Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pirate Jenny
Mar 28, 2006

Sie wissen nicht, mit wem Sie reden.
Hooray! This thread has started, that gives me a happy.

Alvarez IV posted:

I do like Harris a lot; he made me like a Ne-Yo vocal by somehow knocking the treacle out of his voice and making him sound decisive, and he managed to get Florence Welch some airplay while showing off her versatility. You're right about his reliance on traditional EDM song structure as well as his instrumentals, but it's still very clean even if it's comparatively rougher and darker. When I say gritty, I mean like Leftfield gritty, or in a modern sense Deadmau5 gritty (Deadmau5' low-end synths on Professional Griefers sound like fuzzy guitars run through lots of processing).

Harris... I feel like with his mainstream success he's trying to emulate David Guetta.... and as a result has turned himself into something of a poor man's David Guetta, and that's saying something. But at least Guetta has a good handling of beat and atmosphere, and his collaboration with Sia didn't feel unnatural (I actually like "Titanium" a lot). This new thing he's done with Florence Welsh just feels thin and strained an unnatural, and a bad use of Welsh. That track wishes it was "Titanum" so hard.

Perhaps for clarification/specificity, rename the thread "Hot 100 Megathread" or "American Top 40 Megathread"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU