Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Wonder why a boy that young has a prosthetic limb like that :raise:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Tollymain posted:

His job requires him to be armed at all times.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

T.G. Xarbala posted:

His job requires him to be armed at all times.
:downsrim:

Usually when people here ask perfectly logical questions like that someone has on the formspring or whatever the hell it is now- just checked and yep, it's going to be explained.

Crigit
Sep 6, 2011

I'll show you my naval if you show me yours.
Let's get naut'y.

Tollymain posted:

Is he not a soldier or something? Dismemberment is an occupational hazard for swordy types.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Worst spy ever

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

It's not that guy. If you read several pages further there's a closeup of the badge which indicates that guy was a member of a mounted infantry division in Cresce. Hence the "We cannot be so far west" line.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Rime posted:

It's not that guy. If you read several pages further there's a closeup of the badge which indicates that guy was a member of a mounted infantry division in Cresce. Hence the "We cannot be so far west" line.

Well he's obviously not remembering someone he's never met and looks Aldish despite being from Cresce. I interpreted that as him remembering his brother in the context of fighting Cresce.

7c Nickel fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Apr 11, 2013

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

7c Nickel posted:

Well he's obviously not remembering someone he's never met and looks Aldish despite being from Cresce. I interpreted that as him remembering his brother in the context of fighting Cresce.

Hmm, fair play. I always read it in the context of the flashback being the person who's corpse he stumbled across, never considered that angle. The "Worm-eaters" on the badge takes on a whole new meaning after the most recent pages, too.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Rime posted:

The "Worm-eaters" on the badge takes on a whole new meaning after the most recent pages, too.

"Snake Killers" and yeah the badge has some sort of giant wolf biting down on one of those weird Aldish snake dragon things.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
So... over/under on the Weeping Plague being an instigated biological attack? It's getting too much mention for it not to be A Thing.

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

But you are a person, and I can't say I'm awfully fond of that.
My speculation - and this is actual speculation, she's never said about it on the Formspring - is that while the government may not have created it, governmental factions are certainly willing to drag their feet on seriously fixing it in order to gain some political advantages.

The guy who took Kara away after her family died of it is almost certainly Bastion Winalils, who's the same guy who gave Sette the amulet to control Duane, and who is a Blacktongue according to Kara (which seems likely to be true because the amulet he gave Sette certainly isn't government-approved magic.) So if the Blacktongues were in Falcyne, trying to fix the problem, they may also be responsible for it.

SpudCat
Mar 12, 2012

That is the brightest blush I have ever seen outside of an anime.

Alive-Duane continues to cement his absolute dork status.

faxmaster
Nov 1, 2004

I can see all of the colors.

EgoEgress posted:

That's such a great little bit of interaction going on in the background there.

Alive-Duane has really made me like his character a lot more. Sure is going to suck when he dies horribly!

Captain Capacitor
Jan 21, 2008

The code you say?
I vote that "I don't know what that means, but it does sound impressive." should be the new thread subtitle. Represents my reading of this comic every day.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

EgoEgress posted:

It just makes me want to know how he transitioned from being an adorable dork to being a horrible undead monstrosity.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

SirSamVimes posted:

It just makes me want to know how he transitioned from being an adorable dork to being a horrible undead monstrosity.

By dying, mostly.

Takezio
Nov 7, 2011
On the old Formspring she said that his personality hasn't really changed much, aside from the crippling depression and underlining tones of hopeless despair.

I mean, he's still a big dork, but it's kind of overshadowed by his zombieness. I'm just wondering when he'll hit the dude. Couple pages back, it looked like he wanted to start something.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

TheFuzzyLumpkin posted:

My speculation - and this is actual speculation, she's never said about it on the Formspring - is that while the government may not have created it, governmental factions are certainly willing to drag their feet on seriously fixing it in order to gain some political advantages.

The guy who took Kara away after her family died of it is almost certainly Bastion Winalils, who's the same guy who gave Sette the amulet to control Duane, and who is a Blacktongue according to Kara (which seems likely to be true because the amulet he gave Sette certainly isn't government-approved magic.) So if the Blacktongues were in Falcyne, trying to fix the problem, they may also be responsible for it.

