Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
This is the only kind of ghoul that I will accept as canon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
looking for "waking tree vampire" I found stuff about real-world walking trees, which are quite cool.

quote:

“As the soil erodes, the tree grows new, long roots that find new and more solid ground, sometimes up to 20m,” said Vrsansky. “Then, slowly, as the roots settle in the new soil and the tree bends patiently toward the new roots, the old roots slowly lift into the air. The whole process for the tree to relocate to a new place with better sunlight and more solid ground can take a couple of years.”

Also things about purported real-world man-eating trees, there's a lot of them, but none that have a documented actual existence.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

T-man posted:

How long has it been since we saw Max's dad and sister? 10 years? 20?

I think it was there and a little bit of the next page. Last appearance of the dad was there. Then there's a lot of nonsense at school for the rest of chapter 5, and chapter 6 focuses on Steve so we don't see any of Max's family.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Cup Runneth Over posted:

obviously she can't just walk away with that knowledge

With that bright sunlight she can.

She just needs to get out from under the shadow of the bridge.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Eightfold lives! Allegedly a life worse than death, what with being trapped in solid rock underground at no clear location.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
The fooligans being pasty was a clue all along.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Why, so they can die in fear?

Or go find shelter in some variation of Mayview's shield.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
http://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-6-page-41
I guess the cute little angel-kitty is going to be an actual threat, because the Sphinx of Games has been thoroughly established as a non-threat.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Dias posted:

Paranatural: That was years of days ago, dude.

First time I found an execution of the "it was just days ago in the comic, but it took years in real-time, isn't that right, dear readers? wink wink" gag that's actually funny.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Roland Jones posted:

I'm curious what the other sphinxes are like

Game, Truth, I suppose the next one is Dare.

Also there's Death and Taxes, this is certain.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

SKULL.GIF posted:

To be explicit about what I suspect, I think Suzy is Penny's daughter
Suzy is presumably 13 like the rest of her class, Rich Spender is 26, I dunno how old Penny Spender is supposed to be but she really doesn't look older than her brother.

Now it's not impossible for a girl to become a mom far too soon, but it still seems unlikely. If Suzy is actually a Spender, I'd rather bet on siblings. There's a 12 year spread between the oldest and the youngest of my siblings, so I wouldn't find it strange if Penny was the middle child, something like Rick 26, Penny 20, Suzy 13? Plausible to me.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Ed is a quirky but lovable alien companion doing his best to fit into human society.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Mindblast posted:

I hope zach figures out a way to not ruin their hands. How do other artists get away with producing a lot of art without ruining their wrists? Is there a technique for it or is it also a matter of genes or some such.

There are techniques that strain your wrists more than other. You'll generally want to avoid anything where you need to apply much pressure. You need to have your wrist and your fingers as relaxed as possible, don't crush your pen/pencil/brush/crayon/stylus in a death grip. Be as loose as possible, just tight enough to hold the pen and not one iota more. Some artists make a custom grip with sculpey or something like that to get a pen grip shaped for their hand instead of something just generic and round, this can be worth investigating. There's also the whole "draw with your arm, not your wrist" advice, i.e. try to move your hand from the elbow instead of from the wrist, so that your wrist works less. You can even train for that by using something like a wrist brace to force you not to move your wrist.

Alternatively, just make a bunch of templates and copy-paste them forever.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
http://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-6-page-47

Nothing much to say about this page, the chapter is winding down and gorilla talk radio isn't over yet.

Hover-text:
is our DALLIANCE with the truth more than a mere FLING, or will we return the truth's MIXTAPE and THAT ONE BIG SWEATER THE TRUTH HAD YOU'VE BORROWED SINCE CHUPACON '99

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I'm a vampiric and lycanthropic bigfoot, so I can confirm.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Leaving the crossbow loaded and tensioned seems like a bad idea. Kind of the equivalent of leaving a gun loaded and with the safety off.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Renaissance Robot posted:

is there a third way to pronounce it that I don't know of other than gene or zhawn

/ʒɑ̃/

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Tenebrais posted:

It's possible, but Gwen was speaking specifically in terms of a prison, which this doesn't really describe. Especially since Boss Leader was asking what they learned there.

...hang on, the Burgers disappeared 13 years ago but Ed is only 12. Where did he come from?

It's either timey wimey shenanigans, or Ed was born in the spirit world.

Or an plot hole, that's possible too.

But seriously, what's been established here is that this flashback was 10 years before the plot, and that it has been 3 years since Mom-Burger last saw Ricky. But as it been established how much time passed between the last meeting between these two and the Burgers' disappearance? If it's at least one year, plot hole averted.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Cup Runneth Over posted:

alright, get someone to work for free like Sleepless Domain presumably does
It's all drawn by Cagle (except for the first couple intro chapters). No illustrator working for free here.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Clayview is her Polandball OC.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
arm yourself with terminology, child -- or how to precisely answer a question without answering it because I doubt she was taught what a wight is.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
While it has come to meant undead in pop culture since Tolkien, originally the word simply meant basically "person, being, thing". Which makes the whole exchange funny: "what is that thing?" "it is a thing, so now you know"

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Brought To You By posted:

Boss Leader needs to ditch the onesie.

when u respawn deleveled and can't equip your rare drop lvl 99 trenchcoat suitsie anymore

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Yeah it's just a big cockatoo IMO. It definitely has a birdlike beak.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

"Pain that burns white hot. Cavernous lack. A want made need by endless tides of yearning."

e: that's my best snipe yet.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
With the crescent moon motif and the "Sandman" name, this spirit's powers are clearly sleep-related. Maybe Boss Leader is in a Sleeping Beauty situation, literally incapable of waking up.

It's also possible that the whole persistent dreamworld used as Paranatural Activity Consortium HQ is created so as to drain Sandman's powers maintaining it as fast as the spirit regains its power, so that things stay stable and it can't just get the last bits of energy needed to break free from Boss Leader and wreck all kinds of somnolent havoc.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Next page: "Out there!" because Spender has always been a dork.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

RareAcumen posted:

Eugh, Spender's one of those people that keeps his glasses on his bed.

and he's one of those people that keep books open upside-down instead of using a bookmark. Shameful, just unforgivably shameful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Rand Brittain posted:

For that matter, who has legal custody? The guy who's been dead for years.

Probably the same person who has legal ownership of the house where the dojo is built.

One possibility that shouldn't be discounted is that even if he's a ghost, Grandpa may not be legally dead. After all he can still sign papers and send letters (someone who gave a spirit book to Isabel and a spirit brush to Ed probably has a lot of other stationery tools).