Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

drat. Well here's to hoping that Sette sides with Duane and they get the hell out of there since everyone else seems to be playing them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

This may be a bit of the calm after the storm, but there is still so much tension, anyones guess is as good as mine as where this is going.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

A.o.D. posted:

Before the storm?

Yeah I don't know why I typed that incorrectly. The smoke eels on today's page look pretty cool, but I know it means some bad stuff did or is going to go down on that boat.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Dias posted:

Yep. When your other marquee protagonist started out dead, who's to say Sette's plot-armor doesn't have some chinks?

She's probably fine tho. Unlike Matty. Matty's dying. :getin:

I'd give him another 20 or so years tops.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

I think why I dislike Murkoph is because he is such a two dimentional character in a story full of interesting well written ones. Almost all of the characters have a ton of unanswered questions, but at least they have motivation and give you some reason to care about them, be it caring if they succeed or fail. I don't even care if he fails, like Starfish for example, I just want him gone, or preferably never there in the first place.

Based on comments on the site and the A/T tumblr, it seems like most of the people that claim to like him only do so because he's supposedly Ashley's favorite and they want to be the best fanboy or girl they can.

Maybe deep in Ashley's mind or in some notebook somewhere there is a reason for him to be there, or it will come up later. I'm sure something will, but I am not convinced right now that it will be a satisfactory one. Maybe it will be and I will eat my words, but as it is now there is only one reason I can figure he is there and it isn't good for the story. I know the comic is based around Ashley's old roleplays and her characters from it, but that doesn't mean the comic needs to involve all of them. Esecially not if she has to shoehorn one in just because she especially likes him.

It's not even that his creepyness or whatever botheres me, it's that he just seems like a poor, uninteresting character that is taking time and pages away from more interesting ones and better story lines. Whenever I see him I find myself thinking "ugh I hope I don't have to put up with him for too long before we get back to the good stuff I actually care about".

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

It was stated that there will only be several more pages in the chapter, and Quigley won't be in this one (unless that changed), so even if he does come looking for Matty we likely won't see it for a month or more until after the break. Duane is all locked up for the night, so he is out. Sette is still close by, she might help her new recruits out of the bind she just put them in, but I don't see her helping out a cop out of the goodness of her heart, especially one that wanted to put her in jail before.

Captain Toma is the only character we know that would have any obvious reason to come by the police station and have any real motivation to save Elka. Every other character we have met is either missing the ability, motivation, location, or knowledge of what is happening to do much.

It looks like Elka's last move was to try to help save the kids using some sort of water spell but the effect still seems ambiguous. It appears that Jivi and Matty are falling or slipping, so did she try to make the guard slip but miss, get the kids to slip out of the way of the sword, turn the ground into water so the kids could fall through it to somewhere safer below, or something else? I guess we have to wait until Monday to find out, which still isn't as bad as the much longer wait comming up soon.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Elan (the sickly peaceguard) is way too cowardly and nervous. Toma might be finished with his business by now, or at least soon enough to save Elka from execution, even if he doesn't get there "now". If anything that is more convenient (as far as writing goes) since he is the only person with big motivation to save Elka, like I said on the last page.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Sette, throwing away the pie Duane left for you just because you feel guilty for the things you have done to him isn't going to make him feel better. Assuming the bed roll and pie really were Duane's doing. This comic makes me suspicious of almost everything now, especially since up until this update everything was going bad for almost anyone we had seen in a while.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Everything left on a cliffhanger? I'm not suprised but yes it will be a long couple of months. There is the consolation prize of the new "Ask Duane and Sette" tumblr at least. There used to be one on formspring before that site went to hell, so interesting to see that there will be a new one during the break. http://unsoundedask.tumblr.com/ Basically just a place to ask questions where the author cherry picks them and answers in the voice of the characters. Hopefully an amusing tide over.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

VictorGrunn posted:

Sette and Duane, what are your favorite colors?

Duane: MMMPMH! RRRRMMMMPGH!

Sette: *zzzzzzzmmmedaaintsobadideservedthatknockonnamouthzzzzzz*

Repeat for the rest of the questions.

You sound like a blast at parties. Seriously though hopefully it won't just be that.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Where is this from?

Also Duane doing his old job as a scribe as his nightmare along with his interactions with others was pretty funny, especially considering how dark and horrible things have been in the story lately (but done well, I'm not complaining, it's Unsounded, it comes with the territory).

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

NoPe

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Rannos22 posted:

I think I'm going to have to re-read this whole thing from the very start because I've had no clue what's going on and/or why pretty much since this chapter started. Am I missing like some essay she releases with each page that explains what's going on or something?

It is a good re-read, I've done it before. While not exactly an essay, quite a few questions get answered on the tumblr link at the bottom of the main page. It is almost entirely an ask/tell style so not too tumblrish so there is still some crap but it is not too bad. Most of the stuff is either about that days page or the world and characters in general, so there can be some good explanations and borderline inside info.

For instance, someone commented about the great expressions Stockyard is making on the current page and Ashley said he is going to be making some more great ones in pages later on in the chapter, which leads me to beleive he is going to survive this fight with Toby. I suppose it could just be him going through a painful death, but who knows. Point being is it usually itsn't too spoilery beyond providing something for speculation.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

We've seen all his layers, and he's pretty well fleshed out. He's just a very gray character.

I like this, especially coming from the Space Ghost av, and read it in his voice.

Also the whole "Murkoph is Ssael" always seemed originally more like a troll thing that people just got on board with because they figured any theory is better then nothing or people just grasping at straws to make some sort of connection with the whole hidden universe of the comic.

Anyhow, if someone were to toxx themself and say he is or isn't, it probably wouldn't matter because it will be so long before we would find out anyhow that everyone would forget.

The point is, all narration in the comic should be read as Space Ghost.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Oxxidation posted:

Ssael was a man marked by a lion, leaving three claw-marks on his face. He is said to have overthrown the gods and now exists undying in the khert to welcome anyone else who ventures there. If you strip away all the adoration and pixie dust (especially the "overthrew the gods" bit, since the only confirmed deity is Ilganyag, whom both Ssaelites and Gefendur think is a fairy tale), Murkoph does fit the bill.

I know all of this, but it still seems like a 1+2=4 because people want answers where they aren't yet. Maybe it is right, maybe it is wrong. Maybe in the Unsounded universe 1+2 does equal 4. Maybe Space Ghost is cool (this is the only thing I am sure of).

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Gabriel Pope posted:

He deserves a hand for that zinger.

Don't get too attached.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Names, technicalities, and universe specific things aside, I think that sounds pretty accurate, and a rather concise summary.

Filling in the blanks:

A core leech basically causes the khert to no longer recognize a material and therefore remove it from existance in order to "clean up" the world of things that should not belong. In this case, Duane is trying to remove the human flesh that is part of the first silver beast.

Lizzard guy is Cutter aka Delicieu formerly of the Red Berry Boys but now unveiling his bigger plans, Black Tongue ties, and hints at his true self. Bad heart guy is Elan Aled, cowardly member of the Crescian Peaceguard. White hair guy is Mathis Quigley, rogue wright mercenary and Alderlode expatriate.

I also have trouble telling how people are getting where they are, nor could I draw a map of where everyone is if I wanted to, but yes, some of them are on a boat. *cue song*

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Roland Jones posted:

That is fair, but she's putting the blame on people for being upset at someone who was trashing the place and saying "well if you all can't be mature enough to accept his immaturity you don't deserve a comments section", which is ridiculous. Making it into a matter of free speech is particularly ludicrous.

"I can't ban the by far and away worst commenter on my sight that has hijacked the comments section and almost single handedly made them unbearable because of free speech!" *Threatens to take down the otherwise good other then that one person and the responses comment section as a solution, completely forgets the free speech argument* I usually just skip the lousy comments section that has been taken hostage and just check out the ama questions on the tumblr, where you can actually learn some things.

As for things that are actually cool, Duanes confetti attack and the faces in the last panel are hilarious.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Drunk Theory posted:

Yep. Quigley seems like a talented wright who married a brilliant researcher. Problem is he's been dealing with Rahm and Duane, both of which slightly outclass him in the spellcaster side of things.

The way I understood it from reading some of the Ask/Tells is that Quigley is pretty badass, but Duane is just about the biggest badass we have seen. Rahm was able to subdue Quigs not exactly because he is better, but more due to being on his home turf in his workshop full of boobytraps, and also not being bad either. Plats apparantly tend to make good natural wrights, but are especially encouraged to do so because they have the longest casting range out of anyone (both for where they cast at and pulling out aspects to cast with) and that makes them particularly handy in as soldiers in Alderodes long standing war with Cresce.

