Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Noooo Eightfold! Poor thing.

Is she hinting that she was once Isabel's Grandpa's spirit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

One of which is a Mr. Starchman doll, it looks like. :allears:

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
I'm wondering if he went to Mayview specifically so he could get spectral'd up to talk to his dead wife.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

MikeJF posted:

It's apparently critical that they eject all spirits from the Ghost Train. Are they that rare outside of Mayview?

I'd guess not or the organisation Spender is a part of would have no business being so big. Like, if it was a strictly Mayview phenomena, then all those agents would have to be in and around Mayview and we know they're not.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Fried Chicken posted:

Can't check now but did Thunder get an entry?

Is that his actual name? I always liked Moctezeusma for that dude.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Shindragon posted:

Hahah jesus Forge burned the hell out Spender.

He is not only the spirit in command of fire, but also sick burns.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Every time someone says "the greater good" this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUpbOliTHJY) happens in my head. Every time. It's really ruining the seriousness.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
If Eightfold leaves or is killed I will be very sad. Eightfold is adorable and we need more Eightfold.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

MikeJF posted:

And a thumbs up from the mysterious hinted-at black Activity Club member!

Yes, oh so mysterious. Absolutely not Dmitri in any way at all.

(it is actually Garcia)

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Roland Jones posted:

When talking to Grandpa Spender mentions that she's "physically disabled". I think we may have gotten one or two more hints/glimpses as well but I can't recall off the top of my head.

In Paranatural that could mean anything up to "is actually a ghost", though. Doesn't get more physically disabled than being unable to interact with the physical world.

An amputee with a spectral limb would be weird and intriguing, though.

Also, please be okay today, Eightfold. :ohdear:

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Fried Chicken posted:

Not only are we going for Burger King Kid's Club style inclusionism, but we get dental hygiene PSAs!

The Aquafresh-sponsored "Importance of Flossing" arc will be spectacular.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Eightfold no! Stop this right now you silly paper spider, you're gonna... you're gonna be okay... :ohdear:

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Boss Leader is the best character in a comic full of best characters. :allears:

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

SlothfulCobra posted:

I kind of assumed that Boss Leader was just in a coma, so she can spend all day skulking through dreamscapes.

I had this assumption too, I really don't know why.

Although come to think of it, maybe she held onto her possession of the dream spirit too long and is now permanently asleep. If the AC need her dreambase as a, well, a dreambase, it'd be pretty dark if she's forcing herself into a coma to keep the AC with a roof over their heads. Metaphysically speaking.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
I won't lie, I was quite hoping we'd get to see the Spender Life-Ender.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Embarrassingly I thought her cane was a TV antenna at first. Or a car aerial.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Fried Chicken posted:

Unless the balls have spectral energy they can't use their powers to manipulate them

The Chapter's title page does feature a dodgeball with grey spectral energy.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
So Jeff just got a red ball and the ball on the chapter title page with the grey (spectral?) smoke is red, I'm going to guess some sort of epic Johnny save or something is incoming.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
The pro move for Hijack would be to ditch Spender right when Isaac throws the lightning, so Spender wakes up to a lightning bolt and Hijack can get away in the confusion.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
With the almost-confirmation of Ghost Grandpa, I have to wonder if the secret to his ghostly longevity is consuming spirits, in a reversal of the manner that spirits apparently consume ghosts to heal from being tools. Is that why he has first refusal on any red ones? Since, as this page mentions, Gorf won't consume PJ due to colour misalignment.

It also explains his disgust at Isabel's palling around with them, to him it would be like naming and befriending a lamb destined for slaughter. And also what his eventual "plan" for the book she lost was.

Also yes Lefty's cuff looks plenty fancy and piratical to me. If PJ is a Jones, maybe Davy cut off his hand to give him a guardian and keep him around? That's pretty hardcore of him. Hell, with Davy being a local business owner and Max living in a shop, Max's dad could've outright bought his house from Davy.

MarquiseMindfang fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Aug 20, 2018

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
This is probably absolute horseshit wild guessing but with the talk of a Broken God much earlier in the comic, how probable is it that the "broken god" is a Wight that somehow got split up into its constituent colours and is now sealed in like eight separate places and people (seven rainbow, plus black)?

One of them possibly being Spender since he's so ultra paranoid about not touching yellow tools.

The Wight that Doctor Burger is currently (inhabited by? consumed by?) is probably a different one, sealed at the bottom of the lake, where nothing with spectral energy can/will go. Except Rick Spender.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
I feel compelled to point out that BL makes a point of saying "By our hands, impossible to kill."

Not just "impossible to kill".

It's possible that Sandman was either killed by something else and she took it, it was sealed in her at full power (ouch!), or was a Grudge that evolved within her.

For that matter we have no idea where BL's physical body is. She might have to be kept far away from anything to stop it regenerating.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Yeah since just about the first time we've seen BL I've had strong "is probably in a coma somewhere" vibes. When max asks why she Boss Leads the ghost cops instead of living in fantasy she says she likes real people too much, implying this is her only way of having contact with real people.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Interesting.

The one that attacked earlier said "look at me" and Dr Burger said it was "lonely". Aside from giving extremely Simone-from-Nier-Automata vibes, that makes it seem that Max might've made exactly the right call with saving Scrapdragon from BL to prevent its Grudge state worsening.

Ghost Train's a Grudge now as well iirc.

Also with the feminine one from before saying "look at me", and being implied by Spender's PTSD-flashback to be in a lake, I'm calling it now: It's some kind of Siren, and it's why spirits are attracted to Mayview.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Rand Brittain posted:

The spectrum stuff probably has something to do with how the angel and the thing inside Max were split apart from an original wight.

I'm not sure the angel is part of the broken god -- Doorman specifically says she doesn't fear it.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Pants Donkey posted:

Zack has said that the black/white color dealy with be explained Soon. Namely, why Ángel can switch and why the Angel has white (without being a wight, maybe).

They also confirmed that Cherub’s color is pale yellow, so presumably someone in this crew can change energy colors or having white energy lets you connect with all colors. Although black is technically the absence of color in contrast with white being all colors, if I’m not mistaken, and given this is Zack that might be relevant.

I've been thinking that if you shattered a Wight, it would probably break into spirits of each constituent colour. This might be what happened with the Sphinxes, and if so, there are probably a fair few more sphinxes out there. It's entirely possible that you could synthesise white spectral energy by simply mixing all colours together, which might be why Angel has so much haunted junk, so he can draw on all of the colours and bring them together.

And yeah, if white acts as all colours, white spirits are universal receivers, as we know, but white spectrals like Penny are universal donors, which is probably one reason why she has to keep it secret.

Forge's spirit colour is also grey, and I have no idea how that factors into colour theory things.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Kyte posted:

it could just be 3 if it follows the RGB model

Sphinxes are Red/Blue/Yellow and presumably Black that we know of, so it either follows the colours of paint, not light, or something else.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Running with Angel's theme, it could be that black spectral energy is malleable, and with enough training can be shifted to other colours with concentration? It's nothing, a void, none of the colours, but that means it could become any of the colours. It's pure potential. Cherub's spectral energy isn't black, but he manages Spirit Fusion with her; clearly part of his training is a way way way more advanced form of what Mina was trying to do with adapting to the train. His sermons to Penny about adaptability and mimicry and true mastery through discipline would fit.

Perhaps coloured spectral energy can only be shifted along the spectrum, green into teal as an example, and the further you get from "base" the harder it is, but black is functionally equidistant from all of them, and can become any of them. Or with enough focus, all of them, as I suspect Angel is doing.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Agreed that Cherub's vibes are completely rancid.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Kyte posted:

its power is pretty altruist though, and I don't think we've seen a spirit with a power that doesn't match its nature?

Its power as Angel understands it, and therefore so far as it has revealed to him. :tinfoil:

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
It's also the way the text constantly makes reference to how pure and good and incorruptible Cherub is that weirds me out.

I wonder if the actual power of Cherub is inspiring fanatical loyalty in whoever it wants?

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
I assume that if Cherub is a Sphinx, then its power is to make you believe whatever it says, yeah.

Given that they're cats I'd almost expect there to be 9 of them. Nine lives and all...

Sphinx of Cool Shades might have something to do with ambiguity, because he seems to pick up on double meanings and puns? And he's not as stupid as he pretends to be, clearly.

Also, cute that Angel makes an I/O with his hands to activate Polar Shift.

MarquiseMindfang fucked around with this message at 01:01 on May 6, 2023

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
I get the sense that everyone sort of likes Starchman and this isn't nearly as big of a deal as Suzy thinks it would be.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Brought To You By posted:

Unfortunately she doesn't appreciate that her dad uses a pool noodle to exact violence against his students and rollerskates like he's an Xtreme sports athlete. Her loss. I for one welcome all the cringe she feels this update.

i wish mr starchman was my dad

Tenebrais posted:

Suzy is also 12 and getting horrifically embarrassed to learn her crush knows who she is.

Is that explicitly a thing? The crush, I mean. I almost think that's less funny than inexplicable burning enmity over basically nothing, personally.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Fair enough, I was just wondering if it was something stated outright on twitter or some other place I didn't know about, honestly.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Oh god. I just realised.

The entirely-blue Scrapdragon shows curiosity. When he bonks it, the red side comes out. The page before the latest page describes Scrapdragon splitting into two. He's... literally bipolar? And his true form is possibly two-headed or has a head at either end?

Anyway I'm guessing Contracts is going to forge a covenant between the two, in the interests of not having its host devoured.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

SKULL.GIF posted:

Probably related:

You know despite this being the popular depiction of a magnet in media, I don't think I have ever actually held or even beheld a magnet that is colour coded like this in real life.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
It's Ollie's dad's sister

Otherwise known as Auntie Oop

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

The_Final_Stand posted:

Gotta say, the "Death cultists who actually want to kill Death" angle is not one I expected, but I am absolutely here for it.

I now wish to join the death cult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Both of these guys are not nearly as meatheaded as they pretend to be, and that makes me smile.

Also this whole sequence has made me take Spectral Fist a lot more seriously. It seemed like party tricks before ("three dolphins", really?) but now it seems legitimately very strong.