Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrSnakeLaser
Sep 6, 2011

Quigley's face in the bottom left panel is incredible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
One might wonder what else can now freely pass through, and if it also gets suitably enlarged.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Antigravitas posted:

One might wonder what else can now freely pass through, and if it also gets suitably enlarged.

Seems like it might be limited? Doesn't seem to be working for Duane's hand, so it could just be a Sette thing. Maybe also bird lady since she doesn't seem to be here?

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
New theory - bird lady is just regular bird size and has been interacting with everyone through portals.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Sette Frummagem can fix everything! :buddy:

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
looking good, Roger! :sweatdrop:

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Noooo, Ufal!

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Ufal ain't lookin' very good. OTOH, Sette is gonna treasure parts of this night for the rest of her life.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
I mean, just imagine how much poo poo you can steal when you can break panels like that.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Yet another good Ruck panel. I'm not actually certain who in that little crew is in danger from him tbh, he's off the chain (and the two skilled wrights aren't really in a position to cast) but could plausibly still have a use for Darkest, Bastion, and Sonorie.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

This, uh. This could be a metaphysical and theological big deal.

Souls and memories are allegedly quite different things...

however,

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
so is Winails an Ald, then? I'm afraid I lost track

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

shirts and skins posted:

so is Winails an Ald, then? I'm afraid I lost track

Yeah, he's a Jet. That's why his casting range is junk. Remember when he had to teleport to Elka and touch her to (briefly) take her down.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Goatse James Bond posted:

This, uh. This could be a metaphysical and theological big deal.

Souls and memories are allegedly quite different things...

however,

Huh? I don't get it.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

wait does that mean that Ruck's going to steal aggro because of his lunch

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Runa posted:

wait does that mean that Ruck's going to steal aggro because of his lunch

Based on Bastion's reaction that seems to be the case!

Staltran posted:

Huh? I don't get it.

Bastion and the general page subtext are implying that whatever bits of Roger Ruck is holding off on digesting aren't just his memories, they're pieces of his soul, at least enough to carry the Etalarche curse.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Based on Bastion's reaction that seems to be the case!

Bastion and the general page subtext are implying that whatever bits of Roger Ruck is holding off on digesting aren't just his memories, they're pieces of his soul, at least enough to carry the Etalarche curse.

WHAT IS THE CHARGE? Eating a meal? A succulent Aldish meal?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XebF2cgmFmU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Two pages today. She done nawt to you! Seems like Ruck might be done messing around.

and as sette is incoherently pointing out, duane is letting an efheby snatch a child

and... did darkest paul get gibbed? :ohdear: he died as he lived: with a stupid haircut, and fondling bastion in an ill-advised and emotionally complicated way

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Two pages today. She done nawt to you! Seems like Ruck might be done messing around.

and as sette is incoherently pointing out, duane is letting an efheby snatch a child

and... did darkest paul get gibbed? :ohdear: he died as he lived: with a stupid haircut, and fondling bastion in an ill-advised and emotionally complicated way

He disappears with Winails, think it's a ride-along

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Yeah, I don't think we've seen the last of Tarpaulin. Also, for fucks sake Duane, you morally stunted soul flotsam.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

if he can't take a wallet with him I'm surprised he can take paul

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

ffs Duane not again

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

I mean as far as Duane is concerned, the queen did order his death and sent a group of assassins to kill him and until recently also believed his daughter died as well as a result. He already hated her and Cresce as the enemy of his beloved country before any of that. Letting her die because of a horrible situation she put in motion herself isn't that crazy, especially with him being in a fit of anger and manipulated by the bird god lady.

Might this be where he learns that maybe the queen didn't have as much to do with his death as it appears on the surface? (That may or may not be the actual case, the full truth is still pretty hazy)

Now, if he was thinking clearly and not in the heat of the moment I would like to think he wouldn't put the child Chea in such danger since he has a huge soft spot for children.

I'm not totally excusing him here or anything, but this world has very few cut and dry "good or bad" people. The biggest villains still typically have more motivation then "being evil" and our protagonists are pretty flawed at best. It makes for a good story. As far as he knows, "you had me killed and almost got my daughter killed" is pretty good reason for Duane to hate someone.

I know no one has invincibility in this comic, but I'm betting Chea lives at least for now. However if she does die, I could totally see Duane going to Toma later and saying "see, the queen's machinations got your daughter killed too!" but I don't see Toma buying that.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i think it's been pretty well confirmed for a while that cresce had nothing to do with the hit on duane, it was a ploy by alderode's ruling class to unite the ssaelit and gefendur against foreign aggressors by uplifting a ssaelit cleric only for him to be cruelly assassinated right after his coronation. duane complicated things by decking lord bodie but the conspirators didn't let that stop them

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Tittybird's been whispering in his ear too, cooking him for this moment - plus I think maybe he's absorbed some of the eelshit Sette's been flinging around?

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Oxxidation posted:

i think it's been pretty well confirmed for a while that cresce had nothing to do with the hit on duane, it was a ploy by alderode's ruling class to unite the ssaelit and gefendur against foreign aggressors by uplifting a ssaelit cleric only for him to be cruelly assassinated right after his coronation. duane complicated things by decking lord bodie but the conspirators didn't let that stop them

Yeah that's most likely the case but Ashley has also mentioned in regard to that that Cresce would love to see infighting between the Northern Factions, and "backing" the Gefendur side is the logical choice, which is what it looks like at face value. Ashley loves playing coy with that stuff and going "well maaaaayyybeeee", but the Aldish Gefendur doing the hit and blaming it on Cresce does seem like the most likely possibility as you said.

However from Duane's perspective, none of that matters, as he doesn't know any of that. He saw with his own eyes while reliving the night in the Khert the literal writing on the wall where supposedly Cresce took credit for his assassination, so of course he is going to believe that. It would take some extremely in-his-face proof to convince him otherwise, being who he is. That being what he truly believes, and with good reason from his perspective, is only part of what is fueling his emotions and reactions right now, like:

Emzedoh posted:

Tittybird's been whispering in his ear too, cooking him for this moment - plus I think maybe he's absorbed some of the eelshit Sette's been flinging around?

Like I said above, I'm not saying any of that excuses him entirely, but it makes it pretty understandable especially right now.

Anyhow, new page up!

https://www.casualvillain.com/Unsounded/comic/ch18/ch18_80.html

I know Toma is a badass and is currently fueled by his instinct to save his little girl, but I don't think his dad-rage is a match for Ruck. Best of luck Toma, you're probably the closest thing to an actual "Good Guy" we have.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Twenty Four posted:

Yeah that's most likely the case but Ashley has also mentioned in regard to that that Cresce would love to see infighting between the Northern Factions, and "backing" the Gefendur side is the logical choice, which is what it looks like at face value. Ashley loves playing coy with that stuff and going "well maaaaayyybeeee", but the Aldish Gefendur doing the hit and blaming it on Cresce does seem like the most likely possibility as you said.

However from Duane's perspective, none of that matters, as he doesn't know any of that. He saw with his own eyes while reliving the night in the Khert the literal writing on the wall where supposedly Cresce took credit for his assassination, so of course he is going to believe that. It would take some extremely in-his-face proof to convince him otherwise, being who he is. That being what he truly believes, and with good reason from his perspective, is only part of what is fueling his emotions and reactions right now, like:

Like I said above, I'm not saying any of that excuses him entirely, but it makes it pretty understandable especially right now.

Anyhow, new page up!

https://www.casualvillain.com/Unsounded/comic/ch18/ch18_80.html

I know Toma is a badass and is currently fueled by his instinct to save his little girl, but I don't think his dad-rage is a match for Ruck. Best of luck Toma, you're probably the closest thing to an actual "Good Guy" we have.

Jivi is standing right there.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

A.o.D. posted:

Jivi is good boy, Toma is good dad.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

A.o.D. posted:

Hah yeah agreed, Jivi is great! However, Jivi is portrayed with more of a troubled past with a mixed conscience but heroically steps up to the plate when push comes to shove, while Toma is the closest to a generic lawful good protagonist (I use that term lightly, I don't want to get into semantics, everyone knows what I mean) based on what we know.

neogeo0823 posted:

Jivi is good boy, Toma is good dad.

Also well put! But if we want to go full on pure of heart best boy, it's Matty all the way!

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

https://www.casualvillain.com/Unsounded/comic/ch18/ch18_81.html

Some pretty harsh words there.

Also some gory hands and another exaggerated ugly face. Maybe I'm strange, but the drawn gore usually doesn't bother me at all, but those exaggerated extra gross faces sure can make me uncomfortable.

I know that's the point, and Ashley nails it I guess, but some uncontrollable part of my brain really does not enjoy looking at them.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If it was his doin', it was Tiddybird's doin'! From the start, it's been her!

good job sette, too bad it might be too late

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Cope's comment on the link to the comic today: "This is drat near a perfect reversal of their blow-out in the second chapter, when Sette did not want to help the milk-hicks with their slaver problem while Duane wished for nothing more. I think it’s interesting to see that Sette has grown a real sense of justice and fairness and charity, and Duane, when faced with a crumbling worldview, has retreated to the far darker yin of his personal convictions."]

I agree and Sette should be real proud. Duane, otoh, will regret it for the rest of his unlife if he doesn't unstick his head from twixt his nethers in time to help.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Please don't gently caress this up, Duane

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

GloomMouse posted:

Please don't gently caress this up, Duane

Much depends on him being the man he has always been.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
duane's had poor rhetorical showings before but this is just embarrassing. you'd think after the nevergreen he'd know when he doesn't have a leg to stand on

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Oxxidation posted:

duane's had poor rhetorical showings before but this is just embarrassing. you'd think after the nevergreen he'd know when he doesn't have a leg to stand on

He is swinging from a place of pure trauma and hurt here mostly. I’m not exactly getting my hopes up for him doing the right thing here, but I am super impressed at how well this scene feels like a pivotal moment balanced on a knife’s edge.

If I was being optimistic though, the last panel does seem like he’s slowing down and actually thinking about what Sette is saying. That he’s framing it as a musing question at all is a good sign.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Flavahbeast posted:

if he can't take a wallet with him I'm surprised he can take paul
True love conquers all.

Oxxidation posted:

Duane's already had his worldview upset multiple times on this journey, and this is the last basket he has to put all his traumatic, emotional eggs in. His daughter's still alive, no longer a perfect memory. His town trusted brother turned him into a living corpse, a blasphemous fate for a Ssaelit priest. He's looked back on his own life and seen all the ways he's been found wanting, his moral grandstanding rivaled only by his moral cowardice. But he's still an Aldishman. Even in death, he's one of them; a son of Alderode, and a Soud. He had to work twice as hard and be twice as upstanding and twice as patriotic to make it half as far as his non-Soud peers. But it was all worth it to be counted among them, to have purpose as part of the greater whole.

He needs the queen to be evil, to be responsible for everything. The alternative means accepting he meant nothing to his own people. He's babbling nonsense, but this might be the last, most painful pill he'll have to swallow.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I'm pretty sure the author can find an even more painful pill for him to swallow later.

DrSnakeLaser
Sep 6, 2011

"Sorry Sette, sometimes horrible things just have to happen.

Not to my family though, that's different."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Sette moonwalking away from Omelas, barb-covered middle fingers extended