Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

MikeJF posted:

Ahh, so the toolified spirits are actually aware and conscious and spectrals require their cooperation to use the tool power. Interesting.

I mean I can't really see the guy in the plunger being too happy about being used by a human. And when he does regenerate that'd be a bad thing, wouldn't it?

There is the threat of that, yeah. The magnet-snake sealed in Max's bat looks like it would be "end of the world" bad if it got out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ThatPazuzu posted:

What magnet snake? I just thought he found a baseball bat that already had a ghost in it.

This magnet snake.

Remember how Isaac hinted that the power of a Tool unlocks after its user encounters the spirit sealed inside? Say hello!

It's worth noting that on the very next page, Max accidentally magnetizes a soda can into a glass door.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

scarycave posted:

Have they mentioned what happens to the object when the spirit leaves it's host object/medium?
I get the feeling something bad will happen to Issac when it does...the medium/spirit relationship sounds like a symbiotic relationship...
but what happens when it abruptly ends? Having the spirit just leave makes it sound a lot like a parasite that feeds off the host and then moves on.

This comic reminds me so much of Earthbound I'm worried its going to nose-dive into complete nightmare fuel any second.

Isaac strongly implies that the object/Spectral just loses the spirit's powers and the spirit goes on its way, at which point the Spectral is free to use another Tool or get possessed again.

Like people said before, the real threat is whether or not the spirit should just remain sealed. See again: Magnet Snake.

If Tools feed off the power that arises from Spectrals then Izzy's must be loving bottomless, that girl apparently can't turn a corner without trying to go all Attila the Hun on every paranormal entity in her line of sight

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Feb 3, 2013

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

red plastic cup posted:

If you'll look at the image that says Paranatural by Zach Morrison at the top, you can see Spender's shades chilling with Max's bat, Izzy's book, and Ed's brush. It also looks like Spender controls both black and white spectral energy, if I'm reading that page right.

His spectral energy is orange. No idea what his glasses were doing in that panel.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Meowjesty posted:

Also because fantasizing about Johnny getting a power to make him more of a ludicrous oaf is fun.

Fun, apocalyptically terrifying, it's a fine line, really.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Foreshadowing.

Cody, seemingly the most (read: only) normal person in Mayview, is a devious criminal mastermind.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Zerilan posted:

From how it sounded earlier, it's not really that he's left out, but Isabel and Ed just don't care about any of that as long as they get to fight spirits and play with superpowers.

Well, Isabel just wants to fight. No one knows what the gently caress Ed wants. I think Ed wants an automobile with bagels for wheels.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Blackheart posted:

How 'bout

Nope nope nope nope

Two different speeds, but maybe it was funnier in my head.

G-G-G-G-GHOSTS!?

Alternatively, P-P-P-P-POSTS!?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

SlothfulCobra posted:

Max's dad: worst parent, or best parent?

Max's dad for president. Campaign motto: Things Can't Get Any Worse.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
PJ's got a thousand-yard stare for every panel of that strip. His eyelids don't so much as twitch.

That kid's got it rough.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Tupperwarez posted:

drat it grandpa, you're too (shonen) anime to drive! Give me your keys.

I dunno, that kid on Isabel's left has got a way worse case of Shounenitis.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

The Devil Tesla posted:

Zack I love you please continue to be awesome.

Zack likes you, too.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Boss Lady for president.

edit: looking back through my posts I realize I made this exact comment about Max's dad. Clearly we need to have a president-elect cage match.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Splicer posted:

She's still carrying his face.

Well, what else would she do with it?

(My recommendation - boogie board. The shape is perfect!)

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I think the best part of Isaac is that all of his goofy theatrics are still just a thin lid on top of his kettle-boiling rage.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ronya posted:

Maybe the magical system of Paranatural actually operates on a self-aware melodramatic monomyth - perhaps only for the possessed mediums, who get caught up in whatever drama spirits engage in to while away the time.

That would also explain why mediums need to be isolated from the crisis-management stuff that Mr. Spender & co. engage in - eventually the narrative needs to discard the pesky human involved and achieve denouement.

No, it's because the spirits eavesdrop and not all of them are nice, hence why Spender flings away Isaac's bat before telling him his spirit might maybe possibly be out to kill him. Mediums can't switch off their spirits that way, so every secret Isaac hears would also be heard by Cloudface Thundercrotch.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ronya posted:

If they're this bad at coming up with excuses all the time, how have they not all been noticed and arrested?

They are way below the baseline for weirdness. This is the school that employs Mr. Starchman.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Izzy's doing God's work. "...And Zombies" books are best used as monster chow.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I hope we see Bunny Spirit again, he's cool.

Also he's totally just one guy, those other heads are some Cerberus deal or something.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

RandomPauI posted:

Is it possible for someone to be possessed without anyone's knowledge?

Given that possession seems to always involve mild-to-severe degrees of physical mutation, it's not likely. Isaac got off easy.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
This is not mine but I feel obligated to share it with you all.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Countblanc posted:

The next panel is probably going to be Spender telling Max that ghosts can't wield poo poo. Also this page was sorta boring but I think a lot of the PJ pages drag

So is there just, like, a lump of coal in your chest cavity or

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Rasamune posted:

This page is very confusing

Apparently Isabel's grandpa told Girlgeta exactly how to counter her attacks, just so Isabel would be humiliated. He is a doo doo head

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Suzy's sleep mask has pink sunglasses printed on it.

Suzy is all business, all the time.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Heavy Zed posted:

Why go to the trouble of styling that magnificent hawk if you're just going to hide it?

RJ is a medium, possessed by the ghost of Billy Idol.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Heavy Zed posted:

Not sure what you're talking about. It's just the shadow rabbit, the forge spirit, and the pixel dogs. The ghost train in the 4th panel isn't really there, it's just an illustration of what the rabbit is saying.

The pixel dogs are listening, which is how they got the idea of hitching a ride in the first place.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Forge really likes to tilt his head upward whenever he thinks he's being cool (which is usually).

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Line Feed posted:

I like how Spender seems to be putting an emphasis on the stu in students. As if there could be other kinds of dents on the train.

I read that as his voice cracking as he said it. As in "oh God, the children under my care are in mortal peril and it took this smug anvil-man to make me realize it."

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
That monologue.

Thank Christ that Forge never possessed Isaac, it'd be an anime singularity.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Wind God Sety posted:

I mean we can agree to disagree, I don't see anything particularly wrong with the writing on this page but if you don't like it that's cool, but you don't have to be a tool about it.

Yes he does, that's basically Windu's whole identity.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Wind God Sety posted:

If you're talking about the second panel, I think Isabel's slicing it in half with her spectral energy.

There are visible teeth all the way along its side. Those things are giant mouths in ratty-rear end fur sheaths.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

MikeJF posted:

Magnet Snake Land was sunset orange last time too; looks like he's a fan of the dramatic sunset bloom.

Why now, though?

"Stop sucking so much. You will spoil my nefarious plan. Scrappy out."

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

neogeo0823 posted:

Max and Isaac would be able to mostly coordinate, and Ed and Isabel were pretty darn good as a team. Also, spender shouldn't have abandoned his students for any reason, even if it meant breaking whatever rules about no spirits in or out of the bubble. Basically, Spender's gonna have hell to pay after this is all said and done.

He's already getting taunted by a giant anvil-man, what more do you want

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Meowjesty posted:

Retribution

Eightfold dying because Spender is an incompetent anime man is the greatest tragedy.

A valid point. The nerd must bleed.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

It shows Max's energy coming off him as he walks through the door, but Max just kind of randomly bleeds energy anyway so I'm not sure that means much.

More importantly is this. Not to say it isn't possible and Spender's just an idiot for not telling the kids about it, since telling them important things once it's too late is his thing, but I'm putting my money on Max having someone hanging around in his body on top of Scrapdragon chilling in his bat.

It's Scrapdragon, for goodness' sake. Spirits in tools that are in close proximity to their Spectral had might as well be possessing somebody, it's why Spender flings Max's bat across the room before briefing him on his assignment. There is no evidence, none, zero, that anything is particularly special about Max beyond being a fledgling gymnast with weapons-grade sarcasm who can see dead people and has a magic baseball bat containing a metal-master hell-snake. Perfectly mundane.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Captain Oblivious posted:

Some people in this thread need to be beaten violently with Occams Razor. There is no solid evidence whatsoever that anything other than Scrapdragon is possessing Max.

In light of that, the rational thing to do is to assume his spontaneous possession is related to the spirit we know he carries around rather than the spirit of santa claus we made up.

It is a bizarre goon habit to make up outlandish theories for the simplest plot developments in fiction and, when they invariably turn out to be wrong, get huffy because it's too "predictable."

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Fried Chicken posted:

Return to Spender v Forge. :unsmith:

Oh god it's Homestuck all over again

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Slime posted:

I really wonder if in that last panel, ol' Scrappy is actually being aggressive. I mean the dude was just caught lounging around naked. He's probably just issuing a flustered greeting. It's hard to smile nervously at a guest when your face looks like that, though.

I'm starting to think that Mediums/tooled-up Spectrals might get yanked into their spirit's world instinctively whenever they're having a near-death experience. If that's the case, Scrappy's probably annoyed. It's the second time in two days, geez.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Its expression on panel 4 does give off a certain "the gently caress are you doing here" vibe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Steel_ posted:

Update: http://www.paranatural.net/index.php?id=267

I don't think terms like 'dog' or 'cat' are really relevant any more.

They almost look like some kind of mobile skinned reptile head, with the original eyes forming the nostrils.