Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
The Ronson album that Uptown Funk is on is also really drat good, though it's really short. It's worth listening to; that Mystikal track is a loving banger. His last album had some good tracks on it too, especially the one with Boy George.

I figure the albums are the difference; he clearly wrote a bunch of songs and wanted to release them as his album instead of just giving them to other artists for their own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

I'm not looking to troll; I swear to god this is an honest question:

Can someone explain to me what is good about Lana Del Rey

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Mermaid Autopsy posted:

Short answer: because there is nobody out there like her. I wish there was, because then I wouldn't be so bored with music at the moment.

dude there is so much loving music out in the world that is infinitely more interesting than Lana Del Rey

this opinion is freaking me out. holding up a sad bored rich white girl as the end-all be-all of pop music at the moment. what on earth.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

I'm gonna try to listen to Ultraviolence later, I guess. Maybe I will find something there that I don't get from random links to her tracks, they just all seem so dull :shrug:

Man, I really liked that new Weeknd single after inadvertently ignoring him for the last few years, and now I'm listening to his older stuff and it's really loving good! I'm working through his mixtape compilation and it all kind of blends together, but I dig the atmosphere. Also every time I fade back in and pay attention to the lyrics it's some of the filthiest poo poo I've ever heard. I like what he has going.

The other two singles off the new album track a little closer to his earlier aesthetic than the straight pop of Can't Feel My Face. Looking forward to hearing the rest of the album.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Mermaid Autopsy posted:

I kind of think pop music peaked somewhere around 1968.

I mean I can sort of get down with this but I don't think Lana Del Rey's ever released something like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJKe2j9Wjh4

or

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-NhojnwMh8

or

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3bjMtqpGBw

Sir Lemming posted:

Anyway, the very first track of Ultraviolence, "Cruel World", is by far the best thing I've heard by her. The rest of the album has its ups and downs. So if that track doesn't impress you, don't get your hopes up for the rest of it.

this track is pretty good though, I'll keep listening

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

ugh Emotion is probably the pop album of the year isn't it

I loathed Call Me Maybe but jesus christ this album is good

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Mermaid Autopsy posted:

It's just so … basic, why? :psyduck:

I mean, yeah, in contrast to something like the new Empress Of album (which is fantastic and I just posted about it in the indie thread yesterday), it's a really simple thing. But her voice is very good and the music is very well-produced, so I'm happy with it. It's certainly not any more "basic" than bland albums like 1989.

I mean Artpop is still the gold standard for modern pop music production (that title track sounds like nothing else I've ever heard) but I'll take what I can get.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

interpunct posted:

There actually is a radio edit of the song that keeps the instrumental remix but replaces Kendrick Lamar's verses with the original lyrics.

Reminds me of the radio edit of Feel Good Inc that just doubled-up the first verse.

Clear Channel goes to great lengths to keep their pop stations free of the scary rap music

Mermaid Autopsy posted:

I don't think we are ever going to be friends. The first 3 minutes of it are interesting, though, before she has a chance to remind us how absurd her lyrics are.

man this is the pop music thread, how are lyrics even coming up. I can't think of a single pop star of the last five years who has overall good lyrics

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Sep 11, 2015

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Don't know exactly where to post this, but this thread basically works. Disclosure and Sam Smith did a cover of Drake's Hotline Bling that is loving fantastic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDCcC_psV24

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

PUGGERNAUT posted:

New thread title please.

"The Pop Music Thread: please let us manage you Carly Rae Jepsen"

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

interpunct posted:

I am helping Carly Rae Jepsen's failure of a marketing team by buying tickets to see her in November.

do you have a presale code :pray:

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

interpunct posted:

Pretty much. But if you're dying to spend $35 (or $100 on a VIP Meet and Greet) RIGHT NOW, it's fahlocarly

Did you get an extra ticket, by any chance? I missed the presale and it's sold out now. I don't want to drop $65 on an aftermarket ticket :(

Y'all loving crazy for thinking that CRJ wouldn't sell out a 1000-capacity venue in NYC, by the way. I know she's mismanaged, but she's not that mismanaged. Hopefully her star continues to plummet and I'll be able to pick something up cheap on StubHub day-of, I guess.

e: cheapest is $60 on StubHub after fees; wasn't it $35 after fees originally. argghhhh

