Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Pretty impressive Zack. Starting with a light hearted funny comic and then killing the main character by throwing him off a train and having an important secondary character torn apart by horrifying dog monsters. Wasn't expecting such a dark turn. Kinda gusty move imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

I always got the impression that the possession was obviously Scrapdragon BUT the fact that he took over Max at all without his knowing, much less from a tool, was something specific to Scrapdragon. Either as showing that he's some ungodly strong high tier being or a specific trick that he can pull off. Like I really wish I could say this is from the streams but it's been long enough that my memory of them is basically gone, but I've been working under the assumption that even for directly possessed spectrals hijacking like that is rare to the point where people can say it Just Doesn't Happen.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Triskelli posted:

Speaking of, even though I can do a decent job of reading Forge's spirit speak, I have trouble with Doorman. Is there a translation?

Googled and found this http://paranatural.wikia.com/wiki/Spirit_Languages

Doorman posted:

YOUR RETURN CHANGES NOTHING, SCHEMER. MY MASTER DOES NOT FEAR BROKEN GODS.

ARROGANCE.YOUR POWER IS NOTHING TO BE AFRAID OF. RIDDLES AND WORD GAMES.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

It would be funny if it turned out scrapdragon talks completely different then possessed Max and it turns out there is a second spirit on the grassy knoll.

Edit: I found a thing

Whitenoise Poster fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Jun 6, 2014

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Yeah, what she's actually eating is the WORDS on the paper. And the paper itself is just leftover wast that she magically controls. So presumably she could slurp the words off of other things.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Pretty sure those are just piercings. Max's mom has been pretty consistently shown as kinda punk.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

Have we actually seen her outside of the comic?

There are three drawings of her outside the comic that I know of. Found two of them.

The missing one shows Max's mom being bad at holding babies is pretty funny.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

I'm really looking forward to the meeting of Max's mom. What little info we got of her gives her the potential to be a really fun character(who am I kidding all of Zack's characters are fun).

I really want Max's dad and sister to become spectrals so they can all hang out with ghost mom.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

It sounds like(and looks, considering the outfits) that the Cousinhood hunts things outside of spirit spectrum. Remember when Spender was yelling on the phone about there being "no monsters in Mayveiw."?

What I'm saying is Mr. Garcia is still a werewolf.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Chapter four contains the entire rest of the story of Paranatural. Its a really long chapter.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Max confirmed for Three Spirits.

Let's kill that bunny thing and another blackish spirit to make him Max Five Spirits and then he and Johnny can switch names.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

The entire comic was leading up to this exact moment. Every page worth the wait.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Countblanc posted:

But also the thing someone said about that being an objective Good Thing For The Student/Child in this sort of fiction so whatever.

Blackheart posted:

Also this operates on cartoonime logic where brutally strict tutors are usually for the best in the long run.

Literally every time anime tropes and cliches show up it's as a joke or to make a character look like a huge dork. Just looking at this single page says that of all possible ones to play completely straight, this particular one won't be it.

If it even comes up at all I expect "Wow grandpa being an rear end in a top hat has really helped Isabel in the long run!" to have it's legs immediately cut out from under it with "Wait just kidding it actually just made her miserable and have emotional issues that make everything worse and accomplish the exact opposite of whatever Gramps wanted to accomplish with his bullshit."

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

When the store comes online he should work on making little bunny ninja plushies.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Issac is gonna find out that Spender knows about Doorman without finding out HOW and he's gonna blame Max for selling him out.

Ninja bunnies still cute.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

No ones gonna comment on the sad, sad fact that a little girl is working retail at such a young age.

Poor thing never stood a chance.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

If Paranatural was an anime it'd be one of the few where it'd be hard to play "Spot the protagonist in the classroom."

Like there is obviously a few really great standouts but ALL these backgroundians show enough personality that I really wouldn't mind getting to know them more over a page or five. There's not a single miss.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Also before we find out all their real names someone with a lot of free time needs to label the picture with a bunch of goofy nicknames for all the characters we don't know yet.

My favorite thing is that I'm pretty sure all these guys have showed up in old pages.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Invisible dodgeballs?

This must be the work of an enemy Stand.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Mazerunner posted:

oh, the skull on Violet's shirt has hearts for eyes and nose.

that's pretty neat, and would be a cool shirt to wear, I think.

I'd say he should make and sell that but I'm 90% sure that already exists at your local hot topic.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

I wonder what the spirit looked like when he imagined it before he read Jojo. If I remember correctly he didn't read it until about halfway into chapter two when everyone kept asking if he read it/did it inspire the comic.

Like the Sun Wukong thing was given considering he mentioned it being a monkey and the stretchy powers.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Cubone posted:

I honestly hope she isn't a spectral. I love that Lisa is the spooky supernatural character in a series where the supernatural is a known quantity and she somehow loses none of the mystique.

I want Suzy's insult/wild accusation to be accidentally 100% correct and that Lisa is literally a witch. Like she has basically no knowledge of spectral poo poo she's busy being in an entirely different parallel supernatural anime.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Cat Mattress posted:

http://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-6-page-41
I guess the cute little angel-kitty is going to be an actual threat, because the Sphinx of Games has been thoroughly established as a non-threat.

Who the heck are these kids? Adding more new characters again?

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

SKULL.GIF posted:

WAIT.

WAIT!!

Ultra-spunky blonde woman with a penchant for getting into trouble and investigating things that she shouldn't be. Acts dumber than she actually is when necessary/convenient. Aesthetic: bubbly, pink, white.

Miss....... Suzy.

loving lmao if true.

Somebody get Zack a no poo poo actual robot wrist already because as hard as i try to get annoyed and drop the comic due to how loving slow things are going they keep hitting me with wild rear end twist after wild rear end twist and I wanna see if the motherfucker can stick the landing before we all die.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

People will probably disagree with me but chapters 3+4 we're probably the best art and writing wise. Neither have been hitting me as good since like the back half of hitball on.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Bear in mind that Zach basically destroyed their hands creating chapters 3 and 4. Good, yes. Sustainable, no.

Sure, that's the excuse for the art change, but I don't think their wrist is stopping them from writing as many funny lines as they used to.

What I'm saying is hurry up and put Johnny back on screen. And Max.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

For some reason it never really clicked in my head till right this second that the kids knew Spender back when he was just a slightly older kid. No wonder they don't take him seriously as an authority figure.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Being a better older brother to Isabel then to his own actual sibling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Paranatural more like Zeno's paradoxural