Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Bad Seafood posted:

He needs the queen to be evil, to be responsible for everything. The alternative means accepting he meant nothing to his own people. He's babbling nonsense, but this might be the last, most painful pill he'll have to swallow.

Probably helped by the fact that I think no one in universe has any illusion said queen wouldn't wipe out the ssaelit if she had the chance. Even if it not her explicit goal she's not gonna lift a finger to stop the rest of her government from doing that if her plans tor alderode actually came to fruition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

shirts and skins posted:

Sette moonwalking away from Omelas, barb-covered middle fingers extended

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

shirts and skins posted:

Sette moonwalking away from Omelas, barb-covered middle fingers extended

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
awwww jeez I teared up a little

until I read the bottom half of the page haha

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Duane you're loving up!!

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Duane "Double Down" Atelier

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
To be fair the Queen, regardless if she knew the whole plot and if she was/was not being played- helped kick off most of the awfulness going down here. I'm not terribly sympathetic to her because now she's seeing the sausage get made and regrets it- it's just that as always a bunch of innocent/good people are in the way. Duane has even less of an excuse to brush that off since he now knows how good some of these people are for a fact, and watched his own people (people both of Aldrode and his caste/order specifically) literally going to do the rape and pillage thing in a temple full of children he'd otherwise have wanted to save.

I'd have thought Duane turned a corner but it looks more like he's just being honest now instead of blustering.

DrSnakeLaser
Sep 6, 2011

drat Sette, sorry both your father figures are terrible. Maybe take a chance on Toma?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
I can approve of this narrative where the man belonging to a marginalized group within a persecuted group, who throughout most of his life had experienced dissociative episodes where his god spoke to him, in undeath chooses to stick to the fundamental pillars of his identity warts and all rather than flip the table just because of betrayals or a few sob stories.

That moment of self-reflection at the shrine wasn't telling himself to abandon being the perfect son of Alderode, but simply to stop deluding himself in his heart of hearts that his quest would - or should - earn him salvation.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Goddamnit Duane

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

As much as I agree he's loving it up, I don't think he is in control of that right now. Sette commanded him to be true, and it seems he's just spilling out nothing but the truth. It's not like she commanded him to be true about his feelings for her specifically, and so he's spilling out his personal truths about everything. We're gonna see exactly the sort of guy Duane is, because Sette just exposed his moral and emotional code. The real question is whether or not Sette could or would live with that truth.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
It’s a great page. People are not one thing, not one overriding principle or virtue or ideal, they are a swirl of contradictions. And by commanding him to be true she is exposing that. This is perfectly demonstrated by how he would simultaneously mourn Chea, sincerely wish her father success in destroying him, and not regret the blood shed. All three things are true even though, if people were consistent, they would be irreconcilable.

The question is, this is what Duane is now but can he change and if so how and how much?

S’good.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
well that doesn't seem good

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

welp

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
starting to feel like Book 1’s gonna end on a real down note

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

This is... inadvisable, Sette.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I am sorry, I get that this is a bad thing (Sette giving the control amulet to Duane, who has continuously proven to be…unreliable when left to his own devices) but I am unclear on how much of a bad thing it is.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Apr 19, 2024

Agaragon
Nov 16, 2018
I'm not really concerned about the necklace thing, if only because I do NOT like those creepy eels, I assume, starting to crawl into the border. Those tentacle things that just cropped up this page. Gives the brain a big ol' NOPE. Eels under the water appeared last page, this one has the tentacles.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
That's certainly not the revelation I was expecting.

lol we've all been had, what an amazing gag

the plot relies on sette's lifestyle choice of illiteracy

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Oh my god

_______ lmfao compulsion deez nuts duane _______

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Amazing

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Well just stop the comic here, it was all an incredible set up for this punchline

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
holy loving poo poo

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Well that was a helluva reveal.

I suppose the implication is either that Sette's never had *any* control over Duane, or (more likely) her influence over him is an innate ability of Sette's...

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

"dick...butt...?"

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
/\/\/\ you *cannot* be serious lmao

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Quinton posted:

Well that was a helluva reveal.

I suppose the implication is either that Sette's never had *any* control over Duane, or (more likely) her influence over him is an innate ability of Sette's...

I'm guessing it's one of these. I guess there's the slight possibility that it really does work, as there's nothing stopping someone from filling a pre-fab trinket with spellery or making it a pymaric if the right materials were used. I don't think I really believe that though.

I knew there had to be something going on in the new page for the thread to have like 10 whole new replies, lol, but I wasn't expecting the implications of an "oh poo poo" reveal like this!

Oxxidation posted:

"dick...butt...?"

lol

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

shirts and skins posted:

/\/\/\ you *cannot* be serious lmao

lmaoo

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
If Cope ended the comic right here as the biggest "better nate than lever" of all time, I wouldn't even complain

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I havent heard the name of that story in years, good memories. Love this twist.

Goatse James Bond posted:

the plot relies on sette's lifestyle choice of illiteracy

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'm still reeling

I was not prepared for Sette Frummagem's darkest hour to be so loving funny

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

....Huh.

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

This just came up on the Ask tumblr:

quote:

Didn't Duane have possession of the amulet a few times?

quote:

Of course. Which is why you should have known this was coming, if you didn’t :) Why would he have ever given it back to her if it was anything but a big old nothingburger. Duane can be a ditz, but he’s not a moron. Especially when it comes to pymary and pymarics.

But yes, the materials master scrutinized the thing the first time he saw it. Costume jewellery from Beadman’s. Gaudy, ugly, nickel-plated steel Black Tongue-themed nonsense Sette wore as a good luck charm or some such. The “Tainish” doesn’t even translate to anything, it’s scribbles. Mildly offensive, honestly, but common in Sharteshane.

Anyway, more details next page. I almost did a double update tonight but decided the next pair go better together.

Oh! Another clue that it was fake: Bastion can’t travel with anything but his body and his torc. So how’d he bring some super special amulet to podunk New Tawhoque, Sharteshane? I actually have waited years for someone to ask about this but no one ever did :( I even put him in his old first appearance outfit this chapter so close readers would realise that had been a glamour, he was naked in his first scene because he must have offset to get there, so the amulet must have come from somewhere local.

You failed me, readers! ;)

https://unsoundedcomic.tumblr.com/post/748432308679360512/didnt-duane-have-possession-of-the-amulet-a-few

Dammit, Cope.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

drat, it goes deeper than I thought. The first part is pretty cool.

However, I don't think the "Bastion couldn't have taken the amulet to Shartshane because he can't teleport items with him" thing is as much of a clue or a "gotcha" as she thinks it is though.

The dude could just travel like a normal person, or even easier have items shipped. Just because someone can do a thing doesn't mean that's all they can do.

Like I get why it makes sense to her, but there's little reason anyone should have come up with that who hadn't already thought of it first. I'm not getting an "aha!" moment out of that part.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

I don't even remember this thing getting passed around at all. Funny reveal tho

Edit: Also not sure it makes sense that Duane always knew it was costume jewelry. Doesn't it seem (esp in the bottom panels) like he's just now looking closely at it and reading the inscription? I can believe he'd sense nothing magical about it but it really does look like the amulet's exact degree of worthlessness is a very annoying revelation to him as well.

GunnerJ fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Apr 22, 2024

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Yeah, he looks surprised and angry, which is a weird reaction to have if this is nothing new to him. Unless the idea is that he has had some other revelation he hasn't shared with us yet.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Or maybe he just forgot about it, since he had no idea Sette was under the impression it was important. e: wait poo poo Duane doesn't forget things anymore does he?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Duane getting flustered at her claim to have used the amulet to control him ("Stop it! I don't know how you talked me into that, but...") seems to indicate that he's not entirely sure it can't control him, and is trying to deny it. Honestly a lot about this scene and Duane's responses don't add up if he always knew the amulet was junk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Ashley: Pretty surprising, huh?

Fan: Yeah! . . . Wait He's held it before, wouldn't he know this already?

Ashley: What?! Oh! Uh. . . He, er. . . H- He did know already! (Dammit!)