Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.
Wait, am I hallucinating/misremembering/getting different parts of the story mixed up or did that page that was just posted use to have a different, much doofier-looking snake on it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

tinaun posted:

The doofy face was here, in chapter one.

Yeah, that's the one I was thinking of. No idea how I got those wires crossed.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Well some stuff has been foreshadowed that is rather dire, like how Max's mom died, for instance.

Yeah, this comic's pretty lighthearted but it definitely has the occasional hint of darkness. I was rereading the second chapter the other day and the moment where Max latches on to any hope of seeing his mom again is actually kind of heavy.

Of course, PJ immediately defuses it by being a goofball, but this comic is proving to be pretty deft at playing the "serious momeNOPE here's a joke" game.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

A big flaming stink posted:

I read some pretty cool speculation that the snake spirit is actually a hydra spirit. That would make the "But I didn't end up with the sense of humor" more apt if the speaker is referring different heads. Plus that may be the "faction" he speaks of.

My initial thought is that the spirit adopts some, but not all, parts of its host's personality and the "sense of humor" in question is Max's. It could be basically anything at this point, though.

The dialog in this comic never fails to impress. At first I thought the author was just really good at goofy banter but he knocks it out of the park when the characters are using relatively severe speech patterns, too.

e: A thought just occurred to me: Doorman's reference to "word games and riddles" apparently refers to whatever "faction" Max's spirit belongs to. Maybe I'm reading too much into this, but the fact that we just met a ghost with a particular fondness for riddles can't be a coincidence, right?

Opposing Farce fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Mar 3, 2013

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Cat Mattress posted:

The sphinx is a spirit, not a ghost.

Not gonna lie, I'm so used to using them interchangeably that I doubt I'll get it straight any time soon.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Zerilan posted:

From how it sounded earlier, it's not really that he's left out, but Isabel and Ed just don't care about any of that as long as they get to fight spirits and play with superpowers.

The uncensored dialog suggests that Spender isn't telling Isaac anything specifically because he's a medium, so it may very well be that Isabel and Ed do know something and Isaac is deliberately being left out of the loop. If that's the case, the fact that they don't care is simply another biter irony for the universe to torment Isaac with.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Azran posted:

Wow, what a change. :stare:

I do love the commentary in that page where a guy goes all "DUDE, THAT'S A CLICHE VILLAIN" on him. :3:

What's interesting to me is how different that page feels from more recent ones even just in terms of tone. It's all vaguely ominous foreshadowing played fairly straight, and while there's definitely some of the goofy sensibility I've come to associate with Paranatural (especially in hindsight, now that we've seen Spender's true face) it's a little odd seeing Spender do the mystery man thing for a whole page without devolving into a complete doofus by the end. The "night lamps" panel is a nice, weirdly creepy little bit of detail, too, which I think lends to the slightly sinister atmosphere the page has.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Blackheart posted:

I love that GOOD GOD face on Stephen :haw:

Hoodie kid (RJ?) is terrifying.

RJ has my favorite design out of all of them.

Do we know of any other gingers with hair Stephen might be thinking of? I'm not sure if Jeff qualifies as "ginger" but looking over the cast page he's the only one who might fit and I feel the vagueness of Johnny's description is setting up some kind of wacky misunderstanding.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

I've been in desperate need of a new avatar for a while now, so this seemed as good an occasion as any.

Madrox posted:

She might just be suggesting to Isabel that she's sounding like her grandfather, which based on what we've seen, is likely to ruffle her feathers.

Yeah, I'm almost certain we're just meant to read that as a "you're turning into your (grand)parents!" thing.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

According to Twitter that scene was supposed to be a little more serious and he decided he wanted to cut back on the self-deprecation. I can kind of see where he's coming from, honestly; Emo Fresh was funny but the comic's done the same joke with essentially the same punchline a number of times already and I could see it getting old if he didn't start curtailing it a bit now.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

I guess nobody's told PJ that Bruce Willis was dead all along.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Wild speculation: Grandpa wasn't talking to Isabel.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Matlock Birthmark posted:

It also appears to have annoyed Girlgeta. I don't think he told her that wolf head move was only useful for humiliating Isabel. Least, that's what I took from her annoyed glare there.

I think it's probably more she's annoyed Isabel knows she had privileged information going into the fight. She probably thinks it cheapens the win. (It could also be she resents Grandpa calling her magic wolf head "needlessly elaborate" but since that reaction comes a couple panels afterwards I don't think that's what she's reacting to.)

Countblanc posted:

I guess it was always sorta obvious, but it's good to know that there's a sizable number of people who can control/fight with spirit energy, but not actually have a tool/be possessed. I just assumed the two went hand in hand.

Am I missing something here? I'm not quite sure what you're referring to.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Countblanc posted:

Grandpa said that, if it weren't for Isabel's tool, she'd take his lessons to heart and become a True Fighting Champion or whatever. Instead, he sees her tool as a crutch that's keeping her from actually becoming a better spirit-fighter-person since it's probably a lot easier to make a tidal wave of paper to crush your foes than it is to magical martial arts a rogue ghost into submission. My point was that it never occurred to me that people would actually train their spirit technique unless they had a tool or plans to get one.

Ah, okay, now I follow. I thought you meant that some spectrals were actually incapable of using tools or becoming a medium.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Paramemetic posted:

Can anyone other post the alt text for me? I am out of town and phone only.

"As your BFF I am also aware of your intense dislike for Uncool Things"

Also gee Eightfold I appreciate getting this exposition and all but is now really the time to talk about your backstory?

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

I'm half-expecting scrapdragon to never actually talk, just communicate entirely through long, meaningful stares and the accompanying feelings of terror and awe.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Keromaru5 posted:

I remember thinking when I first saw Mom's leather jacket and piercings, "This explains so much about Max and his family."

It really does.

Just going off of character design Max's mom seems like a pretty cool mom. Shame about the whole death thing.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

I absolutely love the way this page ends.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Dolash posted:

The respect and autonomy is from the Consortium, albeit the exact amount of each is a bit questionable considering the current investigation.

That's not true; we know exactly how much respect Boss Leader has for Spender.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

AnonSpore posted:

A Sandwiched Nerd is an exquisite descriptor.

Also a pretty good username.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Every time I look at this page I catch some more details and it just gets more hilarious. It's fantastic.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Congratulations, Spender, it turns out there is someone out there who's almost as much of a gently caress-up as you are. Almost.

Opposing Farce fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Nov 9, 2014

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

reignonyourparade posted:

I think it's supposed to be the guard that's almost as much of a fuckup as spender.

Yeah, that's who I had in mind.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Leper Residue posted:

Is there alt text? I'm not getting any.

"Ed not in wide shots before his appearance b/c he was slithering through the grass like a snake"

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Countblanc posted:

I genuinely hope Spender has done something to earn loyalty, because we've been told time and time again by characters that he's Mr. Billy Badass and yet we really haven't seen that outside of his temporary "you wouldn't like me when I'm angry" burst of ~dark powers~.

Spender is a total dork, has lousy decision-making skills and clearly sucks at teaching, but in terms of spirit stuff he seems to be genuinely competent. Cocksure and foolish, sure, but he does know what he's doing. Thing is, he's never really shown any signs of being more than just "competent," and I suspect he actually isn't. I'm willing to bet he got his reputation for strength by leaning on the powers of that dark spirit of his, and I'd also bet he only subdued that spirit through sheer luck, if it was even his doing at all.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Tollemache posted:

Max's mom who is also Boss Leader :colbert:

Max's boss who is also Mom Leader

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Luneshot posted:

Max's leader, who is also The Boss

And his mom, which I guess makes him Ocelot

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Kikas posted:

This is my canon until proven otherwise.

And also after proven otherwise.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Countblanc posted:

which anime?

danganronpa: the animation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Captain Oblivious posted:

No. No he most definitely is not.

But it's good to see him trying to connect with people rather than putting up dumb Loner Walls like normal so I hope it works out :unsmith:

isabel and hijack are totally going to hit it off