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Oct 3, 2015

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

e: wrong thread; thought this was the indie thread because the new CHVRCHES and Metric were also discussed there :v:

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Anyone else read The Song Machine? It's a book about the industrialization of modern pop music, with the author crafting a sort-of-narrative out of the development of different artists and songwriters. It doesn't always succeed, and has some weird inaccuracies (this article covers some of them, even if it's way too bitter), but it's compelling enough that it kept me reading.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

HorseRenoir posted:

I'm still of the very small segment of weirdos that thinks that Artpop is Gaga's best album (not counting Fame Monster)

Artpop is my favorite pop album since Fame Monster, TBH. Though that new CRJ is close, if not as consistent.

There isn't a bad track on Artpop, IMHO, which is rarely the case with a pop album these days

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

MooCowlian posted:

I like most of the songs on Artpop individually but it's kind of a mess when shoved together into an album, worse than 1989 is.

Really? I thought it was pretty coherent as an album, certainly more than The Fame or Born This Way. Hard for me to look at objectively after having listened to it so many times as an album, though.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

welcome to new yoooooooooooooooooork

sometimes I hate this city. I'm gonna hold out for Wednesday and then pay however much I have to (unless it goes above like $90 or something insane) to see CRJ because I like that album but gently caress

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Ok well apparently I'm going to this super secret incredibly hip show in a loving Macy's because those tickets are still $60+ on StubHub

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Nov 10, 2015

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

it's weird because CRJ is someone who should be playing at Terminal 5, not... well, terminal 5

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Oh my god wait did she actually play JFK Terminal 5 that's incredible

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

every loving song on that album should be a single

also gently caress you interpunct I was happy with my spot until you posted that :(

(that's actually really zoomed, but Irving Plaza's a good venue and even halfway back in the crowd I felt like I had a good view)

also that makes two shows I've seen where Dev Hynes has just randomly showed up (the first was Empress Of), though this time I think only me and maybe 20 other people knew who he was

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Nov 12, 2015

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

forgot to go to CRJ's exclusive secret Macy's Basement Show but someone I follow on Twitter says it's basically empty, welp

I am just... baffled. By whatever's happening with her. Like we've made fun of how little promotion there was for the album, but the sad truth is there was some, she had subway ads and poo poo. But they picked a gimmicky opening single that just made her seem even more like a novelty act. Meanwhile, I had to pay $ludicrous to see her sold-out show, and I know that selling out a 1000-capacity venue in NYC isn't a huge accomplishment, but she seems to have a big fanbase. Maybe she should just pivot to indiepop or something; this album's been really critically successful among the poptimist crowd.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

this is still the only interesting adele song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjiswvTXdzA

I remember hearing this back when I listened to Radio 1 pretty often, before the original had really broken in America, and nothing else has lived up to it :( Jamie XX should produce or remix more pop stars with a good voice but boring songwriting

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

listening to Emotion again and it reminded me to post one of my favorite album cuts from it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBPw0l26L58

On an album where, supposedly, every song was produced with the idea that it could be a potential single, this is one of the few that really stick out as an actual experiment. I'm a sucker for pitched-down vocals, if you didn't guess from that Adele remix I posted earlier, and I really like it.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

CRJ upgrading from a 1k to 3k capacity show in NYC :unsmith: http://www.ticketmaster.com/event/00004F88E82F60C2?brand=terminal_5

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

couple of CRJ tracks leaked, apparently:

http://www.bkmag.com/2016/02/04/listen-to-two-new-outtakes-off-carly-rae-jepsens-e%C2%B7mo%C2%B7tion/

they're a little more polished on the production side than the average demos but her vocals seem very unsweetened, which is kind of refreshing

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

PUGGERNAUT posted:

I am going to the Carly Rae Jepsen concert soon! Has anyone else seen her on this tour? What should I expect? My husband is convinced we are gonna be the oldest people there (I'm 26 he's 29).

she plays the entirety of EMOTION (including bonus tracks) plus 6 other songs (at least one of which I'm sure you can guess). it's loving incredible, I paid $80 for my ticket (stubhub :argh:) and didn't regret it

you can go on setlist.fm to spoil yourself on the specifics since she plays the exact same setlist at each show, but that's the gist of it

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Josh Lyman posted:

