Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

MikeJF posted:

So do tools bind to a single person? Like, Max couldn't use Isabel's book? And for that matter, can they only have one tool at once, or could they go pick up a different one from that storage closet they were keeping all the tools in if they wanted a different power? So if you just happen to first pick up a tool with butterfly-making-powers you're pretty screwed for everything except making dates more romantic and driving your cat nuts? And I guess mediums can't use tools at all whilst they have a spirit in their head, or Isaac would have one to add even more awesome abilities to his array.

Zack has actually talked about a lot of this in the comments, IIRC the spirit powers are color-coded. Max can't use Isabel's book, but only because they emit different types of energy. A spectral can use more than one Tool, but then the spirits would have to 'split' the energy that they siphon off to regenerate, which would cause the process to take longer and probably make them pissy at each other. Mediums can use Tools, but would have the same issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

Hand over the keys Isaac, you're way too anime to drive.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

Prison Warden posted:

Zack has mentioned the colour thing before though not in comic. It seems like a good idea ime to bring this up, since I first heard that tool use is linked to spectral energy colour it made me reconsider Spenders line about Max's black energy being common. A common spectral energy colour might be a good thing since it means there are lots of possibilities available when it comes to tool use.

On the other hand, black being a common energy color for spectrals doesn't necessarily mean it is for spirits.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
My guess is that the spirit would be released and have to re-possess one of the parts or another item entirely. Zack mentioned in the comments somewhere that a tool has to be a 'conceptual whole'. So, racist frogwhale bonds with the plunger, but once you take it apart it's no longer a plunger, it's a stick and a big suction cup thingy, thus breaking the bond/possession. That's my take on it anyway, it'll probably come up sometime in the future.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

Macaluso posted:

I can't get over how well drawn this newest page is.

The raindrops bouncing off it in panels 2-4. :allears:

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

Prison Warden posted:

The duplicating ghost considered possessing Max's dad. It didn't, presumably because he's kind of a dork but I think the fact the ghost even considers it says that Max's dad has the potential, even if it never developed for whatever reason.

Well everyone has the potential to become a spectral, any regular human that gets possessed will become one eventually. Zack has also confirmed in the comments somewhere that spectral ability/color isn't genetic or anything.

edit for big nerd

Probably her grandpa just has a lot of red spirit tools lying around, would explain why they happen to share the same color. :v:

YES bread fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Apr 30, 2013

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
Last night the creator of Vibe did a livestream with accompanying vocals by Demon Kings guy and Zack. By the end it had mostly turned into Parachat and he answered a ton of (mostly really awful) questions. Here's most of what I remember, spoilered for spoilers and meta stuff!

Obvious at the end of last chapter, but Spender is juggling two or more spirits. More importantly, he is confirmed to own several ties.
Zack mentioned that a lot of people have assumed that the Cousinhood is some kind of huge over-arching spectral organization, and that it's really not.
Things he's been most excited to draw in the comic so far? The first appearance of Doorman, and the first page of chapter 4. Also, Doorman has a friend that we have yet to meet. He seems to really like Doorman.
The main villain has not yet been introduced. This was accompanied by lots of evil laughter.
Lisa runs a coffee shop within the school cafeteria, the accepted currency being Starchman Stars.
Cody will become a mystery solving tween, gosh.
Max's friends Sam and Doghouse will show up for one chapter.
Talked about how spirits in the wild will eat ghosts and other spirits, and how spirits trapped in tools/mediums can eat ghosts/spirits of the same energy type to regenerate faster. The specific example he gave was a spirit killing it's medium and hoovering up the ghost(:stare:) for a quick snack, at the expense of long-term energy gain.
Confirmed that he understands plot threads and basic storytelling by answering some dude's question that yes, Max will meet his mother eventually. Said he wanted to make sure he got the scene right. Someone in the stream said "don't want to pull a loss.jpg?" and he replied "yeah that."
Someone asked if Isabel was an only child. His response: "Kiiiiiindaaa?"
Insolent Children is skater kid music and they sing about hating their parents. Max and his dad listen to them together.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

Tupperwarez posted:

I like the little imp dude in panel six, all with his tiny fire sword and shield, fighting a rat spirit.

Their battle rages eternal :black101:

It's good to see PJ again, he's pretty great.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

Roxors posted:

Isaac's lightning spirit would totally beat the magnet snake in a fight.

I believe that question was actually about Furio (character from VIBE) vs. the scrapdragon. The stream seems to get a lot of dumb crossover/anime power level questions.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
Just gonna drop this here

*Edit* Woops how'd I forget this part, by JR of Demon Kings during the Vibe/Paranatural/Demon Kings stream jubilee tonight

YES bread fucked around with this message at 07:28 on May 7, 2013

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
Everyone ignore all that and check out this adorable bunny spirit and gigantic terrifying boxbot.

poo poo is truly about to go down.

Tupperwarez posted:

The changing capitalization on the lamp guy reminds me of the 'insane' demon personality from Devil Summoner. "OlyMPic clAss aCTiVitYYYYYYYY!"

It looks like the text is 'flickering', pretty cool.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
There's just so much neat character stuff on this page. The liquor(?) bottle and two glasses, safe on the shelf with a clip of money sitting out in the foreground, news clipping about a maelstrom and what appears to be a topographical map (probably one of the Mayview hills). Spender is truly a land of contrasts and bad fashion.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
Great page, I love the Baron and Cody cameos on the yellow ring. We also get a glimpse of Spender's other spirit buddy in the fourth panel, oh boy! :can:

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

Tuxedo Ted posted:

Looks like each level's color has a different theme to it, too. Maybe a person's spectral color is a reflection of their personality in some way? The folks on the red level are all fightey-types it seems, while right above them the yellow folks are all business like Spender. And just above them the blues are sciencing it up hardcore.

All the spectral energy we see being used on the red level is different colored, though? It looks like it's just a general area for sparring.

YES bread fucked around with this message at 20:23 on May 31, 2013

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

Brannock posted:

Looks like it, since the door was opening inwards, not outwards. But what was he doing with his arm?

You can see the door opening outwards on the previous page? :confused:

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

Given Spender's whole attitude about trusting possessed people with the secrets of his special club I doubt they're regular members.

I think his trust issue is with Isaac's spirit rather than mediums as a whole, we do see a good number of them hanging out here. Remember that the thunder spirit really doesn't like Spender or his theoretical organization at all.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
That goofy parrot-dog thing behind Ed is amazing. :3:

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
He cares a lot about justice actually, it's just old school smite-the-wicked justice.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

Line Feed posted:

Sixth time? Oh, Spender. :allears:

Did the site layout change in the past hour or so? It looks nice.

Pretty excited about that store page. Make sure to mouse over Scrapdragon's face on the header, too.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

Heavy Zed posted:

Doesn't that just free her? When Isabel's grandfather destroyed one of the possessed targets not only was the spirit inside ok, they had to be chased down so that they wouldn't escape.

The spirit wasn't okay though, it was in a weakened state. We know from the whalefrog that it would have dissipated in short order without anything else to possess, they were only chasing it to make sure it went back into a practice target. I doubt Eightfold is going to have many options dozens of feet underground.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

Also the aura around Max really doesn't seem to mean a whole lot. Based on how Isabel described producing spectral energy as "flexing without moving", at best it represents when someone is really tense and far more often seems to just be used (especially with Max) to help Zach indicate motion and direction. Which is the meat and potatoes of what it's doing in this last page.

This is kinda right, Spectrals give off a consistent stream of energy 24/7. Even when it appears to flare up in the art that's just a way to dramatically indicate strong emotion in the character or whatever. Zack has said in some far off stream that the amount of energy a spectral gives off doesn't actually change, and there's no way to alter it (as far as we know).

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

Madrox posted:

Rrright, but it's not there at all on the previous page...

Zack is usually pretty quick to correct little art things he's forgotten after posting the comic. More likely it's not on the previous page because it would be confusing for the reader/ruin the "reveal" of her welding in the next page. On that earlier page we're supposed to know it's Max's mom, not what she's doing.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
Forge attacked it, it's rampaging.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

theshim posted:

Look, can't a father and his son both appreciate the band Insolent Children?

(I still want that shirt)

IIRC from one of the old-rear end streams, Max and his dad both love IC and bond over it, (all their songs are about hating your parents)

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

Whitenoise Poster posted:

I wonder what the spirit looked like when he imagined it before he read Jojo.

He actually posted the early design on twitter https://twitter.com/paranaturalzack/status/595688718750633984

:eyepop:

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

VerdantSquire posted:

it's probably a safe bet to say that spender did not choose his S.O. based on their cooking ability.

it's actually the huge unmedicated third degree burn on his torso that he's too cool and responsible to have a doctor look at

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

Unhappy Meal posted:

I am far more concerned with that lunch being purple stuff, vegetables, and no main portion. The two people directly in front of you have a burger/chicken sandwich and mashed potatoes, what are you even doing Isaac?

he's a semi-vegan