Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

MrSargent posted:

I don't actually believe this, but I would not be surprised to eventually find out that there was never any beef between Kanye & Taylor. Or that it was manufactured for publicity by the two of them.

Nah, I think the two inciting incidents were pretty genuine. Kanye was in a pretty dark place in 2009 and I think him interrupting Taylor led to a big change in how he functioned (and also to his best album), and I definitely don't think that Taylor would let herself be embarrassed like she was after Kim showed the world that video.

I think they both played the publicity that they got from it to their advantage, Kanye really leaned into the "I'm an rear end in a top hat" thing for MBDTF and Taylor definitely excels when there's someone she can say is oppressing her or whatever (see also: Mayer, John, or Jonas, Nick). And I think until Famous came out they were actually genuinely friendly for a little while. They just have good PR people who know how to work that poo poo into gold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Escobarbarian posted:

It's absolutely crazy that Emma's EP was featured on screen as part of the Apple event man. Her stuff is pretty good but still trying to be Hayley Williams a lil much.

i dunno that same presentation had a phone that was listening to Scum gently caress Flower Boy so

Also

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCFh0lJ-WAg

noted son-of-a-helicopter-murderer/screenwriter Max Landis tried music criticism on for size, and because he is a weirdo, he couched it as him being a crazy person discovering a pattern instead of just, you know, music theory.

edit: dammit i should have known that someone else would find that before i did

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Since I'm just nuts enough to try and extract something useful from the Carly-Bomber's Manifesto, I did a thing.

So in Max Landis' weirdo living document he basically breaks down each and every Carly Rae Jepsen song (and I do mean every, considering he looked up songs on Youtube from when she was like 16 that have barely 1k hits) into about seven different major themes:

TEMPTATION
OBSESSION
LIMERENCE
SECRETS
ESCAPE
REJECTION
MISERY/LONGING

This roughly follows a pattern you might see in a relationship. You see someone and want them, think about them all the time, have that great feeling when you're just falling in love, maybe have to keep it secret for some reason, want to get away from everything because of those secrets, end the relationship because the two of you want different things/feel differently towards each other, and then finally feel really lovely for a while. The songs on Emotion aren't in this order in the least, but if you take the songs from Emotion, the bonus tracks and Side B, and toss in her newest single, her most popular single, and one other song CRJ was featured on that I felt really made the narrative sing (no pun intended), you can roughly map out The Story Of Whatever Dummy Broke Carly Rae Jepsen's Heart (as told by Carly Rae Jepsen):

Prologue: Meet Cute
Call Me Maybe: Meets a guy, wants to see him more, gives him her number.

Act 1: Honeymoon Period
I Really Like You: Starts hanging out on the reg, not in love but drat close.
The One: Still denying she's in love, but basically spending all her time with the dude.
Favorite Colour: They are close emotionally.
Warm Blood: They are close physically.
Higher: She realizes just how great this guy makes her feel.
Cut to the Feeling: She comes out and says that she wants to be in a genuine relationship.

Act 2: The Secret
I Didn't Just Come Here to Dance: They go out to have a good time at the club.
Let's Get Lost: Leave the club, just drive around for a while.
Making the Most of the Night: He's not entirely feeling it, but she keeps pushing.
Body Language: She starts to get confused and doesn't really know how he feels about her.
Black Heart: She keeps pushing him because she loves him and he doesn't seem to.
LA Hallucinations: The reason he's not feeling her is because his level of fame precludes having a normal life/relationship.
All That: She tells him that she will always be supportive of him when he is feeling down.

Act 3: On Shaky Ground
Gimme Love: She can't stop thinking about the guy.
Run Away With Me: She wants to escape all of the troubles of life and just be with him.
Cry: She is fed up that he won't open up to her.
Boy Problems: She talks to her friend, who tells her that he's more trouble than he's worth.
Never Get To Hold You: She is sad that she doesn't see this guy as much as she wants.

Act 4: The End
Fever: The relationship hits a rough patch, she stays with a friend for a few days and kinda stalks the guy.
Love Me Like That (song from The Knocks' album 55): Like a bolt of lightning, she realizes that the relationship will neer be two people equally in love with each other.
Store: She bails.
When I Needed You: She tells him why she bailed.

Act 5: Life Doesn't Go On
Emotion: She hopes he misses her.
Roses: They somewhat reconcile and agree to be friends, though she is still hurting.
Your Type: She still loves him, even though he will never feel the same.
Love Again: She tells herself that she will learn to love again (natch)

Epilogue: Begin Again
First Time: The cycle begins anew, with each new relationship that fails still carrying the weight of a first relationship.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Escobarbarian posted:

Is he trying to poo poo on everyone for liking a singer he doesn't like? I don't really understand. Seriously can't tell if this is meant to be positive or negative hahah

Nah, he makes clear that he really likes CRJ and the music in general, so it's not mean or anything like that, it's just illl-conceived, heavy-handed and obnoxious.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

RevKrule posted:

He's just hoping that this is enough that she'll call him. Maybe.

hey, i've just heard of you
and i'm real crazy
read this manifesto
then call me maybe

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

MrSargent posted:

This isn't really "new" music but its something I have just discovered thanks to my wife. She was always a huge Hanson fan growing up and still follows them today. She played me a bunch of songs from them on a road trip last weekend and they have made some incredibly good pop songs. In particular, "Georgia" and "Penny and Me" are really great. When I was growing up in the 90's, obviously Mmmbop was insanely popular but Hanson was kind of looked at as a joke when they are actually insanely talented musicians and songwriters.

Hanson owns. I saw them live at Disney World a couple years ago and they did a loving killer cover of I Believe in a Thing Called Love. And they've just kept truckin' in the industry even though 90% of people would just recognize them for Mmmbop. Their fans are dedicated as hell too. I knew someone in college whose birthday present was tickets to a few different Hanson concerts in cities within driving distance of where we were.

edit: also Middle of Nowhere was the first CD I ever owned. I got it when I got a DiscMan for my birthday when I turned like, 6.

edit2: also Taylor Hanson made an album with Adam Schlesinger (of Fountains of Wayne and Writing A poo poo Load Of Amazing Power Pop Songs fame), the guitarist from Smashing Pumpkins and the drummer from Cheap Trick in a supergroup called Tinted Windows that is one of the best, most pure power pop albums ever. This is the good poo poo right here.

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Sep 14, 2017

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

I'm gonna pretend that those jokes in the CRJ video about how someone should sign her and that she's gonna be making coffee soon are meant to tell her publicist how terrible they are at their job.

Because her publicist is terrible at their job. An album as good as Emotion should have been bigger.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

exquisite tea posted:

I don't think it's really all that insulting to CRJ, moreso it's really bland uninventive criticism dressed up like psycho #woke bullshit.

yeah, this.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

the truth posted:

Does Lorde have any stage presence? She and LDR should probably be at a House of Blues sized venue.

LDR is way too big for it these days, but I think I'd like to see her in some 1960s-Greenwich Village-style club.

And just going straight through Ultraviolence.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

I listened to Gorgeous a bunch over the weekend and here is my thought: It's a really cynical (and inferior, IMO) take on Enchanted. Enchanted is one of my absolute favorite songs, so it hit me pretty quickly especially after I listened to them back to back. Let's break it down here.

Gorgeous is a song about Tay seeing a guy (hiddleston? that new guy she's seeing?) she'd never met before while out somewhere. She doesn't say anything to him and kinda mocks him to her friends, but she's clearly infatuated with him, and the brief moments where their eyes meet or they touch feel electric. She openly wonders if he's seeing anyone, but says it might be worse if he wasn't (and mentions her boyfriend as well), and at the end of the song wishes he'd just come home with her.

Enchanted is a song about Tay seeing a guy (adam "Owl City" young) she'd never met before while at a party of some sort. their eyes meet and they have a cute conversation and she's clearly infatuated with him. She openly wonders if he's seeing anyone else, saying it would break her heart if he were, and at the end of the song wishes he'd come to her door in a romantic gesture.

