Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crisco Kid
Jan 14, 2008

Where does the wind come from that blows upon your face, that fans the pages of your book?
I'm a bit surprised the latest foray into disturbing territory has turned so many readers off, readers who presumably were okay with the child sacrifice/molestation/fever dream segment from earlier in the comic. Then again, I read a lot of horror and dark fantasy, so I'm finding it pretty easy to roll with the current storyline -- none of this would be out of place in any of the short anthologies I've bought lately, and I forget that might be jarring for some. But it's also apparent to me the author is intentionally going for disturbing, so it's not like she doesn't know how creepy the situations and images are.

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

It's a very noticeable "vibe" IMO, you can feel the deviantart in this comics blood pretty much. I mean a lot of stuff that many readers have no problem with stand out to me as being structured like fan-fiction concepts and DM exposition. Her rendering is really good and there is tons of vision displayed in the design (the current environment's probably be my favorite) but I'm not really holding out much hope for this not being incredibly cringe inducing on the characterization / plotting front.
This is super interesting to me (though it might be a better discussion for the general Webcomic or Making Comics thread?) because I know what you mean by the self-indulgent flavors of fanfic or DMing, but I can't exactly pinpoint what those markers are. This makes me especially nervous as a creator, since there's an aspect of self-indulgence in any art a person makes, and you want to like your characters and plots a lot, so how can you know when you've crossed that invisible line? Most people don't seem aware when they're doing it, so I'm afraid of not being able to recognize that in my own work.

Crisco Kid fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Feb 21, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crisco Kid
Jan 14, 2008

Where does the wind come from that blows upon your face, that fans the pages of your book?

Cat Mattress posted:

The main difference was that the culprits in the previous segment didn't have an aura of "author's pet" and a long series of comments from the fandom going along the lines of "he's so sexy, I wish he'd eat *me*~". This is the kind of subtle, little difference that separate "these characters are horrible and I hope they'll be stopped by the heroes" from "this author is disturbed and I'll stop reading this story" -- an important difference!
Ah. It's probably just as well I never read the comments, then.

Crisco Kid
Jan 14, 2008

I've been aware of Murkoph and Sette for a long time based on Ashley's other works, but in the context of Unsounded itself, he's only been in a handful of pages and his face is visible in all of two. Two pages. I get that people are extrapolating based off a ton of information from outside the comic, but we don't know how much of that is relevant in the Unsounded universe or storyline. Everything ya'll are worried about may indeed come to pass, but so far in the work itself we have very little information except a villainous character tricked Sette and is actually a bad, creepy dude. It's pretty unfair to the comic to be drawing so many conclusions and speculating on motivation beyond that.

Crisco Kid
Jan 14, 2008

I will never not love that the dark and brooding undead protagonist is a dork essentially named "Dwayne."