Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Even if Isaac doesn't become a villain, I'm sure the spirit inside of him will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Opposing Farce posted:

Yeah, this comic's pretty lighthearted but it definitely has the occasional hint of darkness. I was rereading the second chapter the other day and the moment where Max latches on to any hope of seeing his mom again is actually kind of heavy.

Of course, PJ immediately defuses it by being a goofball, but this comic is proving to be pretty deft at playing the "serious momeNOPE here's a joke" game.

This page? Because that actually makes Max's "Five years?" comment sort of :smith:. But yeah, I'm betting Max's mom will show up again.

As the spirit who makes Suzy a medium :unsmigghh:

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Did Isaac always have that flustered cheek? I started noticing that after Max walked through Doorman.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

I wonder if this spirit is why Isaac is quick to lightning anger? I can see him becoming a completely different person when his fluffy lightning dog leaves. Provided a spirit's container isn't destroyed when the spirit gets back to 100%.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

The Devil Tesla posted:

Max is so cute as an anti-hero :3:

I think Isabel was saying that to Isaac. Still, I'm sure Mayview is big enough for two brooding anti-heroes.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

I think Big Boss Leader only loves Spender's true face.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

I bet Boss Leader is Max's mom.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

I want to send those last few pages to Isayama, but I don't know enough Japanese to provide context.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Tuxedo Ted posted:

Yeah! "Black spectral energy!? That's... fairly common." always got a chuckle out of me. And now that I look at it again, Max wasn't even one-shotting it himself, it was getting quadruple-teamed by him and the rest of the Paranatural Activity Club.

I like how Max's eye glows in that second-to-last panel. They just met and the time serpent is already trying to set up shop in Max's head.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

The Spirit of America is smaller than expected.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

I wonder if that was just a regular eagle spirit and just manifested a patriotic top hat when Uncle Sam became a thing?

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Is Boss Lady keeping tabs on Max or is that just a garden variety face spider?

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Someone's tool better be a hula hoop.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

That train is a spirit but it's still made of metal, right?

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

But who will be Lucas, Boney, Kumatora, and Duster?

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

I liked the awkward silence and Spender's equally awkward apology when he accidentally revealed how Max's mom went out. Max did look pretty upset when Spender went all EVERY LETHAL DISEASE.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Paranatural should be animated by Disney. Anime was born from Disney so it'll be a full circle-type deal.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

I don't remember seeing Digimon goggles on Isaac. What was the first page he showed up in?

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

He's got a kickin' rad Game Gear-like brick in there, too. Morrison says Isaac doesn't watch anime, but I get the feeling that he's watched stuff like Digimon without realizing it's anime.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

If Paranatural continues this trend of increasingly becoming more similar to Asian animated cartoons, then I wouldn't be surprised if Studio Trigger starts referencing it some ten or twenty years after its ending.

Anyway, were we formally introduced to Agent Day yet? I'd assume Day was the person with white dreads sitting right outside of the ghost train, but Spender only spoke to Doctor Zarei before boarding.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

drat, I knew I recognized that art style and product placement from somewhere.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

The train's still in the forest, right? Eightfold could still land on Johnny or one of his crew.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

If this gets animated, then it'll be convenient that all of the dramatic quotes and poo poo for the trailer are frontloaded in the first few chapters so as to avoid spoilers.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

japanese cartoons

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

This is the third time Max broke a fall with a smaller fall.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

I hope they mind-swap at some point

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

For all we know, this explanation is for the convenience of foreign audiences which aren't as in tune to what a Cupid arrow does. Foreign audiences like the Japanese. For when this comic is translated to Japanese. Possibly by me. When I actually learn Japanese and learn to work Photoshop. And ideally after Paranatural finishes so I have context.

Does マックシトリリオン make sense? And how do I convert the Japanese word for "pacifist" into something including the Japanese word for "fist"?

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

I got it.

百万
百マックス

Level Slide fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Oct 2, 2014

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

First one is read "hyakuman", or the Japanese word for one million. With that in mind, the second one is read "hyakuMax". It's less than a trillion, but it still shows that Suzy sees Max as a treasure trove of scoops for the journalism club.

And that's one pun out of however many are in the comic so far.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Day's constant references to her own handicap are problematic and it makes me uncomfortable

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Are those the two dogs Isabel suplexed into each other?

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

MikeJF posted:

Hah!

Random thing from the past I never noticed: Page 70 is the same shots as Page 18 in reverse.

That reminds me of the opening to Natsume's Book of Friends Continued. Coincidentally, it also has the same sort of "supernatural going-ons observable only by a few people" conceit as Paranatural, although it's less action-packed and more easygoing in comparison. Unless that changed in later seasons.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

For that reason, I doubt Johnny would take Isaac into the fold.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Just in case an Avatar Fairy does grace the Paranatural thread, please leave my avatar intact. I want to continue repping Inazuma Eleven.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Renaissance Robot posted:

Football sucks, hitball 4 lyfe

I'm sure you'll change your tune when Coach Oop takes his next class out to the pitch and hands them a medicine ball.