Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

dpbjinc posted:

But can non-spectrals see the shadows?

Well, if spirits cast shadows and there are some real big spirits out there, I'd say no. Otherwise somebody woulda noticed by now :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What a waste of a perfectly good posting slot :mad:

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Obviously Spender's attack screwed up Forge's attack. I wonder why Forge is shrugging it off?

Also I just realized that the magnet snake in the banner opens their head/mouth thing when you scroll the mouse over it :v:

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
No, it's definitely a tool. It just so happens that spirits can interact with their tool-users (perhaps only when they're in contact with their tools? or close proximity?) like they do the possessed.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If that happens this is going to be very awkward.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
His host shut it down because he's getting too much traffic :v:

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Calaveron posted:

If Forge's powers consist of being able to make weapons out of random bits of metal I desperately want him to possess Max for that magnetism/weapon synergy.

Gray spectral energy.
I wonder if spectral energy color is more like a spectrum (there's a pun here somewhere) or hard-coded categories. Gray isn't too different from black.

... I really doubt Forge would get along with Magnet Snake though. (I really wish we knew that thing's name.)

Brought To You By posted:

So basically Accel World? I can dig that.

And the possibility of Manvil getting defeated increases. :ohdear:

Well, if Forge is defeated he's more likely to stick around as a character :allears:
Or be definitively gone forever.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Still hard to tell exactly what the nature of Spender's shadow-manipulation power is. Cool trick though.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Captain Oblivious posted:

drat, Spender. That's pretty good improv poltergeist martial arts right there :golfclap:

I doubt he hasn't been waiting for a chance to use that trick ever since last week when Isabel dunked on Isaac while sparring exactly the same way :v:

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Forge is gonna end up in Max's backpack if he bites it.

Actually if he bites it he might be fine after all, fucker's got teeth :v:

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's going to turn out that Spender's being hilariously inefficient with the shadow spirit's powers; he just thinks the most effective style of using them looks dumb :allears:

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zero_Tactility posted:

I love how pissed off Forge is by this turn of events. At the end of the previous strip he seemed completely resigned to his fate, and now he's just so angry that Spender hasn't lived up to his expectations.

He was basically prepared to go out in a blaze of glory for the last half-dozen strips or so :allears:

Like I said though, I'm pretty sure that Spender is being stupid/an enormous dork and not effectively using his medium powers. I don't have much to go off of other than his reaction to what Forge just said and what Isabella's grandpa said, though.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ProfessorProf posted:

The light spirit lives in the sunglasses he is always wearing. The dark spirit lives in the gloves he is always wearing.

He's only been wearing them this chapter though.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Forge :allears:

E: Max's falling face is amazing. I'm not sure what Isabel is trying to do though. She caught Max, but how is that supposed to help if she let go of the floor?

Tollymain fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Mar 28, 2014

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Oxxidation posted:

That monologue.

Thank Christ that Forge never possessed Isaac, it'd be an anime singularity.

Gray and blue aren't that dissimilar~

Bananachin posted:

If you look in the first panel of here, though, it looks like the train's pointed its nose straight down and done its deflecty dealie.

The train and all its passengers are going to be six feet under if those two dorks don't stop philosophising at each other.

More like sixty feet, that train is hauling

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I dunno, that seems a touch too dark.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Brannock posted:

The third panel reads almost like a rap.

You fucker.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

A big flaming stink posted:

Ava's Demon is awful because it tries to have a homestuck-level of plot complexity and cast size from the very beginning of the story. It just dumps loads of characters and conspiracies

Dude there are like 7-8 characters and a mostly-unexplored conspiracy and a half so far. If that's too much for you I don't think it's the comic that's the problem :mmmhmm:

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is Izzy going into hyperspeed spirit communing mode? I hope it's not something worse :ohdear:

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Trebuchet King posted:

I wonder--we earlier saw Eightfold manifest briefly before getting re-tooled, with the implication that that's been done a few times. They seem to have a decent rapport, I'm curious as to if they've considered ditching the book and going medium.

I was just wondering why they haven't tried that already honestly :v:

Maybe the appearance complication is more trouble than the advantages are worth?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That alt text is the pinnacle of silly crude hilarity :allears:

SlothfulCobra posted:

Eightfold knows too much to be as weak and unimportant as she lets on.

She's probably just as weak as she appears to be. On the other hand, who said intelligence/breadth of knowledge/importance had to correlate with power level?

Tollymain fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Apr 18, 2014

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Things that are true and not at all theories:

Spender will go to the dark side and turn into a Naruto character.

Johnny is going to end up with the most absurdly obnoxious power in existence. Possibly even being an excrementalist :shrek:

Max dies in this chapter and is replaced by the real hero of this story, P.J.! :ghost:

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Why would she be angry with him?

I mean, she doesn't have to be a rational actor. But Max didn't do anything to shape her or her worldview, and he didn't treat Eightfold as particularly subhuman (as far as I can tell anyway). Maybe she would project her anger at herself on him?

I don't know, I think it would just drive a wedge deeper into her relationship with her grandfather.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Goodbye Isabel, we hardly knew ye :v:

Joking aside shiiiiiiit

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/paranaturalzack/status/463578284484091904

Alt text: *eightfold pulls out gun*

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Eightfold isn't gonna die she's just gonna be trapped underground until her prison rots apart :buddy:

Anybody else notice that her lower eye is tearing up?

Edit: I suddenly feel very, very sorry for the cursedogs :unsmigghh:

Tollymain fucked around with this message at 10:07 on May 9, 2014

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
She's not going to actually die dammit :v:

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

paradoxGentleman posted:

We choose to willfully ignore that she's not gonna die because being stuck forever in a mine while your corporeal vessel slowly rots is worse.

Man how long do you think an unprotected book is going to last underground?

The real concern is a) Eightfold will be stuck outside of the shieldbubblewallbarrier thing (what's it called again?) and b) Eightfold's liable to get noshed on by your average passing feral spirit :v:

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zenzirouj posted:

(he? she? it?)

Pretty sure Eightfold's a she.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

theshim posted:

God drat but it's been far too long since we've had Johnny.

Good news! There is no way he isn't showing up on the scene at some point :eng101:

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mystic Mongol posted:

A big explanation about how she was sacrificing herself to save the new kid when it was completely unnessecary? That would only make sense if Eightfold was a goo who took herself entirely too seriously, just like Max, Johnny, Isaac, Isaac's Spirit, Spender, Tex, Boss Leader, Suzy, and Mr. Garcia. Paranatural is too much of a gritty, high stakes adventure for Eightfold not to die in the most horrible way imaginable!

Calm down you lunatics

Empty quote this if I could.

Can't wait for the next update :allears:

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What is up with you nerds assuming Eightfold is gonna die :v:

This page is a heckuva lot of avatarbait.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Explain to me how Eightfold is about to die, as opposed to being trapped inside a book underground for a few years.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

He's been confirmed somewhere for coming back. His powers are plot relevant, it appears.

More like Johnny-relevant :getin:

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The moralizing is the half of the jokes though

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
... Huh?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It looks like a cross between an insect and a poofy parka.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah that's the kind of situation that'll leave you with PTSD :(

E: honestly I wouldn't be surprised if we get a moment like this when the dust settles.

Tollymain fucked around with this message at 07:21 on May 31, 2014

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hey he did a better job of watching her starboard than she did his :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Scrapdragon is apparently roughly the size of the train. Long-lost relatives? :haw: