Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The next page is just going to be an extreme anticlimax and it will all be over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Really, this is just the age old internet thing where somebody said they'd do something and didn't follow through, so the audience resents the fact that their expectations were not met. It's nowhere near the level of Aaron Diaz or that one guy who was doing a pay comic and literally did not put out the product which collectively he was paid over a thousand dollars to produce.

This is why most comics that are physically published have multiple people working on them, so they can get the work done within a tighter schedule.

Tenebrais posted:

Has a single webcomic gained success doing that? You need to keep up a good rate of content to maintain attention on the Internet. That's how Homestuck's skinner-box update rate got it so popular, and why pretty much all the popular awful webcomics update daily or close to it.

It really would depend on how you define "success," wouldn't it? Obviously you couldn't generate as much site traffic with that sort of model, but there's also selling shirts, the theoretical eventually making a book and publishing it, and these days, also patreon.

Errant Story did a neat thing where they had this thing that would notify readers when a chapter was finished, so they could go through it all at once, while also doing a regular page-a-day update schedule. Unsounded pulls the trick of often doing multiple updates at once with the tradeoff of missing updates after multi-page updats so it still averages out at the same rate, and it's doing fine.

Edit:

Kabanaw posted:

Hitball will end this update, and the chapter will probably end pretty quick once Hitball is over.

Called it.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I hope Max pretends to be fine and just has to wander through school flailing his dead arms.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Mods, please rename this the Paranchutual thread

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Max, allow me to explain everything directly into that inconspicuous flower on your chest.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Since when do schools have a receptionist at the entrance?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I thought that Spender was a medium for Lucifer, and the sunglasses had the dangerous spirit. All the other tools correspond to their color in one way or another.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I'm anti-jim rights. Put 'em all in camps.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Maybe he just thought it looked like rain that day.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I wonder how Max knows all this about Hijack? I poked around the archives, and I couldn't find any point where Hijack was making weird conversation with Max. I did find out that this isn't the first time that Max has known weird details about someone that he had no way of knowing.

Also for some reason the website is chugging for me, which makes reading the archives really hard, especially since Hitball goes on foreveeeeeer. At least Max still does some neat goofs in between the anime fight sequences. Also he's STILL wearing that stupid flower.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

http://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-5

So we have at least half the elements of the chapter cover accounted for. Hitball is finally over, and we're finally onto the mannequins and brains bit, and up to 5 insidious infiltrators between Hijack, the vice principal, Max, Forge, and Dimitri. The only things left is the other hand which is either confirmation that Dimitri was a spectral, some weird lighting on Johnny's hand, agent Day having orange spectral energy, or some unforseen fourth possibility.

No idea how this is all going to end up in a bar though.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

If that footprint is still hurting Spender, you'd think his association with Zarei would have taught him the importance of getting spiritual wounds looked after.

It's not like he even has anything to hide about what happened. He got injured by a spirit attack, and that happens practically every day. Unless that void opening up in his chest also left some damage, there's absolutely nothing to worry about.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

There's really been no clues. All I have to work from are vague suspicions and narrative elements that may conflict with each other.

-Mr. Garcia's got something weird going on with him, and getting possessed would greatly complicate the eventual reveal of whatever it is (unless the weird thing going on with him means that Hijack is one of his compatriots?? :tinfoil:).
-Starchman has this whole bit going on, and being possessed and revealed to be as frail and faulty as any mortal man may conflict with the bit by deepening him as a character.
-Spender's possessed by two far greater forces that should trivialize Hijack, and he's been exhibiting his spectral powers, so that probably rules him out.
-The principal seems like a great candidate, but the whole cold open sort of implies that there was accuracy to Isabel's accusation, like the cover of a silver age comic book that hints at a twist. It's gotta be somebody who was in the panel, or it feels like narrative cheating.

...which leaves...

-Ms. Baxter, but Isabel just shifted the reader's attention to her, which may conflict with the mystery, but maybe it's a double bluff and...!!!

Also, this comic is so stuffed to the gills that every drat time I poke through the archives of this comic, every drat time, I notice either something I didn't before or something I've forgotten. I'm back to wondering about the mysterious silhouette. It comes from a different direction from Dimitri, so it can't be him, maybe it could be PJ having followed Max throughout the day? But it slipped a thing into Max's pocket, and PJ doesn't have the gumption to affect the physical world.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Going from that panel, it's either Violet, a student council goon, an anime, or the orange bald twin.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Isaac isn't paying attention to Mr. Garcia, he's gonna gently caress up another mission.

Fecha posted:

It's some special ordered Soylent. Isaac is obviously all about that open source protein lifestyle.

It's purple, so it could be something supernatural. Soylent Ghost.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Back in my day my school used a whole system where you'd put money into your lunch account and you'd charge to it using your school ID card. A bunch of times I would run out and I'd end up going hungry for a few days, not because my family was poor or anything, but because I was very forgetful and put very little value on my own personal wellbeing.

Most schools have welfare systems in place where kids who can't afford to pay for lunch will get meals provided for them, but if you can pay, generally you have to pay (or rather, your parents have to).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I know that it's probably just to help her emote more understandably, but it's weird that Day is looking at things considering that she is blind.

Poison Mushroom posted:

Taking bets on how many people are going to insist that Zarei and Day are Just Gals Being Pals (in the unironic sense).

They just met eachother yesterday, and Day is already shipping Zarei with Spender, which would kind of preclude her pursuing things herself. Not every positive interaction is romantic.