Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

JingleJunction posted:

Everyone in this thread is talking about Johnny getting a tool, but when was it mentioned that he's a spectral and/or could see ghosts and spirits? Did I miss something?

Anyway this comic rules. Almost every page gets a smile out of me because of some ridiculous facial expression.

He's not a spectral, I think speculation is people taking a joke by Zack out of proportion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

Friends depend on each other.
Also because fantasizing about Johnny getting a power to make him more of a ludicrous oaf is fun.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Meowjesty posted:

Also because fantasizing about Johnny getting a power to make him more of a ludicrous oaf is fun.

Fun, apocalyptically terrifying, it's a fine line, really.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Johnny is the best....I don't even care what happens as long as we get to see more of him.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

JingleJunction posted:

Everyone in this thread is talking about Johnny getting a tool, but when was it mentioned that he's a spectral and/or could see ghosts and spirits? Did I miss something?

Just recently, he has seen some freaky sights, yo. (Though Zack edited the flashback panel to remove the sphinx from it.)

Having been knocked out and half-conscious by the shock might count as a NDE. Or maybe there's a lot of citrus in his hair gel. Anyway, he's not spectral yet, but he might very well become one eventually. "Prolonged exposure to supernatural phenomena" is something he'll get if he keeps on bullying Max.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Opposing Farce posted:

Yeah, this comic's pretty lighthearted but it definitely has the occasional hint of darkness. I was rereading the second chapter the other day and the moment where Max latches on to any hope of seeing his mom again is actually kind of heavy.

Of course, PJ immediately defuses it by being a goofball, but this comic is proving to be pretty deft at playing the "serious momeNOPE here's a joke" game.

This page? Because that actually makes Max's "Five years?" comment sort of :smith:. But yeah, I'm betting Max's mom will show up again.

As the spirit who makes Suzy a medium :unsmigghh:

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Level Slide posted:

As the spirit who makes Suzy a medium :unsmigghh:

Ghosts aren't Spirits!!

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
Everyone here probably has already seen it, but I'm in love with that guest comic Zack made for Vibes. Every panel is perfection.

horriblePencilist fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Feb 24, 2013

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.
New Comic! I guess all our theories on Isaac will be answered next week. I like that he accused the Doorman of being a sarlacc pit.

Also, "Young Master is my rapper name. Call me Max." :allears:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I love Max's take on the world.

And I really hope that we keep seeing Doorman after this chapter, he's fantastic.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

Zack posted:

What would happen if you stuck car keys in his face
So Doorman connects himself to the door corresponding to the key he inserted? That's pretty cool.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

horriblePencilist posted:

Everyone here probably has already seen it, but I'm in love with that guest comic Zack made for Vibes. Every panel is perfection.

Zack did a second set for chapter 2 as well. Vibe is shaping up to be a pretty good comic in it's own right so I hope Zack keeps making one of these summing up every chapter. :allears:

Agent_grey
Jan 8, 2007

Scrub-a-Dub-Dub!
Finished up the archives on Paranatural, and now starting vibe. How have I not been reading both of these things before now? they are both so amazing. Why don't I sell things like this in my store? why do I have to sell copies of Crossed instead of comics like these vibrant intriguing worlds?

Theres no justice!

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together
It looks like Max is currently hosting a guest, does this make him a medium? I'm presuming his baseball bat spirit can't just leap into him to chat with people, if it is meant to be a weakened spirit that is slowly feeding of his energies.

Nick_326
Nov 3, 2011

History's Latest Monster
http://paranatural.net/chapter-3-page-39/

SWEATY DOORKNOBS.

(I second the comments about Vibe. It's pretty good.)

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
That previous page - "It helps that I'm not people" :allears:
Best response I've heard read all day.

Welp. Someone's possessed. Guess that eel isn't friendly after all.

Edit//
Loved the double speech bubble arrows to get that feeling two people were talking at once.

scarycave fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Mar 1, 2013

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Well... that was a... twist... :stare:

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Given the bat is glowing in the last panel, I'd wager it's the spirit possessing his Tool and not another entity. That was weird as heck though.

This also puts Max's vertigo and room-spinny from the previous page in perspective. Guess he wasn't just hamming it up.

quote:

She should. Would if she could. The comedy your ignorance breeds is wasted on my ears. Well, not my ears, exactly --

Given that the previous panel was Doorman reacting with extreme shock and then mumbling something out, and that our original introduction to Doorman was him expecting someone else, not Isaac, I'd wager "she" is whoever Doorman was expecting. "Ignorance" probably means Doorman doesn't get out much and is pretty much confined to that mansion - also supported by the first panel in today's page where he mentions that he's in hiding for his own and others' safety.

quote:

From which speaking esoteric languages won't protect you. And I wasn't referring to my faction, although you do underestimate us.

That second sentence actually makes me reconsider my prior speculation that "she" was the person/spirit Doorman was expecting. Hmm... The first sentence is probably referring to Doorman requesting that Spirit!Max not tell Isaac about this. Doorman switched into an esoteric language so Isaac wouldn't overhear, I bet. There's potentially another reason for this, but I don't think we have enough information to go off yet.

Back to that second sentence, "my faction" and Doorman's group, and whoever "she" is, there's at least three groups of hijinks going on here. And whoever Spirit!Max is affliated with isn't a major player yet, even though the spirit is obviously dangerous enough to command fear and respect.

quote:

Rolling tubes of screaming children, each as worthless as this sanctimonious fool's approval. If you must be pious, boy, choose a proper priest.

