Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Countblanc posted:

So considering these two comics, we can safely assume Spender's power is light manipulation, right? It makes sense for a Sunglasses tool, too.

http://paranatural.net/chapter-3-page-50/
http://paranatural.net/chapter-4-page-26/

Sounds likely, though those could also just be generic spectral energy like Isabel is using in the second link.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

SlothfulCobra posted:

Isabella quickly bet four stars, meaning either she's a high roller or that Mr. Garcia is really cheap.

Four stars is probably a large amount. It's a safe bet, since everyone in that scene had clearly already figured it out (with passing possibility that it might have been a sister or close friend or something). Ed still took the bet, but then, Ed follows Isabel around like a puppy. Has it been said what their relationship actually is?

Tenebrais fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Nov 4, 2013

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Couldn't PJ move the bat back in chapter 2 or so? Being possessed makes tools tangible to spirits, so they can be weapons against them (and not, say, random bits of metal Max might want to magnetise).

Edit: He could. http://paranatural.net/chapter-2-page-5/

Tenebrais fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Nov 18, 2013

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Fecha posted:

Well yeah but we don't know exactly why he moved them there, although it might have just been related to losing his wife.

It could also be that he's an irresponsible manchild who did it because he felt like it.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

A little elucidation as to the relationship between Ed and Isabel there. They don't appear to be related, at least in any sense that Gramps feels responsible for him. Now the question becomes why he's living with them...

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Blackheart posted:

But what about the blank piece of paper. WHAT ABOUT IT!?

He needed help writing lyrics that teenagers would like so he asked the coolest person he knew.

But he wasn't available so he asked Spender.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Captain Oblivious posted:

For all Grandpa's harsh words, I definitely get the impression this is a tough love kinda thing much like he treats Isabel to. If he really meant the "better enemy" thing, or if he genuinely believed Spender was doing the wrong thing, he would have acted a long time ago. He probably respects what Spender is trying to do, but knows how close he is straying to a line.

He seems the kind of person that tries to make a lesson out of everything. Criticising every flaw and weakness in the hopes of seeing them improve. No wonder he drives Isabel up the wall.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

rotinaj posted:

I might be reading too much of the Gentleman Bastards series(In which a group of thieves and con men work together flawlessly to bilk everyone out of everything) recently, but did Isabel drop back to let Max ask a question of Spender without her being right next to him? The "oh look my shoe came untied what is this treachery" line seems like a convenient excuse.

Ooooor maybe it's just Isabel being Isabel about her shoe coming undone. Scrub needs to learn a better shoelace knot.

I think she was trying to slow down their sweep so that they would have to resort to drastic (fun) measures. She looked surprised when Max asked his question.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Nick_326 posted:

All of them are students so... did a bunch of kids die horrible deaths at the school? :stonk:

They could be spirits taking the form of students to fit in. Or Max's mind is filling in the gaps of vaguely humanoid figures in the school halls. We still don't know how most of this stuff works.

Or, yeah, maybe some horrible tragedy.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Cat Mattress posted:

Earlier, he was punning while wielding his bat and didn't seem to be aware that he was speaking (surprised reaction at Isaac's reply).

I think he was just surprised that Isaac thought he was making a point. Max has consistently been kind of a smartass.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

MikeJF posted:

That said, if it's possible to use a tool as a blunt object to hit people with without using its powers, that's cool.

PJ could move Max's black-energy bat despite being purple himself, so presumably it is. Though the whole point of the question was Max wanting to give PJ cool powers too.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Looks like we finally got an answer about RJ's gender. And I guess Forge isn't going to just be a monster-of-the-week if he's on the cast page.

And yeah, Forge is totally a huge parallel to Spender.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I figure they just like being evil and will follow whatever kickass evil plan anyone comes up with, just for the fun of it.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I guess Forge is evil enough to have picked up some cursed words.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Is that his actual name? I always liked Moctezeusma for that dude.

The cast page just lists him as Isaac's Spirit.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

kidcoelacanth posted:

It's updated with several panels at once weekly (not now because it's on break). It was twice weekly for a few months recently, too.

The pacing has improved significantly since it switched to twice a week.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

A Darker Porpoise posted:

Or maybe eightfold goes spirit form and climbs back into the train or something either way I'm gonna be sad to see cat?dog? go hah.

I don't think Eightfold can incarnate yet, she'd done so earlier in the day and she apparently takes a few days to recover.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Len posted:

He has to cater to the internet why?

How dare an artist try to create art that people want to see.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Brought To You By posted:

Unless I'm missing something, Eightfold is just falling out of a fast moving poltergeist train. Is that really enough to destroy the tool it's bound too? At worse Isabel is going to be separated from Eightfold for a long time if not indefinitely, but I think Eightfold will at least survive the fall and is just giving some last minute coaching to help Isabel out.

