Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Deformed Church posted:

I just saw Lauren Mayberry do her solo show and holy poo poo, this album can't come soon enough. Are You Awake isn't really representative (beyond her voice being incredible as ever), so many bangers. Apparently the next single is coming this week!

bop

On the streaming service of your choice but not youtube for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

DC Murderverse posted:

edit: I’m probably biased because of my love for SN but my first thoughts were Enchanted and Long Live

Both really solid picks. I was thinking State Of Grace, but that was a promo single so if it's disqualified then I'll put Holy Ground in.

Also, Lover is pretty widely considered a bottom tier album but Death by a Thousand Cuts is amazing.

Edit: oh yeah the list. I'd really struggle to rank a lot of these so I have some sympathy, but there's a whole lot of ABBA songs that definitely deserve to be ranked somewhere above loving Hotline Bling, and not at least four hundred songs back.

Deformed Church fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Oct 24, 2023

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

The reason you can tell gently caress The Patriarchy isn't a 2012 Taylor Swift line isn't the patriarchy bit, it's the word gently caress. She was practically squeaky clean at that point, you were lucky to get a drat or a hell. Her first "gently caress" wasn't until folklore.

My conspiracy theory is All Too Well (10 Minute Version) was an exaggeration that got out of hand, and most of those verses and lines were in the ideas stage at most until she got to the point where she was starting to think about vault tracks. As well as some odd word and idea choices, a lot of the added parts are more specific and pointed, as compared to the original which trades almost entirely in metaphor and emotional appeals. To me, it really feels like it's an older, more experienced, freer Taylor trying to get back into that headspace.

Anyway, 1989 TV chat. It's good! I'm finding it easier to get into than Fearless/Speak Now/Red, being closer to current taylor definitely helps make it seem less not-quite-right. I guess I should get an actual speaker system?

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Oh, I forgot. Shake It Off: still not very good. This is why she thought she could do ME!

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

DC Murderverse posted:

https://twitter.com/kittywavvy/status/1734976588276433169?s=46&t=5gxKQFzDrDvx-7j58Ypw3g

This is gonna slap, Miami Garden Club is one of my favorite pop albums and pop is only now catching up to Kitty, taste-wise. I don’t think PinkPantheress has ever actually heard her but there is a direct lineage there based on their respective production styles.

I knew of her from Okay Cupid and loved the Pom-Poms stuff and literally did not know she'd put out any actual albums under her own name, so thanks very much for this.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Or not, according to her instagram

https://www.instagram.com/p/C1p-tjPPn0T/

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

DC Murderverse posted:

My local hipster-adjacent music festival announced their lineup and the first two days are incredibly boring aside from the headliners but man look at that Sunday

https://twitter.com/hinterlandiowa/status/1747991744212328603?s=61&t=p3q_Jh3l7EiiLtw3f9k_8Q

Any day with Orville Peck is a good day, actually.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OoJaV-rqsiU

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I'd probably pick Midnights for you, it's got Jack Antonoff all over, who's done a tonne with Lana and a bit with Carly, an actual Lana feature, and covers a decent spectrum of poppy pop to sad pop.

I don't think she's ever really done anything as interesting and different as Hayley's solo pop stuff, but if you like the pop rock Paramore type stuff there's a bunch in Taylor's earlier discography. Red would be my secondary recommendation for earlier Taylor, it's got some all time greats, a decent spectrum of full pop stuff (WANEGBT, 22, IKYWT), pop rock (State of Grace, Red, Holy Ground), her best songwriting ever (All Too Well), and a whole bunch of other fun singer/songwriter type songs spanning the emotional spectrum. It's mostly post-country so you don't have to worry too much about her Nashville accent or songs about trucks and small town high school football if that's not your thing.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

In related news, the Eras tour film, including some extras that weren't in the cinema, is going on disney plus next month, for anyone that doesn't have £800 or so spare.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Caroline Polachek released a deluxe edition of Desire on Wednesday, with several new songs, a cover, a version of Butterfly Net with Weyes Blood and an acoustic version of I Believe. Needless to say, the new stuff is very good and I love a reminder to go back and listen to the whole album again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJRw1MN04hs

Deformed Church fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Feb 16, 2024

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I've just seen Taylor is releasing another version of her album with a different bonus track to buy, which is just an extremely good way of squeezing money out of idiots (I'm idiots).

So uh if you've got "The Manuscript" and now want "The Bolter" get it while it's good!

There's also cassette versions. Do people really want cassettes? Who is out there going "ah yes user experience and audio quality really peaked 40 years ago, I want in"?

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

God I'm excited to see her in May.

Also, Eras on Disney has got me right back into "well, do I reallllllyyyyyy need that £800 for anything else??? what is an emergency if not taylor swift for under £5/minute" mode so someone please come kick me.

And so there's actual content in this post, here's Lauren Mayberry with the one I was most excited for actual release after the live show. I know they've delayed the whole project to retool a bit, but it feels like they've dialed it back a bit - live versions always tend to go a bit harder but this feels noticeably less fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciDssZQfn_k

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Honestly, this album feels so safe, like she just ran out of juice creatively and poured out a bunch of stuff. It's not terrible stuff, but there's not really any attempt to show progression or ambition in the music.

My hot take is that I think the fame has got to her and she's decided that her life should be fundamentally interesting to the listener just because it's Taylor Swift's life. Too much of this album feels fully sincere, likely she genuinely believes that her relationship stories are the deepest, most dramatic poo poo. That was kind of charming when she was 18, and it worked on, like, 1989 and the bits of Lover when she was writing genuinely compelling lyrics and melodies (and sucked on Lover when she was writing The Archer), but you've got to work really hard to make me interested in the same from a 35 year old. She desperately needs to put tongue back in cheek and start having fun again.

And maybe she shouldn't have tried to write a 31 song album in the time it usually takes her to do one half that length, while also re-recording several other albums and putting on an enormous, very extended tour.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Truther Vandross posted:

Just lock her in a room with Bonnie McKee and get things back to normal here

Same but instead of Katy Perry it's whoever Bonnie needs to actually get her album out already :f5:

Speaking of, here's one she dropped literally today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7O-OBejnlVQ

And here's Hot City because holy poo poo it slaps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hV2a0d6h8HM

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

The REAL Goobusters posted:

What's weirder these days is when a single drops and its not on any album. Its just a random loosie. Been happening a lot too.

That's been a thing forever - Hey Jude and Love Will Tear Us Apart are some of their bands biggest tracks, for example. Check out this whole list of bangers.

It's cool when people are able to put out stuff that doesn't fit into the larger project the artist (or their label) are working towards, rather than let it go to waste.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Yeah it's not grabbed me. I don't hate it but I've not pulled anything onto my playlist on the first listen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I hope he gets a taste for it and pop can be free of his boring goddamn poo poo.