Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

wiegieman posted:

For what it's worth, Zack has said that Johnny is just going to get the most annoying power ever.

Up until this latest comic, I was betting it'd be the Sphinx's invisible wall power, but now I can't even fathom what sort of horrible thing he'd unleash upon the world.

Also,

Captain Oblivious posted:

The fact that this comic updates only once a week causes me physical pain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

tinaun posted:

The doofy face was here, in chapter one.

Yeah, but that's a totally different snake.

Also, didn't the giant black snake freeze time for a moment there? Or was that supposed to be some sort of I-just-stopped-time-to-say-'hi'! thing? Assuming that time control is a second power that Max's bat has, I wonder how long it'll be until he has access to it.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

As long as it's not a twice weekly kickstarter for paranatural, I'll be happy.

Though yes, I'll be very happy if it's a kickstarter for twice weekly paranatural.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

I don't think Spender would know much of anything, but I'll bet that the people he was on the phone with do. Spender strikes me as the kind of guy who doesn't know much of value, and he hides it by bullshitting his way through those long winded speeches that Isaac was complaining about. I mean, he was pretty straight forward about max's spirit being able to eat him, which is due to the fact that he knows it can happen.

We'll have to see him actually give a long boring speech and see how much of it is fluff and bullshit.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

I think the more interesting thing is outlined in frosty pink at the bottom of the new page. It's an interesting coincidence.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

YES bread posted:

Their battle rages eternal :black101:

It's good to see PJ again, he's pretty great.

I only just noticed the little red spirit that befriended max on that page. I love finding new details like that.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Elysiume posted:

Were they only supposed to be hitting the lower target? Hers was spot on for the "head."

No, see, it hit slightly high. Roughly the outer edge of the ring.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Alt-Text posted:

I used the extra week to write each and every one of these characters' backstories. Can't wait for their individual flashback arcs.

Alt-text, don't fail me now! :dance:

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Interestingly, did she turn into a pile of sand when she left? Is the Sandman real in this universe, then?

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Maybe both her and the manlizard are mediums, heavily into the advanced stages of their possession? That would explain the looks. I wonder what Matryoshka Lady does to fight? Split into smaller and smaller clones? Open up and engulf her target? Hmm...

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

More importantly, is this guy a... brown spectral?

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

That and I love the detail in her tie. Gotta wonder why she's wrapped up in bandages though. And how she did the thing with Spender's face. I'm guessing that she's possessed, unless the bandages are her tool. I wonder why she seems obsessed with faces, seeing people's true faces, and why she strikes me as someone who loves imitating people.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Max's faces never fail to impress.

Neither does the alt text. :allears:

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

I feel like someone with better skills than me should photoshop the pic of stephen looking to the left with the pic of Starchman so that they're whooshing back and forth between each other.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Shindragon posted:

Seriously. Max was just embarrassed that he got caught acting weird.

This. Look at the other two guys gawking at him with those "lookit that weirdo!" grins. The purple indicates the sudden cold feeling your skin gets when you realize you're being stared at.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Where's Isabel's spectral energy going when she's flexing? It looks like it's going into her book tool on the steps next to her.

Also, the alt text hits it out of the park. I wonder if it's a common occurrence to hear weird yelling in the halls? :allears:

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

What's the name of the book tool? Also, I love Max's reaction to Eightfold killing herself.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

I dunno, where have we seen one of those before? And where's the light coming from in this scene? Is his cieling just a giant EL panel?

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Ariong posted:

The scuttling mask.

I don't think it is. Look at the panel where it's scuttling down the wall. The lighting doesn't change from how it looked when it was on the cieling.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Macaluso posted:

That Goku panel is cracking me up

The Beat Wars panel is even better. :colbert:

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

You can see their giant plumes of spiritual energy billowing out from the side of the house in the previous page. Makes me think the other wisps of spritiual energy are students practising in their rooms.

Also, today, I moused over the 8th panel just after reading the text and it was perfect. How do I always mouse over for alt text right at the perfect moment? It just makes the alt text so much more awesome. :allears:

neogeo0823 fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Dec 6, 2013

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

He made Max magnet lift him up there.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Is it me or did Issac's hair get flatter on top since we last saw him?

EDIT: Nope, it's something different... Maybe it's not the same angle? I dunno, it just looks different somehow.

neogeo0823 fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Dec 24, 2013

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

It's almost definitely caused by the train, considering everything the train would otherwise be touching is doing it.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

That Forge spirit? No. He was going to try the train, but he decided against it.

In other news, rereading that page reminds me exactly why Isaac's spirit is such a liability when it comes to secrets. It's interesting to see it being worked around almost like it's a disability.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Forget all that, the yarn body hair thing is just :allears:

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Ariong posted:

I doubt they would have had a tool containing the most powerful spirit that ever was just sitting in the tool closet with the others.

Considering what Magnet Snake has said so far, it's possible. If it really is a fragment of some larger, more powerful being, then everyone might've thought it was a small enough fragment to not really matter much.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Tollymain posted:

Magnet Snakes definitely isn't a hydra right now, as evidenced by one of the wallpapers in the extras section.

But I don't see how that precludes it being part of a fractured greater whole.

Yeah, in the cover art for chapter 2, it looks a hell of a lot like a hand.

Also, apparently PJ's last words were "Heh, I accidentally buttered both sides of my toast." The little things. :allears:

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

So, I wonder what the dogs were saying? That skull language might be just gibberish though.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

AnonSpore posted:

I think it realized it was hosed anyway and then decided it might as well have a partner on the road to hell.

Probably this. There's almost no way it could've timed its jump perfectly off the train to land right next to Forge like that. The dogs overheard the bit about the train and probably decided to hop on, hoping Spender wouldn't be along for the ride that night. They got found, red dog jumps off, sees forge and decides to gently caress him over and at least accomplish whatever goal doing that would serve since he's dead anyway.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

That poor train. :ohdear:

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Splicer posted:

Oh my god it's the Castle AAAAaarggghhhhh... I just know it is it has to be :allears:

It's definitely not the train. The train gives off yellow light and this is pink/red. It's also not Spender for the same reason. It could be Johnny and the gang, but that train was moving awfully fast, so who knows if they could've caught up to it by now.

neogeo0823 fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Feb 17, 2014

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

I think it's pretty much any kid who's not the color of a normal human. It's a neat thing to think about; a school full of ghost kids. Well, until you realize that it's a school full of ghost kids.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Ok, that's officially the creepiest thing I've seen all day. :stonk:

Also, what's going on in the 2nd-to-last panel? They both look like they just felt a disturbance in the force or something, and their spiritual energy is trailing forward towards the dogs.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

We'll never find out if Zack doesn't post the update though. He's been getting later and later with the updates over the last few weeks. Hopefully he's not getting bogged down or anything.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

It is me, I am the stupid one. :smith:

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Prison Warden posted:

Well, apparently if a spirit possesses a person who isn't a spectral at all it turns them into a spectral of the right colour, so any non-current spectral is up for grabs for Forge.

Things I'm pondering about : It seems a little off to me that the evil darkness spirit within Spender's brain would also just so happen to have yellow spectral energy. Also, aside from Spender (who seems to be a dark medium and a sunglasses tool user,) it seems like there are a bunch of mediums associated with the Cousinhood. Why is Issac in particular being kept in the dark then? Something about his spirit in particular I'd assume.

It springs to mind that if Lucifer is the one who is keeping the Darkness locked in Spender's head, assuming Lucifer is in the Sunglasses and the Darkness is a possession, it means that he literally can't take off his sunglasses. :allears:

Calling it now. There'll be a scene somewhere in the future where spender's light powers are not good enough to beat whatever foe, and he'll say something like "I was hoping I'd never have to do this...", then he takes off his glasses, we see his eyes, and then darkness envelopes everything in the most anime--dork-badass way possible.

Also, calling it now. Johnny will catch up the Spender right as he defeats Forge and get possessed with the power to manipulate metal.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

SlothfulCobra posted:

That's why Spender is always pushing his glasses onto his face. If they fall off something really bad will happen. He should really get a strap for those.

Also it's interesting to note that Isabel's grandfather is master of a martial art that apparently doesn't work on tough spirits.

Maybe Spender's just not strong enough in his spirit kung fu? We can't really say it doesn't work until we see Isabel's grandpa try it and fail. He did go and destroy that target, which you'd assume a spectral isn't supposed to be able to do.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

AnonSpore posted:

Calling it, Starchman is the actual Strongest Spectral.

He did see Ed and Isabel's spectral goings-on in that classroom the one day. We know for a fact that normal people can't see Ed's paint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

WAMPA_STOMPA posted:

New page owns but I am getting a little curious about Team Weather Octopus.

Towards the end of the chapter, we'll get a few pages of them just tumbling around the car, falling over each other and generally being angry and doofy. Then when the train has stopped, they'll get out and be like "what even the heck was THAT all about?"