Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

But it's really bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

The best non-EMOTION pop album of recent years is actually Rainbow.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Ibblebibble posted:

Is this where we discuss Kacey Musgraves? Cause I've been listening to Lonely Weekend on repeat for ages and it's so good.

The whole album is excellent, I love the sound she's landed on a lot. It totally. Special shout to high horse for it's genre blending without sounding out of place.

That said, I do still miss some of the edge and humour that was all over STDP. It felt so genuine and personal in a way that's really uncommon (or that doesn't cross my personal music intake). I can't begrudge her evolution as an artist but it's not quite as fun to listen to.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

A shame. I assume she wanted to cash in on her Singer success in China as soon as possible and rushed it out.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

He's an x factor winner from 2012, the only real surprise is that he's still in some way noteworthy six years later.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Wheat Loaf posted:

Looking on Wikipedia, there's so many winners who have one high-charting album and a number-one single on Simon Cowell's label, then nothing else charts or stalls in the mid-30s. Apparently the winner of the twelfth series in 2015 (Louisa Johnson) still doesn't have an album out. Probably not much in the way of momentum if and when she does get one recorded.

I've never got the impression that Syco really wants to invest anything into them. I mean, I know some of them probably aren't worth a huge investment anyway, but the number of people who sign on and then only get a couple of singles out over the course of the year, with very little promo, I feel like someone could be pushing a little harder.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

If we want to fully stick it to the lady who thinks you should just drain a situation for everything it's worth and gently caress everyone else, I think the best thing to do is listen to and enjoy (if it's good) the fruits of her labour in one of the many ways that pays her gently caress all for it.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Enjoy your life is fantastic.

Marina literally picked the worst songs for the singles as it turns out.

The second half of the album is so much better.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I've been through it a couple of times now and I've got mixed feelings on the Fear part of Love + Fear. I'm enjoying it more than Love but it's still kind of disappointing after her previous work. I can see myself coming around to it but it's not quite up there lyrically and it's nowhere near as instantly catchy as most of Froot. I'm seeing her on the tour though so hopefully she really brings it.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

What little we've heard from Carly since emotion side b has been very disappointing.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

More positively, I saw Marina last night and it was my first ever live show (that wasn't a village band or something) so with no comparables at all I'm going to declare it amazing. She pulled out all my old favourites (lost it when she went into Savages) and Love + Fear definitely benefits hugely from the live atmosphere.

She had Glowie opening, who I'd never heard of but am looking into this morning and enjoying a bunch.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8a2bVCMZPms

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

So you all managed to get versions of the album that were missing Making the Most of the Night, huh? You're missing out on the best one!

edit: genuine post, I really wish the Target/Japan special release had come out in other regions. Youtube seems to be the only place I can hear Love Again and Never Get to Hold You which really sucks.

Deformed Church fucked around with this message at 20:22 on May 21, 2019

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I really like it.

I'm still not at all sure where the album is going as a whole but it's a strong return after the traditional shitpile of a lead single.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Yeah theres way more opportunities to see Ariana.

Also Carly's music is better.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I love store. It's not the most complex meaningful song but its lots of fun.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I just saw Kero Kero Bonito live and it was amazing. I'd absolutely recommend seeing them if you get a chance.

They cranked the drums and guitars right up and Sarah makes an incredible rock star. Trampoline as a rock song is one of the coolest things I've ever heard. I have no idea when I last had that much fun.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Every time I go through Lover I feel like I pick up another couple of songs that hadn't stood out to me before. My "don't like" list is basically just ME! and You Need To Calm Down now. Even without those it would still feel a little large but I have no idea what I'd actually cut.

It really feels like she's taken her lessons on style and production from 1989 and Reputation and married them with themes from Red and Speak Now, which is basically exactly what I wanted all along. There's still a little bit of me hoping for another album with country pretences but this is really good.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

God loving admit CRJ tickets have just gone on sale and I've already booked myself another show that night.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Grey Area posted:

drat, Future Nostalgia is blowing me away

Break My Heart is definitely the stand out to me, but I am a total sucker for the White Town sample on Love Again.