There was also that secret concert in the basement of Macy's NYC that wasn't advertised so I don't think anyone went

a twitter friend of mine went to this and said there were only 30-40 people and she got her picture taken with Carly :argh:

this was the night after she sold out Irving Plaza (cap 1000) and I had to pay $70 for a Stubhub ticket while all of her other shows that tour were at venues where you could get tickets for literally $8 on Stubhub because (a) the venues were too big and (b) her tour was insanely underpromoted. she came back to Terminal 5 (3000 cap) and sold out there so like, she clearly has an audience just terrible management

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Good Will Hrunting posted:

Still can't decide if I want to pull the trigger on CRJ tickets for this Friday at Terminal 5.

she's fantastic so yeah probably

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

very excited for CRJ x Danny L Harle http://www.stereogum.com/1878457/watch-danny-l-harle-debut-his-carly-rae-jepsen-collab-at-pop-cosmos/video/

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Fever :captainpop:

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

i mean the b-sides are pretty good (except "Store" which is really really bad) but i'm happy none of them made the cut and i don't need an hour and a half version of that album, lol

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Yoshifan823 posted:

Except Store. That song blows (but it's still hella catchy).

there's a world where that song's hook just had slightly better instrumentation under it (like some loud brass or something) and it become a huge hit and i'm glad it didn't happen

like, I Really Like You is a little bit in that vain, but it's nowhere near as obnoxious

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

ive made this post like 15 times on this forum at this point but Artpop is the best Gaga album and the best pop album of 2013. heck it'd be hard for me to choose between it and newer albums like Art Angels or Emotion. it's a fantastic record, every song is great, the production is unmatched, and it still sounds futuristic as heck

Perfect Illusion sounds fine. I didn't love Applause at first listen but this has grown on me just like it did. whoever said it seems really thin is totally right, it needs more verse and less chorus (and whoever compared it to a Eurovision song was 800% spot-on). at the same time, I think it could work better in the album than as a standalone single, cuz Artpop has plenty of "thin" songs that are great (Fashion!)

i'm allowing myself to get cautiously optimistic about this record on the strength of that song, at least! which is more than i was expecting from Gaga cuz I figured Artpop being a flop meant she would turn into a more boring direction, and it seems like she still might, but at least her voice is still great?

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

I used TT by Twice as my alarm for like 6 months. I think it's legitimately the best pop song of the past 5 years and I don't think I'll ever find a kpop song I like half as much

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

https://twitter.com/billboard/status/941316916878172160

🤔

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

DC Murderverse posted:

Fame Monster and ARTPOP are both better than Born This Way

artpop is my favorite pop album of the last 5 years, but i'd probably only recommend it to someone new to pop only if i were trying to get more recruits for my extremely weird cause

anyways yeah fame monster is great and the fame has some really good stuff in it. i dunno pop music in 2017 is such an amorphous and weird thing; you heard lemonade yet? go listen to that a bunch

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Sir Lemming posted:

We're one week out from The Beatles' white album remix, and a "Glass Onion" single is now on streaming services. This is the first remix that's truly blown me away. It goes hard. The drums and bass pound in a way they never have before. The strings are mixed pretty aggressively, which some might not like, but I do. This really gets me excited for the full release next week.

i havent heard this but im just going to assume its literally the instrumental version of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFd1QvNPKmI

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

the newest miley cyrus trainwreck ep has this genuinely beautiful/atmospheric ballad buried at the end? fuckin wild

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvZ15ZyRjnc

DC Murderverse posted:

well if you don't like new Kesha how about a really dope, personal cover of Kesha? Sir Babygirl already put out one of the best pop albums of the year (like half of the album is bangers) and this is a really great treatment of a song that means very much to the artist.

seein sir babygirl at a rooftop show in a couple weeks and i'm fuckin stoked for it, surprised that album hasn't picked up at all since its kinda end to end perfect, if short

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jun 7, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Wrote up a huge effort post about how excited I am for this Gaga record but it’s probably not needed

I just need this album to be out on streaming services in the US. And I desperately need an extended 12” remix of Sour Candy

look at this goddamn playlist: https://open.spotify.com/playlist/37i9dQZF1DXaB4n0u69YR3?si=mNO_YIDKSnuOMXBxVKA9rQ regardless of whether she actually assembled it or not you can immediately tell they know exactly what this album is supposed to be

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 00:45 on May 29, 2020