Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Today's comic's full of info.

Spender saying that they'll have to deal differently with spirits once they pass the barrier confirms that the barrier is meant to keep paranatural energy inside Mayview and not outside it.

So a Tool is something separate from actually being possessed by a spirit? Certain things are Tools, or they become Tools by lieu of absorbing a spirit for the first time then continue on to eat spirits for the rest of its lifespan or what? Or I guess Tools are items that are possessed by a strong spirit, then they (while still possessed) regenerate by eating ghosts/small spirits (thus why Isabel wants to fight them so badly instead of just tossing them out of the train) along with siphoning off energy from its spectral owner.

The takeaway from today's comic is "Ghosts can use Tools, but they'd get eaten by it over time since they don't have a baseline that they can regenerate from, and Tools will suck down energy faster than the ghost can regenerate it."

Also that Max'd better go see his mom soon, and that we're going to have a scene later on where PJ fades away. I wonder what specifically that line about "the mental connection, for ghosts it's a lure, ..." Does this mean that this is why PJ was drawn to Max, or what? That was a little confusing.

Also geez Zack likes to draw characters awkwardly scratching themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Aqua Outlaw posted:

Here's my crazy theory. Magnet Snake isn't a snake. He's a hydra.

Yeah, that was my immediate guess too after that page. Plus from what we've seen of Scrapdragon his one head definitely looks somehow hydralike.

Who knows though, all this is conjecture until we find out some more through the comic.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Spender is pretty competent.

Looks like those two dogs aren't coming back, either, with their remainder-spirits sliced into two.

Now that the third dog is outside the barrier it's probably going to track down the Forge spirit, and lead Spender directly to him.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
The comic's good but Chapter 1 really was weak. The three people I've recommended Paranatural to have all reported back with "I thought this was going to be really bad after Chapter 1 but holy crap this comic is fantastic"

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Or Mayview is so highly spiritually-concentrated that everyone who dies there sticks around for a while as a ghost.

Isaac did mention offhandedly that "there'd be a ghost" if Johnny really had died.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I almost get the sense that Forge is preparing to be killed by Spender, from Forge's body language and word choice.

Whitenoise Poster posted:

That was an impressively nasty trick that dog just pulled.

Yea, that was clever of it to use its last action like that.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

MikeJF posted:

A ghost using a tool might be possible, but it still seems unwise to siphon away your energy when you can't regenerate it.

Ghosts can regenerate energy, just slower than tools drain them.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Isaac's original tool was a car: http://firstnamezacklastnamemorrison.tumblr.com/post/77639598603/i-think-i-mentioned-before-that-isaacs-original

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
What happened to the dog behind Spender / the flame shot that Forge was going to shoot?

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Baron O Beefdip posted:

These are the dumbest looking dogs I've ever seen.

They're heavily referential to cyber-dogs from some movie.

Also, they're spirits - spirits generally only vaguely resemble the real-world animal analogues.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I bet the fear of dogs has something to do with her missing parents.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Angry Walrus posted:

Also...a backpack full of metal...a spirit who can shape metal into doors...a train that's looking increasingly opposed to passengers in it...a barrier that normally can't be crossed through without the train...I'm gonna call it right now, Forge and the Spectrals are gonna have to set aside their differences just so they can get back into Mayview.

After spending the weekend idly thinking about the comic in between fencing matches, I think this is incredibly plausible and it's going to be what ends up fulfilling Grandpa's prophecy that Spender is going to die with a hero's sword in his chest choking on the words "greater good".

What "greater good" than saving four children by making a deal to allow them back in Mayview, even at the cost of unleashing a potentially evil spirit into a protected zone?

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Really doubt Spender is dying soon though

No, but events soon could set up events later, especially with Grandpa giving us that bit of foreshadowing.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

neogeo0823 posted:

We'll never find out if Zack doesn't post the update though. He's been getting later and later with the updates over the last few weeks. Hopefully he's not getting bogged down or anything.

The pages have been becoming more and more complex, though.

Isn't he still in college?

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Splicer posted:

I'm worried Eightfold is about to get ate :(

Max's backpack looks like it'll be right under Eightfold. I bet the dogs will threaten to eat Eightfold but Max with some quick thinking saves it by magnetizing his backpack and catching Eightfold along the way with it.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Lucifer being revealed puts the "caged boid" line here in relief: http://paranatural.net/index.php?id=168

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

MikeJF posted:

I have to say, a spirit choosing the name 'Lucifer' strikes a warning bell. (I know, morning star, light, but still)

I agree, but perhaps not necessarily for the reasons you're thinking of. What was Archangel Lucifer's sin that led to his downfall? Pride. What does Spender show an excess of..?

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Nick_326 posted:

Also, Lucifer's speech bubbles have some letters that are in upper-case and bolded. Is this a reflection of how he talks, or is there some more mystery language shenanigans?

It's meant to represent flickering candlelight.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Splicer posted:

Then we find out Ed died offscreen like two comics ago.

You joke, but I genuinely think Ed is headed for a death sometime in the greater plot arc of the story. There's a couple things that have been implied/suggested that's going to happen (Isaac leaving the Activity Club, what's up with Dmitri, what will finally convince Isabel to get her poo poo together) and Ed dying or otherwise leaving would be a fine catalyst for all of them. Plus he's not terribly well fleshed-out, even compared to the other comic relief characters.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Angry Walrus posted:

Dmitri's just a chill and laid back enabler of Suzie, I'm not really sure where you're getting hints from him that Ed's going to die.

No, I'm suggesting that Ed dying/otherwise-getting-removed-from-the-plot would be a catalyst for Dmitri returning to the Activity Club. Also it's been heavily foreshadowed that he was the one who originally went nutso and left the club.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
The third panel reads almost like a rap.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Tollymain posted:

You fucker.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
The dogs kicked the book off the train rather than straight up destroying it -- they lured Spender off the train as well. Interesting.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

:ssh: If you notice a lot more of the background/side characters aren't just skinny white people so he's already been 'shoehorning' and you didn't notice nor had a problem with it so stop being a big ol' Goon :ssh:

:ssh: Okay :ssh: thank :ssh: you :ssh: for your contribution :allears: :ssh:.

Just let Zack do what he likes with his story, geez.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Well there are two types of hearts depicted: "organic" and pixelated. The pixelated hearts are almost certainly references to the skulldogs. Organic hearts? Dunno.

Also I'm not sure that we've seen an obvious meaning for "Player 2 Start" yet, unless it's referencing Ed's video game at the very start of the chapter (and I doubt it).

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
If you must be pious, boy, choose a proper priest.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I wonder if after a chapter with Isaac, then a chapter with Isabel, Max will have a chapter with Ed -- or if he's going to just stay the wacky comic relief with a depth of a rain puddle before being tragically killed off.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

All those last 3 links are the same.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
So I guess that's who Spider was.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
If Scrapdragon is incoherent who was talking to Doorman?

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Max's mom is Boss Leader.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
That's not very useful as long as we don't even know what Spender's actually doing. It could easily be "Everyone thinks what Spender's doing is wrong, but it's actually right (and he's been so drat secretive about it that it LOOKS wrong)"

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Oblivion4568238 posted:

Yes, this is the best page and all, but I'd like to remind everyone that Spender and Lucifer's guest is probably about to join the fun.

That'd fit with the whole "do good, by whatever means necessary" thing that Spender's got going. He hulked out to go save Max (a good act) but is probably going to lose control of the darkness spirit and unleash it on Mayview (a bad thing). And Agent Day is right there to ?see? it...

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I'm getting the sense that Agent Day isn't as benevolent as her first impression wanted us to think.

This page is a pretty effective recap of all the current plot threads: Max is staring down Day trying to figure out why she's here and what it could mean, Isabel is concerned for her mentor who's visibly not handling it well and still working through losing Eightfold, Ed knows something happened with Isabel and is worried about it, Isaac is off stewing about being left out yet again.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Oh come on guys, it's easy, we already had the solution presented to us. What Max needs is teleportation.

Which character in the story so far has the explicit power to teleport people?

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Forge didn't possess Johnny. He possessed Johnny's jacket.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Dolash posted:

I wonder if anyone out there with a winding story-driven webcomic in mind has ever just written the whole thing without uploading any of it then dumped the whole finished product at once?

Didn't Rice Boy update in huge chunks?

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I wonder how many times Agent Day is gonna leave people hanging.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Looks like both of them suspect that there's a spy in Mayview. I guess the obvious candidate for that would be Mr. Garcia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Tollymain posted:

that dinosaur bitey-grabby tool seems hilariously powerful

All Jojo powers are hilariously powerful.