Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

DC Murderverse posted:

edit: or maybe Adele defeated her in hand-to-hand combat and was the British Soul Singer releasing their debut in 2008 that was allowed to take the Winehouse British Soul Crown

See, I have a really distinct recollection of a newspaper double-spread from 2008 or 2009 or so giving the odds on who would be the "heir to Amy" (this was around the time when her life had basically imploded completely) and if I remember correctly, Adele was only in the middle of the pack; Duffy was ranked higher, as were Lily Allen and K.T. Tunstall. Also included were Kate Nash, Katie Melua and Elly Jackson of La Roux. Don't remember if Eliza Doolittle was in it or not though she may well have been. I'm not exactly sure when "Rollerskates" was a hit.

Little Boots was also around at that time. I remember seeing her on an episode of Jools Holland and thinking she was quite good, then after that... nada. Never heard from her again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Question that's not really about pop music but is adjacent to it: what's the heaviest album that's ever gotten to number one on Billboard 200? I think it must be either Slave to the Grind by Skid Row or Far Beyond Driven by Pantera but no doubt there's some other one that managed to sneak in at number one for one week in the 80s or something.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

DC Murderverse posted:

nothing from the 1980s, there were less albums reaching the top slot during that decade because the really really popular albums would stay there for weeks upon weeks (hey Thriller),

Looking at the number-one album pages for 1983 and 1984 (edging into early 1985) on Wikipedia is fun because of how overwhelmingly dominant Thriller, Purple Rain and Born In the USA were between them.

I believe Born In the USA was number one for a few weeks, then it was number two for months during the 24-week reign of Purple Rain, then it was back at number one again.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

DC Murderverse posted:

10 albums hit #1 over the course of 1983 and 1984, with only 3 of those albums holding the spot for 2 or less weeks (Metal Health, Flashdance, Sports). in comparison, 2018 alone had 40 different albums reach the top spot, with only one holding the spot for more than 3 weeks (Scorpion).

My favourite piece of UK album chart trivia:

The soundtrack to South Pacific was the number-one album in Britain for a cumulative 115 weeks.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The MSJ posted:

When was it that the top song in the US was about the Australian government blowing up the ancestral home of the Aborigines?

I believe that was "Beds Are Burning" by Midnight Oil, which was 1987.

I know this because there's a Todd In the Shadows video about it from a couple of years ago which I rewatched recently. Same video (I think) made an interesting observation that grunge didn't just kill off hair metal; it also largely did away with a lot (not all, but a lot) of pre-grunge alternative rock.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Since I've been out of the loop with pop music for most of the past year, I hadn't even realised that "soundcloud rap"/"mumble rap" had become the big thing. I've listened to some of it and it doesn't impress me very much; I'm not sure if it is sustainable or if it's just a fad that will pass.

Combined with hearing "We Are Young" by fun (remember fun? Remember Gotye? Remember Foster the People?) played as muzak in a shop earlier today, it has me thinking, what's the most recent example of a genre which seemed to be riding high, on top of the world for a while, then just died a death and you stopped hearing about it completely?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I recently saw this "Where are they now?" clickbait for some infamously bad contestants on the UK version of X Factor; the title listed "Ant and Seb, AbLisa and Cher Lloyd" which is certainly something, because Cher Lloyd actually had a short-lived pop music career including a number-one single!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I was surprised to realise that X Factor is still on, actually. I had a notion that it had ended a few years ago. It doesn't seem like anyone's made much of a splash from it in a while. I couldn't tell you who won any of them since that emo guy who got in trouble for doing a racist/homophobic rap on Twitter a couple of years afterwards. The only ones who have had much in the way of consistent success since they won is Little Mix (not counting One Direction since I believe they split up). I don't think even most of the runners-up have had big pop music careers, which always used to be the case.

Who remembers Same Difference?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Looking on Wikipedia, there's so many winners who have one high-charting album and a number-one single on Simon Cowell's label, then nothing else charts or stalls in the mid-30s. Apparently the winner of the twelfth series in 2015 (Louisa Johnson) still doesn't have an album out. Probably not much in the way of momentum if and when she does get one recorded.

The one I remember is Katie Waissel, because she was never very good and had several very poor performances but kept getting saved by the judges for some reason. I think that was the last time I paid attention to it. Still, it's crazy to think how big it was in its heyday.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
They never seem to have an idea of what to do with male winners in particular. They all seem to end up doing the same anaemic-sounding guitar pop that manages to sound almost as tedious as Snow Patrol.

One Direction got there in the end but at least they led off with some upbeat material.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think my favourite bad X Factor audition after all these years is still Ant and Seb:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkKaTeWI3KM

Edit: Runner-up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSDFB5Tvo1U

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jan 7, 2019