The problem is the train is underground. If Eightfold's book falls out, they'd have a hell of a time finding it again. Anyone would have a hell of a time finding it. She'll essentially be trapped forever, unless wounded spirits can leave their tools before returning to health.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I like that Max's bag-full-of-metal plan totally backfired. Missed that on my first reading.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

The last page and this page, Max has had a black aura around him that's been going to the right. The train is going to the right, so it's not a matter of wind blowing it and I suspect that's important. Edit: Actually I double-checked and I was wrong, it looks like the train's moving to the left so it's not as notable. Still, it's something.

The black aura is Max's spectral energy as he powers his tool. Notice it disappeared when his tool stopped working.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

mr. stefan posted:

Is there anything at all in the comic that says Max cannot be possessed like Isaac and use a tool at the same time? It's entirely possible that there's another spirit hitching a ride in his body that had just been smart enough to keep on the down low.

Also I'm pretty sure that a spirit trapped in a tool is incapable of hijacking a body.

It's actually been shown that a spectral can be both possessed and own a tool! In particular, Mr Spender.

The one talking to Max is totally scrap snake, though.It's the same sunset-of-civilisation backdrop as the last time.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I'm not sure at what point Max could be possessed. He managed to get through the barrier to get into Mayview in the first place, and only after that did he start seeing shadows of spirits.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

What I just noticed on that page is RJ's face isn't just covered in shadow, they actually seem to have some black cloth wrapped around it.

Or maybe I'm just misreading their eyes as creases. Screwy lighting if so, though.

eta: Was Lucifer always on the cast page?

Tenebrais fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jun 6, 2014

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Renaissance Robot posted:

Was it ever explicitly mentioned in the comic that the shades are Spender's tool, or was I just supposed to guess this from the fact that he's never without them (or by reading the cast page :v:)?

It's heavily implied, but never stated, that Spender's sunglasses are a tool containing Lucifer and he is himself possessed by an evil shadow spirit, and that he never removes his sunglasses so that Lucifer can keep the shadow spirit from getting out.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Meowjesty posted:

BL a child is unconscious on train tracks in the woods.

This is not the appropriate reaction.

To be fair I don't think she knows Max's circumstances in the real world. I'm not sure she even knows who he is.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Boss Leader is the best. I hope she and Max get to keep interacting. It'd be amazing once he got used to having a strange woman in his dreams.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

The spirit that spoke to Doorman could have been some wandering spirit that happened to be a match for Max. It is exactly as plausible as Max having picked up a hitchiker somewhere else.

Alternatively, Scrapdragon could have more depth than Boss Leader judges.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Kabanaw posted:

It would be way better if boss leader just happened upon some kid that passed out in the woods, liked his moxie, and decided to let him join her club. That is the best recruitment program. Also it seems like that's the case unless she was feigning surprise about Max knowing Spender. Think about how mad he'll be

I'm pretty sure that is exactly the case. And/or she just likes messing with Spender. And/or spying on Spender. If this was premeditated she'd probably have known his name.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Friday Update!

Alt text: Infinite Death Loop is the name of my trance/screamcore hybrid experimental band

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Here's a link to the page being discussed if this thread is your main link to the comic.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

idonotlikepeas posted:

Pretty sure it's not a coincidence that that Isabel, a red spectral, just lost her spirit, and we now most likely have a defeated red spirit floating around.

Forge is grey.

If he's deincarnating, he'll have to bind with someone who isn't a spectral, I guess. Maybe someone else that likes smackin' nerds.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Isabel gets no luck with affection, does she?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Max also got recently introduced to Boss Leader, who seems much more his type of boss leader. She might restore his confidence in the group a little.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I just got the first panel joke.

Holy poo poo :lol: Ed is the best.

Isabel responds appropriately, of course.

Zarei caused so much trouble there for responding to a minor slight.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

The Lord of Hats posted:

Did we know before now that the shield was the Consortium's doing?

No, this is new information.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Paramemetic posted:

Welp Isabel learned nothing and Eightfold was right! "I lost my book" yeah keep on pretending spirits aren't sentient beings and are just tools to be used Isabel! That attitude will get you far!

Also this is a drat good webcomic I've just gotta say.

I suspect that's a coping mechanism to help deal with losing her friend.

I hope Eightfold returns in some capacity.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Oh, there's something in my eye.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Patrick Spens posted:

As a Canadian, literally no one I know has a washing machine in the kitchen. They are basically always in the basement or in their own area. Where are you from?

In the UK, the washing machine is a kitchen appliance. I mean, not actually used in cooking, just belongs in the kitchen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Doctor Zarei is the best character in this comic that is a doctor.