Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
I see someone supplied Ed with Wholesome Gifts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
Slamming the door doesn't seem to fit in with trying to evade the attention of someone you just noticed.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
Perhaps keeping thoughts to yourself whilst dreaming is hard.

Or maybe he's just a ridiculous nerd!

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
Are foods normally ferromagnetic?

Unless these thieves are really into the canned goods, I suppose.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
This is a webcomic about not being the shonen protagonist. Oh my god.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
It took me a re-read to notice the GREAT HERO! thing, actually.

I wonder whether a point is of Isaac's attitude to the non-spirit world...

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
Maybe the magical system of Paranatural actually operates on a self-aware melodramatic monomyth - perhaps only for the possessed mediums, who get caught up in whatever drama spirits engage in to while away the time.

That would also explain why mediums need to be isolated from the crisis-management stuff that Mr. Spender & co. engage in - eventually the narrative needs to discard the pesky human involved and achieve denouement.

ronya fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jul 19, 2013

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

Oxxidation posted:

No, it's because the spirits eavesdrop and not all of them are nice, hence why Spender flings away Isaac's bat before telling him his spirit might maybe possibly be out to kill him. Mediums can't switch off their spirits that way, so every secret Isaac hears would also be heard by Cloudface Thundercrotch.

That doesn't really explain why Max's experience of the spirit world is so obviously different from Isaac's, a point which is being hammered in from the last two strips. Max is so crazily isolated by whatever reality-distorting effect that follows him around that he hasn't even met a school bully before, at least until former-urban-gang-member Isaac comes crashing into Mayview and drags Max into it. Instead his life is, apparently, an unending series of neatly bow-tied supernatural adventures that occur so regularly that it reaches a dramatic conclusion every morning.

Max goes on fetch quests assigned by magical princesses. Isaac gets to deal with shoplifters. That's the contrast being illustrated here, isn't it?

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

Yoya posted:

You mixed up the names and its crazy ahhhhhhh.

whoops

oh well whatever :v:

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
Huh. Maybe those stars do something.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
If they're this bad at coming up with excuses all the time, how have they not all been noticed and arrested?

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
What's the significant panel of Violet supposed to indicate?

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Crush, I think from the blush.

Hmm. I guess that's plausible. Is that the first suggestion of it thus far in the comic?

Also, my previous remark that they should disguise themselves as the Improv club still stands.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
Why do all that stuff in a public staircase?

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
She'll now be falling faster because of Max's acceleration, so she could try to grab the book again. That would leave her with no hands to hold on to anything, though.

(there's no indication that any of this actually obeys actual physics, she could also do the ultrafastspiritworld thing and rearrange book and Max alike to some suitable position)

ronya fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Mar 28, 2014

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
If being pulled into the spirit world is effortless, you'd think they would do it all the time during battles to teleport around the place.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
drat it use your superspeed time more productively

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
he's most powerful if he lets rip with the light or shadow, but he can't do that readily because of the need to maintain a balance?

I guess he should be carrying an LED floodlamp on his person more often

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
she might have heard of spender and zarei as tragic heroes holding back some unspecified horror in a noble act of self-sacrifice

which might not be entirely wrong but she might be misapprehending the nature of the horror and/or the self-sacrifice

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
some speculation:

Spender cares too much about the approval of those he respects, he's essentially shallow that way. He fights to save Mayview out of seeking this approval (not least of which, from his continuous mental companion), or at least the approval he imagines he'd get if those he respected knew of his dilemmas, but this is essentially a means to an end of obtaining such approval

and that's what's going to show up in his dating life, I daresay. He doesn't want to be loved as much as respected, when in practice the constraints of his commitments make him appear weird and eccentric. He's weird without 'owning it'.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
naturalistic dialogue doesn't pair well with full-page coloured and shaded panels

I don't have any hot take ideas here; one assumes Zack does not wish to return the comic to its initial 2011 b&w design (which was already hilariously over-detailed in its presentation; it's been a decade-long constant)

ronya fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Sep 25, 2021

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
in chapter 7 alone, the plot-critical 20 pages of flashback to Young Spender and the Wight is already outweighed by the subsequent flashback to (slightly less young) Spender and Isabel at camp; pacing-wise the former is perceptibly less decompressed than the latter.

maybe the comic doesn't need an artist, but just a budget for the plot beats for each chapter

if that gives less opportunity for hilarious panels and the fun-to-draw character moments, well, them's the breaks. Worldbuilding all the zany cast of thousands still needs to motivate why the reader should care about the cast of thousands - all that effort poured in showing how craaaaaazy Suzie is - well she hasn't shown up again in literally years so the next effort poured into showing how craaaaaazy all these other characters are just feels like bait

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
time for a twenty page detour down the merry garden path of Crush's deep inner life and conflicted motivations

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
Carrying Hijack along is the only emergency insurance Cody has against a sudden command he doesn't anticipate.

It's interesting that during Hitball, Davy shows up soon but not immediately. So mortal danger (and high intensity exercise) has some limits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
on one hand, Cody is really underthinking this

on the other hand, he's a kid looking for his mum

hitball arc suggests he coasts a lot on his supernatural abilities and isn't the Dmitri-type overthinker

maybe he just hasn't realized that bringing Hijack out with him might be a bad idea, given that Davy can instantly see Hijack floating around whilst Cody has to echolocate

ronya fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Dec 17, 2023