Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Bob Quixote posted:

Rebranded characters usually do terribly too and they almost always revert to their original form after just a short run.

This obvious pandering is sort of like when you wife says "You never say 'I love you'" and then when you try to say it later, it comes off as you are being coerced. It'll never work right.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

In the original mythology Thor, Odin and Loki all crossdress and even shapeshift into literal women.

Making her 'a separate female character who is also Thor' is actually wussing out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi1gortW-Zs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
She's too slender, she needs to be way more beef.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Hurf blurf, Tumblr.

This drawing is from 1893. That's Thor on the left, with the big tits. Bridesmaid Loki adjusts his veil.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Xeremides posted:

That said, stop tearing down and exploiting popular characters for the purpose of pushing an agenda, Marvel.

Marvel can do what they want with their characters and intellectual property. (You might remember this argument from when folks were complaining about the underrepresentation of various social groups in comics.)

They are responding to social and market pressures the way any company would do. I highly doubt the higher-ups have suddenly decided to embrace genuine egalitarianism, although there's always hope.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
They've done Loki as a woman, Loki as a kid, Thor turned into a woman, etc. before. Sam Wilson is probably the most likely character to take up Captain America thing if something happened because they have a history that's gone back like sixty years.

FrostedButts
Dec 30, 2011

Xeremides posted:

That said, stop tearing down and exploiting popular characters for the purpose of pushing an agenda, Marvel.

And say goodbye to all that attention, quick cash grab for a gimmick and making announcements on The View and The Colbert Report? Yeah, they're never going to stop.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Hurf blurf, Tumblr.

This drawing is from 1893. That's Thor on the left, with the big tits. Bridesmaid Loki adjusts his veil.
Isn't that from a legend where Loki is being a huge loving rear end in a top hat to Thor and everyone is making fun of him through the whole deal? I remember it as something that was intended as humiliating for Thor.

Last year, I was at the Woman of Marvel panel at NYCC. Marvel had a contest for high school aged girls to interview women involved in science, technology, engineering, and math. They then would make a short video explaining why they want to go into those fields. The winners had a documentary made about them and got to go to the premiere of Dark World.

At the convention, someone raised the question of if this was just lovely pandering. Kelly Sue DeConnick's response was that it was irrelevant. The authenticity of Marvel's intentions did not undermine that supporting young women to enter STEM fields is a good thing.

The same goes for this. If there is a fourteen year old kid who is getting into comics now and sees Captain America, Ghost Rider, Thor, and Ms. Marvel as Black, Hispanic, female, and Muslim-Pakistani--respectively--then that's cool regardless of why Marvel is doing it.

Angry twenty year-olds are definitely the best sampling of any movement or idea.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
When have superhero comics not been driven by chasing sales?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

God drat it Marvel, always pandering to the animal demographic. I for one will NOT be supporting them anymore after all this "frog Thor" nonsense.

And making Heimdall black? Everyone knows only white people can be heroes due to the mongrel races inferior bloodlines.

Stop pushing agendas, Marvel!

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

TheJoker138 posted:

God drat it Marvel, always pandering to the animal demographic. I for one will NOT be supporting them anymore after all this "frog Thor" nonsense.

And making Heimdall black? Everyone knows only white people can be heroes due to the mongrel races inferior bloodlines.

Stop pushing agendas, Marvel!

I refused to support Marvel due to their pro Space Horse agenda.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

bobkatt013 posted:

I refused to support Marvel due to their pro Space Horse agenda.

Remember when they turned Iron Man into a black guy, permanently and forever, and we never heard about Tony Stark ever again? Or when Loki turned into a woman in a change that was never reversed? It sucks that all of these changes always last forever, because of Marvel and the liberal PC police!

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Timeless Appeal posted:

Isn't that from a legend where Loki is being a huge loving rear end in a top hat to Thor and everyone is making fun of him through the whole deal? I remember it as something that was intended as humiliating for Thor.

Briefly, but that misses the point. Thor and Loki first attempt to get Freyja to play the bride, and she's like 'gently caress off' because she also doesn't want that humiliation either. "Most lustful indeed should I look to all if I journeyed with thee to the giants' home!" Being the bride is humiliating to everyone. (Also, it's Heimdall who tells Thor to put on the dress. Loki just emphasizes that it's necessary, for the good of Asgard.)

Hbomberguy posted:

Marvel can do what they want with their characters and intellectual property. (You might remember this argument from when folks were complaining about the underrepresentation of various social groups in comics.)

They are responding to social and market pressures the way any company would do. I highly doubt the higher-ups have suddenly decided to embrace genuine egalitarianism, although there's always hope.

Exactly. As with the Black Heimdal non-controversy, the real issue isn't "OH NO, THEY CHANGED MY COMICS (I'M NOT RACIST; IT'S HERITAGE NOT HATE)". It's just a case of feminism without egalitarianism (or in the case of Heimdall, multiculturalism without egalitarianism).

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jul 18, 2014

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Remember when they turned the Punisher black? And then into a woman? It's like, make up your mind, Marvel! Decide which liberal bullshit about being "inclusive" you're trying to do and stick with it! drat liberals, always touching my beloved characters!

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
She was actually a pretty cool character despite just kinda being Girl-Punisher. It also led to this moment.

Briefly, but that misses the point. Thor and Loki first attempt to get Freyja to play the bride, and she's like 'gently caress off' because she also doesn't want that humiliation either. "Most lustful indeed should I look to all if I journeyed with thee to the giants' home!" Being the bride is humiliating to everyone
Fair enough. Hadn't read it since 7th grade, and my teacher very much hammered home ISN'T IT HILARIOUS THAT THOR IS DRESSED AS A GIRL.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jul 18, 2014

HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012

Timeless Appeal posted:

She was actually a pretty cool character despite just kinda being Girl-Punisher. It also led to this moment.

Fair enough. Hadn't read it since 7th grade, and my teacher very much hammered home ISN'T IT HILARIOUS THAT THOR IS DRESSED AS A GIRL.

... You don't happen to have their reaction, do you? :allears:

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Timeless Appeal posted:

Other than Punisher turning black for two issues and teaming up with classic, kind of racist Luke Cage, I actually really liked all of these things :ssh:

I actually liked the chick from MAX who took up the mantle for a couple issues more than Alves, though.

The point is it's really, really stupid to get upset over any of this for any reason other than "I am a terrible, racist, sexist fanboy," when this is not even the first time they have done things like this, nor will it be the last, and all the changes are assuredly temporary. I can tell that is the reason people are freaking out, too, because not a single one of these "I'm not a racist, I just love Captain America!" people was upset when Bucky took over.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
There has also been a black Bucky (who was renamed when Marvel realized the name "Bucky" sounded racist).

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Timeless Appeal posted:

It is funny, but the present-day equivalent of the joke would be a 'Strong Female Character' saying "gently caress this, you be the strong female character," and then handing Thor a gold-plated bustier.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I wouldn't mind if the Marvel Universe went through a reboot to update and be more modern...but that is what the Ultimate Universe was to be. Miles Morales is a good step forward.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Maybe the ex-male-Thor dude should take on a female character's role, in their exact outfit.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Maybe the new Thor is still the same person, in a Big Momma's House type situation to trick Odin to give him his powers back and also to go undercover and bust a drug ring in a low income Asgardian neighborhood. But Thor awakens something inside herself and realize she identified as a woman her whole life.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

TheJoker138 posted:

Other than Punisher turning black for two issues and teaming up with classic, kind of racist Luke Cage, I actually really liked all of these things :ssh:

I actually liked the chick from MAX who took up the mantle for a couple issues more than Alves, though.

For some reason, I want Frank to start up a Punisher Corps in the same way Bruce has his Batman organization. Could develop into a fairly cool Marvel event.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

JediTalentAgent posted:

For some reason, I want Frank to start up a Punisher Corps in the same way Bruce has his Batman organization. Could develop into a fairly cool Marvel event.

2/3rds of the way to Castle's Angels.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Inkspot posted:

2/3rds of the way to Castle's Angels.

There was actually another Lady Punisher in the 90s so he's got all of them.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Hbomberguy posted:

I highly doubt the higher-ups have suddenly decided to embrace genuine egalitarianism, although there's always hope.

Eh, they have a strong history of ham-fisted but well-meaning social justice allegories and promotion of equality and other "left" issues. I think it's a little unfair to accuse them of just jumping on a bandwagon for sales. Of course the bottom line matters, but these aren't particularly surprising moves.

Honestly, the only thing surprising about Sam taking up the shield is how soon it comes after Bucky's time as Cap.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It would be genuinely "progressive" if they actually let the Steve Rogers character have a different role from now on and got him off the treadmill.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Xeremides posted:

Shut the gently caress up.

Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

This post has been inspected and certified by the Dino-Sorcerer

Grimey Drawer

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

They've done Loki as a woman, Loki as a kid, Thor turned into a woman, etc. before. Sam Wilson is probably the most likely character to take up Captain America thing if something happened because they have a history that's gone back like sixty years.

If he doesn't have super soldier treatments then wouldn't just having the shield be a big step down from using a badass flying suit in terms of being able to do superhero stuff?

He wouldn't even have to ditch the wings - he could just paint them up all flag-style and just call it a day.

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

There Diomedes aimed and stabbed, he gouged him down
his glistening flesh and wrenched the spear back out
and the brazen god of war let loose a shriek, roaring,
thundering loud as nine, ten thousand combat soldiers
shriek with Ares' fury when massive armies clash.

Vargo posted:

Shut the gently caress up.

My dick. Suck it.

If anyone is going to see the Purge 2 because you think you're walking into a Punisher movie, don't. It's not a bad movie, but it loses its way about half-way through and turns into something about forgiveness and doing the right thing. Still, Frank Grillo is pretty much perfect for Punisher and I'm bummed out he's just going to be Crossbones.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Bob Quixote posted:

If he doesn't have super soldier treatments then wouldn't just having the shield be a big step down from using a badass flying suit in terms of being able to do superhero stuff?

He wouldn't even have to ditch the wings - he could just paint them up all flag-style and just call it a day.

Here's the first picture of him in the new costume:

Xeremides posted:

My dick. Suck it.

I'm gonna go ahead and quote this in case you edit it out, because I'm pretty sure this falls under "mod sass."

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
5 stars? What, have they pre-rated it?

Red Ultron bad, Blue Ultron good?

Also, Minecraft?

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

TheJoker138 posted:

I'm gonna go ahead and quote this in case you edit it out, because I'm pretty sure this falls under "mod sass."

drat, nice catch.

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

TheJoker138 posted:

Why would I edit it out? It's a completely appropriate response, regardless of who the person is.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Xeremides posted:

Why would I edit it out? It's a completely appropriate response, regardless of who the person is.

It's not really an appropriate response because you're an idiot and really should shut the gently caress up.

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

GonSmithe posted:

It's not really an appropriate response because you're an idiot and really should shut the gently caress up.

Right, I'm an idiot because I think they should just create another character and give her Thor's powers, allowing the two to co-exist because, you know, men and women do that all the time, instead of tearing down Thor to make way for her. How terrible of me to think you don't have to tear down one character to boost popularity in another. I'm also totally off base about not having an issue with Falcon taking on the role of Cap because he's an already established character and has had close ties with Cap for god knows how many years. Man, my opinions are so bad.

But seriously, suck my dick.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Xeremides posted:

Right, I'm an idiot because I think they should just create another character and give her Thor's powers, allowing the two to co-exist because, you know, men and women do that all the time, instead of tearing down Thor to make way for her. How terrible of me to think you don't have to tear down one character to boost popularity in another. I'm also totally off base about not having an issue with Falcon taking on the role of Cap because he's an already established character and has had close ties with Cap for god knows how many years. Man, my opinions are so bad.

But seriously, suck my dick.

I agree with the first paragraph, but unironically.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
That is stupid though. The Falcon isn't becoming Steve Rogers.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Also the new Thor isn't a "new character." Just like when Loki was a woman for a while it was still just Loki. This is just Thor in a different shell.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Right. If you have no problem with the horse alien and the frog picking up the hammer, it's as uncontroversial as it gets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

That's why it's perfect. And with Rogers acting as Bruce Wayne to Falcon's Terry McGiness, there's a lot of room for interesting story-telling. They didn't need to kill off Rogers to make Falcon Cap. Granted, they made him physically useless, but at least its old age and not because he's a piece of poo poo.

• Locked thread