I'm not super keen on the last couple, not that they're bad but it's a bit they rob it of momentum a bit right at the end. Overall though, every song individually is good and it's a great album.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

DC Murderverse posted:

yeah you could chop those last two off without much complaining. Good in Bed feels like a fun B-side and Boys Will Be Boys feels like a serious single released after some big event happens

honestly The Man might actually be the best "talkin' about feminism pop song" that's come around in a while. I really don't like If I Were a Boy, Boys Will Be Boys is fine, I think the biggest competition would be Kesha's Woman, but that's more of a girl power thing than a song about institutional sexism.

To be honest, if you just put [Bonus Track] in the title of Good in Bed and Boys Will Be Boys, I'd totally let it go. I know I can just cut the album off at 9 tracks anyway but it would be cool to feel that was the intention and they didn't need to be treated as a core part of the album.

I think even if it's not a single event the past few years (and also all the other years before them) give ample space for basically anyone who feels the desire to make a "talkin' about feminism pop song", I can't promise I'll listen to them all but I wouldn't say this isn't an appropriate time for very serious songs about how many terrible men continue to get away with terrible things.

That said, you're wrong about which one is the best because it's Rich, White, Straight Men so Kesha's got that in the bag in perpetuity.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

exquisite tea posted:

Hayley Williams' solo project Petals for Armor is out today and getting some really good reviews. I was blown away by Simmer and Leave it Alone so I'm looking forward to hearing the entire album.

It's so good. Part 3 doesn't stand out to me quite as much as parts 1 and 2 did but it's early days, I feel like these are the kind of songs I'll come round to after a couple of listens.

Also new Aly and AJ song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9P_b2e_01U

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Nurge posted:

I have no idea if this is pop music and I refuse to read this thread because pop music is garbage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNeTflipN6w

gently caress you. Listen to better music.

that can be pop music, thank you

bad news though, i can't actually listen to better music because there is no better music than "store" by carly rae jepsen

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Their Sanctuary EP is fantastic, Church is imo one of the best pop songs of last year. Ten Years is an album worth checking out too if you like them. I am really looking forward to whatever album comes out of Joan of Arc on the Dance Floor and Attack of Panic. Fun live show too, I got to see them last year and it was great.

Then again maybe I'm just a sucker because I'm also that one person still listening to their 78Violet stuff on a regular basis.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

ARTPOP is great, and I'm really looking forward to this. I am a big Joanne fan though, it's pretty unfair we only get one Lady Gaga because I want to listen to both careers.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

NikkolasKing posted:

So is Katy Perry considered old person music at this point? She's the last pop star I really followed.

She's not old person music, but I think her musical style changed in a way people didn't really care for, and she just totally lost momentum. Teenage Dream had five #1s and a #3 (plus another #1 and a #2 on the re-issue). Then Prism was promoted as a darker album and then didn't really deliver that which left it confused, and frankly the actual song quality wasn't great either (two #1s and nothing else broke the top 10). Dark Horse (apparently her biggest single ever) was overpromoted and wasn't really representative of the whole thing which didn't help. Then she disappeared for a while and came back with Witness, which was just kind of a disaster. She promoted it very weirdly (72 hour live stream including a therapy session???), changed her look (which she should be free to do, but you can't deny her appearance was a key part of her branding), and also the songs weren't particularly good or what people wanted by 2017.

She had a basically unsustainable level of success then lost momentum harder than anyone could have predicted, with a mixture of dodgy branding decisions and music that wasn't really as good.

For what it's worth, her new stuff is pretty good and you should stream Daisies.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Yeah, I'm a little disappointed. It feels overproduced? Not like in a cool PC Music way but just everything kind of jumbles together and gets lost in the mush.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I'm in the minority but I still really enjoy LA hallucinations. Its catchy and silly and lots of fun.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

If the music can deliver on the aesthetic's promises then hooooly shitballs this is exactly what I didn't know I wanted or needed. Tomorrow can't come fast enough!!!

