Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

The MSJ posted:

Katy Perry and Nicki Minaj made a Taylor Swift diss song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z18eMqK9BMM

The most boring feud of all time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

DC Murderverse posted:

Look at the list of writers and producers there; it's all the same people you see on pop albums. Sia, Max Martin, Duke Dumont, Mike Will Made It and Shellback are all on there, it's just the ideas that sucked. Katy is not an ideas person on her own, obviously, but if someone writes a great song for her (see: most of Teenage Dream) she can deliver it.

edit: in news much more relevant to the tastes of this thread: Here's CRJ performing with the Toronto Symphony Orchestra!

To be honest, teenage dream aged poorly. When Firework comes on, I literally cringe now. She does have some good songs though, but i'm glad better artists (Lorde) are replacing her now. Her days on top are done.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

less laughter posted:

I largely agree, with one exception... The lead single is still utterly anthemic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F57P9C4SAW4

Yeah I love that song and The one that got away. The rest is pretty bleh now. Prism is even worse, and Witness....well......

As far as the topic of women being targeted as "being over" -- it's definitely a thing. Men never really go through it like the females. Britney, Mariah, Gaga, Madonna, and now Katy have all been under attack for pretty much everything, from their looks, to sales, and everything in between.

It sucks to be honest, and we'd be kidding ourselves if we thought women get treated equally in the United States.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Wandle Cax posted:

You'll enjoy the 92% sales/streaming plummet for the second week of witness then

Not to mention she bundled the album with tickets to her tour and STILL pulled horrendous numbers for someone that just finished an era with several #1 records. Complete and utter flop. It will probably be out of the BB200 next week which is just CRAZY for Katy loving Perry.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

I love Keshas new song :allears:

The video is great too

https://youtu.be/v-Dur3uXXCQ

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Superrodan posted:

It's pretty good, but I'm looking forward to some fun fast paced pop songs with catchy hooks. I hope she can still pull that kind of music off, because there aren't enough songs like that out there at the moment.

Im almost 100% certain she will, but I think this was the right move. I mean-- considering her battles, I think it would be kind of.....weird if she jumped back into fun care free silly songs like Tik Tok. Her new video still has animals and fun colors, she knows her branding and audience.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

https://youtu.be/we-LaiQNY5s

I don't give a gently caress- This new coldplay song is BEAUTIFUL. Fight me.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Kesha's new album is out! Listening now, Praying is a GREAT song.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

The song is great until the chorus, it has all this build up to something so ......flat.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

.................yeah, Kanye is about to go nuts, go apeshit. I like him 1000000000x more than Taylor despite his ego. Can't wait to hear THAT track.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

HorseRenoir posted:

This sounds like gentrified yeezus

This is......exactly what I was going to post. It sounds like the whole foods remix of I am a God.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

aBagorn posted:

loving exactly.

I mean, because I like that sound, I’m digging this record anyway, but it’s pretty loving blatant

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W73Gnr9nwl4

I mean.....................

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

I haven't listened to it yet, but Slant magazine rated it 4/5 which is the highest they've ever rated a Taylor album before which is interesting. I'm curious to see where it falls on metacritic, not because scores matter, but to see if changing directions was well received or not.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Jesus Christ, she sold 800,000 copies on iTunes in an HOUR.

gently caress. I can’t really stand her but I gotta give her props for still being a juggernaut.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Harrow posted:

Hello thread, I'm a 31-year-old dude somehow just now discovering that pop music is, in fact, good, and thanks to this thread I spent the drive to work listening to Emotion and trying to contain the :tviv: long enough to make it to work (and listen to it all day here, too).

Anyway just wanted to say thanks, now to go listen to other awesome albums from years ago that I missed

Gaga- Born this way aka the Bible.

YOURE WELCOME.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

I really really really hate the “if you know what’s good” parts, the production, the delivery, everything-

But I’m actually really fond of everything else. That bass line is infectious and I love how funky it is.

It’s a shame the beginning is so awful, it makes the song less repeatable for me. I cringe when he says it.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Since the Gaga thread is locked, posting this here-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ll04Zzw5UM

This era wasn't everyones cup of tea, but she sounds HEAVENLY here. Really glad she redid the song, this song sounds WAY more authentic like this. It's beautiful.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Ed Sheeran literally did not attend the Grammys because he felt like Divide was not nominated in enough categories, meanwhile he wins for Shape of You which is literally a Cheap Thrills by Sia knock off and SHE WAS NEVER NOMINATED FOR IT.

The Grammys can eat all the dicks, ANY of the other nominees deserved both awards WAY more. Ed Sheeran is the worst.

I love how the presenters say “he couldn’t be with us tonight” .... * insert fakenews.jpg *

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Like 20+ songs pre-The Fame Gaga leaked and I'm really digging some of them. I can't find a link, but here are some (hopefully this doesnt get taken down quickly) --

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ON8b83sexf8

Highlights to me-

My favorite- Trigger

Other favorites-

Hollywood
Love Sick Girl
Your Freakin Car
Oh Baby

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Gaga’s version of “Your Song” on the Elton Tribute album is up-

https://youtu.be/T8lWjQRhQXY

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

I didn’t like Starboy at all and I’m really digging the new release so I’m guessing it’s going to be divided. It sounds more like his old stuff and I really like the beats. Good stuff.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

For sure, I was a little harsh by saying I didn’t like Starboy “at all” (it definitely has some catchy tunes) but I’m such a big fan of his older stuff.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Favorite of the first 3 albums?

Mine is Echoes of Silence

House of Balloons or Echoes. The song House of Balloons is fyahhhhhh.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Happy 7th Birthday Born This Way :3:

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

A Star is Born is out next week and this snippet of the soundtrack has me so damned hyped

https://www.instagram.com/p/BoIQEt2Hs0T/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=11v3q0x3ztwep

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper delivered.

This soundtrack is so. drat. Good.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

I thought the movie was great. It wasn’t a perfect film, but I had a lot of fun with it. The end was fantastic too. Hearing Shallow and the last song in Dolby gave me goosebumps everywhere. Goddamn that last song. :3:

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Shallow is great but I absolutely love Always Remember Us This Way.

That Arizona Sky
Burning in your eyes
You look at me, and babe, I want to catch on fire.

So good.

Runner ups: Is that Alright?, I’ll Never Love Again

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

He did really good! The actual soundtrack has some additional songs that weren’t in the film too.

Digging my grave, I don’t know what love is, and Maybe It’s Time are my favorite songs with Bradley on them.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

DC Murderverse posted:

oh poo poo i almost forgot

I got tickets to see Gaga in Vegas next October!!! It's basically a birthday/"sorry we're going on vacation without you" present from my parents but I got GA Floor tickets to the Enigma show and really, really far back tickets to the Jazz and Piano show. I've never seen Gaga and never been to Vegas but i feel like the two will go together well. I'm not watching the videos of the performance so I can be surprised by how it happens but she does Shallow (obviously) and covers David Bowie's (makes sense) I'm Afraid of Americans (oooooook?) with Government Hooker which means I'm gonna be really happy because that just sounds lovely.

now I just need to see her on a broadway stage and i'll be able to die happy.

I’m so jealous. I think late next year is a good time to go too, by then new music will be out, things will get refined, concepts tightened up etc. The first few dates at any tour/residency are usually not the best. I’m gonna try and see Enigma too.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

I’m........really bored listening to Ariana’s album. This just makes me want to listen to Dirty Computer again. *goes and does that*

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

New Kitty Purry is out- titled 365

https://youtu.be/YrbgUtCfnC0

Sure it sounds like it should have been on Witness, but I actually really like it! The chorus slaps.

I haven’t really liked her music in a long time, I’m into this track.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

QuickbreathFinisher posted:

Not technically music chat, but adjacent - Britney Spears apparently checked into rehab last week and just today broke a 3 month silence on social media with an Instagram meme post about "me time."

I fully acknowledge that I'm probably thinking way too deeply about this; I've been listening to Britney's Gram, a podcast that started out just talking about her Instagram, but has basically snowballed into a huge realtime conspiracy theory about her legal status and what is going on with her.

At the risk of sounding like a Britney truther, everything she's done since they announced the second Vegas residency has been weird and seemed like she had little choice in it. Combined with her weird legal situation (she's been in a conservatorship, with her father and a lawyer controlling all of her finances since shortly after her very public breakdown), the resignation of her lawyer after a huge pay bump, and her dad's illness it seems like something fishy is going on. I just hope she's doing ok and finally getting free of this weird arrangement.

Also I'm extremely hype for new CRJ.

Can you explain what you mean by fishy? I don’t quite get what’s fishy about her cancelling a residency because she wants to be with her dad that’s really sick, his condition worsening, and her being exhausted mentally because of it. Seems reasonable to me.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Stalins Moustache posted:

I saw her live in Oslo not long ago and it was honestly a very depressing show. It was fun getting my nostalgia on, definitely, and I don't like trying to interpret what other people thinks but my impression was that she honestly did not want to do the show at all. It was incredibly sloppy, and everything felt forced and like she just had to stress through every perfomance just to get the show over with.
I still love her though, and her music's still a big part of my childhood, so please take care of yourself Britney!

I can agree with this- After the Femme Fatale era it’s been all half assed. Work Bitch was a fun single but those albums were terrible, and not in a “I’m experimenting with my sound and seeing what works “ way , it just feels like she’s done.

I can see her bouncing back for another era, maybe 2- hell, after her last meltdown she served Blackout. She just needs to take it easy and decide if she still wants this or not (assuming her conservatorship isn’t forcing her to release albums)

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

I just want Gaga to reinvent herself again and release an album of bangers because I don’t really like any of the new girls minus Carly and Billie. (Unless you count Bey and Rihanna)

I don’t listen to Selena, Tay (though 1989 was fresh) , Demi, Katy, Ariana, etc.

Come on Gaga, gently caress me up.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

The new Carly is ok, I LOVE Too Much, but most of the songs sound the same and there’s not a lot of variety here. Still fun to listen to, and a lot better than Me! and the disappointing Madonna tracks.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Shoren posted:

There also isn't a single song I want to reflexively skip like LA Hallucinations.

How dare you.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Madonnas new album is out- Madame X.

*goes to listen*

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Even if I think Carly is overrated in this thread (not bad by any means but ._. ) definitely Carly. She puts on a good show and has more stage presence. Plus her set list is a lot more fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

https://twitter.com/AllisonKaye/status/1145493963421282304

https://twitter.com/blshitallergy/status/1145499166526922752

https://twitter.com/todrick/status/1145504681432690689

https://twitter.com/AllisonKaye/status/1145506390305230848

MESS. Omg.