Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coatlicue
Sep 14, 2012

it doesn't matter
how fast or how far,
you're still runnin' like a fool

Benne posted:

Macklemore is a weird case to me. He spent years building a devoted fanbase in the Seattle underground scene. I will admit that his actual rapping doesn't do much for me, but he and Ryan Lewis write some pretty drat good beats and he tackles some compelling social issues, as well as his own personal battle with drug addiction. He's a talented guy and I've been waiting for his breakthrough for a while now.

Now he finally has a huge crossover hit...and it's about second-hand clothing. Billboard confuses me sometimes.

I heard thrift shop song on the radio in the car and it really struck a chord with me since I love thrifting and I thought it had a great anti-conspicuous consumption message. I listened to it a few more times and still thought it was great, but then I made the mistake of watching the music video, which, although not horrible by any means, undid a bit of the magic of the anti-consumeristic message for me.

Then some weeks later I listened to "Same Love", instantly loved it, and couldn't reconcile that it was the same artist(s).

I really have to get around to listening to the whole album at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU