Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Would he be so brazen as to sully pajama day??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I knew him from Home Movies years before Archer and he's still always going to be Archer.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

You can google the word "bleachers" and see an example, this is literally what they're referring to. Yes, American school gyms have seating for audiences, as sometimes they and other, rival schools, will challenge each other to a duel of Hoops and occasionally beachless beach volleyball.

These are also the favored staging grounds for such maneuvers as "school pep rallies" where you're encouraged to build pride in one's school and its associated sporting representatives. And if the school in question doesn't have a proper auditorium, as is often the case for schools holding the younger age bracket, these are also where less prestigious mass-assembly functions may be held. Such as spelling bees (known by some to be Hoops for Nerds) and science fairs (beachless beach volleyball for Nerds).

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

XTREME *~Violence~*

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Johnny is a bully fueled by the power of friendship and diligent athleticism.

And alliteration.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

blastron posted:

(Also you could read it as subtext about how he's not really with the team but subtext is for huge nerds)

To be fair, as far as subtext goes that's about as subtle as a hitball to the face.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

"I recognized him... as soon as he left the ground."

:allears:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I am totally cool with Suzy blowing the lid off this trashcan full of ghosts.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Heart of gold, head of bricks.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

In other words it's a good plan based on incomplete information.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Back when the LPer duo Run Button got started, people thought Kyle was Keith because he was the one who said the name "Keith" when talking. Likewise, Keith was mistaken for Kyle because he was the one who referred to the other LPer as "Kyle."

Basically people think other people operate on Pokemon name rules.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Still better than the opposite.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

As if Johnny Jhonny wasn't already the best character with the healthiest relationship with his buddies.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Seriously though, I do like how Max is a practical and pragmatic foil to stereotypical protagonists you see in the sort of anime that Paranatural riffs off of and makes him an interesting and relatable protagonist. But this also means that Zack can go ahead and take those tired and trite ideals re: the power of friendship and instead give them to the comedy relief bully character. That little shift in context makes the strength and sincerity of Johnny's friendship come off as endearing and admirable rather than a milquetoast "moral of the story" to be taken for granted.

Meanwhile Spender's an angstier flavor of protagonist who never grew up and everyone around him suffers for it.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

"honorary"

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

True, but I can wish.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Her ball got caught.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Cubone posted:

I don't think you really love any of that

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Realtalk, if you're going to put in the effort to make a long post, keep in mind that people are less likely to read it if it starts off condescending.

VerdantSquire posted:

What am I doing with my life.

Only you can answer that.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Johnny's still the best.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Brannock posted:

Number one.

... Wii sports.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I thought a lot of people brought it up when it happened.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

This implies that he is merely decent and I will not stand for this

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

where I'm from we call that kinda robe a t-shirt

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Hopefully from an equally fictional therapist.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Oh my god

A miniature mall

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Doctors Burger

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Countblanc posted:

i stand with omni

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I mean I recognize the daunting challenges of real-time pacing with a longform webcomic and I cannot say I would do better if put in the same situation as Zack, but it's fair to say that Paranatural, as charming as it is, has not managed to overcome them.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I genuinely forgot there were chapters for a bit and I still feel the pacing feels a bit off.

If writing cute and charming character scenes is Zack's way of working through writer's block then more power to him, but I'm not going to say that this charm doesn't come at the cost of pacing.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

This wouldn't even be an issue if people would just admit the pacing sucked and shrugged it off

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Disappointed, but not surprised

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Wait really

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Splicer posted:

I can't tell if you're joking

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'm dying right now

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Hmm yes, Paranatural IS blood

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Hell I think it's even from SA

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Welp, you called it.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Once bitten, twice shy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Let's not get riled up y'all.

Everyone needs to come to terms with the fact that this funny comic also happens to have the pacing of a snail with ADHD.

I feel like Zach's method of breaking through his writer's block isn't helping. He should probably stick to a more straightforward variant of Chandler's Law and try to introduce complications into the scene he's currently writing rather than changing the scene or introducing another character whenever he's in a rut.