Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

SKULL.GIF posted:

New page! https://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-8-page-43

Next week should have some major reveals.
Ms. Baxter just went from a side character I didn't even remember to my favorite character in one chapter. Zack is an amazing writer, the dialogue was on point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

1. Very appropriate that Oop became the Golden Switch, considering what he was about to do.

2. That line about the PSP and Razor Rex being moody reminds me of this PBF comic.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Razor Rex is gonna be a student pretending a la Angel Guerra, isn't she?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Razor Rex is gonna be a student pretending a la Angel Guerra, isn't she?

The only candidate I can think of from the already-existing cast is Lisa, and there are a few lines of dialogue that'd support that. But I think RR is gonna be a new character altogether.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I feel like Lisa has to be supernatural somehow if only because we seem to be rocketing towards "literally everybody in the cast is somehow involved in Mayview's supernatural shenanigans, with the single exception of Suzy", but that doesn't necessarily make her Razor Rex, especially since she doesn't really have knife, death, or dinosaur theming.

She's probably an elf or something.

People Who Are Not Yet Known To Be Magical:
  • Lisa (elf)
  • Jeff (wandering immortal)
  • Mr. Starchman (school bus wizard)
  • Max's Dad (God)
  • Zoey (daughter of God)
  • Collin (elf [shoemaker-type])
  • Violet (zombie)

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I was saying Lisa too because she deals in information, and having several members of the school staff as subordinates in your cult would give her a lot of dirt on people in the school.

However she does seem a bit too mature to be pouting or demanding PSPs, but we haven’t seen her when things don’t go her way so it’s possible that demeanor is fairly brittle.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Apparently Lisa wants Starchman Stars; is there any kind of supernatural being that has a logical reason for desiring those?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I notice Baxter describes Razor Rex as a "fun and flirty goddess", and Baxter herself is described as RR's "most sycophantic follower".

Is Baxter putting on the sultry vamp persona to mimic Razor Rex? She's, obviously, not normally like this. But as she herself said, "this is my real face" as she slips onto her mask.

red plastic cup
Apr 25, 2012

Reach WITH IN To your LOCAL cup and you may find A Friend And Boy...
Razor Rex will be some spectral in waaaaaay over their head and a cute little puppy dog spirit with devil motifs- a counterpart to Cherub and Angel. The two doggy spirits will be secretly working together.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

re: Lisa, she is absolutely, 100% guaranteed a player in this whole drama.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Rand Brittain posted:

People Who Are Not Yet Known To Be Magical:
  • Lisa (elf)
  • Jeff (wandering immortal)
  • Mr. Starchman (school bus wizard)
  • Max's Dad (God)
  • Zoey (daughter of God)
  • Collin (elf [shoemaker-type])
  • Violet (zombie)

What about Alex?

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Bleck posted:

What about Alex?

She's clearly an alien looking for friends.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Alex was kidnapped by aliens and is thus classed as Involved, much like the members of Johnny's gang who are Involved even if they aren't possessed.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

SKULL.GIF posted:

re: Lisa, she is absolutely, 100% guaranteed a player in this whole drama.

More Lisa stuff:

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Rand Brittain posted:

Alex was kidnapped by aliens and is thus classed as Involved, much like the members of Johnny's gang who are Involved even if they aren't possessed.

Aliens aren't magic!

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
aliens can't be magic. if they were magic they couldn't interact with the plot because they couldn't make it through the barrier.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Farg posted:

aliens can't be magic. if they were magic they couldn't interact with the plot because they couldn't make it through the barrier.

someone needs to get the concept of aliens being incredibly frustrated that they can't abduct a spectral through the mayview barrier while the spectral is making smushfaces against midair over to zack, asap

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Aliens aren't magic, but they *are* paranormal strangeness-adjacent. If you read into stories of alien abductions you'll start noticing that they actually share a lot of similarities with ancient stories of vanishing into the Fae Realm.

This comic already has spirits, vampires, ghosts, witches, werewolves, Bigfoot, possibly skeletons/zombies soon, adjacent-higher-dimension beings, dream eaters... aliens are totally within that category.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
no one reacted because its foolish and no one should care. but i maintain that paranatural and jujutsu kaisen are the same comic. and i can prove it

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Farg posted:

no one reacted because its foolish and no one should care. but i maintain that paranatural and jujutsu kaisen are the same comic. and i can prove it

At best we can say both authors have definitely read Hunter x Hunter but I don't see how Paranatural and JJK intersect beyond that honestly.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Farg posted:

I insist you do so.

Cryophage
Jan 14, 2012

what the hell is that creepy cartoon thing in your avatar?
Very fitting that the death god likes playing games for dead consoles.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Cryophage posted:

Very fitting that the death god likes playing games for dead consoles.

What year is this story taking place in? Because the PSP could still be in vogue at this time.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Brought To You By posted:

What year is this story taking place in? Because the PSP could still be in vogue at this time.

Sometime in the late 00s, early 2010s probably? From Chapter 5 we can see that the most advanced phone is an early-model smartphone, then a PDA.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

The comic began in 2011, so probably sometime around there.

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.
Update! And oh my god Hijack(s) finally gets to play Wii Sports :allears:

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

From that newspaper: "Beast sighted" and "Coach Oop awarded". Can't really make anything else out

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Huh, I had kind of been assuming Cody was a dhampir and not a vampire. If he's also undead and vulnerable to sunlight, the Jones family's lifestyle must look even weirder than I already thought it did.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

SKULL.GIF posted:

From that newspaper: "Beast sighted" and "Coach Oop awarded". Can't really make anything else out

"Mayor bans [something] from running past [something]" on the back page.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Rand Brittain posted:

Huh, I had kind of been assuming Cody was a dhampir and not a vampire. If he's also undead and vulnerable to sunlight, the Jones family's lifestyle must look even weirder than I already thought it did.

Cody's just fine outside in the sun here, apparently: https://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-5-page-295

We saw him as a younger boy in the Chapter 7 flashback, so he seems capable of aging.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

It's probably because Cody's father would want to be able to enter his room too.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Halve the right to remain scient under arrest is the sort of pun one DESERVES to be smug about

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

The two Hijacks are red and yellow here. Original Hijack was orange.

Given how the various sphinxes all have their own colors, it's probably a safe assumption that the original Sphinx was a Wight. This suggests Davy's sword has prism-type powers, able to split colors into their individual components.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Or maybe it just happens by default to any spirit that divides into parts (and survives)? Though Spender's captive is implied to be a fragment of a wight and it still seemingly has white energy, so maybe it is the sword.

Makes me think though, maybe Mina's eventual plan is to Polymerisation all her created spirits with control powers into one all-controlling Wight? Presumably that would be able to control... other Wights.

While we're on colour theory, I also wonder if using Polaris' reversal power on, say, Isabel would turn her energy green. It would be neat to see Angel just turn off someone's tool mid fight with that trick.

Alard
Sep 4, 2011

SKULL.GIF posted:

Given how the various sphinxes all have their own colors, it's probably a safe assumption that the original Sphinx was a Wight.

They've already said as much in the text.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I see through your tricks, spawn of Dave. https://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-8-page-45

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Chapter descended into :stonklol: without missing a beat. Also this update put This page into greater context.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I'd gathered that he can't see but can hear spirits, but tying that into "echolocation because vampire" is really clever! And drat, getting a closer look at Cody's whole "cheerily cold" vibe is great.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Something in today's update caught my eye.

"He gives my guards strict orders to buy anything I ask for, so I hoard junk to hurt his bottom line..."

We've seen this specific phrasing before: https://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-7-page-62

"Something about strict orders not to mention it to Davy's son while on protective detail -- irrelevant."

Being the world's best single father is equally as important to Davy as not letting Cody know about the werewolf. That's interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

SKULL.GIF posted:

Being the world's best single father is equally as important to Davy as not letting Cody know about the werewolf. That's interesting.
Odds are that werewolves have some kind of type advantage against Vampires and Shrike is enough of a powerhouse in werewolf form to overcome Davy's other tricks. Hence why he wouldn't want his son who is acting against him to know about her. It also means that Cody getting Hijack is the worst outcome for Davy because if werewolves are just bestial killing machines and Shrike has been content to stick to her hunting grounds. Then the brain can tame the beast and bring her to Mayview properly.