Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Max's expression in the back is priceless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
So, how many of you caught why the line "Wow, rude!? Golden rule, Issac!" was brilliant? It took me a few.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Fried Chicken posted:

Spell it out for me

Isaac's line "In the loose sense of the word, sure" was actually a subtle reference to this interaction:

http://paranatural.net/chapter-3-page-3/

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Mar 11, 2013

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Cat Mattress posted:

Mirror it though. It should face the posts.

Here you go!

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

loving hell I love this comic.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Am I the only one that sees the terrible potential flaw in Max's plan?

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Matlock Birthmark posted:

Do you mean a ghost wielding a tool would look really silly, since it would just be a floating object. Or do you mean the fact that since a ghost is all spectral energy that the tool would completely devour them?

The second. It's also possible that using a tool would shorten a ghost's lifespan since they don't seem to be able to replenish their spectral energy (which would be why they fade over time).

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Whalepocalypse is the best 'pocalypse.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Plot twist: Max's hat is a fragment of Christopher Walken.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Tollymain posted:

kickball tournament arc

It will be at least twenty chapters long and at least one major character will die.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
God damnit Cryophage I just bought this avatar!

Also, poor Jeff is going to have an arrest record when all is said and done. :stare:

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Laughed my rear end off when I saw this kid:

Also, hoping Ed got snubbed as a way to sabotage Jhonny's team from within.

Or maybe she just wants to face him in glorious Hitball single combat. :black101:

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Whitenoise Poster posted:

If Paranatural was an anime it'd be one of the few where it'd be hard to play "Spot the protagonist in the classroom."

Now I really want to play this game with someone using today's page.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Teach me the way of the GIF Cryophage.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
I love that even spirits know what Star Wars is.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
I swear Cody has to be like the sixth webcomic character to come out as gay this week.

*GASP!*

What if ALL the webcomic characters turn gay? WHAT HAPPENS THEN!?

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Roger Explosion posted:

We should start taking bets.

My money is on God smiting the internet. Because we all know that reasonable depictions of gay people are clearly the most offensive thing that happens on it.

Alternately when all the webcomic characters are gay there will be no webcomic babies causing the webcomic human race die out. Eventually all that will be left on the internet is page upon page of blank panels stretching on forever.

Renaissance Robot posted:

If your wardrobe was possessed with spirits of the correct colour, would getting dressed give you a smorgasbord of ghost powers?

Yes but I imagine wearing more than a couple items at a time would cause you be be spiritually bled dry awful quick.

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Apr 24, 2015

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

khy posted:

Someone remind me why Max is wearing his father's shirt

Max's dad is actually Max from the future.

Or maybe it's the other way around and the town Max moved from was the year 1995. It's hard to say for certain.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Totally saving the rough version (which I didn't realize was rough until I read the blurb) so that I can compare it to the final. :3:

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Final page is up. It's interesting to compare the two:

Am I a bad person if I like elements of the first page more? I particularly like Max in the first panel. The fact that only his pants are shaded makes them look like they're made of a shinny fabric or something. It's an interesting but subtle effect. *Files away in mental toolbox*

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
The best spirit for the best character.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Yeah, looking back that was kind of a dick move Ed.

http://www.paranatural.net/index.php?id=307

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Meh. Even sans-backgrounds it's still one of the better comics on the net.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Brannock posted:

Sports anime is the best anime.

If your pee-wee soccer league doesn't punish the loosing team by bulldozing their school with a giant battle-tank then you've been doing it wrong.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Wow. I can understand not approving of an author's decision to make a character gay but flat out denying it happened at all "cuz' Death of the author" is a special kind of crazy.

It's like they want to enjoy the comic, but can't because it's now promoting the evil gay agenda. So rather than be forced to stop reading they instead just will the decision out of existence. It's both sad and brilliant at the same time.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Probably Magic posted:

So there needs to be an elaborate background to distract from the action because...???

There doesn't, but it's something you notice if you go looking for it. Particularly if you compare the latest pages to his earlier chapters:

http://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-2-page-20

It's not so much a "problem" as it is "something that could be better".

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Will someone please explain to me where the "Anime is real" meme came from?

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

oddium posted:

conversely i feel that paranatural has seen on a stark upswing in every department and will probably continue to own bones for the foreseeable future. i don't know what you consider "humor" or "jokes" because the comedy's still top-notch. how can you look at floating cool kid or double crying phoenix or the Newzy with Suzy or sun tzu thumbs up hyperchess and disagree

The problem isn't the story Zack is telling but the format he's telling it in. We're this a weekly 20+ page manga there wouldn't be any issues. In fact, compared to many shonnen manga this is pretty damned efficient storrytelling. But at 1-2 pages a week the action scenes have the effect of slowing down time rather than speeding it up which can be aggravating if you're trying to follow things in real time.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Christ you people are assholes. Zack seems like a cool dude who is giving us something awesome for free. Cut him some slack.

Full-page color comics like this can take 10+ hours to make EACH. At two a week thats basically half a full time job pluss con trips, pluss website maintenence, pluss guest comics. That's a lot if work even before you factor in things like the fact that this isnt his day job or that the revenue the comic generates is probably not nearly as much as you think it is. Get over it, Zack doesn't owe you poo poo. Just relax and enjoy the cool comic as it comes.

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Nov 11, 2015

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Prison Warden posted:

Just because something doesn't cost money doesn't magically make it immune to criticism, what kind of argument even is that? Nor does criticising something make person some kind of murderous internet troll.

I have no problem with criticism (I do it all the time). My issue was with people criticizing the author as a person for not updating his free hobby project exactly the way that they'd like.

quote:

This is a point I guess. I think One Punch man (the original version) has that kind of release schedule? A whole bunch of actual, like, physical comics were published that way even if a lot of US comics stick to an issue-a-month schedule even when there's not much reason for it. I feel like if something is good enough (and Paranatural is) it could stand on it's own merits. the days of internet ad revenue being a huge thing are kind of over aren't they? I'm sure Zack could maintain a good income of readers (and money for hosting) through Patreon and merch sales at this point. I think my main concern is if you build up a rep for erratic updates it makes people more likely to bail altogether or lose interest.

How much can you reasonably expect to make from Patreon these days? Last I checked it wasn't much but that was a while ago.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Dude. Just save the RSS feed.

This isn't Marvel. Zack doesn't have a team of artists to lean on and he's doing this in his spare time as a hobby. You're not going to get a perfect update schedule. Such has been the case for most webcomics since the dawn of the internet. Let it go man.

Plus, again, his output is actually pretty good. Particularly when you factor in all his non-Paranatural stuff.

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Nov 12, 2015

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Matlock Birthmark posted:

And I agree, and have moved Paranatural to my once a month reads, no big deal. I guess I didn't articulate myself well. I'm trying to push back against the idea that people who have issue with lack of consistency are somehow being entitled jackasses. The people bothering Zack on social media certainly are, but is it so much of a problem if someone says here that Paranatural sometimes has pacing and update issues. I prefer stated consistency, and will drop comics after awhile if it becomes a major problem. Paranatural is hardly at that level, but for example, I've dropped the Meek awhile ago, and probably will not return to it again even now that it's updating regularly.

In the end, I think you had the best point RSS solves this problem very nicely.

Fair enough. I on the other hand keep them bookmarked basically forever.

Because I am the dog from Futurama when it comes to webcomics.

(RPG World is comming back. You'll see!)

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

kinmik posted:

I just read the chapter from the beginning, and hitball flows really nicely that way, with the exceptions of the boring stuff (i.e. when everyone's monologueing/providing explanations/detailing their masterplans). I had forgotten small important things that happened along the way, like the fact that Suzy is still documenting, and supplying Max with a wire.

When you read it in one long go, you can't tell that it took the greater part of 2015 to churn out. Webcomics are like TV episodes, in that they're nice to watch as they air so you can...air your grievances and flip out over the good poo poo, but they're even better when you're drunk and binge-watching them on Netflix. I like hitball again, but I can't wait for Hijack to gently caress off to the teacher's lounge.

Agreed. We also got awesome stuff like seeing Dimitri in action, learning that Coty is some kind of killing machine, and experiencing the heartbreaking near-offscreen drama of the hitball twins.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
I will never understand the logic of wanting consistency so much that you'd be willing to cut output in half to get it.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

VictorGrunn posted:

I actually feel bad for Hijack here. Saying 'Jeff had the right to punch Johnny, not you! You're a bully!' leaves out - Jeff couldn't. He was weak, outnumbered and humiliated, and this is clearly part of a regular routine for him. Jeff popping Johnny one would have been met with a moment's shock and Friendship Formation Kick The poo poo Out Of Jeff.

Popping him one at Jeff's request would have also been acceptable. The problem is that he didn't actually ask. And the reason he didn't ask was because his rampage was never about helping Jeff in the first place but hurting someone he found distasteful. Hence, Max ripping him a new one.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

MikeJF posted:

I'm getting a bit of Psychonauts vibe here.

This is not a bad thing.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Countblanc posted:

holy poo poo

Yeah. It's kind of the fatal flaw for longform webcomics. I think a lot of aspiring artists would benefit from trying to make the equivalent of a two-hour movie rather than a twenty volume manga. It would tighten up the pacing and they'd actually have a decent shot of finishing their story.

(Paranatural can stay just the way it is though.)

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Dolash posted:

Or, alternatively, having spirits squat in front of the camera for a whole movie's production such that no spectral can actually see what's going on.

I would make it my life's mission to hunt down every one of these cheeky bastards and send them straight to hell. :catstare:

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Every line of Isaac and Ed's conversation delights me. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Who What Now posted: