Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
It's kind of a tragedy how bad Francisco Guerra is as a parent given that he seems to be amazingly good at mentoring strangers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Rand Brittain posted:

It's kind of a tragedy how bad Francisco Guerra is as a parent given that he seems to be amazingly good at mentoring strangers.
That’s not terribly uncommon, right? People who are good mentors and friends but turn out to be poor or even abusive parents.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
IMO most of the credit should go to Crush here. Guerra just provided training, the motivation is clearly Crush's.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Both of these guys are not nearly as meatheaded as they pretend to be, and that makes me smile.

Also this whole sequence has made me take Spectral Fist a lot more seriously. It seemed like party tricks before ("three dolphins", really?) but now it seems legitimately very strong.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Xand_Man posted:

Awww yeah good old-fashioned therapy fight
And a no-frills one at that. Just two guys in a ring slugging it out as God intended.

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Both of these guys are not nearly as meatheaded as they pretend to be, and that makes me smile.

Also this whole sequence has made me take Spectral Fist a lot more seriously. It seemed like party tricks before ("three dolphins", really?) but now it seems legitimately very strong.

I believe it was in a sparring match between a younger Isabella and one of the students. But before this spectral fist was basically training people to be green lanterns so being able to hit someone even after your fist connected was already good. The problem really has been that nobody really has used that kind of stuff or the higher level techniques Crush has been using through most of the story.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Brought To You By posted:

I believe it was in a sparring match between a younger Isabella and one of the students. But before this spectral fist was basically training people to be green lanterns so being able to hit someone even after your fist connected was already good. The problem really has been that nobody really has used that kind of stuff or the higher level techniques Crush has been using through most of the story.

All this is likely meant to demonstrate just how actually powerful Master Guerra is, after the story has been hinting at it for years. Chapter 8 likely will have a climax battle between Master Guerra and whoever the death cult has as their best fighter.

Mr. Spender, Mister Guerra, Isabel are all decent enough Spectral Fist users but all three of them lean on their spirits quite heavily to help fight. We haven't seen anyone, until Crush, who's fought with purely Spectral Fist and was able to reach more advanced techniques. Spender probably could've been easily on Crush's level, but he went a different direction instead of focusing on Spectral Fist.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Not necessarily a bad thing, since, as Isabel found out, Spectral Fist is completely loving useless against non-spectrals.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Rand Brittain posted:

Not necessarily a bad thing, since, as Isabel found out, Spectral Fist is completely loving useless against non-spectrals.

I suspect that will be exactly the reveal next Friday, as Crush's boxing ring fails to snare whoever's sneaking up on him. Possibly Baxter, but easily could be another member of the death cult.

At the start of this update Ape mentions having to go "collect" Crush (so Razor Rex can absorb him). Baxter probably also has a collector.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

By the way, taking a wild shot here given intuition. Principal Pleezdoo is the Authority.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

SKULL.GIF posted:

We haven't seen anyone, until Crush, who's fought with purely Spectral Fist and was able to reach more advanced techniques.

We have, we just didn't know it at the time at all:

https://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-2-page-23

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

MarquiseMindfang posted:

We have, we just didn't know it at the time at all:

https://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-2-page-23
:2monocle:

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

SKULL.GIF posted:

By the way, taking a wild shot here given intuition. Principal Pleezdoo is the Authority.

There's a decent chance of that. I think Suzie is probably going to be the only singular person who's truly in the dark. Either her or Max's dad. With everyone else being some sort of player in this.

Not counting a few people like Johnny (and presumably his gang) who were in the dark before the comic but are clearly getting involved now.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

New page.

I love her.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Glad Crush can appreciate how boring DBZ beam spam is Shame he just got Majin Buu'd into a trophy. At least he isn't double dead yet

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

This ex-comic is on fleek right now.

Last Visible Dog
Jul 30, 2015

First time we've seen that weird little spirit do something besides translate. Looks like the paper on its face says APATHY

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Rand Brittain posted:

This ex-comic is on fleek right now.

It's been back-to-back-to-back absolutely incredible updates.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Zack knows the people dig a crazy girl.
https://twitter.com/paranaturalzack/status/1712995014626976074

Also turns out the hints were there from the beginning.

E: why the gently caress does SA auto-embed the replies but not the original tweet. Also how do I stop it from embedding tweets.
E2: thx people

Kyte fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Oct 14, 2023

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

A lot of clues about Baxter were around for awhile, yeah.

I want to point out that Max's dad is suspiciously well-informed about death cultists: we see an ape mask, a rodent mask, and *squints* I guess a cat mask there. Miss Baxter teaches math...

Kyte posted:

E: why the gently caress does SA auto-embed the replies but not the original tweet. Also how do I stop it from embedding tweets.

Uncheck "automatically parse URLs" at the bottom of the post window. Also wrap them in quotes so other people quoting you won't re-embed them (since they'll have "automatically parse URLs" on when they post).

Not sure why the first tweet didn't embed, but I know there's issues with the software detecting tweets if it's on the very first line or immediately following some BBcode.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
The issue is I do want to keep it as a link, I just don't want it to embed, and I also want the first tweet to embed.
Also reordering so the text comes before the link didn't work, :rip:

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Kyte posted:

The issue is I do want to keep it as a link, I just don't want it to embed, and I also want the first tweet to embed.

Then instead of posting it as its own URL, post it as hypertext pointing at the URL. Likewise.

Zack's tweet isn't embedding because I suspect it's tagged NSFW to spoiler the image.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

SKULL.GIF posted:

A lot of clues about Baxter were around for awhile, yeah.

I want to point out that Max's dad is suspiciously well-informed about death cultists: we see an ape mask, a rodent mask, and *squints* I guess a cat mask there. Miss Baxter teaches math...

I posted it before after your linked post and I'll post it again:

"Contains one 1 [one] pixie {purple aura}" :thunk:

Also, either the original tweet link was mistyped, or the original tweet was deleted, because it doesn't seem to be there now.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

neogeo0823 posted:

I posted it before after your linked post and I'll post it again:

"Contains one 1 [one] pixie {purple aura}" :thunk:

I wonder if Baxter's trying to become a spectral and looking into haunted (...literally) items for that purpose. Stumbling across Mr. Guerra's store would be a treasure trove for her and honestly I can already see her and Cherub vibing super well.

They even both have deceptive cat motifs and arrogant/contemptuous/taunting personalities...

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

So the mystery now is what Baxter is at this point. I would nix a monster like Davy as he isn’t immune to spirit/spectrals, because he could interact with Hijack and was simply immune to his power on account of it only working on the living.

There is the haunted necklace she was shopping for, but she’s not wearing it in today’s comic nor the comic where she was still in her regular clothes watching Max struggle with his spirit. Then again, it’s possible she couldn’t see Crush and he was just being Crush when thinking she could see him.

Also I love that she isn’t some in-over-her-head initiate and is wholly into being evil.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
I think she's just a regular normal human that is part of the cult. Note how in previous interactions information was relayed from the demon dogs to the translator ghost to Oop to her.
She might be using some kinda special tool to see Crush?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Given the general tenor of how this whole thing is playing out I absolutely expect at least one more chapter where the Activity Club engages with the teachers in a "normal schoolday" while knowing that they're part of the Death Cult. Very Animorphsesque.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
I hope this turns into some kind of Paranoia situation. Just have everyone in Mayview be in a secret society and doing weird crap with spirits except Suzy.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Ettin posted:

I hope this turns into some kind of Paranoia situation. Just have everyone in Mayview be in a secret society and doing weird crap with spirits except Suzy.

Yeah, that would be perfect.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Pants Donkey posted:

So the mystery now is what Baxter is at this point. I would nix a monster like Davy as he isn’t immune to spirit/spectrals, because he could interact with Hijack and was simply immune to his power on account of it only working on the living.

There is the haunted necklace she was shopping for, but she’s not wearing it in today’s comic nor the comic where she was still in her regular clothes watching Max struggle with his spirit. Then again, it’s possible she couldn’t see Crush and he was just being Crush when thinking she could see him.

Also I love that she isn’t some in-over-her-head initiate and is wholly into being evil.

Crush was poltergeisting slightly:

So there's enough for her to be able to react to him without actually being able to see him.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Just want to point out that the last time you saw Baxter you could see her carrying the whole costume.
https://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-8-page-35

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Just want to point out that the last time you saw Baxter you could see her carrying the whole costume.
https://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-8-page-35

Same here for Coach Oop (though I wouldn't blame anyone at all for overlooking it): https://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-5-page-215

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

SKULL.GIF posted:

Same here for Coach Oop (though I wouldn't blame anyone at all for overlooking it): https://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-5-page-215

Oh yeah, that's peak "visible in hindsight," and really well done. Some potentially-black (but not necessarily because of the lighting) cloth subtly hanging on a duffel bag in a way that doesn't really feel like "extra detail" at all. I can't imagine that could ever be someone's first clue that Oop is in the cult -- it'd have to be something you spot while looking for confirmation of something you already suspect, at most.

EDIT: that's from six years ago. Enjoy that tidbit.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I knew Mr Sun looked familiar.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Ditocoaf posted:

Oh yeah, that's peak "visible in hindsight," and really well done. Some potentially-black (but not necessarily because of the lighting) cloth subtly hanging on a duffel bag in a way that doesn't really feel like "extra detail" at all. I can't imagine that could ever be someone's first clue that Oop is in the cult -- it'd have to be something you spot while looking for confirmation of something you already suspect, at most.

EDIT: that's from six years ago. Enjoy that tidbit.

I like that this death cult is full of people that can't properly pack their uniforms into bags or just have the wrong kind of bag entirely to carry a fanged mask.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
They really treat it like a second job.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I'm working on a theory about what I suspect is the Death Cult's true aims/function, but rereading the most recent page I want to point out that Baxter is tempting fate to the loving maximum by continually using their real names while gloating that no one's around to hear.

Strong chance Ed followed Crush into the forest and is now overhearing all this:

SKULL.GIF posted:

Given the general tenor of how this whole thing is playing out I absolutely expect at least one more chapter where the Activity Club engages with the teachers in a "normal schoolday" while knowing that they're part of the Death Cult. Very Animorphsesque.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Ditocoaf posted:

that's from six years ago.

...no. No, that's just- that cannot be...!

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
dude jujutsu kaisen ripped this comic off

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
Dude I'm so right gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

New page! https://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-8-page-43

Next week should have some major reveals.