Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Here's a glimpse into the official Finnish (download) charts (week 5) for those interested. As you can see, there's a lot of artists you guys probably are familiar with, but plenty of Finnish flavor, too. I've added links to the Finnish songs and short, very subjective descriptions of the Finnish artists for you guys!

1 J. Karjalainen - Mennyt Mies

J. Karjalainen is a veteran (active since the 80s and has had numerous, numerous, numerous hits in his career) Finnish singer-songwriter kind of guy, his sound rooted in blues, rock'n'roll, country and stuff like that - in other words, heavily influenced by American music. He however has a pretty distinct voice and style of songwriting, and while I personally don't really listen to this kind of music, I think J. is a pretty cool dude.

2 will.i.am - Scream & Shout (feat. Britney Spears)

3 Erin - Mitä Tänne Jää

Erin (Anttila) is a pop singer who was a part of an incredibly annoying yet somehow terrifyingly popular nasal pop duo in the 90s, Nylon Beat. Hasn't really been active since Nylon Beat broke up, but is apparently relevant again due to appearing on a dumbass TV show where current or once-popular artists get to cry about how hard it's been or whatever.

4 Olly Murs - Troublemaker (feat. Flo Rida)

5 Raappana - Kauas Pois

Wow, pretty surprised to see these guys here. A "Suomi-Reggae" (Finnish reggae) band, probably on the list because (Finnish) reggae has for some reason been huge here the last year or two. Saw them live years ago for some reason and I thought they were fun and alright, if unremarkable. Apparently they still are.

5 Nicky Romero, Avicii - I Could Be the One

7 Alicia Keys - Girl On Fire

8 PSY - Gangnam Style

9 Haloo Helsinki! - Huuda! Huuda!

A pop-rock band founded by one of the then-teenage band members' dads or something? Light, mostly skin-deep and well-produced pop rock with some electronic influences. I believe they've just recently started contributing to the compositions themselves, so I guess that's a thing.

10 Diamonds - Rihanna

10 Anna Puu - Säännöt Rakkaudelle

A pop singer who apparently got some fame in a 2008 Idols competition. Her sound is vastly more interesting than that of your cookie-cutter pop singer's, though. Instead of overproduced club stuff, she's got a more organic, even folksy sound. I really like her vocals, as well. Fun fact: Her name can be literally translated to "Gimme a tree"

edit: Another fun (?) fact: My friend who works at a public swimming pool café has seen her titties

12 Cheek - Anna mä meen (feat. Jonne Aaron)

Cheek is a rage-inducingly annoying rear end in a top hat of a rapper utterly shamelessly ripping off the American chart rap thing. For some reason he's one of the best-earning artists in the entirety of this goddamn loving country. Every single thing about him drives me loving insane, but you can, of course, make up your own mind. Jonne Aaron, the singer of the nowadays largely irrelevant emo rock band Negative is featuring on this track for whatever reason. I guess it's again because of the TV show about artists crying or whatever

13 P!nk - Try

14 Macklemore & Ryan Lewis - Thrift Shop (feat. Wanz)

15 Swedish House Mafia - Don't You Worry Child (feat. John Martin)

16 Ellie Goulding - Figure 8

17 The Script - Hall Of Fame (feat will.i.am)

18 Jannika B - Seuraavaan Elämään

Yet another Finnish pop singer. I don't actually follow the charts at all so I'd never actually heard of her before. Apparently she took part in the 2007 and 2008 Idols as well as X Factor, but as those didn't work out, she just started making music herself. She released her first album just a couple of days ago on Feb 1st and she's... actually really good? She's got this really dark, melancholy (Finnish?) feel to her music and has some surprisingly evil electronics going on under her ice cool vocals. I gotta say, based on this one track she kicks rear end and I really, really like her! drat!

19 Adele - Skyfall

19 Calvin Harris feat. Florence Welch - Sweet Nothing

19 Flo Rida - I Cry

edit: Holy gently caress Jannika B is loving amazing aaarghhh????

edit2: At first I didn't feel like doing the rest of the top 30 but there are a couple interesting ones in there, so hey why not:

22 Bruno Mars - Locked Out of Heaven

23 Nicki Minaj - Va Va Voom

23 CMX - Rikkisuudeltu (Spotify link since this song doesn't have a music video)

A veteran Finnish rock band active since the 80s. Their style is a melancholy and at times really heavy blend of rock, punk and progressive rock. They've been around for a long time but I can't really say I've ever listened to them that much (probably should, though). They've got a pretty distinctive, very Finnish sound and an unyielding artistic vision they intend to follow to the end without shooting for the charts - really just a bunch of honest, hard-working dudes, which I can always appreciate. They've got a bit of a holy status in the Finnish music field and are pretty much universally revered, for good reason. Especially their singer (and poet) A. W. Yrjänä is a beloved figure. Really liking this new track.

25 Pitbull - Don't Stop the Party

26 Jontte Valosaari - Jos Mä Oisin Sun Mies (feat. Elastinen)

Never heard of this guy before, know literally nothing about him. Apparently a new pop/rap singer person. Shameless brostep-influenced club / chart stuff. This track features Elastinen, one of the biggest Finnish hip hop artists and producers, mostly party-oriented.

27 Teflon Brothers - Seksikkäin Jäbä (feat. Stig & Meiju Suvas)

What the gently caress is this poo poo. apparently the newest humor-rap thing with a once-popular guest schlager singer. Why are these some sort of thing in Finland

28 Amaranthe - The Nexus

29 Marina & The Diamonds - How to Be a Heartbreaker

30 David Guetta - She Wolf (Falling to Pieces)

30 Kuningas Pähkinä & Setä Tamu - Hei Scully

what

edit: Actually, this poo poo is brilliant. Too bad most of you are gonna miss the loving astounding lyrics, here's a quick translation of the refrain: "Hey Scully, dump that Mulder's rear end / or there's gonna be another murder / You know, you've got a cosmic derriere / Take it out, take it out / I'd do your black hole even while sober"

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Feb 6, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU