Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

But Isaac also is kinda aligned with Doorman, looking to him for moral guidance and stuff. And we pretty much consider him one of the protagonists, don't we?

This story is shaping up to be one without sharply-defined groups, even. Factions overlap, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Yeah if Paranatural was on Patreon, I'd definitely be tossing a dollar or three its way every month, regardless of whether he has any bonuses or promises attached. It's quickly become one of my favorites.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Whitenoise Poster posted:

Max confirmed for Three Spirits.

Let's kill that bunny thing and another blackish spirit to make him Max Five Spirits and then he and Johnny can switch names.

Where is that from? Doesn't look like twitter or tumblr or anything (well, the part outside the question from tumblr), and a quick search of those doesn't bring this up.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Ah, thanks! Whitenoise Poster sees a different font than me apparently, and I guess it's unsurprising that tumblr's search is as bad as the rest of its infrastructure.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Basically any Paranatural character but Spender or Isaac would roll their eyes and shrug off one of Forge's monologues.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Dolash posted:

Francisco might be game for a little rhetorical sparring, but only after crushing Forge body and soul first.

Yeah, I feel like Francisco would shut Forge down with a devastating no-nonsense one-liner (then shrug off Forge's sputtering rebuttal). I need to stop now before I develop a headcanon.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Now we know that the distant flash of light on this page is from SPIRIT! FUSION!!

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

WELP, I guess someone guessed correctly about who was gonna save max.

I don't think it's possible to not be surprised by this page, though.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I just noticed the sparkles all around her speech bubble. Wow.

And apparently her tool is a... walking stick? Cane? ...which has taken on a lot of properties of its inhabitant, apparently some kind of rose spirit.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Oh god. Of course she's blind. "love is blind"

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Also, the last panel of this page lets you know the order things happened in: Isabel was already outside (trying to outrun the train) while Max was still screaming and Spender was doing SPIRIT! FUSION!!

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Yeah, Isaac isn't even allowed to know about the Consortium. Max clearly knows that Day is an agent of something, but he really obviously goes mum when he realizes not to elaborate in front of Isaac. Isaac is offended by this, because he was hoping that his new friend would help him learn everything that's been withheld.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

SlothfulCobra posted:

The anime that Isaac stars in is like 40 episodes in by now.
And that's only if the anime started with the day that Max showed up.

(Which was what, like only two days ago? Wow. Time has not flown by.)

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

horriblePencilist posted:

Ghost Train – Worst chapter or best chapter?
Well, it's almost as long as all the previous chapters combined, so at this point you're really just judging Paranatural itself. (It's the best)

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Dolash posted:

Ahhhhhh, okay, my mistake. I thought it had to be real metal and everything flowed from there. Still a little unclear about why the ghost-train warps material things out of its way if it can pass through them and what that'd mean for Johnny and the bullies if it passes near them though.

Well, it can pass through mundane material, but it can warp both mundane and supernatural things -- like the mayview barrier. Spirits can't just pass through other spirits (or spectrals even), but the ghost train can warp space itself to ignore anything of any nature.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Ollie's both the brawn and the brains, though. This bully group smashes clichés AND faces.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

You just inspired me to read the cast page, and I learned this: I really miss the various classmates!

They've been out on this train for way too long. This chapter has been almost as long as all the previous chapters put together. Hasn't Max only been in town for, like, two days so far?

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Idunno, I'm usually ready to accept that "pacing problems" are actually "reading update-by-update" problems, but Chapter 4 actually has as many pages as Chapter 1, Chapter 2, and Chapter 3 combined. That feels like this field trip ended up being more... "full of story", more detailed, than anticipated. Maybe I'm wrong.

EDIT: I've just got to reiterate how excellent this most recent page is, though. Lots of stories undersell the existential crisis people might go through when they suddenly run into some crazy supernatural poo poo all at once, but Paranatural know's what's up. Here's a band of amazing wacky joke characters, but the empathy's there on the page, right along with the humor. I especially love how RJ lies on the floor mumbling about Wonder Women and starts to tear up. I bet that's how plenty of people might break down in a situation like this (especially after a long night of wandering in the woods, I guess).

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Oct 31, 2014

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Supposedly the Consortium doesn't really respect spirits as sentient beings. We don't know how much Spender is like that, he could consider this as just "you lost your weapon".

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Remember that Spender and Zarei were arguing (in a friendly, "professional" manner) just as they were boarding the train. It totally makes sense that Zarei would follow up with a retributive prank.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Their squabble at the beginning of the mission seemed mostly related the the fact that Spender wouldn't tell her about Important Business just because Isaac was around.

What we learned on this page is that whatever secret disagreement Spender has with the Consortium leadership, Zarei (believes she) shares it. (Gramps seemed to somewhat-agree with Spender's rebellion, too. Whatever they're hiding, it's very much a cause that attracts Mayview-natives.)

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Zach Morrison posted:

Also, P.S., I'm sure you can put your heads together and come up with a couple seemingly obvious reasons why they're not actually trapped in Mayview, but I'd ask that you give me the benefit of the doubt that these aren't plot holes for the time being! Zarei knows what she's saying.

Hmm. It seems like Zach already has some ideas in mind for what readers might think for "but why can't they just--". I'm curious what those are, because I can't think of any. Spirits have other ways through, but it's been made very clear that the train is the only way Spectrals can get through the barrier (except for the Doorman, who is secret).

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Didn't Forge utter a single Cursed Word at one point, that referred to (the nonexistent) Chapter 0?

(My strategy for reading the cursed words is always "if it's more than 2-3 hours since the page went up, scroll down and skim the comments. Someone will have translated there.")

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Yep. While caught in an infinite-death-loop, they seem to have managed to hobble along to the meeting site, and call out grotesquely "die with us, brother". Fun!

Makes me wonder about their seemingly-overpowered regeneration ability. Maybe it requires one of them to be alive for the others to regenerate, like they're technically all a single spirit. Since those two are stuck, they might now have to die "for real" and slowly recover in the usual way, and they need all three to die at once for that to happen.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

New page.

Lucifer tellin' it like it is. All the different ways Spender hosed up tonight, laid out clearly in front of him. He doesn't seem to be taking it very well, though.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Leper Residue posted:

Is there alt text? I'm not getting any.

Alt text: "Ed not in wide shots before his appearance b/c he was slithering through the grass like a snake"

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I mean, she did "lose" something incredibly valuable -- whether you consider Eightfold as a friend and ally, or just the book as a tool. If she had just absentmindedly left it somewhere, that'd be pretty dang dumb and irresponsible. Gramps just isn't gonna bother to listen to find out the incredible circumstances under which it was lost.

Ed: lovable goofball, can't handle actual conflict or personal stuff. Unfortunate that he's all Isabel has for emotional support at the moment.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

That scene seems to have taken place years ago. I doubt Isabel simply hasn't gotten around to taking down all the dog pictures she had on her wall when she was seven. So probably a messed-up immersion therapy thing. Surround yourself with pictures of dogs looking cute and happy, to eliminate the scary association!

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Since their apartment is the upstairs of the convenience store, it makes sense that their washer/drier would be in the kitchen. They might not even have an oven.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Most people I knew as a middle-class kid in rural Washington state had their washing machine and drier in a tiny room by the back door called the "laundry room" which had just enough space for the machines, a shelf for folding clothes, and usually all the house's cleaning supplies crammed into its corners.

But I've also seen houses/apartments with the machines in the bathroom, or in the kitchen, or in the garage, or in the basement, or in a random nook or closet in a central location. (Pretty sure I saw at least one example of each of those while desperately room-hunting in Seattle last month.) Honestly all those things seem to make the same amount of sense, in different ways.

(Also I've lived where you have to go out to a laundromat. Wasn't nearly as bad as I expected, and I think I actually procrastinated laundry less when I had to set aside a dedicated time to do it.)

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jan 6, 2015

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

But in this particular case, they want the train to recover faster so they can ride it out of Mayview, so that's probably the primary reason they want a matching color.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

It's implied that Francisco basically invented the entire concept of fighting using your spectral energy (presumably before him, spectrals would entirely rely on powers they got from their tools). I'd say it's a safe bet that he's "the best fighter the consortium has ever had", with his only limiting factor these days being age.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

kurona_bright posted:

...Did Isabel take the right bottle? Upon closer inspection, it looks like she took a round bottle, while the one the doctor used earlier was squarish. Maybe I'm imagining things. :v:

Hah! The new page that came out only a couple hours after your post confirms exactly that. Also, middle school kids aren't great at first aid.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

When they first said "we're trapped!", Zach said something to the effect of "I know you can probably think of some loopholes, but actually Zarei knows what she's talking about. Wait and see."

I assume "using the train's power from the lantern tool" is one of those loopholes he was talking about, and there's some way that isn't viable.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I suspect that he was being honest with Forge when he said that he wasn't a super-powerful figher, but has a knack for cheap shots.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Huh. This doesn't seem like something a spectral could do just using spectral energy, which seems to act mostly like a kind of matter that they can exude, shape and throw around. So is it a power she has from a spirit? We were already thinking that her glasses were a tool that helped her to control the ghost train. Since those two powers don't seem in any way related, could she be our THIRD potential medium-who-also-has-a-tool?

Also, while I'm talking heavy paranatural jargon, does anyone remember whether both ghosts and spirits can poltergeist, or if only one of the two can?

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jan 26, 2015

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

There are at least four factions so far. (Spender. The Consortium. Doorman + Forge + their master. The dogs + the death cult + maybe the doublespeak spirit posessing Max?) And we don't really know what any of them are up to. For all we know Issac defecting could put him in a less evil faction.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Jan 30, 2015

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Yeah for now they're not really one of the factions among the characters we've met so far, which is by itself already a surprisingly high number, which is what I was getting at.

But I bet they'll become relevant later. It's a chekhov's gun sort of thing.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Hah, well, that's pretty much the same reason I'm assuming that the doublespeaking-spirit-inside-of-Max is on the same side as the death cult guys, so, fair enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I was under the impression that when a dying spirit jumps into a random non-spectral person, it takes an inconvenient amount of time for that person to turn into a spectral and start providing spectral energy. Unless something unsual happens, Johnny's not a spectral yet.