Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JimmyTR
Jan 24, 2013

Loving something doesn't prevent it from being ridiculous.
I realize that this thread already has an established MO, but, I can't let a thread called "The Pop Music Megathread" pass without mentioning an era of music where pop music seemed to be able to do no wrong: I am, of course, speaking about the 80's.

Songs like "Head over Heels", "Don't Push Me...", even TV themes like "Hill Street Blues" and the theme from "Great American Hero" (both of which I have on opposite sides of the same 45RPM record) lit up the charts, and my memories of the radio at the time are little more than resoundingly positive. It seemed like everything had a driving beat, but deceptively simple riffage at its core.

I absolutely love the celebration aspect of this thread, and, in that spirit, I ask the following question:

What do current pop songs have in common with pop songs of the past (particularly ones like the above, that seem to carry more "street cred")? What makes them the same, rather than different?

Not being a student of the current pop trends in music, I sincerely would like to know if I am missing out on any legitimately good tunes. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU