Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Pants Donkey posted:

I would assume a spirit that has died or gone kaput for good would no longer fear Fauxbia and thus she’d lose their powers.

In which case we could infer that every spirit shown there is alive…not gone…active?

Also Phantomine has to be related to Fauxbia, right? One copies powers through trust, and the other through fear?
Eightfold shouldn't be dead even now, just embedded in bedrock so it's still a possibility that each copy indicates the associated individual is still present in the world. Like Skull mentions, we can assume 3 of the Doorman's partners are also in there but probably literally and not just as a copy. Maybe Fauxbia is like Majin Buu where consuming a target just leaves them in stasis.

As for Pantomine. They use white spectral energy while V.P. DuNacht used black energy when meeting the sphinxes. Maybe related in origins but I think we can rule out that either is an offshoot of the other via Davy's sword.

SKULL.GIF posted:

I can tell you right away that I'm reasonably certain it hasn't been directly mentioned in the story thus far.

We do know Eightfold was given to Isabel by Angel Guerra via Rick, though, and we know that Master Guerra, Davy, and the Witch all worked together to destroy the Great Sphinx. We also know Eightfold is familiar with how Master Guerra treats spirits. It's not unreasonable to infer that Eightfold also is aware of Davy and the Witch.

Given how a lot of the other characters have been revealed to be involved with each other (Davy/Shrike, Rick/Jean, Agent Summers/Mr. Puckett, et al), there's a nonzero possibility that the person with black fingernails and black spectral energy is/was Master Guerra's wife. Angel did say he got his black spectral energy from his mother, and that it upset Master Guerra.
As usual, thank you for the summaries. I don't doubt that just being near Fauxbia would be enough for her to clone a great deal of powers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Just FYI, Fauxbia mentions that the hitball game was that week.

The Hitball game started in April 2015 :corsair:

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Pants Donkey posted:

Just FYI, Fauxbia mentions that the hitball game was that week.

The Hitball game started in April 2015 :corsair:

The current scene is the second night after the Hitball game.

I think the entire comic has covered four days?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Well the time dilation isn't gonna get any better: comic's on break this week. No update until next week.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

8.55 is out. Time for a new fling.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Oh, neat. the first person we're likely to have recognized as a cultist, turns out to be working against them.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

The paper tag on Mandrake's head reads "APATHY".

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

SKULL.GIF posted:

The paper tag on Mandrake's head reads "APATHY".

Well that's fitting for it. My assumption is the tag is there to keep it feeling apathetic, because that's probably how to best keep it under control. I wonder how much damage it'll do if the tag is ever removed though.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Ditocoaf posted:

Oh, neat. the first person we're likely to have recognized as a cultist, turns out to be working against them.

She's called sister mouse. But in reality she Reporter Ocelot :ocelot:

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/paranaturalzack/status/1764045905119068162

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

I adore Zack.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I always forget to check the comic after a break. Page 8.56 https://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-8-page-56

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Are they really even drawing any less now that before?

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.
Why is everyone in Mayview obsessed with sports video games.

Did everyone play hitball growing up and gain a desire to play weird variants of sports that don't actually exist like 100 pin bowling in Wii Sports?

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Paranatural is secretly an alternate history comic where the pivot point is motion control technology was perfected and Project Milo is the best selling game of all time

As a secondary effect, ghosts also exist

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

pik_d posted:

Are they really even drawing any less now that before?

They are at least getting through a lot more story per drawing.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Tenebrais posted:

They are at least getting through a lot more story per drawing.

Yeah this is the part I appreciate most. The previous format would never have ended. The current format at least has a shot of seeing completion.

I tossed Zack $5/month on their Patreon since they've been posting about how they're having trouble making financial ends meet. It's not much but I get so much enjoyment out of the story.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

8.57: https://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-8-page-57

Bite me.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Man, something about Razor Rex kinda unnerves me, and it's weirding me out that I can't put my finger on it.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

neogeo0823 posted:

Man, something about Razor Rex kinda unnerves me, and it's weirding me out that I can't put my finger on it.

Razor Rex is basically a walking, talking tonal mismatch between what she is/does and how she looks/acts.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Double speech balloon and a completely twisted way of acting. Either someone's putting on a show or the wight is completely insane.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Also she hasn't said anything about ethics yet so she maybe not even be a spirit at all.

Cryophage
Jan 14, 2012

what the hell is that creepy cartoon thing in your avatar?
Canid, white spirit energy, obsession with wii games...

What ever happened to Sockpuppy, anyways?

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Cryophage posted:

Canid, white spirit energy, obsession with wii games...

What ever happened to Sockpuppy, anyways?

Hijack said he was vaporized when the train became a grudge. https://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-5-page-238

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Today's Update posted:

Coach Oop returned to soggy consciousness in a burst of bright red light. Like a sleeper woken from a pleasant dream, he lurched forward with a gasp, all sorrowful regret - for a short time, as a hitball, he'd been something he respected.
Hell of a way to get 'funny' and 'deeply depressing' in the conclusion of a single sentence.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

8.58: https://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-8-page-58

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
So we have Fauxbia who can copy powers through fear. And Phantomime who can copy powers based on trust. Razor Rex also uses white spectral energy like Penny/Phantomime and has either a literal copy power or the power to channel powers with a loan component as well. I don't think RR and Penny are connected but it's interesting as I could easily see Phantomime's power also allowing them to dole out "roles" to other people given the theater theme of that spirit.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

So there's a few interesting details here.

1. Mr. Sun is actually Coach Oop's spirit/tool (such that it is) instead of being given to him by Razor Rex to use. Coach Oop isn't a medium, but got his spiritual awakening after a severe concussion that ended his boxing career, which was apparently before/during going to college to become a teacher.
  2. Razor Rex doesn't seem to have full control over her powers, given her reaction to accidentally healing Oop instead of killing him.
  3. She uses Lifegiver Laser instead. Does she mirror/reflect powers? That'd be an interesting twist, a wight that reflects powers instead of absorbing them fully.
  4. It seems important that Crush's trophy is specifically offered/presented to Razor Rex, just like Oopball was presented to her on the previous page by Baxter.

The line "It wasn't pain and heat that overwhelmed, but a chilling, soothing bliss." seems to jive with the mirror/reflect thing.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Yeah, I guess she has a suite of powers that have the opposite effect of what they originally did. Which fits in well with her "tonal mismatch" vibe

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Would the opposite of Mister Sun's power be to make enemies weaker through crippling depression? What a thought.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

"... and she'd sound like a huge nerd correcting a math teacher, ..."
"Razor Rex's outstretched fingers lit like candles, like a blue flame birthday cake for a very creepy ten-year-old."

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride

SKULL.GIF posted:

"... and she'd sound like a huge nerd correcting a math teacher, ..."
"Razor Rex's outstretched fingers lit like candles, like a blue flame birthday cake for a very creepy ten-year-old."

half court shot- Zoey is Razor Rex my god

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

:siren: 8.59

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Lots of stuff in this one. Razor Rex is at least partially "real" or solid or whatever. So maybe the weird skull and jawbone thing is like, sewn to a sheet? And they seem to be wielding a tool, possibly. And also the Spectralvision(tm) swapping basically confirms that RR's got the power to move other spectral powers around. Plus there's that weird mirroring thing again, with DEATHTAKER LASER. And of course, the reveal/confirmation that Davie is rich enough to not pay taxes.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Alright, so after this update my mind immediately recalled this page it clearly wasn't planned but now it makes sense why Savage didn't restrain the train when she probably could and chose to destroy it. No backup from the Consortium to thwart the death cult. Everything worked out for Razor Rex that night.

I'm disappointed that Coach Oop didn't take Crush up on that blaze of glory/last stand. But I refuse to believe that Crush is gone for good so maybe next time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Brought To You By posted:

Alright, so after this update my mind immediately recalled this page [spoiler]it clearly wasn't planned but now it makes sense why Savage didn't restrain the train when she probably could and chose to destroy it. No backup from the Consortium to thwart the death cult. Everything worked out for Razor Rex that night.

... and Zarei instantly looks backwards at the "Consortium agent". She probably was suspicious all along.