It's definitely the difference between a song you'd write when you're 20 and a song you'd write when you're 28, but with Taylor, Enchanted has this really magical quality of touching a feeling that everyone gets at some point and looking at it with almost naively optimistic eyes. Gorgeous is the song that the person who wrote Enchanted writes after a few more relationships that don't go anywhere and the media doesn't let her act like a normal human being and so the imagination is gone, replaced with "you're hot, lets gently caress". There's nothing wrong with 'you're hot, lets gently caress", but Taylor Swift is not very good at writing "you're hot, lets gently caress" songs, and it shows. I'd rather listen to someone like Demi Lovato sing about that, because Demi Lovato clearly loves it (and is good at it. see: Body Say). I think if you gave the songs that we've heard from Reputation so far to a 17 year old Taylor Swift she'd be horrified. I also think that current Taylor Swift recognizes it and is attempting to kind of lean into the cynicism of this album (see: her murdering her past selves in the LWYMMD video), but it's really not a good look on her. At least when she was all shiny-eyed and optimistic she could play off the more fakey parts of her public self off with sheer optimistic energy. You get rid of that, and you're left with the entire world slowly coming to the realization that Swift really is as cold and calculating as her worst critics say she is. (ironically, i think that reputation, which is looking to be just as much of a collaboration with the pop music mainstays as 1989 was, is a way more honest look into the mind of Taylor Swift than was Speak Now, an album entirely written by Swift)

edit: man, as much as I love a lot of the songs off of Red and 1989, I don't think Swift will ever again make as cohesive and great an album as Speak Now, unless she goes back and writes another album on her own. I don't think it will happen any time soon, but i want another album with songs like Mean and Enchanted and Long Live and Mine and Speak Now and Sparks Fly.

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Oct 22, 2017

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Taylor Swift is very Not Mad and she’s made an album to let the world know how Not Mad she is.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

actually, to be fair to T-Swizz, the songs that aren't about how everyone hates her and, y'know, her reputation and are just sappy love songs that she's always written are very good and sound like a real evolution from the sound she found on 1989.

But the songs that are about that stuff are super embarrassing.

especially this lyric right here:

I Did Something Bad posted:

They're burning all the witches, even if you aren't one
They got their pitchforks and proof
Their receipts and reasons
They're burning all the witches, even if you aren't one
So light me up (light me up), light me up (light me up)
Light me up, go ahead and light me up (light me up)
Light me up (light me up), light me up (light me up)
Light me up (light me up), light me up...

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

while we're on Taylor Watch, here's a Rolling Stone article where some dude who really likes Taylor ranks 115 of her songs. It was written a few weeks ago, so the only Reputation songs it has are the first two singles, but the list itself is... alright. His top ten is:

1. All Too Well
2. New Romantics
3. Long Live
4. Blank Space
5. We Are Never Getting Back Together
6. Dear John
7. Holy Ground
8. Clean
9. Red
10. Our Song

which is missing a bunch of stone-cold classics.

The correct list, for those at home is:

1. Style
2. Enchanted
3. Mean
4. Long Live
5. New Romantics (but +3 if it's this awesome mashup of New Romantics and I Really Like You)
6. Mine
7. You Belong With Me
8. Sparks Fly
9. Red
10. Love Story

The objective criteria are how many times I've listened to them, how easy they are to belt out when I'm alone in my car, how much they make me feel like I'm 15 again, and emotional content.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

the truth posted:

I listened to the songs that are available on Spotify and couldn’t get past the first chorus on any of them. Garbage quality.

Any new, decent music from the last month or so that people are excited about?

New EP from The Midnight that straddles the line between pop and synthwave, if you didn’t check out Miami Garden Club by Kitty it’s very awesome as well.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

the best paragraph I've read about Reputation, courtesy of The Ringer

quote:

There are a few Reputation songs, like “Dress,” that are genuinely sensual. And then there are a few songs that remind me of that Lonely Island video in which someone flies a plane to spell out in big letters in the sky, “I JUST HAD SEX.”

edit: also a reminder that you should go back and listen to all of the Lonely Island albums again because it's been too long probably. those are classics of funny music that are also just good music.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

The MSJ posted:

If this leads to Swift actually singing a cover of I Just Had Sex, it will be worth it.

some of those songs are like how a 15 year old girl imagines sex is when you're in your late 20s. I think "taylor swift still secretly a virgin" is a much funnier T-Swizz conspiracy theory than "taylor swift secretly a nazi"

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

y'all demi lovato is right there making songs about being bisexual that are very good.

edit: that said I've always thought You Belong With Me makes way more sense about a closeted young man in high school with a crush on his best friend.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

https://twitter.com/pcmusicupdates/status/937507945159442432

Carly and Charli, match made in my dreams

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Fader posted their 100 best songs of the year. They're not all pop songs but here are some highlights:

96. SOPHIE, “It's Okay to Cry”
95. Kesha, “Hunt You Down”
93. Demi Lovato, “Daddy Issues”
92. MUNA, “I Know A Place”
89. Margo Price, “Weakness” (Country but i think y'all would appreciate the song craft)
82. Dua Lipa, “New Rules”
76. Syd, “Know”
71. Fever Ray, "To The Moon and Back"
70. Kehlani, “Undercover”
64. Superorganism, “Something For Your M.I.N.D.”
63. DeJ Loaf, “No Fear”
55. Future, “Mask Off”
54. Charli XCX, “Boys”
53. Davido, “If”
51. Julia Michaels, “Issues”
48. Camila Cabello f. Young Thug, “Havana”
43. Lorde, “Green Light”
42. DJ Khaled f. Rihanna & Bryson Tiller, “Wild Thoughts”
39. Sheer Mag, “Pure Desire”
37. Calvin Harris f. Frank Ocean & Migos, “Slide”
35. J Balvin f. Beyonce & Willy William, “Mi Gente (remix)”
29. Miley Cyrus, “Malibu”
27. Shawn Wasabi f. Hollis, “Otter Pop”
24. Kelela, “LMK”
23. Tove Lo, “Disco Tits”
19. Girlpool, “It Gets More Blue”
16. Lana Del Rey, “Love”
14. Selena Gomez, "Bad Liar"
13. Paramore, “Hard Times”
7. SZA, “Love Galore”
6. Cardi B, “Bodak Yellow (Money Moves)”
5. Frank Ocean, “Chanel”
3. Lil Uzi Vert, “XO Tour LIif3”
2. Phoebe Bridgers, “Funeral”

I actually hadn't listened to Disco Tits before reading this list and now I feel bad that I didn't listen to it sooner. It's outstanding. Also, the wrong songs from Melodrama and Rainbow are on this list, it should be The Louvre and Spaceship. (also I think Bodak Yellow is overrated)

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

I read The Week in Pop every week without fail but this week’s was particularly catty and hilarious.

quote:

Still, and let me direct this personally to Beyoncé: Hi. You’re Beyoncé. You’re better than this. I hesitate to question your judgment on such matters, but come on. You made “Countdown” and “Single Ladies” and “Formation” and all those Destiny’s Child monster jams. You are responsible for both “Drunk In Love” and “Crazy In Love.” Just last year you unveiled one of the most spectacular audio-visual achievements in pop-culture history, and you haven’t lost a step since then. Even your pregnancy announcements are works of art — and the audience who worships you laps them up as such. These superstar geekoids [Ed Sheeran and Eminem] were doing fine without you. Why use your power to legitimize them?

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

remember Aly & AJ? The Michalka sisters, one of whom starred in a Disney Channel show?

No?

I mean, me either but they have a new EP out and it's actually pretty good. It's very 80s synth and right alongside stuff like Chvrches and Carly Rae and that indie pop trend but it's pretty good.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

the truth posted:

Aren’t these the generic white girls that don’t believe in evolution because Jesus?

ci. but it's possible that in the last 8 years their position has...

evolved.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Harrow posted:

Hello thread, I'm a 31-year-old dude somehow just now discovering that pop music is, in fact, good, and thanks to this thread I spent the drive to work listening to Emotion and trying to contain the :tviv: long enough to make it to work (and listen to it all day here, too).

Anyway just wanted to say thanks, now to go listen to other awesome albums from years ago that I missed

I'm not sure exactly how this metaphor works but Emotion is simultaneously a gateway drug and also exactly like mainlining heroin because once you do it a couple times and like it you will never stop.

Now you have to get the bonus tracks and Emotion B-Sides if you haven't already. We'll have you ranking Taylor Swift albums within a year.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

if Reputation is so terrible why do I keep listening to Don't Blame Me and Delicate back to back on repeat? huh?

(there are some really embarrassing songs on that album though i agree)

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

less laughter posted:

Pop princess Bebe Rexha's new single: Christmas jam of the year?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13hdKXfku4M

Fun fact: it was written by the songwriters of Dear Evan Hansen, La La Land, The Greatest Showman, etc.

while we're on the topic, recommend me some good christmas songs to listen to while I'm working Christmas Eve/Day. (Mariah is on the list already so please don't say Mariah I'm not a fuckin' idiot)

Also, remember when Lady Gaga's primary goal was to shock everyone with everything she did? here is a christmas song that i don't think my bosses would appreciate me playing on the speakers from that era.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

somnambulist posted:

Gaga- Born this way aka the Bible.

YOURE WELCOME.

Fame Monster and ARTPOP are both better than Born This Way

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Bruno Mars is a national treasure.

edit: like, done poorly this could be some Sha-Na-Na level bullshit but he makes songs that feel like they're peeled directly out of whatever year he wants but also makes them bang so hard that everyone's just like "OK Bruno just made a Boyz II Men song in 2016 this is dope" or "oh man did you hear that new Color Me Badd song that Bruno made? I don't give a poo poo that it's 2018"

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

HorseRenoir posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gA-NDZb29I4

lmao this album is going to be so polarizing

this makes every single think-piece i read about JT pulling a Miley and forsaking the black influence on his music to return to staid whiteness even funner, because this is the logical progression from Sexyback that we've been waiting a decade for (not that 20/20 was terrible, but it was no FutureSex_LoveSounds for sure) and also sounds like an alternate reality NERD song.

i hope every single song on that album sounds like this because justin timberlake making an attempt at being some Ed Sheeran/Bon Iver "sensitive guy with a guitar" bullshit artist would ring so hollow, but Justin Timberlake making FutureSexier_LoveSounds is going to be put on repeat forever everywhere that people dance. also I wanna watch a robot gently caress a lady during halftime at the Super Bowl

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Where did pitchfork get "bon iver" from this? This is straight up FutureSex.

the album announcement video and title sounded very "i'm getting back to my roots" and whenever anyone thinks of a man in the woods recording music, Bon Iver is the obvious comparison. it just so happens that even when recording in the woods, Timberlake brings Timbaland with him and makes music for people to grind to.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bdkt6JohqyV/

I have no idea what to think of this loving album, because there's Filthy which is a futuristic club banger, but there's also a song on it straight-up called "Flannel" and other tracks on there certainly have folk-y sounding titles, but who the gently caress knows at this point

this totally looks like a double album where the first half is the FutureSex_LoveSounds follow-up that people want and the second half is the Sheeran-core blatant grab at radio play that is going to make all of the money from ad spots. You're absolutely right about the sequence of Flannel/Montana/Breeze Off The Pond/Livin' Off The Land sounding like an opportunity for JT to pick up a guitar and make a John Mayer song or two.

also if Morning Light's feature is Anna Kendrick I'm paying full price for this thing.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

MrSargent posted:

I mean I don't want to crush your dreams, but AK has gotta be Alicia Keyes right?

if it were anyone else I'd probably say you were right but Kendrick was JT's costar in Trolls and the two of them are friends and have sung together before and Anna Kendrick is a bomb-rear end singer and please let me have this

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

HorseRenoir posted:

I'm not surprised that it's getting such a divisive reaction. This song is weird, dirty, abrasive and the exact opposite of what's trendy with music blog poptimists right now, which is why it owns

also it is very much in the vein of FutureSex_LoveSounds which is still a stellar pop album that sounds like it's from ten years in the future, even though it's literally been over ten years since its release. 20/20 Experience was alright but the last decade has been without a transcendent JT song like My Love or Sexyback or Lovestoned_I Think She Knows.

Seriously have you listened to My Love recently that song fuckin' bangs.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

i took a trip down memory lane and while I'm sure part of it is nostalgia for my senior year of high school, which was the least lovely year in my schooling career (and the brief period before I realized college is loving awful), 2008/09 was the beginning of a really great female-led era of pop music. Most of the 2000s was really not a great time for pop but but those two years had multiple top ten singles each from:

Lady Gaga ("Just Dance", "Poker Face", "LoveGame", "Paparazzi", "Bad Romance")
Rhianna ("Don't Stop The Music", "Take a Bow", "Disturbia", "Live Your Life", "Run This Town")
Jordin Sparks ("Tattoo", "No Air", "One Step at a Time", "Battlefield")
Beyonce ("If I Were a Boy", "Single Ladies", "Halo", "Sweet Dreams")
Britney Spears ("Womanizer", "Circus", "If You Seek Amy", "3")
Taylor Swift ("Teardrops on My Guitar", "Love Story", "You Belong With Me")
Katy Perry ("I Kissed a Girl", "Hot n Cold", "Waking Up in Vegas")
Miley Cyrus ("See You Again", "The Climb", "Party in the USA")
Kelly Clarkson ("My Life Would Suck Without You", "I Do Not Hook Up", "Already Gone")
Alicia Keyes ("No One", "Empire State of Mind")
Mariah Carey ("Touch My Body", "Obsessed")
Pink ("So What", "Sober", "Please Don't Leave Me")
and technically Ke$ha ("Right Round" and "Tik Tok")

That collection of women (and i guess if you really wanted to toss Fergie in there you could since BEP were unescapable in 2009) ruled the charts from 2008 until about 2012, which is when the next group of women (Selena Gomez, Adele, Demi Lovato, Carly Rae, Nicki Minaj, Sia, Ellie Goulding) started to come up.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Wheat Loaf posted:

Adele's first album was 2008. I remember "Chasing Pavements" being a decently popular song. :shrug:

not top 10 :colbert:

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

nomapple posted:

Should I listen to Blue Lips even if I didn't like Lady Wood much?

yeah. just listen to Disco Tits and if you like that get the whole album

and you will like it because Disco Tits is the tits

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Grammys are on now, Pop-heads!

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

MrSargent posted:

Came here to say gently caress Ed Sheeran. That is all.

way ahead of you:

DC Murderverse posted:

yelling gently caress ED SHEERAN at my TV as loud as i can

Also Shaggy has a new song out and that makes me confused but happy

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

somnambulist posted:

Ed Sheeran literally did not attend the Grammys because he felt like Divide was not nominated in enough categories, meanwhile he wins for Shape of You which is literally a Cheap Thrills by Sia knock off and SHE WAS NEVER NOMINATED FOR IT.

The Grammys can eat all the dicks, ANY of the other nominees deserved both awards WAY more. Ed Sheeran is the worst.

I love how the presenters say “he couldn’t be with us tonight” .... * insert fakenews.jpg *

it's OK because Kesha is going to sing Praying and kill it onstage and every single voter will in unison stand up and say "GIVE HER THE AWARD!" and they'll take it away from him and give it to her like god intended

because gently caress Ed Sheeran

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

kesha is amazing and deserves to be the biggest rock star in teh world

that performance was raw and powerful and we should get together to kick that rear end in a top hat that hurt her out of the country

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

teacup posted:

I don’t want to like #notallmen her because regardless it’s super hosed her record contract wasn’t allowed to be broken but wasn’t he like never found guilty? I get that it’s hard to prove which is a difficult issue anyway but it feels a bit like one of those stupid arguments people use about “trial by media!!” But in real life.

Anyway it’s a good song

just because someone wasn't found guilty in a court of law doesn't mean they didn't do it. we have to use the information we as a public are given to discern if we want to support someone. see also: Dylan Farrow and Woody Allen.

edit: or perhaps more obviously, OJ Simpson

edit 2: Here is a very good article about the relationship between Kesha and Dr. Luke:

quote:

The main reason that the conflict between Kesha and Dr. Luke feels both so unbalanced (the people are seemingly on Kesha’s side, the court on Dr. Luke’s) and obscure (we wonder how anyone is arguing that an artist should work under the name of her alleged abuser, and why this conflict has been worked out in this protracted, ugly way) is that Dr. Luke, real name Lucasz Gottwald, enjoys a shroud of secrecy on his work that Kesha has never and does not. In the 12 years since he co-wrote “Since U Been Gone” with Max Martin, Dr. Luke has become the closest thing radio pop has to a magic bullet; he’s built up a large, unreleased roster of hit-making songwriters and producers on his label Kemosabe Records and publishing imprint Prescription Songs; he has also barely done any press whatsoever, and so functions within the pop industry like a non-fraudulent Wizard of Oz.

To be so, so incredibly successful in pop music and have almost nothing about your private life publicly known—it’s fascinating; a producer like Dr. Luke lives an inversion of the lives of the artists he produces. And so the very few times he’s sat for a journalist—for a 2010 Billboard story by Chris Willman, and for the New Yorker’s John Seabrook in what would become both a magazine story and part of Seabrook’s 2015 The Song Machine—have been extremely fascinating, even before the Kesha allegations.

Dr. Luke is a meticulous, obsessive, punishing technician (as you’d expect, and as he should be), a fact that bears out in both the praise he gets from his collaborators and the allegations put forward about his abusive tendencies, as well as even in the little side details—like the fact that he owns a rave toilet. From the New Yorker:

quote:

With “Wrecking Ball,” for example, Gottwald wasn’t sure it was a smash, and he wagered against it, telling Cyrus he would buy her a Numi toilet like his, the ultimate in potty technology (it has a Bluetooth receiver that can stream music from a smartphone), if he was wrong. Cyrus told me, “Contrary to what he thinks, Dr. Luke isn’t always right. I bet him that ‘Wrecking Ball’ would go to No. 1 on the Billboard Hot 100 and it did. Now he has to buy me a ten-thousand-dollar toilet. I’ll be thinking of him every time I go.”

That piece was published in October 2013, just a month after Kesha superfan Rebecca Pimmel put a “Free Kesha” petition online, echoing the singer’s statements that she lost creative control of her second album Warrior (statements that are corroborated by all accounts, including Seabrook’s, of the album’s production). In the Billboard story, Dr. Luke talks about why he’s particularly obsessive about a second record:

quote:

Like with Katy [Perry], she’s now had two records, and I believe if you can get those both right, you’re a career artist. If you can make huge first and second records, if you have a third record that sucks, you can still do a fourth record, no problem. And you have enough material out there that you can tour for as long as you want. But one record? No. You need two. I feel like that’s someone’s career. As opposed to an established artist who just expects it, I do feel it’s more exciting to make a difference in somebody’s life. So I want to do everything I can to make sure that works.

Kesha’s lawsuit would later allege a host of offenses much more serious than being musically controlling (“sexual assault and battery, sexual harassment, gender violence, civil harassment, unfair business, and intentional and negligent infliction of emotional distress”); she filed that lawsuit a year after the New Yorker piece was published, in October 2014.

Seabrook alludes to the conflict between Kesha and Dr. Luke in the original piece, but only lightly, and in language couched in the producer’s perspective:

quote:

He signed Kesha (whose full name is Kesha Rose Sebert) as both a writer and an artist in 2005, when she was eighteen, and helped establish her with the hits “Right Round” and “Tik Tok.” But now that her pop-star dreams had come true she was proving hard to control.

Kesha, it’s worth noting, also helped establish him, particularly as a label head: she was the first signing and an early bold name for Kemosabe Records, a label financed to the amount of $60 million by Sony and controlled by Dr. Luke, a partnership that came with the condition that Dr. Luke produce exclusively Sony artists for five years. She is still the most famous artist signed to that label, and her moneymaking potential gets more important as Dr. Luke gets further into a bit of a personal lull: the last big radio hits he worked on were Maroon 5's “Sugar” and Becky G’s “Shower.”

In other words, Dr. Luke and Kesha’s relationship is more symbiotic than it’s been portrayed—it’s not a matter, purely, of her needing him to make money for both of them, as the New York court and many others seem to believe. In late 2008, Kesha gave Dr. Luke the plaintively unhinged hook for “Right Round,” which functioned as her debut, too. From The Song Machine:

quote:

Kesha’s contribution to “Right Round” was the single most memorable detail in the song, and it launched her into superstardom. However, Dr. Luke didn’t give her a songwriting credit, so she earned nothing from the smash. It was around this time that she changed the “s” in her name to “$.”

At this point, Kesha, according to Seabrook’s reporting, was “living out of two cars.” Dr. Luke sent Kool Kojak to look for her during the “Right Round” sessions; Kojak found her in effectively a flophouse in Echo Park, at which point she came to the studio, nailed the song, and didn’t get a cut.

That, however, was already three years after Dr. Luke and Kesha had started working together. He found her demo in 2005, noticing her “bravado and chutzpah.” She was a “high-school senior in Nashville, a good student with excellent SATs who was planning to attend college the following year.” Dr. Luke persuaded her to drop out, sign to his production company Kasz Money and his publishing company Prescription Songs, and also, to come to L.A. and live in his house.

That’s when Kesha alleges this started happening:

At some point within her early time in L.A., writes Seabrook in The Song Machine, Kesha was introduced to manager David Sonenberg, who had “bad blood with Gottwald” (Gottwald had turned down an offer to be managed by Sonenberg back when he was recording as an artist himself).

Sonenberg, whose company later stated in a legal filing that Kesha was talking about Dr. Luke’s abusive behavior as early as 2005, examined Kesha’s contracts with Kasz Money, and reportedly told her and her mother, “This contract is worse than the one Lou Pearlman made with the Backstreet Boys.” Then Sonenberg managed to get Kesha out of her contract with Kasz Money, but failed to get her the deal with Warner Bros. he was trying to get on his own; after waiting around for Sonenberg, Kesha signed with Dr. Luke again at some point before “Right Round” in 2008.

That, in itself, is a lot of conflict from purely a business angle; you can imagine Kesha, barely out of high school, weighing her desire to be successful with her desire to get away from him, and the former winning in the end. It gets exponentially more contentious when you consider Kesha’s story that Dr. Luke’s alleged sexual aggression, via the lawsuit, ramped up:

When this lawsuit came out in October 2014, Dr Luke countersued her for defamation and breach of contract, pointing out that when David Sonenberg had sued Kesha and her mother (which he did after Kesha had gone back to Dr. Luke), the two of them stated in a deposition that the rumors about Dr. Luke drugging and raping artists (alleged, in this case, by Sonenberg) were not true. John Seabrook writes:

quote:

Perhaps, as Kesha and Pebe [Kesha’s mother] maintained, Luke had forced them to lie under oath then. But Dr. Luke’s camp doesn’t see it that way.

Seabrook then closes the Kesha section—and the recounting of the severely disturbing, Phil Spector-ish mess—with a paragraph that outpaces both the book’s epigraph from Iggy Azalea’s “Fancy” and its first-page inclusion of the phrase, literally, “thumpa thooka whompa whomp Pish pish pish Thumpah whompah whompah pah pah pah Maaakaka thomp peep bap boony Gunga gung gung,” in terms of dubiousness:

quote:

An associate of the hit maker’s argues: Wouldn’t a young girl’s mother, on hearing her daughter had been drugged and raped by her boss, immediately call the police?

Yes, maybe, unless that boss was Dr. Luke.

quote:

Why would she wait eight years to file charges, a period during which she and her daughter signed a publishing deal with Dr. Luke’s company and signed with Dr. Luke as an artist?

Because, maybe, look at all the good filing charges ever did anyone.

quote:

And, he points out, why would the only remedy they seek be in a civil lawsuit for termination of Kesha’s contract—surely they should be pressing for a criminal prosecution if the charges were true.

That’s a very stupid and distinctly male thought to deploy as the final note of a piece of reporting on a pop star alleging sexual abuse against the most powerful pop producer in America. If Kesha’s team can’t even get her off Kemosabe in the civil suit, they sure as gently caress wouldn’t have been able to get a criminal verdict against Dr. Luke.

The more successful a pop artist, songwriter or producer becomes, the more likely that he or she will at some point have been connected to Dr. Luke (particularly via the 50+ people signed to Prescription Songs). RX, for example, has joint publishing deals with both Diplo’s Mad Decent and also Big Machine, whose label arm includes Taylor Swift. This is surely at least part of the reason why artist responses have been vague in general and relatively nonexistent from Sony artists in particular. As far as I can tell, Kelly Clarkson so far is the only major Sony artist who’s said anything, and in the most couched of terms:

https://twitter.com/kelly_clarkson/status/700804809499271168

By Seabrook’s account in The Song Machine, Clarkson is another artist who found herself in creative conflict with male label heads over a sophomore album, which she (like Kesha) had wanted to take in a rock direction; the men at the label wanted her to stay pop. She also, reportedly, wrote the (perfect) bridge of the (perfect) song “Since U Been Gone,” the pop-rock compromise that took her to #1 and a Grammy, and—like Kesha on “Right Round”—Clarkson didn’t get a cut.

Seabrook recounts Clive Davis’s memory of Clarkson breaking down in tears at a sales meeting. “I didn’t like working with Max Martin and Dr. Luke, and I don’t like the end product. I really want both songs [“Behind These Hazel Eyes” and “Since U Been Gone”] off my album,” Davis recalls her saying, before bursting into “hysterical sobbing.” Clarkson disputes this account to Seabrook. “But there could be no disputing that ‘Since U Been Gone’ made Clarkson a superstar,” he writes.

That’s the point everyone seems to be making, and on an amoral level it’s certainly true: you can debate whether pop’s favorite producer raped his young protégé, you can debate whether or not she should be contractually obligated to make as much money as possible for herself, for him and for Sony. But money, on the other hand, is never debated. “Sometimes you have to do things in people’s best interests and they don’t even know it, and maybe they’ll figure it out later and thank you, and maybe they won’t,” Dr. Luke told Billboard. “Most likely they won’t.”

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jan 29, 2018