Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

I’m less concerned about the theme of the lyrics than the lyrics themselves, they feel like a first draft, almost like writing multiple albums while on a globe-spanning tour does not lead to a strong iterative writing process

weekly font posted:

New Taylor already? Christ I know shes a license to print money but it feels like Midnights just happened. I’m a little burned out on the Swiftening

It’s insane to think but Midnights was literally a year and a half ago, it’s just that she’s been even more in the public eye than usual and her tour became a massive cultural event so instead of going away to let people miss her she’s become inescapable.

But also Evermore came out literally 6 months after Folklore and that’s her best album so it’s all a matter of perspective (and having a world-stopping pandemic that forces her into a situation where literally all she can do is write with no distractions and the ability to craft strong, writerly lyrics rather than recording the first thing that comes to mind)

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Apr 18, 2024

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

So much of this album runs together with her other recent output. Most of the antonoff songs sound like Midnights or 1989TE’s vault tracks, the Dessner tracks mostly sound like echoes of Folklore/Evermore which means on average I like them more, but it rarely feels exciting. I’m also getting a lot of post-NDR Lana vibes. Best songs after 1 listen are So Long London, Fresh Out The Slammer and I Can Do It With A Broken Heart (which feels destined to be a single at some point). I’m curious to see if Fortnight is as successful as her other recent singles, it doesn’t scream “I’m gonna be played over and over” like Anti-Hero did.

I will say that I think the title track is her attempt at making a 1975 song and so the cringe lyrics and specific cultural references feel like her mocking Matty Healy, which makes them kind of funny but doesn’t make the song any better. Unfortunately so many of her recent antonoff-produced songs sound kinda like that album he just did with The 1975 that if the production is also trying to be a reference to them it doesn’t really show. Should have made Jack make something that sounds more like their best album instead of the one he made.

Edit: After listen 2, my hot take that would probably get me yelled at if anyone cared what I think: this album is a huge bummer mood-wise from start to finish, there’s absolutely no fun anywhere. I’m not saying that fun Taylor is better than not-fun Taylor, or that she’s not allowed to be sad on a breakup album, but every other Taylor does a better job of having moments of levity even when Taylor is being bitter or mean or angry. There’s no Anti-Hero or Bejeweled or Karma on here to break up the midtempo bitterness. Even her hipster albums with a lot of longer more ponderous songs had a Betty or a No Body No Crime to lightening things up. This means that a Taylor album that’s pretty average length for her ends up feeling exhaustingly long

The one exception is ICDIWABH which is honestly not even as good as the singles from Midnights but after 14 tracks of heavy, it’s a relief.

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Apr 18, 2024

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Unfortunately it ends up coming off as the Tortured Listener Department

its not bad I just had to use that line since I assume that every music critic is gonna be too scared to pan it like that

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

I’ve gotta stop ordering the vinyl on launch, it’s super lame that I’m basically only getting half the album here

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Rarity posted:

After Evermore, Midnights 3AM and now this you're a fool if you don't expect an extra 10 tracks to drop

Evermore doesn’t count it came out 6 months later and is an entire separate album. the trend of deluxe albums popping after a few weeks sucks for physical media buyers and this is absolutely the worst example of it because they spent the last month selling (four different versions!!!! With different bonus tracks!!!!) what is functionally half an album. I hope they sell the second half on its own, I’m not gonna buy it if I have to buy the poo poo I already have again. The more I think about this the more gross it is from a consumer standpoint but I guess you don’t get to be a billionaire if you don’t squeeze people for all they’re worth

Also the merch is super lame too

Edit: ok they never actually released a 3am edition vinyl so she didn’t make people double dip and probably won’t here (for a while, anyways) which strangely makes me feel better. it’ll still be annoying if I end up liking the anthology tracks better because imagine having only the worse half of an album physically

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Apr 19, 2024

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

BigFactory posted:

There are two songs I like a lot (manuscript and Chloe or Sam), but it all feels like a B-sides collection, right down to the half baked production. I’d be pretty shocked if most of these songs weren’t 10 or 15 years old and she’s just flushing the toilet with all her unreleased songs to get them published.

No silly that’s what the Vault songs were. I wouldn’t be surprised if some of the Dessner tracks have been sitting around since Evermore though.

I think she processes things through writing and so she wrote a bunch of songs while processing two breakups at once, one that lasted years and one with The Most Writeaboutable Man In The World. Maybe if she had more of an editor in her own mind or in someone else, and maybe if she had more time to polish these and make them stand out and maybe if she didn’t drop 30 brand new songs on the same day, this could have come out better.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

https://twitter.com/pastemagazine/status/1781432759631700336?s=61&t=p3q_Jh3l7EiiLtw3f9k_8Q

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

https://youtu.be/q3zqJs7JUCQ?si=7m_UZxg34lPbJObZ

Song is growing on me but the highlight of this video is Posty being kinda handsome without the face tats and Taylor being kinda handsome with the face tats

edit: So High School’s production is amazing and she should make a whole album that sounds like that

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Apr 20, 2024

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

To lighten the mood, here’s Chappell Roan dressed as a butterfly telling someone (presumably an ex or a man) “gently caress You!”

https://twitter.com/reneesohot/status/1781486472841101636?s=61&t=p3q_Jh3l7EiiLtw3f9k_8Q

edit:

https://twitter.com/idreamaboutit/status/1781490208564756666?s=61&t=p3q_Jh3l7EiiLtw3f9k_8Q

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Apr 20, 2024

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Alright I’ve made my normal length (13 of course) track list out of the clay we’ve been given:

Fortnight
The Bolter
So High School
Chloe or Sam or Sophia or Marcus
So Long, London
I Look in People’s Windows
Florida!!
Guilty as Sin
loml
I Can Do It With A Broken Heart
Peter
I Hate It Here
Clara Bow

Bonus Track:
thanK you aIMee (only because my sister‘s name is Amy so Taylor singing “gently caress you Aimee” is funny to me specifically)

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

The REAL Goobusters posted:

The album actually has decent pacing to it and its actually not that bad since its so long. My issue is that a lot these lyrics are trash. The Jack Antonoff of it all, I thought it would be more boring but it is what it is. There are some sonic highlights here for me, but the rest feels like its for the fans. The whole second disc worth of songs, I'm barely getting through right now and its fine. I think people will absolutely be relistening to this and it has a ton of replay value for fans. I'm just curious to see how it will perform compared to her previous stuff.

https://twitter.com/ghostijn/status/1781241979080184086

like what is this poo poo man lol

I think it’s funny that for such an easy album to find legitimate criticisms for, people are trying play gotcha with out of context lyrics like this

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Even in context this lyric is still bad! And its not the only lyric on the album that is a gotcha. Off the top of my head you got the charlie puth line, you got the touch me while you play grand theft auto line and so many more. That one lyrics I shared is indicative of the writing on the whole thing.

Literally no one except you apparently is talking about the actual lyrical element to this line in the larger verse they’re saying “lol why would anyone want to live in the 1830s” as if that was the point

Also the grand theft auto line is good just like “Karma is a cat purring on my lap cause it loves me” is a good line

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

I’m not even saying the line was good I’m just saying eveyone out there is clipping that one line and being like “ah how dumb she wants to live in the 1830s” like those people who heard the line “refuting my Jewishness” in a speech about someone decrying Israel and immediately went red with anger and stopped thinking and started yelling

I don’t care if people criticize but there’s so much bad faith talking about this album that I end up having to defend poo poo I don’t even like because everyone else is engaging with it in the stupidest possible way on purpose. Thats not happening in here obviously, but there’s a lot of people who aren’t even listening who see that line out of context and just assume it confirms their priors.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

No poo poo but it’s the most immediate example of people willfully misreading a thing for their own ends, I’d be happy to accept other examples

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

It’s nice that in addition to not being on that label any more, Kesha seems to be more places this year than in the past

https://twitter.com/kesharose/status/1782152595563303200?s=61&t=p3q_Jh3l7EiiLtw3f9k_8Q

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

TurnipFritter posted:

Lana was giving Queen of Choreo at Coachella

She spun around on a pole one whole time without beefing it that’s cause for celebration

edit: I should absolutely note that I could not do this and am in no position to be taking shots at her

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Escobarbarian posted:

I don’t really listen to popular music unless it’s recommended in this thread or other places I follow but I finally listened to that Stick Season song the other day and I like it quite a lot

You know what’s even better than Stick Season sung by Noah Kahan

https://youtu.be/voKKXysVIlQ?si=PcLTc0zCuyyRPkcb

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

The MSJ posted:

After failing to "go woke" with Witness, Katy slowly went mask off. I think she even posted a voting booth selfie once and it shows her voting Republican.

She also endorsed that guy who ran for mayor of LA (or city council or something) who ran as a democrat because LA but was basically a republican in every other way

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Speaking of Katy Perry and terrible men

https://x.com/dangerousnonnas/status/1782898444484354233?s=46&t=5gxKQFzDrDvx-7j58Ypw3g

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Escobarbarian posted:

Chained to the Rhythm is a good song tbh

Unfortunately, it was her last good song

Fact check: Never Really Over is from 2 years later and is better than anything she’d made since Teenage Dream

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

2024 gonna be the year of wlw at this rate

https://youtu.be/NXJAGuiu8wM?si=x5dhsSjfrhMRP-Qz

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

I am shocked at how good Espresso is

I saw someone on Twitter that the chorus has strong “Scandinavian songwriter who doesn’t give a gently caress about how a line works grammatically” vibes and it’s dead on

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

smackfu posted:

Is it weird that Olivia Rodrigo has a single that’s only on the deluxe version of Guts?

Or am I just an old timer hung up on albums and singles only have a loose connection to them at this point.

This isn’t really new. My Boo isn’t on the original release of Confessions. It’s more common now but it’s been a thing for a minute

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o01RqjMBS7I

Charly Bliss has completed their full transition to pop and I think this is my favorite of the songs they’ve released in this album cycle

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Guess who got a guest spot in the Feud of the Summer

https://x.com/popcrave/status/1786439396285202636?s=46&t=5gxKQFzDrDvx-7j58Ypw3g

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

I regret to inform you that Meghan Trainor made something approaching a banger

https://x.com/entpius/status/1787935486469959930?s=46&t=5gxKQFzDrDvx-7j58Ypw3g

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU