Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

wiegieman posted:

For what it's worth, Zack has said that Johnny is just going to get the most annoying power ever.

He already has that power. It's called 'being Johnny'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Why are there faces in the darkness in the second last panel? :ohdear:

Also there a few spirits just randomly going through walls in the background in other panels, as you do. I think one's caught another in panel 6. It's a cruel spirit-world.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Oh hey, they're Night Lamps. Callback!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Also after re-reading some earlier, let me get this straight:

So far there are no human superpowers except for the ability to see spirits/ghosts/whatever, and to use their powers in the form of a tool, or directly if they get possessed. All superpowers come from spirits/ghosts.

Every time they use a tool they're slowly bringing the spirit that got trapped inside back to life, and eventually it'll burst out of the tool and they'll have to deal with it again.

Same with mediums, which will probably be very uncomfortable for Isaac the day it happens.

So do tools bind to a single person? Like, Max couldn't use Isabel's book? And for that matter, can they only have one tool at once, or could they go pick up a different one from that storage closet they were keeping all the tools in if they wanted a different power? So if you just happen to first pick up a tool with butterfly-making-powers you're pretty screwed for everything except making dates more romantic and driving your cat nuts? And I guess mediums can't use tools at all whilst they have a spirit in their head, or Isaac would have one to add even more awesome abilities to his array.

Also some but not all ghosts/spirits can touch real world objects that aren't spectrals/tools. That's poltergeisting. Left and the First Day Ghost-Eating-Bat are two examples. Right?

Also, some but not all ghosts have superpowers? Or do they all and PJ is just that lame.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Feb 1, 2013

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

ThatPazuzu posted:

During the explanation of tools, they said tools needed a suitable host. So maybe it doesn't need a specific individual but not just anyone can use any tool.

Don't forget, though. Even without their tool, spectrals can still shoot colored energy and make sheilds and stuff.

Oh yeah so they do have innate superpowers in the form of their own energy. Okay.

Also Max's energy is lamer because he can't use his as a nightlight.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

YES bread posted:

Zack has actually talked about a lot of this in the comments, IIRC the spirit powers are color-coded. Max can't use Isabel's book, but only because they emit different types of energy. A spectral can use more than one Tool, but then the spirits would have to 'split' the energy that they siphon off to regenerate, which would cause the process to take longer and probably make them pissy at each other. Mediums can use Tools, but would have the same issue.

Ahh, so the toolified spirits are actually aware and conscious and spectrals require their cooperation to use the tool power. Interesting.

I mean I can't really see the guy in the plunger being too happy about being used by a human. And when he does regenerate that'd be a bad thing, wouldn't it?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

ThatPazuzu posted:

What magnet snake? I just thought he found a baseball bat that already had a ghost in it.

I guess he's assuming that this thing is a vision of the fully-restored version of the magnet spirit from inside the bat. Makes sense - it's got black spectral energy, and all the debris piled up is made of metal.

Also I think he has the vision the moment the bat-magnet-powers activate - it's in the next comic that a can flings itself at him.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Oxxidation posted:

Remember how Isaac hinted that the power of a Tool unlocks after its user encounters the spirit sealed inside?

Just went looking, and oh yeah! 'Your' spirit. So they're possessive. And they get communicative with their owners, apparently. Interesting.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I think it was kinda like a vision, so it may have just been a moment that seemed longer than it was?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

As well as the hair spikes, Isaac's spirit causes him to forever have a curl of hair following him around just behind his head.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Oxxidation posted:

If Tools feed off the power that arises from Spectrals than Izzy's must be loving bottomless, that girl apparently can't turn a corner without trying to go all Attila the Hun on every paranormal entity in her line of sight

Not to mention she uses it to build herself chairs or horses to ride on.

(Don't blame her, I would too. But mine would be a lion.)

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

To be fair, I doubt apocalypse-spirits come along that often, or the world would have ended at some point already. I mean, it's three twelve year olds and a teacher, aside from The Events That Will Ensue In The Main Plot I doubt that things would change much if they weren't there, or at some point they would have before all this.

And most spirits seem quite nice - maybe a lot of the ones in tools were, so recharging them isn't a worry.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Oh, I'm sure serious poo poo is going to go down. See magnet-snake, at the very least. That one doesn't look too friendly. That kind of crap is what the main narrative is for, but that doesn't have to be the implied norm the rest of the time.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Diet Conan Doyle posted:

Check out the panel with the body part snatching spirt on this page: http://paranatural.net/chapter-3-page-5/

If you look closely under Isaac's speech bubble, you can see an extra person was with them.

Oh yeah! There are black body parts in there. The Dimitri Theory grows stronger...

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

red plastic cup posted:

If you'll look at the image that says Paranatural by Zach Morrison at the top, you can see Spender's shades chilling with Max's bat, Izzy's book, and Ed's brush.

I feel like there should be a spike of yellow hair there too.

Isaac is too awesome to be left out.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Anyone feel that he'd get a lot more readers picking this up if he redid the first... eight or so pages? I was initially turned off by the first page when I saw it, not knowing that it hikes practically up to the current level of quality within just a few.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Coloured and cleaned up, re-inked maybe.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Doorman is awesome.

Say sorry, Isaac. :colbert:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Torokasi posted:

This being said, what does Isaac need redemption for?

Brannock was speculating about this last comic, actually:

Brannock posted:

- Isaac's vow was not sworn "without cause", which means Isaac may have lost control of his powers or used them too enthusiastically in the past and regretted it. This also ties in with how confident Isaac was about how he could "totally destroy" Ed and Isabel. He didn't take it well when Max teased him about calculating whether or not he could take the kids in a fight, either.

- Same with "You have seen the damage a lightning bolt can do", actually.

I think it's becoming more clear that Isaac did something quite bad at some point with his powers.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I love Max's take on the world.

And I really hope that we keep seeing Doorman after this chapter, he's fantastic.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Well... that was a... twist... :stare:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

So I guess the policy will be ciphered stuff and speculation is spoilered?

Anyways, so. Interesting. So sounds like there's multiple factions of 'broken gods' that have returned, and the one represented by Max's possessor isn't the biggest threat.

Judging by the way the bat's glowing in the last panel I'm inclined to agree that it's the bat spirit possessing Max, but that it's different from normal spirits somehow... the spirit of a 'god', whatever that is in this world's context.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

SWMadness posted:

Same here. I'm impressed that Zack actually went through the effort to make a real cipher instead of just throwing in some cool-looking nonsense for a place-holder. And I'm also equally impressed that someone cracked it that fast. :golfclap:

I wonder if he was anticipating it or if he was hoping to hold revelations back for later.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Fried Chicken posted:

But the buses are arriving! Won't Johnny and Ollie be late for school? :ohdear:

They're cutting.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Brannock posted:

Eh, I wouldn't spoiler speculation. That just gets messy really quickly.

I meant speculation based on the contents of the cipher.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Gosh dang this is the best news.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Mar 5, 2013

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah, I could only choose one.
I voted Paranatural because whilst I regard Gunnerkrigg better Paranatural deserves exposure and Gunnerkrigg's pretty well represented.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Matlock Birthmark posted:

Well, how about magnet powers and electricity. Isaac can provide that.

Yeah, that's the one we see in the wallpaper. Max's bat is lighting charged.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Meowjesty posted:

Isaac really just cannot get any respect. :allears:

It's his other medium superpower.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Meowjesty posted:

The bigger concern is that Isaac broke his vow of violence. :colbert:

Quite honestly I don't think Doorman would blame him. Gandhi would probably be trying to punch Spender by now.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Zerilan posted:

From how it sounded earlier, it's not really that he's left out, but Isabel and Ed just don't care about any of that as long as they get to fight spirits and play with superpowers.

And Max doesn't care that much as long as he gets to land sweet burns on people.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It is possible to unredact the text in the last panel.

Dunno if that was an accident or deliberate. Still, here we go.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It's interesting that he isn't even allowed to tell Isaac that he isn't telling him because he's a medium.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I wonder if Isaac can glow out like that in real-time.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Cthulhuite posted:

You can't see his eyes, so maybe they're all "I'm possessed" glowy ALL OF THE TIME? :tinfoil:

Maybe the 'THE GOVERNMENT' panel really was as glowy as it looks! :tinfoil:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Why does she have a paper morning star in that last panel? :lol:

Wouldn't you?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Have we not mentioned how Mr Spender's power is apparently glowing really hard?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

cisneros posted:

Also, the Goku hair indicates she's a medium.

I think that might just be Isaac bonding with his spirit. He said mediums start to look like their spirit as the spirit gets stronger. His hair is starting to look like lighting cloud's eyebrows.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Guessing the dream-meeting is gonna be pretty psychedelic.