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Betty was the standout from my first impression, for the throwback sound as much as anything else, but the whole thing is really good and I'm sure I'll get some more picks from another couple of listens.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Kylie's terrible country phase is actually very good.

Also I'm really liking The Last Great American Dynasty.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I would post in a kpop thread, but in the meantime do you have any recommendations for groups with men and women? I've got pretty into KARD lately but they're basically the only one I've come across.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

New Ava Max, I'm loving the Around The World sample.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdmJnThcBoE

Also, Aly and AJs next single is due on December 2nd, and will be the lead single for the upcoming album.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Deformed Church posted:

Also, Aly and AJs next single is due on December 2nd, and will be the lead single for the upcoming album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poaP-o8klRM

It's not as synthy or poppy as their other stuff but it's still really good!

If you do like their other stuff, they've also compiled their couple of recent EPs and a miscellaneous singles into a full album, We Don't Stop. Nothing new but it's a lot of really fantastic tracks all in one place.

Deformed Church fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Dec 2, 2020

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I'll add Back to December to that list if we're doing picks from her best album, Speak Now. Her newer, stronger voice will probably smash The Story Of Us and Haunted, too.

My understanding is that it really is a re-record rather than any significant re-tool, but I'm interested to see how the self-titled comes out. Her voice and style changed so much just from there to Fearless, I do wonder whether she'll try to re-capture the country thing (and do a better job at it) or go with something a little closer to her later work.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Rarity posted:

Woodvale isn't a new album, it's an old album :tinfoil:

She'll drop woodvale on April 9th too.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Sawayama is my favourite album of 2020. Who's Gonna Save U Now? has been a constant fixture since I first heard it.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

How does everyone feel about the vault tracks? Mr Perfectly Fine is the only one that really stands out to me, it's not a masterpiece but it's at least fun. I can see why the rest are cut. And I know it's a broken record to complain about her female features, but it's bullshit that Keith Urban gets a full verse and Maren Morris is wasted.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

New Marina track, and the album is due on June 11th.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5u3kP85LYI

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Rarity posted:

That is a Tune. What's Marina's recent output been like? I was insanely into her when she first started but dropped off after her third album cause it was a load of shite

You didn't like Froot?????? That's a pop crime.

After that we got Love + Fear which was good but not great. It's all dialed back compared to her first few albums. It's loosely themed around a (supposedly flawed but I'm no expert) philosophical/psychological idea about us only having two emotions, so ymmv if that's something that might bother you. It's only a little more subtle than Purge the Poison. I'm sounding really down on it, I still like it a lot (enough to see her do it live and buy the t-shirt). Her vocals are still great and the production is good, but it's quite different and not as much fun. Exactly which tracks are best is divisive but I love Karma, To Be Human, and Life Is Strange. It also has a Clean Bandit and Luis Fonsi collab, Baby, which is very different but probably my favourite of hers from that era.

She's also done a couple of non album things, Disconnect with Clean Bandit which is kind of generic, and About Love from a film soundtrack, which I really like. Also a parade of leaks and snippets that haven't made it anywhere - if you can find Happy Loner and I'm Not Hungry Anymore they're both cool and it's very disappointing we're not getting thme.

Then for this new era we've had Man's World which is very much like Love + Fear. It's a good Political Song if you like those, and unbearably eye-rolling if you don't. And now Purge the Poison which is more Rina and less like any of that other stuff, and I really hope she leans into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I'm really enjoying SOUR. I've never been a teenage girl processing a break up but I feel like I could pull it off right now. good 4 u and deja vu are still my favourites but of the non singles, enough for you and hope ur ok really stand out to me. The writing is really great throughout and shes obviously got the singing talent (I love that she enunciates so well, my hearing isnt great and it's nice to know what shes saying too). It is slightly ballad heavy but theres plenty of other sounds in there that balance it out enough for me. favourite crime is practically folky.

I guess it helps that there's exactly one obvious comparison for a female lead in a musical dramedy about high schoolers making a transition from TV to the wider music industry, and her output has been very disappointing.