So we can conclude whoever is speaking via Max right now is very pragmatic and amoral. Not necessarily evil (though potentially so) but clearly contemptuous of ideas like justice, honor, and protecting others.

I wonder what the announcement will be. Twice-weekly Paranatural? Kickstarter? God I hope so :allears:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Brannock posted:

I wonder what the announcement will be. Twice-weekly Paranatural? Kickstarter? God I hope so :allears:

Twice weekly Paranatural Kickstarters!

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

As long as it's not a twice weekly kickstarter for paranatural, I'll be happy.

Though yes, I'll be very happy if it's a kickstarter for twice weekly paranatural.

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

People in comments are trying to decipher Doorman's language. :allears:

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Where is everyone, there is a shocking new development to discuss. Using two tools is supposed to bring them into conflict, could that happen or be happening to max?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Yonic Symbolism posted:

Where is everyone, there is a shocking new development to discuss. Using two tools is supposed to bring them into conflict, could that happen or be happening to max?

But what would be the second tool?

I took the two arrows of the speech bubble to be an indication that it's speaking with Max's mouth but with another voice. (Or maybe he's speaking in stereo with the bat. At the moment, Ockham's money is on the possession being by the bat's timesnake spirit.)

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
I read some pretty cool speculation that the snake spirit is actually a hydra spirit. That would make the "But I didn't end up with the sense of humor" more apt if the speaker is referring different heads. Plus that may be the "faction" he speaks of.

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Mar 2, 2013

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dang. poo poo's getting real.

No seriously, this is the second indication of less light-hearted things going on underneath the surface of things in Paranatural. The first being that post-apocalyptic vision Max had.

I have a feeling this comic is going to become a lot more serious as time goes on. Not sure if that's bad or good, I guess we'll see.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Yonic Symbolism posted:

I Don't think Max has a second spirit, this is just the Bat talking through him.

The bat just happens to be something powerful enough to posses someone through a tool and make the doorman really scared.

Edit: Though I've seen talk that if the spirit in the bat is some super scary badass, it could be strong enough to force another tool Max wields to submit.

Whitenoise Poster fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Mar 2, 2013

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Tollymain posted:

Dang. poo poo's getting real.

No seriously, this is the second indication of less light-hearted things going on underneath the surface of things in Paranatural. The first being that post-apocalyptic vision Max had.

I have a feeling this comic is going to become a lot more serious as time goes on. Not sure if that's bad or good, I guess we'll see.

The good news is, the dialogue is just as great either way!

"Rolling tubes of screaming children, each as worthless as this sanctimonious fool's approval. If you must be pious, boy, choose a proper priest."

Good poo poo!

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Holy poo poo, someone on /co/ actually deciphered the language Doorman is using!

http://thesethingsthatiadore.tumblr.com/post/44335278242/id-laugh-but-i-didnt-end-up-with-the-sense-of

"I'd laugh, but I did not end up with a sense of humor."

Your return changes nothing, schemer. My master does not fear broken gods.

"She should. Would if she could. The comedy your ignorance breeds is wasted on my ears. Well, not my ears exactly"

Arrogance. Your power is nothing to be afraid of. Word games and riddles.

jeez, that was pretty drat fast.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Ha, now that I look at the solution that's a fairly elementary cipher he used. What he did was invert each letter to draw only the negative space in each letter. He put a bit of a twist on it, but it's still pretty classic. No wonder that was solved so quickly.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

So I guess the policy will be ciphered stuff and speculation is spoilered?

Anyways, so. Interesting. So sounds like there's multiple factions of 'broken gods' that have returned, and the one represented by Max's possessor isn't the biggest threat.

Judging by the way the bat's glowing in the last panel I'm inclined to agree that it's the bat spirit possessing Max, but that it's different from normal spirits somehow... the spirit of a 'god', whatever that is in this world's context.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I guess we're one step closer to learning the reason why this town has so much supernatural stuff going on.

I'm eager to read more of Possessed!Max's disdainful dialogue in future.

Coughman
Mar 12, 2010

Communists and Freemasons.
Heres a handy chart of the language someone on /co/ whipped up for quick reference

and as an added bonus, a link to the archived thread (which is still in progress at the time of this post)
if you want to see the process
http://archive.foolz.us/co/thread/46773725/#q46773725

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

And I thought it was gibberish. This comic never fails to impress.

Edit: vvv They already did

ThatPazuzu fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Mar 2, 2013

SWMadness
Jul 16, 2011

Excellent.

ThatPazuzu posted:

And I thought it was gibberish. This comic never fails to impress.

Same here. I'm impressed that Zack actually went through the effort to make a real cipher instead of just throwing in some cool-looking nonsense for a place-holder. And I'm also equally impressed that someone cracked it that fast. :golfclap:

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Someone post the translated bubbles. :colbert:

vvvv Oh, right. *cough*

Megazver fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Mar 2, 2013

Madrox
Jan 31, 2001

Does whatever
a multiple can.
The translations were already posted in the spoiler tags in A big flaming stink's post.

Radiochromatic
Feb 17, 2011
So hey I was back reading and suddenly this exchange makes so much more sense! Now it makes me wonder if that has anything to do with this as well. Man, really should have been paying more attention to the earlier chapter.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Man, these internet folks are crazy.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

SWMadness posted:

Same here. I'm impressed that Zack actually went through the effort to make a real cipher instead of just throwing in some cool-looking nonsense for a place-holder. And I'm also equally impressed that someone cracked it that fast. :golfclap:

I wonder if he was anticipating it or if he was hoping to hold revelations back for later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
But the buses are arriving! Won't Johnny and Ollie be late for school? :ohdear: