Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Renaissance Robot posted:

Isn't that concept only supposed to refer to possible interpretations of subtext or thematic meaning in the story, rather than solid universe facts like "X is gay"?

I'm mostly asking because English lit was over a decade ago for me and I wasn't that good at it even then.

Death of the author means you ignore the author's stated intent and their background/etc and only go by what is in the text. So you would discount any author comments but any arguments based on the text itself would be valid. Stuff like all the allegories people see in Tolkien's work despite his claims that he did not intend for those allegories to exist in it. C.S. Lewis was all about the allegories tho.

The argument is pretty silly though, but I suppose if it's what makes them happy then so be it. They shouldn't be doing it in the comments section and scarring off potential readers though, so Zack made a good call to nix the comments section. Webcomics are far better off without them these days.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Jul 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Who What Now posted:

Old Man Guerra trusts his granddaughter with Spender, and despite saying otherwise obviously has some level of respect for him, so Spender isn't a complete failure and train wreck. But yeah, I'll agree that his self-imposed vows of secrecy and isolation from his peers is a major flaw that has and will continue to get him into major trouble.

Yeah, Guerra telling that he respects his skill to his face is telling. That might even be his way of saying, have some drat confidence as that's probably what Spender lacks the most. At least it seems that way given that he seems fixated on approval from both his spirit and Guerra.

It probably doesn't help that Lucy is probably always knocking him down a peg. Maybe, Spender is probably a product of the current teaching/consortium training system, dealing with all those overwhelming personalities. Clearly it's Max's future if he ever succumbs to the anime. :allears:

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Prawn Salad posted:

Spender isn't a bad person, he's just kind of a lovely one.

Yeah, nothing about him really reads as villain. If anything he's trying to be the cool anti-hero but is failing at it. I think he's pretty sympathetic, especially since his mentors treat him terribly most of the time apparently.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Kikas posted:

http://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-4-page-128
"Foul deeds, alas, have burned it black and now my flame burns cold"

One thing Johnny has, it's heart. He is a perfect fit for Forge, so it's possible Johnny is getting a powerup from him.

Johnny helping Forge to relearn the power of friendship is going to be the best thing.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Stating an opinion is its own reward.

Lol if you get upset about someone complaining about webcomics.

It's just not very interesting to hear the same complaint stated over and over again. We get it, the pacing isn't great. It's absolutely a valid criticism but given how things have been going it's not likely the pacing is going to improve. So it comes to a point of whether or not that's a deal breaker for you but I'm not sure there's much value in just constantly beating a dead horse.

I mean obviously people can discuss what they like, but I think it's also reasonable to be tired of a point that gets brought up almost every single time the comic updates.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Mar 11, 2017

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

PMush Perfect posted:

Still, I appreciate the concept of experimenting with his panel composition. He's working on growing as an artist, and that's laudable, even if there's some bumps along the way.

Yeah, artists learn through experimentation. It does mean that you'll make more mistakes when trying new things out but there really isn't another way to go about it.

As an aside, this is a significant problem for many professional artists because when you are faced with constant deadlines and have to produce a large quantity of work to make a living, you no longer have time to experiment anymore. As a result their work stagnates a bit.

So now is a great time for him to experiment different things and find out what works when less is on the line comparatively.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Lastgirl posted:

he'll probably never recolor chapter 1 at this rate~

That would probably be a trap. A lot of artists hate their older work or older chapters in longer works but deciding to re-color or even re-do entire chapters usually leads to burning out on the project. It's just too time intensive for little gain most of the time.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Renaissance Robot posted:

Hijack was actually the principal's brain all along!

You know, her head does resemble hijack a little bit. :tinfoil:

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

PetraCore posted:

Also Davy may or may not have had Cody before he was turned/killed because weird mannerisms doesn't really imply age with this cast of characters.

Cody is absolutely half vampire pirate. The logistics don't matter. It's just if there was an option to make Cody Jones a half vampire pirate, do you really think Zach could let that pass?

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013
https://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-7-page-86

Well that's something. I guess that explains why Isaac is being kept away from consortium business.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Tenebrais posted:

Boss Leader might be a spirit that has managed to wrangle the wight's power and pass herself off as a medium that way.

The consortium already employs spirits like Isabel's grandfather and that stuff seems fairly out in the open as far as the organization goes. I'm not sure why she would need to hide that she's a spirit from the consortium at large if that's all it was.

It's possible she might be some supernatural creature that's not a spirit. If werewolves and vampires are on the table already, she could really be anything. Well anything that doesn't naturally have a human face I suppose.

Maybe a lich adjacent thing?

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

SKULL.GIF posted:

Now this is interesting. Was Doorman at one time Francisco's spirit? Is that why he's obnoxiously against relying on spirits/tools now? Is Francisco the one who shattered the sphinx, or was he just there to watch it happen?

Doorman has a different outfit in that flashback panel, but I don't think that's terribly unusual for spirits to manifest themselves in different ways. Francisco has a few battle wounds there, plus an apparently significant one on his left ribcage. Looks like he survived that though and lived for at least 2-3 more decades before dying and turning into a spirit himself.

Yeah seems like it. Looks like Francisco took to Doorman's teachings on justice a little too well.

Also I wonder if Francisco learning about the prophecy is going to turn him against Spender in some way. Since he might take it as a sign that Spender is inevitably going to drop the ball with the wight. So that might prompt Francisco to want to intervene or take control of Spender's affairs.

It would be one way to accelerate things a bit.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Malpais Legate posted:

Is this the first time we've seen Doorman's color?

I went back to look and we do see red energy coming out of the keyhole in his face when he's using his power. So that's been there since his first appearance. But it was definitely much more subtle than it has been in the past two pages.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013
It seems possible yeah, Forge was able to pass the barrier into Mayview by going with Johnny somehow. So the Sphinx might have done something similiar with Max. Did Max's mother leave Mayview to take the sphinx away from the city? Or was it just her spirit/ally or some sort of tag along? Though it does seem to put her words about promises into new perspective for sure.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Sphinxes are Red/Blue/Yellow and presumably Black that we know of, so it either follows the colours of paint, not light, or something else.

There was a thing about Mina's color being some sort of green. And the train was also green but a different enough sort of green to count as a separate color. So while she could use the lantern, it took her a lot of effort.

So presumably there's a lot of colors available beyond what we've seen. With white and black seemingly to be the special ones.

If additive/subtractive models of color actually matters to the plot somehow, It's still likely based on light (additive color) though and not paint. Because white in paint is an absence of pigment, but white in light is the presence of every color. So for Penny to be a universal donor, it makes sense for it to be "light" based since her white energy would provide any needed color for a spirit. That's assuming that distinction matters at all anyways.

Though how black plays into this is less certain. Though with Angel it seems there could be something special about it despite boss leader claiming earlier that it was a pretty common and ordinary color. But again that might just be a special talent of his because he is an exceptional spectral. So either case could be true.

SKULL.GIF posted:

... I think I made a connection.

Was Forge June's spirit? The metalworking connects up, the fire/smoke connects up, the gray color connects up.

Seems possible. Though I think if Forge was involved with her death, there's probably going to be a more important reason than Forge was trying to escape or something. And also considering the side he's allied with now, he presumably cares about the town to some extent. So he was more likely an ally of hers than an enemy she was trying to hold back if he was her spirit. Though it does make it more likely that he knows the circumstances of her death at least. And he still might have been involved, perhaps it was a decision they made together for some reason for all we know.

It'll be interesting to see how he responds to Max.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Apr 22, 2023

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Kyte posted:

So if Davy split the Sphinx I guess Cody inherited that ability. Since he split Hijack in a similar fashion.

Cody used Davy's hook uh sword thing. So it might still be an application of Davy's power.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Is it? "Receiving and redistributing strength" could mean all kinds of things, that's what a wolf eating a deer is doing. Similarly the 'selflessly' part - even if that's true and not just Angel getting all giddy over the supernaturally charming spirit critter, selflessness is pretty subjective and morally neutral on its own. And since when were Forge's motivations selfless?

About Forge. I wasn't sure if we knew his motivations precisely so I went back to check. Towards the end of their fight, Spender laments losing to a fire spirit like Forge because he was mentored by a pyrokinetic spectral.

So uh yeah. Forge is 100% June's spirit. Though we still don't know what he wants in exchange from the Angel for serving her. Though it seems likely it has something to do with June?

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 00:08 on May 3, 2023

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

SKULL.GIF posted:

It helps that Zack has been getting better and better with the prose. The previous chapter, when they were still very new to it, was wayyy too wordy and long-winded, and even on rereads it's rough getting through it. I nearly dropped it entirely because of that, but when I saw Chapter 8 started I picked it back up (rereading Chapter 7 in the process) and I'm glad I did so.

Absolutely. There was some overwrought writing early on but he's gotten so much better since then.

Probably one of the best transitions I've seen of a comic going to text + images. I hope its sustainable and their hand stays in good shape.

They are really killing it with the comic right now.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 21:14 on May 8, 2023

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

SKULL.GIF posted:

I am not, the story has given plenty of hints without actually saying outright that the shadow spirit has black energy. IMO this is part of what makes it so scary; it can possess anyone with black energy, which we know is a very common spectral color, and feed off them to awaken.

Lucifer's old enough and experienced enough that he knows what Wights can do when they awaken, if he's referring to the Black Scrap as a "nuclear bomb" then it's something beyond a Wight I think.

Spender's spirit could still be a wight, or more specifically a fragment of one since we've already seen that with the Sphinx. If the spirit from the flashback is the one that Spender sealed, it looks similiar to the wight that was attacking the dream. Lucifer had sealed and suppressed the shadow spirit by then so it's likely not the same entity.

But it does seem like there's some sort of connection.

edit: oh got beaten to it but yeah basically same idea as that. Spender's spirit is probably the key to whatever the deal is with the wight that attacked the dream that everyone seems to be after.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 06:03 on May 6, 2023

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Brought To You By posted:

The flashback with Spender and crew in the dream definitely still indicates that in part or in whole Spender is housing a Wight. We know Vice Principle DuNacht was looking for this Wight, the Burgers also started researching it on orders from the previous Boss Leader, and Ultimately Spender, Mina, and some other people got tangled into a huge conflict ending. I'm guessing after the consortium moved into the area properly there was the scuffle with the Sphinx.

My guess is whatever this Wight could do would let DuNacht take things to another level should she acquire it.

It's very possible that the shadow is the aftermath of what happens when a wight is killed, all spectral energy in the surrounding area is drained and it is instantly reborn. Boss Leader uses the term Cocoon and depending on how literal that terminology the shadow could be the "larval" stage of a reincarnating Wight.

I agree that he has a wight (or part of one) but just to clarify by flashback I meant the flashback within a flashback here. The one where a spirit is reaching for spender in the water, which seems to be a different entity from the one in the dream but looking remarkably similiar. Though with the dream "walls?" covering the other it's hard to say for sure but the one in the water seems to have an extra finger.

But the spirit from the water seems likely to be the spirit that Spender has (or part of it), not the one that attacked during the dream. Since by the page you linked, and the fact that Spender has dripping darkness where his eyes should be at the end of this scene, he's already possessed (with Lucifer likely suppressing it) by the time this attack in the dream occurs. Though with as powerful as a wight can be, maybe it can still attack in dreams even if held back. Though there's a decent chance these are two distinct spirits, or at least two parts of the same one.

Maybe Spender just stole it's finger. Pretty rude if so.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 07:44 on May 6, 2023

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Bleck posted:

Tapping thoughtfully on the thread title

Thanks for the correction, I fixed the post!

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

SKULL.GIF posted:

This is a completely wild guess that I don't mean to be serious speculation at all, but what if Dimitri himself is a ghost? Isabel's line about "About ghosts. Sometimes they can use tools. And they can last for a really long time." That'd fit with the shapeshifting which no other character, even accomplished spectrals, has been able to exhibit. The closest they've come is Spirit Fusion.

We know Dimitri had a near brush with death while he was young, which is what turned him into a spectral, and he met Peekaboo briefly after. But look at Dimitri's character, he doesn't like being acknowledged or scrutinized, he prefers being in the background observing things. And yet, like PJ, he's drawn to people with very high energy and zest-for-life (Isabel, Suzy). All that fits with being a shy, reclusive spirit, and Peekaboo's fixation on its youth and refusal to grow seems to fit with being a baby/toddler ghost.

Have we seen any ghosts that can be seen by non-spectrals? There's some that can affect real world objects like Fransisco but even a powerful spirit like him couldn't be seen by Isabel's mom. I'm pretty sure Dimitri was interacting with quite a few folks during the hitball segment, so it seems fairly unlikely he'd be a ghost?

With all the secrets everyone has though, it feels like you can't rule anything out 100%.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

MikeJF posted:

Maybe we are seeing peekabo's energy and he's secretly a white wight :tinfoil:

That's definitely one way to explain the weirdness with Peekaboo in general. So it doesn't seem impossible?

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Malpais Legate posted:

Max couldn't have been possessed before coming to Mayview or the barrier would've crushed him in a horrifying fashion inside his family's minivan on entry.

So the Sphinx of Promises, or whatever her name may be, is probably a relatively recent addition to the kid.

I think there might be some leeway with this.

Because Forge was able to get into Mayview by possessing Johnny who then crossed the barrier immediately afterwards.

So it seems being possessed isn't enough to get blocked by the barrier if you aren't currently a spectral.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Aug 21, 2023

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Ditocoaf posted:

My takeaway from this page is that Crush is lying to Ed, and is in the death cult himself. Was that not everyone's takeaway?

...is the gorilla cultist the guy from the radio station? That's sad news.

Also hi I finally caught up after abandoning Paranatural during the prose transition. I followed a link to the recap at the end of Chapter 7, kept reading from there, and it was a much better experience than I remember it being. Still not sure if I'm going to go back and read what I missed.

If Crush was a cultist he probably wouldn't have drawn Ed's attention to the gorilla in the first place. I think it's just another case of the adults going, I'm not gonna involve anyone else I'll handle this all on my own, etc. Instead of doing the sensible thing which in this case would be to tell Ed to get Guerra.

So this is probably not going to lead to a good outcome. Unless the cultist is just here to parlay or something. If it is the radio guy, they are probably pretty good at getting what they want through talk anyways.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Sep 9, 2023

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

SKULL.GIF posted:

... I wonder if Zack's swerving us again? We're thinking Professor Bigfoot because of the size, the mask, and the speech patterns.

But "Ape" is making me think "Oop".

Maybe Bigfoot is in the Oop family, that'd be pretty appropriate for Mayview really.

e: typo

I like this theory.

I wonder who the Mothman person is related to. Has to be from an enemy faction so they can do LARP a romeo and juliet soliloquy halfway through end game.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Ditocoaf posted:

In the Mothman/Bigfoot/Stephen chapter, we saw that DJ Mothman is the ex-husband from the Price-Lee family, chasing his dreams while his ex hatches evil schemes to accumulate wealth that didn't come from his "vast snake-oil vitamin supplement fortune", and his daughter has a run-in with vampires.

https://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-6-page-33

...I hadn't remembered that all until I reread the chapter recently. That chapter follows the Price-Lee family as much as it does Stephen.

Oh you're absolutely right! so much happened in that chapter I forgot.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

SKULL.GIF posted:

I previously wrote it off but on second thought I think there's a really decent chance that Ape is Coach Oop.

P.K. the doctopus is introduced immediately as Oop shows up. And we see here that he can un-slope his shoulders when he's not trying to shrink out of existence like he is at the beginning of the chapter. And why might he be nervous? Perhaps because he saw Davy Jones in the hallway (drawn there *because* of Max)?

This is an unusual amount of focus for Coach Oop to get for someone who's supposed to just be an one-off comic relief character. He also has a quite distinct body shape in Panel 4 here ... almost gorilla-like.

It feels like the comic is laying it on thick that it is Professor Bigfoot here because of the way he speaks, especially the part with the rhetorical "You are right to ask this, etc". But it being so obvious makes me think it might not end up being him. Maybe he has a twin brother or a cousin? It's not impossible for it to be Oops. He's a gym teacher so you can't rule out that he's not secretly evil in a YA work.

That said we know the doctopus was PJ's doing, its in the montage showing the ways PJ was helping Max later on in the chapter.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

SKULL.GIF posted:

By the way, taking a wild shot here given intuition. Principal Pleezdoo is the Authority.

There's a decent chance of that. I think Suzie is probably going to be the only singular person who's truly in the dark. Either her or Max's dad. With everyone else being some sort of player in this.

Not counting a few people like Johnny (and presumably his gang) who were in the dark before the comic but are clearly getting involved now.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Ettin posted:

I hope this turns into some kind of Paranoia situation. Just have everyone in Mayview be in a secret society and doing weird crap with spirits except Suzy.

Yeah, that would be perfect.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Bleck posted:

What about Alex?

She's clearly an alien looking for friends.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

ronya posted:

on one hand, Cody is really underthinking this

on the other hand, he's a kid looking for his mum

sportsball arc suggests he coasts a lot on his supernatural abilities and isn't the Dmitri-type overthinker

maybe he just hasn't realized that bringing Hijack out with him might be a bad idea, given that Davy can instantly see Hijack floating around whilst Cody has to echolocate

Well if the Hijacks are able to stay in the fish and not doing anything suspicious they should be fine.

Though I'm guessing he's going to need them to do something tonight so whatever that is could put them at risk. Since otherwise it makes no sense to bring the hijacks at all.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Brought To You By posted:

Ha. Cody absolutely just Screwed the pooch on this one.

Yeah. Welp that's one way to get his dad mad I suppose

https://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-5-page-281 guess we might get to find out what happens when the witch gets hijack's ability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Cryophage posted:

Canid, white spirit energy, obsession with wii games...

What ever happened to Sockpuppy, anyways?

Hijack said he was vaporized when the train became a grudge. https://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-5-page-238