Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radiochromatic
Feb 17, 2011
So hey I was back reading and suddenly this exchange makes so much more sense! Now it makes me wonder if that has anything to do with this as well. Man, really should have been paying more attention to the earlier chapter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radiochromatic
Feb 17, 2011

Splicer posted:

She can't do the spirit world thing, her spirit is in the book which she does not have.

Max could though.

I'm not so sure. It was established on this page that Isabel has a strong enough connection to her tool that she can manipulate it even at a distance. Not that it would do much good in this situation. She'd just perceive falling slower, but she wouldn't fall faster than her tool. She could just as easily create a net for them to fall into.

Radiochromatic
Feb 17, 2011

Roland Jones posted:

It's a poltergeist, actually, unless Zach's comment on that one strip was completely irrelevant to its contents. Also Spender referred to that one woman "taming" the train, which would presumably be unnecessary if it were a tool.

Also, he still, you know, derailed (so to speak) the train that could have had (and did have) other people in it.

Pretty sure Forge had no reason to suspect anybody beyond Spender would be on the train. He was told that the most powerful Spectral would be on it, and that implies that he would have no back-up. Why would he? And even if he did, if the most powerful Spectral is on that train, then why would children also be there? It's a matter of missing pieces. Forge has no reason to chase after the train as his intent is to get inside Mayview through the "Usual Method". He has no reason not to maim the thing for metal, when the single most powerful Spectral has shown aggression. Forge, from his perspective, fought Spender with the assumption that anything less than all-out would be suicide. He can't run, he has no weapon, and he's up against the strongest anything to have ever existed. In the long run of logical calculations, which is how he sees it, he's doing what he has to in order to survive and presumably do good. Maybe.

Of course Spender is under the assumption that Forge is likely a threat to Mayview, which he has been tasked with preventing. Forge very well may be a real threat, too. From Spender's perspective, Forge is the leader of the most evil creatures he's encountered, and he can't afford to let this go unchecked, especially when Agent Day is scheduled to enter Mayview for some unknown purpose. We know Spender doesn't like it, and that he wants her to leave as soon as possible. He also sees her as a threat, one which he had to assess the murderability of. He's under a lot of pressure to perform, and Forge is the major thorn in his side.

Of course the real question is who do the Pixel Dogs work for to want to pit Forge and Spender against one another? Or are the dogs doing it of their own accord? Do they see Forge as threat enough to trick Spender into killing him, or is it the other way around? Are they buying time for someone else to breach the barrier? It's all very well planned out, anyway. Whoever is up to this has to know the both of them well enough to be sure that they wouldn't find a way to strike up a truce.

Radiochromatic
Feb 17, 2011
So I'm kind of stumped on what Eightfold could even be planning. To my knowledge, tools can't do anything on their own. The spirit possessing the object lends it's power to the Spectral, and the Spectral determines the rest. Which leads me to believe that this whole backstory thing will be a convenient excuse for Eightfold to ditch Isabel. Not in the "I want to get away" sense but in the "You rely on me like a crutch, but you can be so much better, so I'm gonna leave you now and force you to become the Spec-Shot Master you were always destined to be~!" sense. To boost her confidence in herself, so that she can fight off infinitely respawning digital catdogs, and not uselessly throw herself off of a moving ghost train to rescue a book at the possible risk of her life.
I mean, what else could follow a story that begins with "It all started when I met the first opponent I couldn't defeat"?

Radiochromatic
Feb 17, 2011
After a while, alligator

Radiochromatic
Feb 17, 2011
Not exactly living up to Eightfold's expectations of you, huh Isabel? RIP in peace Max. Maybe next time you try cheering up a sad ghost kid you won't say "I wish I was dead" and invoke the wrath of the god of irony.

Radiochromatic
Feb 17, 2011

Your way works too posted:

If the spirit giving dream powers is cooperative like eightfold or tooled then they should be able to pass the dream powers to other people.

So actually it's just that spirit that is ridiculously critical.

Considering the way she looks, it's most likely that she's a Medium. More importantly, it's very likely that Spender doesn't have access to his tool's powers when he's not in his own dream room. We never see him use them, anyway. We never see anybody use any powers, outside of B.L. Well, there was that one stretchy limbs character, but who knows if that was spirit power or possession traits. Which raises the more important question of whether she's even asleep or not. She seems pretty omnipresent when it comes to existing in the dream space, and it wouldn't be a stretch to assume that she's there in actuality, and not just dreaming. In which case, one would have to ask, is a master of dreams who exists in dreams forced to age? She could be functionally immortal in that sense.

Radiochromatic
Feb 17, 2011
Judging by Lucifer's expression, I'd say that yes, it does hurt.

Suddenly the Wii Sports fixation makes sense.

Radiochromatic
Feb 17, 2011

Splicer posted:

Isaac is doing the wrong thing in the wrong way for the wrong reasons, but has every reason to think otherwise.

Sort of like how Rick fought with Forge, huh? I'm honestly starting to wonder if impulsiveness and a lack of controlling one's emotions are also side effects of being possessed. Not that we have a huge cast of Mediums to draw from, but even Boss Leader shows hints of it. Well, the impulsiveness more than anything, what with the whole Spender Spider thing. We know that spirits cause their Mediums to undergo physical changes, but who's to say there wouldn't be any mental changes? I wonder if that has something to do with Isaac's whole "It buzzes in my head for hours and days and weeks" line?
Mediums, man.

Radiochromatic
Feb 17, 2011
You stop that Hijack you're literally a floating brain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radiochromatic
Feb 17, 2011
I really hate to say it, but I think writing has taken a considerable dip since going to the script prose style it currently is. Too much of it is extremely tongue-in-cheek and on-the-nose to really support any intrigue. There's no questions anymore about what a character is thinking or feeling because the text literally just spells out, plain as day, and even straight up tells us when a character quietly takes it the wrong way. I understand that the current style is easier on Zack's wrist, and I'm not about to demand they put their health on the line to provide me with a free story, but I do kind of wish they had approached the current story telling with a bit more traditional prose in mind. Show me more; tell me less, y'know? I want to read about Max wanting to hit Davy with a bat, and then getting that pay-off chapters later when I realize the connection myself. Don't just tell me now, as soon as Max thinks it, that he will hit Davy with a bat at some point.
I want the story to narrate to me, not at me.

Unfortunately it's a very common problem for many webcomics that reach this stage of production.