So now we know that 1) the Weeping Plague is definitely magical, and 2) Winalils is definitely studying it (making him indeed Kara's "black tongue doctor".) Apparently the idea of trying to weaponize it isn't new either.

...huh. If this flashback wasn't 6+ years old I would think that this is the whole plot right here. Starfish told Captain Toma that his payload "wasn't meant for Cresce", which raises the question of why he's smuggling it there in the first place. Cresce is on the western edge of the continent, so it's not like you have to go through Cresce to get anywhere. Unless, of course, you want to make it look like a biological attack is coming from Cresce... perhaps as retaliation for the current Aldish invasion, a plot that Winalils had plenty of advance warning on (and depending on his level of influence, may even have helped instigate.) So the Ssaelit faction gets their revenge on their countrymen, and the Crescians get the blame.

Either way Councillor Bodie is sinister as gently caress, though. At this point I wouldn't put it past him to have been behind the original weeping plague outbreak and have deliberately unleashed it on his fellow Ssaelit, in order to thin out competition for power and create justification for "retaliatory" attacks. His "Whether by accident or design, the weeping plague fell upon a province of our good and blameless Ssaelit brethren" speech definitely reads like "haha yeah I nuked the gently caress out of those dorks."

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I can totally see why Duane would hit this guy now. If it weren't for the fact that it'd gently caress him over I'd want him to do it, too.

Takezio
Nov 7, 2011
Whelp, Friday'll be fun.

(hithimhithimhithim)

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!
He did it! He punched him! What a shocking twist!
Exclamation points!

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
I love, love, love the facepalm on the guy in the back of the last panel. Not "oh my god, he punched him!", just "oh, god, he punched him." Beautiful.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I know it'll end badly but man, that is satisfying.

Also, "pissmop"? Considering the way hair color and Alderode castes/races align, that's pretty blatantly a slur, right to Duane's face. Wow. Though, checking out the wiki, he also called Duane a traitor based solely on his caste, so I guess we already knew this. Still, what an rear end in a top hat.

Edit: I mean we already know he's a dick, what with suggesting unleashing that one plague and hinting he's behind the one that already exists, but it's still a bit surprising to see such openness about his dickery.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Apr 26, 2013

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Wow, I'd have done a lot more than just punch the guy. What a knobend.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Roland Jones posted:

I know it'll end badly but man, that is satisfying.

Also, "pissmop"? Considering the way hair color and Alderode castes/races align, that's pretty blatantly a slur, right to Duane's face. Wow. Though, checking out the wiki, he also called Duane a traitor based solely on his caste, so I guess we already knew this. Still, what an rear end in a top hat.

Edit: I mean we already know he's a dick, what with suggesting unleashing that one plague and hinting he's behind the one that already exists, but it's still a bit surprising to see such openness about his dickery.

According to Duane's wife this guy has a reputation for these speeches, which gives you an idea of how low Duane's social status is. You know, if the fact that he lived in a literal ghetto with obscene graffiti on the walls wasn't a clue.

Takezio
Nov 7, 2011
Heh, Duane's face in the second-to-last panel. "My apologies, dear wife of mine"

Also, ow, he's gotta stop abusing that poor injured hand of his. :gonk:

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Eh, that's a high enough road for me :v:

Yeah Man
Oct 9, 2011

And if you had, you know, a huge killer robot at your command, yeah, that would just clutter things up; and a lesser person might want that kind of overwhelming force on their side, but you know - where's the challenge in that?

Gabriel Pope posted:

According to Duane's wife this guy has a reputation for these speeches, which gives you an idea of how low Duane's social status is. You know, if the fact that he lived in a literal ghetto with obscene graffiti on the walls wasn't a clue.

You really have to wonder why Duane is so loyal to a country that considers him a traitor and scum because of his birth.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Yeah Man posted:

You really have to wonder why Duane is so loyal to a country that considers him a traitor and scum because of his birth.

Alderode is the only country where the Gefendur faith hasn't crushed Ssaelism, the religion he follows, and in fact puts it on equal standing (if not slightly higher; it's because of Ssaelism's beliefs about corpses that plods aren't used there and other such things). Besides that, it's his homeland, and apart from scumbags and certain institutionalized things he's living the relatively good life, even about to be promoted to composer despite his caste. He isn't living Quigley's life or anything.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Yeah Man posted:

Anywhere else he'd be a traitor and a heretic because of his religion. Sucks to be Duane!

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I looked at the formspring (well I guess it's ask.fm now? whatever) thing and the author takes a shot at her own art, making fun of the background details of this panel:

Then someone comments it looks like a... particular face and she responds:

Ha. The gal's alright.

SpudCat
Mar 12, 2012

I do love Duane's expression before he punches the dude out. It's just "welp, that's enough of that".

A pity his promotion's doomed now.

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.
Don't you mean hanged? :v: But yes, great expressions all around on that last page.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Yeah there's no way Duane's making it out of this alive.
We know he walks out of it dead though!

Pyradox
Oct 23, 2012

...some kind of monster, I think.

Panel 5 is great and I made some avatars out of it:

And animated:

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

But you are a person, and I can't say I'm awfully fond of that.

Nanomashoes posted:

Yeah there's no way Duane's making it out of this alive.
We know he walks out of it dead though!

I don't know - he's in the papers, he instructs students, he preaches - he's clearly a pretty public figure at this point. If they try to arrest him for assaulting the councilor, he gets to turn around and say "I did it because the councilor was promoting BIOLOGICAL WARFARE."

I can't imagine they just straight up murder him right now and then try to claim it was some kind of a legitimate execution, that just seems super suspicious. And if the councilor to some extent listens to the shadwe - which he clearly does since he's running this plan by the shadwe before just doing it - and the shadwe really likes Duane, well, there's at least a chance he exits this scene alive.

Edit: yeah, his promotion's fuuuuuucked

Hallgerd
Dec 10, 2011
We know Bodie's in with this guy. Duane's also no fan of Black Tongues. I'm figuring the guy in the flashback has something to do with Duane's eventual fate due to the Bodie connection and, you know, the fact he basically gave over Duane to the Frummagems.

Quigley came out with the Black Tongue comment after noticing Duane 'stank of undeath' and Quigley's rumoured to have at least associated with them.

I kinda wonder if the red vial he's holding in the last flashback might be something similar to the one Sette's controlling dead-Duane with too.

Hallgerd fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Apr 30, 2013

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

TheFuzzyLumpkin posted:

I don't know - he's in the papers, he instructs students, he preaches - he's clearly a pretty public figure at this point. If they try to arrest him for assaulting the councilor, he gets to turn around and say "I did it because the councilor was promoting BIOLOGICAL WARFARE."

Therefore, silence him with blackmail. Good thing he brought a perfect piece of blackmail material to work on this fateful day.

We're gonna get the source for this flashback.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
So I can't help but notice the red snakes. Duane talks about them, they show up around him later while he's lost control. They're coming out of people and seemingly being controlled by Quigley in his suicide run flashback. One appears and bites past-Duane when his daughter's spell goes awry. The vial given to Sette by Winalils is the same color red.

I'm mostly wondering if Mikaila's back-firing spell hurting Duane will mean more. Given how adept the artist has been about incorporating small but important details in various scenes I can't see the snake there as being inconsequential.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Yeti
Jun 1, 2011
The snakes (smoke eels) do seem to be important and the writer has talked about them on her formspring/ask.com thing. Without going into that, reread what the dying girl in one of the earlier chapters says about them when Duane finds her. What happened to her also clearer with the plague talk of the last few pages.

Some things seem to come out of nowhere, but have been foreshadowed or even kind of explained long before. I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing. After all, if you don't recognize it as useful information at the time, and need to read additional stuff outside the story to realize that it is, it just seems out of place.