Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Josh Lyman posted:

Yeah but Dancing on the Ceiling was garbage.

Look at this crazy opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Sorry sounds like a Lionel Richie song in a good way.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Wheat Loaf posted:

I have a question for anyone who's knowledgeable about charts - for some reason I was recently looking at the list of Billboard number-one dance singles in 1978 (no doubt I was reading the page for one of the albums or artists and found my way there) and I'm a bit confused about why there's some entries that list an album and "all cuts", an example being Instant Replay by Dan Hartman (great album, by the way; as far as awkward-looking white guys playing disco music go, he is definitely one of my favourites). How did that work?

Maybe the A side was released in different formats with different B sides.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

the truth posted:

It's too bad her albums aren't that good. Ariana idolizes Mariah as a singer, but more up and comers should seek to emulate her as a songwriter. Mariah had fantastic albums beyond the singles, and it's all thanks to her prowess as a songwriter.

Mariah Carey wrote her own songs? I didn't know that.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
That song's about dating a portly gal, right? Like he takes her to a buffet on the first date cause he couldn't afford it otherwise. Am I reading this right?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Do you remember the name of that book?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Cool thank you!

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

I like that a lot actually. It's prettier than the original.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Do they do any other unexpected covers like that? I've never been much of a fan before but maybe I like them doing other people's music better than their own.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Good song. I wonder if it's a true story

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Wheat Loaf posted:

Is there anything similar, not where a recording artist goes away for a while then has a comeback, but where they keep recording and performing but nothing hits, then they muster this huge commercial career revival?

Bob Dylan did that a couple of times.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Deformed Church posted:

This release is confusing me.

I get that she'd rather push sales than streams and I'm happy to help her there, but they also seem to be pushing it on loving CD format? The only place I can find it for digital download is iTunes, and since I don't own an apple device I'd be stuck spending my money on and then extricating it from the worst piece of desktop software in the world. Outside of that, amazon have the CD but unlike most things they don't also give the mp3 version, I assume because that would mix it in with their streaming service. If I did buy that, I'd also have to wait for shipping, and I don't actually know anywhere around here that does CDs except discounted racks of Now Thats What I Call Summer Hits 2014 and Guns N Roses Greatest Hits, and even after getting my hands on the CD I've got the thorny issue of having decided I probably didn't need a CD player because it's loving 2017.

Is my situation way more specific than I think? Is there a distribution channel I'm missing? Is this just a weirdly limited release?

Isn't this the kind of album that will have end cap displays at Walmart and target? Do you only have a dollar general in your town, or something?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Deformed Church posted:

I'm from the middle of nowhere, england. Even the towns within convenient travel distance don't have proper supermarkets.

Sounds nice.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Records

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
What is an example of late 90s/early 2000’s pop that sounds less produced and modern pop that is over produced? When I think of late 90s pop I think Backstreet Boys, Brittany Spears, Spice Girls... not exactly minimalist poo poo. And I can think of a lot of modern pop music that‘s lo-fi/bedroom hip hop influenced. Well produced but spartan compared to Backstreet Boys.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Sir Lemming posted:

Late 90s is probably too late. That's right around when compression was getting really crazy. Think mid 90s -- like Alanis Morisette, which I guess is "alternative" but really, that was pop at the time.

Alanis Morrisette isn't the first name that comes to mind when I think of 90's pop radio. Ironic got a little bit of crossover play but Madonna and Whitney Houston and Michael/Janet Jackson, Mariah Carey...that's what was getting played on top 40 radio stations.

Even 2010 was almost a decade ago! I think there's some very "overproduced" sounding pop music right now, and some very intentionally sparsely produced pop music (think songs like Justin Bieber Sorry, or Hotline Bling).

If anything, producers and engineers are probably better at producing songs to sound good when they're listened to on youtube or spotify.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
The only one that is kinda one note is Honeymoon, but it’s one note in a hypnotic way and it starts to hum by the time you get to Freak.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Solomon Gumball posted:

Honeymoon aged really well on me, I think it's my favorite second album of hers.

I think I like it the best but I like them all. NFR is really great.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

exquisite tea posted:

I'm super late to the party on this but Heard It in a Past Life by Maggie Rogers has got to be one of my favorite albums of the year. I heard of her first at Newport Folk in July and have been listening to her during my morning commute nearly every day since then. Almost every track is just killer and I can't believe it didn't get more 9s and 10s from the critics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSFjYe54uv4

That sounds very dated to me, like adult contemporary from the 90s/Lilith fair vibe.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

exquisite tea posted:

Yeah, it owns.

That might be why critics aren’t in love with it, though. We already have Paula Cole albums.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

interpunct posted:

Welp, flew out to Vegas to see Enigma and the show was cancelled twenty minutes before doors because Gaga has a sinus infection.

Go see Love at the Mirage. It’s good. And it’s been there forever so it’s probably kinda cheap now. Get stoned first if that’s your thing.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

DC Murderverse posted:

just wait, pitchfork will give it a 7.7 to knock that down a bit

I will say that "writing her most critically acclaimed album in the span of a few months" is a total flex on her end.

Is it? There have been dozens of classic albums written and recorded in a month or less. It doesn’t seem that crazy especially with how expensive studio time was/is. Was the knock on her that she works slow?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

DC Murderverse posted:

she's always had a reputation (lol) as a very good songwriter but I feel like the last couple of album cycles have sort of made people second guess that (even though there's still plenty of evidence on those two albums, flawed though they are), and she more than anyone else has used the whole label "Album Cycle" process very strictly to develop her albums and eras, so if there was one artist who really wasn't set up in how they worked in the past to make an album this quickly and spontaneously, it's Taylor. Maybe flex is the wrong turn but it is a reminder of her talent and ability after a few years where a lot of people were wondering if she was on the downslope of her career.

Yeah but how much of that was her and how much was label/touring schedule? Record execs figured out a long time ago that putting out 2 albums a year doesn’t maximize profits.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Billie Eilish - Your Power

https://youtu.be/fzeWc3zh01g

loving love this

Well that’s a song you’ll be hearing in the supermarket and dentists office for the next couple of years.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Is there a new Lorde this year? That’s nice.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Gaius Marius posted:

Velvet Underground + Nico and Shocking blue are the first to come to mind

Stone Poneys were earlier than that.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Paperback Writer posted:

I think it’s safe to say I’m not getting my dark album lmao

The album is just about being outside. Maybe she goes to the dump in one song or something. Could be a song about Lyme disease.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
That might be cool.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
The movie looks like it could be cool or really, really dumb with not a lot in between.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
That’s a great song

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
What a weird career arc he’s had so far. I can’t think of another artist who was a lock to be a one hit wonder who just ended up having staying power because they’re really likeable.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

DC Murderverse posted:

I would say it goes beyond likeable, he’s very good at a lot of aspects of pop stardom. He knows how to attract and command attention, his new songs are all very personal and well written, he works with similarly talented people and as a result keeps putting out bangers. If his songs weren’t good his welcome probably would have been worn out after Panini or Montero (Call Me By Your Name)

I agree. I heard another one of his new songs lately and it was a solid pop song. He’s got talent and he’s working with good people. It’s just such an uphill climb when your first exposure is a novelty song. He’s not someone I seek out to listen to but I’m glad it seems like he’s making it.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Rarity posted:

Who's Britney?

I wanna know who Allen iverson is. Or big baby davis

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

LionArcher posted:

Allen Iverson?

Lots of individual trophies but never won a championship?

I’d say she’s more like Westbrook. Got a bad contract that’s hard to get out of.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Not as great as nail salon but it’s a good tune.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Queering Wheel posted:

I think Solar Power has more good songs than not, but I just don't think it's as good as her first two albums. Which is okay because that was always going to be hard af to accomplish

All the songs are good but the album is too one note. I’m sure that was a decision to make it laid back but I wonder if she had other songs that could have made the cut and mixed it up. Production is great though.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

The REAL Goobusters posted:

New Lorde album somehow more boring than the new Billie album!

I like it better on relisten but you wonder how it could have been different. Big Star is a really good song but antonoff’s boring guitar accompaniment just feels like it has been done before. Even if you wanted to keep it simple there are other choices that would have been more interesting. There’s a lot of really nice songwriting though.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Rageaholic posted:

New Halsey is the most unorthodox pop album I've heard in a long time. I dig it!

Yeah it’s pretty good. Trent’s good at what he does and it works well in this context. I’ve never been a big fan of Halsey’s voice I guess but this is definitely the most interesting thing she’s done.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
You guys really don’t want to at least hear what this sounds like?

Nothing Else Matters (Miley Cyrus feat. WATT, Elton John, Yo-Yo Ma, Robert Trujillo, Chad Smith)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

I only posted it because it featured artists this thread likes like Rina Sawayama, Alessia Cara, St Vincent, Phoebe Bridgers but clearly read the room wrong :(

Metallica rules don’t listen to these nerds