Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Has anyone else listened to the new Hurts album, Exile? I absolutely loved their debut album, Happiness, but Exile is doing nothing for me. Happiness was chock full of cheesy pop ballads with massive vocal hooks and great synth lines. Exile seems to be taking a more modern approach (I could swear I hear a wub or two at some points during the album, and the lyrics seem to be more dark and edgy (read: embarrassing) rather than the cheesy goodness we got from Happiness. So far all I have come across is praise for Exile (from fans of the group at least), but I was just wondering whether anyone felt the same way I do. Exile does have a few redeeming moments, but it is nowhere near as great as the debut, and there's definitely nothing as good as Better than Love.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Maremidon posted:

He put a Flo Rida song on his top ten best songs of the year video.

I think that about says it all.

Hey, Whistle is admittedly awful, but still a really enjoyable song IMO. Re: Hurts: Exile isn't that bad, I just think my expectations were a bit high. Mercy is a good track, at least. There are a few other standouts as well. The end of the album feels pretty weak, but Happiness definitely tailed off too.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Yoshifan823 posted:

edit: That said, Roar blows and I hate it and hate listening to it.

I actually like Katy Perry, but yeah this song is awful. Also I agree with the general sentiment that there seems to be a lot of pop around at the moment that I really enjoy.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Sprat Sandwich posted:

Just an FYI the CHVRCHES album is really good, 'We Sink', 'Gun', 'Tether' and 'Lies' are my favourites, with 'Recover' being my least and when they let one of the guys have a go (layered in some songs, solo in 'Under The Tide', 'You Caught The Light') it sounds like what the new Naked And Famous album should've been.

Love the synths on this. If there's any other painfully 80s stuff that came out recently, please recommend away! I've been digging the Blouse album from a couple of years ago myself. Kind of sounds like The Cure, Kate Bush and Blondie in a blender. Listen.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Any other Ejecta fans here? Dreamy, snythy glory. I can't get enough. Similar recommendations would be very welcome: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjXLmdPADzY

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

the truth posted:

I listened to Katy B's Little Red a few times with ear buds and just now am getting a chance to sit down at home and enjoy it with my Bose headphones. It's like listening to it for the first time all over again. The standout tracks for me are "Crying For No Reason" and "Still." I know the house/dance stuff is her niche, but those songs are more lyrical and show off her voice.

Didn't see her "Drunk In Love" cover posted yet, either: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKIf5C5xshU

I just came here to post "Katy B is amazing and I should've listened to you guys sooner". The mixed version of the album on the deluxe edition is stunning.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Deep Cuts is the best. Do The Knife count as pop? is there anything else similar to this album?

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
gently caress. This Taylor Swift song is good. It reminds me of Tegan & Sara- Heartthrob.

I can never admit this to my little sister. Or anyone. Ever.

e: I don't know what the thread consensus is on Chvrches, but they debuted a new song live recently and it sounds great. More of the same if you're already into their sound, doubt it will win you over if you're not. Can't wait for the official release. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWJV9Kz7Bs8

nomapple fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Oct 15, 2014

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
I really like it, but it's definitely a bit long and I really don't like the ballad-y tracks. Are We Out of the Woods? and Style are clear favourites so far.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
The official version of that Chvrches song dropped, and it's ace: http://www.stereogum.com/1716502/chvrches-dead-air/mp3s/

I love them so much, their live show was so good when I saw them last week as well. ALL OF THE LASERS (and good songs!). Really want a proper version of Get Away to become available in the UK. I think they're gonna start work on a new album soon, and I can't wait.

PUGGERNAUT posted:

This is also good in a Disclosure/Gorgon City way:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0NbhIKG3PQ

I really like this, cheers. Some people here might appreciate the Kyla La Grange album that came out earlier this year. I don't think I've seen it mentioned here. The first track and the last track are clearly the best cuts from it though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GINpKSkZawk

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLNbfUFu3EA

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

DominoDancing posted:

Holy crap, the new Brandon Flowers single is AMAZING! 80s inspired production and a catchy chorus is a formula that will never not work for me.

http://consequenceofsound.net/2015/03/brandon-flowers-debuts-new-singles-cant-deny-my-love-listen/

:eyepop:

I always had a bit of a soft spot for Hot Fuss/Sam's Town, but kinda stopped paying attention to The Killers and him. Holy poo poo this is amazing! Massive chorus. Really sounds like HAIM in parts, not a bad thing!

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Yeah I'm trying not to listen to the singles too much so that I enjoy the album as a whole.

I loved Hot Fuss when it came out and I'm excited to be excited about his artistic output again.

