Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheats
Sep 28, 2007

strange sisters

Madrox posted:

No way. Duane's had too many visions of his little girl during stressful times for me to believe she's alive.

Here's one: http://www.casualvillain.com/Unsounded/comic/ch05/ch05_44.html
And another: http://www.casualvillain.com/Unsounded/comic/ch03/ch03_36.html

And he gets really upset when little girls are threatened or hurt (like Sette, or the girl left behind on the altar by the Red Berry Boys). Granted, that's a reasonable response, but it's also foreshadowing.

These are some of the reasons I've started to suspect that Mikaila is dead, but the rest of Duane's family survives. All his guilt seems to be centered on her. So he can't really return to his family not only because he's gross as heck but also because Makaila is dead, probably because of something he did. If this is true, it might also partly explain his ongoing patriotism. It's his family he's missing, not just Alderode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheats
Sep 28, 2007

strange sisters

I think you'll find that those puppies were Crescian spies.

Wheats
Sep 28, 2007

strange sisters

It seems most likely to me that Cresce had nothing to do with this, and someone in Alderode is attempting to incite support for a war with Cresce by committing a murder that will shock people enough to bring together Aldish Ssaelit and Gefendurs against Crescians. Like Gabriel Pope said, it's a tone-deaf message, but maybe it's supposed to be.

Wheats
Sep 28, 2007

strange sisters

TheFuzzyLumpkin posted:

Given the evident fractionalism in Alderode, I think that's pretty unlikely. It's way more likely strategic interior forces want to provoke unrest to seize power in some manner. I'd put money on Duane's assassination resulting in Gold/Ssaelit riots, which then give Gefender/other castes an excuse to crack down on them, further weakening their political position.

We can already see that the Gefendur are making moves to disturb the balance of shared power, that's the whole reason Bodie had his Bright Idea and Duane cracked him one, and we have ample evidence of caste-based racism in general.

The Gefendur are suspects, but there's also two prominent rebel groups in Alderode; there are the March, who want a more equitable society and whose members were getting merrily roasted on Duane's commute, and the Mmamont, who are a radical group of Golds who want a return to the pre-caste environment. Whether or not the Black Tongues have any stake in Aldish politics still remains to be seen.

This reeks of something internal.

This is all true, but we know that in the present-day, just six years later, Alderode and Cresce are at war again. Wartime requires a united front against a common enemy, and Ashley Cope has described Alderode as a country ruled by two opposing religions united by their fear of outsiders. I think someone is using that fear.

Wheats
Sep 28, 2007

strange sisters

This tumblr post actually explains some of her intentions with Murkoph. If you don't trust her to continue to handle her story after how well done this chapter has been, I don't know what to tell you.

Wheats
Sep 28, 2007

strange sisters

I started reading the non-comics materials after the first time the thread started proclaiming the comic totally ruined by Murkoph's presence. Everything I've seen has led me to believe that she is not, in fact, going to throw away the story we've been seeing so far to turn it into a rape-murder party because she's a drooling fangirl. A lot of the fans of her older stuff are pretty creepy, but as far as I can tell she's not any weirder than a lot of nerds. I don't like the character either but the amount of hand-wringing that goes on in the thread every time he's on a page is kind of ridiculous.

Wheats
Sep 28, 2007

strange sisters

Regallion posted:

I have not noticed on first viewing, but the 3 interrogators have balls and dicks fully drawn, what the gently caress.

Cope talked about this on her Q&A tumblr, it's a deliberate choice to emphasize Vienne's humanity vs the men torturing her.

Ashley Cope posted:

I was also determined to give Vienne her dignity and not objectify her. That was part of the reasoning for making the torturers monsters, so that she was all the more human and real in contrast. She’s the one with dignity. They’re the ones with their nuts hangin’ out and their tongues lolling. It’s probably too over-the-top but I get petty and mad when I’m irritated by the injustices of the world, I guess :)

Wheats
Sep 28, 2007

strange sisters

I'd had some suspicion about what exactly Duane was intended for, and based on this page, I'm pretty certain that Duane was supposed to be a biological weapon to spread the Weeping Plague, probably to the Gefendur in Alderode. Mikaila unintentionally messed up the process. Because Lem wasn't part of the attack and she didn't know he was involved, he's still got her trust and can raise her as a tiny religious fanatic just like him.

Wheats
Sep 28, 2007

strange sisters

Lemuel was the one who asked Duane to bring Mikaila to the temple that day, was he hoping seeing her dad get murdered would radicalize her? What a cool uncle! :thumbsup:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheats
Sep 28, 2007

strange sisters

Honestly this is a big part of what I like about Unsounded. It asks questions about agency and guilt and atonement, and then tests your commitment to the answers by throwing you characters who are mega assholes in unending variations.