Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
I feel like the actual control is that he sees Sette as his daughter, and not as Mikaela but as Sette. The bauble was just to give Sette confidence that she had control of him herself.

I do recall him returning it to her previously, though, so yeah, I don't think this works quite as well if we're taking it as him finding out than from Sette pulling out all the stops to try to prevent him from making a huge mistake.

Sette's ~20 years old, though, she should learn to read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
Duane knew she had the amulet but IIRC had never heard it was supposed to control him, so it's reasonable he'd be re-examining it with a mix of annoyance and surprise.

It being a locally sourced bauble makes sense in context but it's not an "avid readers would've noted" moment.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Ikasuhito posted:

Yeah, he looks surprised and angry, which is a weird reaction to have if this is nothing new to him. Unless the idea is that he has had some other revelation he hasn't shared with us yet.

I thought the expression was more “Wait, this doesn’t line up. Did I miss something…? Wait, no no, it’s still junk” rather than a sudden revelation.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

habeasdorkus posted:

I feel like the actual control is that he sees Sette as his daughter, and not as Mikaela but as Sette. The bauble was just to give Sette confidence that she had control of him herself.

The actual control probably is that Duane is functionally a larger, wordier Boo, and Sette definitely has a weird ability to control ghosts and pymarics.

DrSnakeLaser
Sep 6, 2011

It is filled with something though, right? Sette noted it smelt like trapping her tail in a door so there's something pain-spellwork related.

The idea that the trinket is some junk bought locally because Bastion cant carry stuff when he teleports doesn't quite work for me, seeing as he teleported a whole-rear end Darkest Paul with him this chapter. Maybe Paul ended up being jaunted.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

DrSnakeLaser posted:

It is filled with something though, right? Sette noted it smelt like trapping her tail in a door so there's something pain-spellwork related.

The idea that the trinket is some junk bought locally because Bastion cant carry stuff when he teleports doesn't quite work for me, seeing as he teleported a whole-rear end Darkest Paul with him this chapter. Maybe Paul ended up being jaunted.

That was a special case, this is a khert fire and Bastion was muddled enough to try to offset through it. Cope elaborated a bit on the trinket question: it's not impossible to transport something from Bastion's secret workshop in Alderode to Sharteshane, but it's annoying and expensive, and there are plenty of chances for it to get misplaced. Many of them in Sharteshane.

Easier to buy something in Sharteshane and if you feel spicy, attach some cheap First Glass with red light and color aspects or something.

actually it could be a serving of Delicieu's pain potion tbh, that would account for the sensation and visuals

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
updates are in and several posters here called it

this is going to break their relationship worse than anything else they've been through, i think. neither can trust their feelings for the other anymore, which is bad for duane and catastrophic for sette

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Big oof.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Good.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Nice job breaking her Dwayne.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

oh Duane this is going to be very unpleasant

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
drat, what exactly *is* sette?

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Oxxidation posted:

updates are in and several posters here called it

this is going to break their relationship worse than anything else they've been through, i think. neither can trust their feelings for the other anymore, which is bad for duane and catastrophic for sette

I mean I think you are kinda right, but this is Unsounded, and money on them growing and learning together and bringing both a dollop of doubt on top of a helping of trust once it's all over.

It won't be easy, but we do know at some point they travel to Alderode together.

It's rarely a "one side of the coin or the other" thing here.

shirts and skins posted:

:iiam:

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

shirts and skins posted:

Tirna, if I had to guess

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Twenty Four posted:

It won't be easy, but we do know at some point they travel to Alderode together.

It's been literal years since Sette has had a goal that advances the narrative, but as Cope not so long ago diegetically reminded us, she is the main character of the story in her mind, so from that perspective they'd have to stick together because Sette would only go to Alderode if it's to follow Duane.

On the other hand, Cope has also been vocally thinking about ending the webcomic at the conclusion of this "Book" and gets a high out of subverting audience expectations, so who knows.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
So Bastion has to know something of her true nature, right? He's deeply irresponsible in many ways but he'd surely understand that his plans (the full scope of which we don't really know yet but it's definitely not just follow-up on the progress of his 'project') would be spiked if he sent her out into the world with exactly no means of controlling a sometimes-raving murderzombie. Especially with Sessine whispering in his ear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Conspiratiorist posted:

It's been literal years since Sette has had a goal that advances the narrative, but as Cope not so long ago diegetically reminded us, she is the main character of the story in her mind, so from that perspective they'd have to stick together because Sette would only go to Alderode if it's to follow Duane.

On the other hand, Cope has also been vocally thinking about ending the webcomic at the conclusion of this "Book" and gets a high out of subverting audience expectations, so who knows.

I suppose, but Ashley repeatedly has said the next book or chapter is Duane and Sette go to Alderode, so unless she is throwing in the towel on the entire story (that would be big news to everybody), and I don't think is the case by anything I have heard from her for many years, there's gonna be a break, but that's what's likely up in the future unless our world ends.