Also I guess they're kind of relevant to this thread, so, I just saw Purity Ring live and holy poo poo it was so much better than the albums. Really good set, cool stage show, and the production sounded great. You could tell they were actually doing stuff, not just playing off a USB. Also they mixed their songs together well, which was a treat considering a lot of similar groups don't do this. It really helped the momentum of their set.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

DominoDancing posted:

I think it's not on iTunes or Spotify yet, but radio in the UK has started playing "I Can Change" from the new Brandon Flowers album, and believe it or not, it's ANOTHER good song. Bronski Beat sample and (very small) Neil Tennant cameo, how couldn't it be good?

http://adamdanielsmusic.bandcamp.com/track/i-can-change-brandon-flowers

Fffffffff A BRONSKI BEAT SAMPLE! This guy, what happened to him?! This rules!

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Yoshifan823 posted:

I bought a poster for the Bad Blood video. I may be in too deep.

(on the other side look how cool it is:)

This poster is amazing.

The new Brandon Flowers album is streaming on iTunes and the singles are by far the best thing about it, aside from "Lonely Train". I dunno, I'm really not convinced. Can't Deny My Love and the one with the Bronski Beat sample got me so excited.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Yeah the CRJ album is stunning. Amazed by how consistent it is for a 17 track monster. Seriously, wow.

I hope it gets the attention it deserves. 1989 has some massive songs but wasn't great as an album imo. I'm sure I'll start cherry picking tracks from Emotion eventually, but it's a great listen all the way through as well.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Best songs:
Run Away With Me
Gimmie Love
Your Style
I Didn't Just Come Here To Dance

But I reckon overall it's a lot more even than 1989 still.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
New Chvrches track. Album out September 25th. I can't wait. https://soundcloud.com/chvrches/chvrches-leave-a-trace

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Store is not good.

I am so happy with how fantastic the rest of it is though.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
I really like Warm Blood :/ All That is the only real skip track on Emotion for me.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
I did not enjoy the singles from Melodrama but I am digging the album including the tracks released as singles. What is this witchery?

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

DC Murderverse posted:

while we're on Taylor Watch, here's a Rolling Stone article where some dude who really likes Taylor ranks 115 of her songs. It was written a few weeks ago, so the only Reputation songs it has are the first two singles, but the list itself is... alright. His top ten is:

1. All Too Well
2. New Romantics
3. Long Live
4. Blank Space
5. We Are Never Getting Back Together
6. Dear John
7. Holy Ground
8. Clean
9. Red
10. Our Song

which is missing a bunch of stone-cold classics.

The correct list, for those at home is:

1. Style
2. Enchanted
3. Mean
4. Long Live
5. New Romantics (but +3 if it's this awesome mashup of New Romantics and I Really Like You)
6. Mine
7. You Belong With Me
8. Sparks Fly
9. Red
10. Love Story

The objective criteria are how many times I've listened to them, how easy they are to belt out when I'm alone in my car, how much they make me feel like I'm 15 again, and emotional content.

Stoked to see someone put Clean in their top 10. I love that track. I haven't listened to Reputation yet, haven't liked any of the singles and having to put more effort in than opening Spotify to hear it is... nah.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

The MSJ posted:

I read a comment elsewhere saying that the song becomes better if you believe Swift is singing about Karlie Kloss. And also if you imagine Dress is directed towards another woman.

Semi-related thought that I have had a lot recently: Amy Winehouse- Back To Black is an amazing song anyway, but I always like to imagine it is a man singing it about another man who is maybe questioning his sexuality. The whole song would fit that really well. Hope to see a gay guy cover it someday I guess.

Still too scared to listen to Reputation. 1989 really grew on me, I feel like listening to Reputation will tarnish my t-swift enjoyment somehow.

Athletic Footjob posted:

Taylor Swift is a gay virgin white supremacist.

New thread title.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Should I listen to Blue Lips even if I didn't like Lady Wood much?

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Dirty Computer is fantastic. I feel like it might drop off in the second half a bit, but I'm sure I'll get into it. I enjoyed all the singles but they hit 10x harder on the record, especially Django Jane.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
After a few listens, the only real dud for me is the Pharrell track. The rest is good. Americans isn't really my thing, sounds like it could have come from a musical, and I hate musicals. It's not bad though, I hope it grows on me. The other songs in the second half are great. Usually the Pharrell track wouldn't bother me, but the run of tracks before it is so strong that it always sticks out a bit for me.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
The cover art is pretty bad but hopefully the song bangs. Fingers crossed for PC Music production.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Glad to see someone else enjoying Girls. Seen so much hate for this track online. People seem to think it's biphobic which as a bi guy, I am not really noticing? Getting drunk and kissing a member of the same sex is absolutely a valid part of the bisexual experience. It took me a long time to come to terms with the fact that my feelings for men were romantic as well as sexual. I'm not saying there aren't issues with it but the backlash it's received feels so extreme. I think it's a good, fun song.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Sio posted:

As a bi woman who used to present as a bi man, the two experiences have been so wildly divergent that it can be hard for me to reconcile them. The society-driving hetero male gaze obviously falls on women (queer or straight) in a radically different manner than it does men, and while not every woman is going to respond to it in the same way, it's easy for me to see how a woman might listen to Girls and think it reeks of the ever-present fetishization that can be so tiresome to deal with.

In my case, the chorus is true enough to my own lived experience that it doesn't really bother me at all, but I find some of the lines on the features to be so rough that they leave me cold on the whole thing. I don't know that I would call the song biphobic, certainly not in the way that the song that inspired it is, but it's lyrically careless in a way that it doesn't need to be.

I think this is one of the reason why the song is subject to such prominent backlash, honestly. When the world is full of all this amazing and highly visible queer music, people are quicker to try and enforce new standards in terms of thoughtfulness.

Thanks for this. Yeah I realised after seeing some more tweets and stuff that a lot of the backlash against it seems to stem from the fetishisation, which is not something that I have experienced as a bi guy.

100% agree that standards are higher now, and from the POV that the visibility of this song will be very high, whilst other tracks that deal with the subject better go ignored, the vitriolic backlash makes a bit more sense to me.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
I loved the first 2 Chvrches records but this is kind of boring. The hooks feel annoyingly repetitive this time. I like a couple of the songs but by the last few tracks I was almost waiting for it to be over. I hope it grows on me but there are just so many strong albums out this year that I would be surprised if it gets heavy rotation from me like the others did.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
I dunno if it's a bit too minimalist/experimental for this thread, but Tirzah- Devotion is a really beautiful debut that I've been enjoying a lot. The production is deceptively deep and the whole record is just really warm and emotive.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
breathin is a total jam and definitely my early favourite.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Too Much is absolutely the standout track. I am glad I avoided it as a single release so it's a nice surprise on the album, love it.

Overall the album is good but not standout.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Honestly the new Charli is so perfect to me. I always liked her more introspective or sentimental tracks so I think I was predisposed to love this one but it really does hit. All of the tracks bring something to the table for me. Even though I think "I Finally Understand" is one of the weaker songs, I find the lyrics really striking.

The double hitter of Anthems and Visions is a hell of a way to end the album. As a massive Charli fan & just the circumstances it was made & released under I wouldn't be surprised if this is my AOTY. I've been leaning heavily on older, familiar music while in lockdown but I can't stop going back to this. It's wonderful.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Coming back to say the new Perfume Genius is really good and maybe his most accessible to date. Every time I listen to it, it gets better. Would recommend for anyone in the mood for something more chilled and/or arty. The first half is particularly good.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Probably too soon to call it as I'm only up to Heartbeat, but so far I like this more than side A. Probably just an expectations thing though. I love Emotion and was mad disappointed with Dedicated. I felt like that album had a real "background music" vibe for the most part. This is grabbing me more but like I say, too early to call it/lowered expectations.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

nomapple posted:

Probably too soon to call it as I'm only up to Heartbeat, but so far I like this more than side A. Probably just an expectations thing though. I love Emotion and was mad disappointed with Dedicated. I felt like that album had a real "background music" vibe for the most part. This is grabbing me more but like I say, too early to call it/lowered expectations.

Coming back to say that I am def preferring side B. I dunno whether it's better just because of the whole expectations thing, but I can't stop coming back. Summer Love probably my highlight at the moment. Suspect I will be going back to Dedicated with fresh ears as well. I find the production so much more interesting on this record. Love what sounds like a slowed down steel pan on the last track and the totally ABBA bit in Summer Love.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Trouble Will Find me is great...

FWIW I don't hear The National comparison for Folklore, but I haven't listened to it in full yet.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Solomon Gumball posted:

I haven't listened to folklore yet since I'm not much of Taylor Swift fan. She's had a large fair share of really catchy pop and for as much as she gets ragged on about people trying to figure out who each song is about but it works for her, people want to know more.

I'm not a big The National fan, I think the best they did was help a Canadian musician named Hayden get some revival and new albums. The man is up there with Leonard Cohen and Elliott Smith when he writes a depressing song, it's gutting each time. I've always respected the National even if they weren't my thing (I was in the Interpol camp from the beginning if we're comparing baritone/bass indie singers popular in the 00s).

Anyone listen to Lana's poetry audiobook? I think she has some idea of trying to really cultivate her cult of of personality. She's friends with Jared Leto who has a legit cult going. She obviously is trying to be Leonard Cohen or a poet that transitioned to music, but it's coming off more like Jewel but her hungriest of fans will eat it up. I speak as a big Lana fan but it's just very hard for a musician to jump to poetry successfully without being mocked like hell, be it Billy Corrigan or Jewel.

Another thing unrelated: when the gently caress did all these artists become e.e. cummings with their titles? It feels so obnoxious anymore, even in indie rock lately I've seen, no capitalization. What's the purpose? It just feels like it makes the artist wrote it in a hurry which isn't the case for most.

I agree on your Lana assessment. I loved NFR so I was willing to give this a shot and... nah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
The new Dorian Electra goes hard but the bro-step sound is not one that needs to come back, even ironically. Maybe I'm just old.