Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Akett posted:

I'm not getting a sense of writer's block here, all of what's going on was set up well enough that I was able to call exactly who sent the note. Zach has a plan, he wanted everything to be this complex and silly, he's setting things up for the future. Right now the problem is we don't yet know why so many of these scenes are needed to set up the chapter's climax. I'm guessing that at the moment the point of nerd girl is that she's just gonna be earnest and at first Max is paranoid but relaxes, which will give him an epiphany about how to approach Issac.

Webcomic pacing is an odd beast because the real world time between updates exacerbates the perception of slowness. I'm willing to see how the chapter plays out before I pass judgement but I will admit that I'm kind of getting impatient for us to return to Issac and Mr. Garcia because I think that's gonna have larger consequences than Hijack. We've been hanging from this cliff since August and my grip's getting tired.

I was really speaking more in general, not necessarily about this character per se. I don't doubt that Zack has a plan and knows all of the pieces to put into place, and most of the pacing issues would fade away when read in bulk, but I do wonder if on the drawing board the plan could've withstood a couple passes of killing his darlings. That's one of the perils of being a new writer and learning on the fly, you've got all these great ideas and you want to fit them all in now, but giving in to that urge causes the story to grow and bloat. Sometimes watching a story sort of explode this way through organic improv could be fun but that's not a guarantee.

I'm mostly just here for characters being witty at each other with expressive faces so I'm not too put off by the pacing issues. But by now they're obvious enough that even a fairly well-foreshadowed development like this still feels disappointing to people who were wondering about one of the half dozen other little plot threads being juggled right now.

And as an aside, yeah, this topic is well-trod territory for this thread but what can you do?

Runa fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Feb 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I want to believe

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Honestly? It's just a comment, much like how "I love how Ed Burger has become King Bean of Fighting Legume Hill" is a comment. There's nothing wrong with posting about how much you enjoy a thing and there's also nothing wrong with posting a valid criticism.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

That's never stopped posting before

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Ed really has been climbing the character rankings I tells ya.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

RandallODim posted:

This page is the most I have ever liked Ed.

He truly deserves the title of The Burger Child

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I refuse to not take the gag seriously

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Guess we know why Spender's car has a man's name.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Went to go take another look at hitball and drat, that was two years ago.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

kurona_bright posted:

In what world is Spender good-looking

Mr. Garcia's

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

PMush Perfect posted:

He better be careful with his hearing, or he'll be a tinny small medium at large.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Haha Isaac you dingus

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

tbf it's hard to beat The Good Place when it comes time for an ethics lesson but bless zack for trying

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Impossible...!

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Tollymain posted:

hm

im sure theres a way this makes sense but i have no idea what it is

the un-inviting a vampire bit?

or Mr. President

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

lmao

Mr. Garcia's all flustered

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7pA4Z9Nndg&t=86s

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

That kid's got magic in his blood

Stage magic

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Tollymain posted:

i am agonist

Looking forward to baru 3

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Oh my god

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Lmaooo

I bet most of the people who called it were just joking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

You know what's not creepy?

Getting carpal tunnel.

Go out and gently caress up your wrists, everybody, it's the only decent thing to do out here.