It seems like if Rahm didn't have his traps and bird pymarics, and Quigley had his bug cloak (the swarm), the fight probably would have gone in Quigley's favor. Duane apparantly usually beats anyone unless he is way outnumbered / overly worried about protecting someone / isn't shooting himself in the foot by limiting himself to core techniques and trying to give a fair fight even when his opponents aren't.

Agreed that the chapter has been pretty good other then some of the slightly confusing over packed action sequences. I'm looking forward to seeing some down time and some dialogue to let some of the characters sort misunderstandings and things out. Of course sorting out misunderstandings isn't exactly common in Unsounded it seems. Maybe at least Sette can get a moment to get someone to read those letters from her dad to Stockyard to fill things in a bit.

Also Matty is still the best.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Well the last we saw Toma was on a riding dog being carried to safety off a waterfall by Elka, so, hopefully they are out on the road fleeing and possibly looking for medical attention.

More likely they are going to tough it out and try to do something about the treason at hand.

Also, while this look into Cresce is interesting, I am looking forward to seeing what our main cast is up to, since it has been months!

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Ashley has said more then once before that in Alderode they would use the fancier "Do-ann" pronunciation but the southern countries we have encountered would usually go with "Dwayne".

If you have ever heard her pronounce most of her made up words, many of them don't sound like what most people would think based on the way she spells them, which is, whatever I guess.

She also has said "say stuff however you want I'm not worried about it" so it's not like she is fuming over people not pronouncing her fantasy words with unintuitive spelling the way she does.

I'm not sure why she does it but she has definately put a bunch of thought in to it.

Another one that bugs me, apparantly "Khert" is "Zurt" or something.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Cat Mattress posted:

Sette could also be a senet beast.

Unless the cut and dry pymary rules Ashley set up herself and follows pretty closely are going to get broken, I doubt this.

Ashley said wrights can't directly cast on first materials / senet beasts, and that Duane directly casts on Sette to heal her, and even uses the tanish word for "human flesh" when casting to do so. This page and the one after it go over it, and Ashley referenced it on tumblr.
http://www.casualvillain.com/Unsounded/comic/ch11/ch11_16.html

Still no idea what Sette is exactly, but not a senet beast unless she is "the super most special one of all ever who can break all the rules" which i guess, but would be lame and unlikely.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

akulanization posted:

Just a minor thing: you can do magic on first materials, but normally it requires direct contact and a special tool to put the spells into the first material. The whole reason the gang is heading to this temple is to use one of these machines to fix Uaid's leg since Rahm's smaller one couldn't handle the job. Sette being a "first human" with common spells already burned into her is a real stretch though.

Yeah they can burn spells into first materials with a spellburner or whatever to make pymarics and stuff. But otherwise the reason that, say, Toma has a first material sword is specifically because it is a pymary blocker. You can't just cast directly on it on the spot, and I think he used it to block some spells, if I remember correctly.

More importantly to Sette not being a senet beast, the senet beasts have their own khert, so they are basically their own little world, and can't be directly casted on. Like, a wright could gather heat aspect and make a fireball and throw it at a senet beast, but couldn't cast directly on it. In practice it can be almost the same results, but, for Duane casting directly on Sette to heal her, it matters, especially since he has to use the exact name of the material he is casting on, human flesh.

What really are these characters exactly, and how do others react to them? It's a common theme in the story. Are Duane and Timmofey really alive? Is one but not the other? Is "alive" just semantics? Are Sette's mutations just a glitch in the khert when she was created, or something else? Not as much of a mystery, but, how people treat and react to these unique characters (among others) also seems pretty central to the story. The last few pages with the water woman Minnow is pointing at this theme again.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

idonotlikepeas posted:

* The unconscious dude that the snakeman is carrying around in his backpack is Roger Foi-Hellick, the youngest and most recent husband of the Queen of Cresce, Sonorie. He's an Aldish expat like Quigley, and pretty much everyone in Cresce is upset about her marrying him. It turns out she was only doing it to have the evil snakeman mine his soul for information on how the special Aldish khert works so that they can more effectively annihilate them. We just got introduced to all these people not long ago so we don't care much except that this is a super, super lovely thing to do to a person.

This might be right, but it also seems possible from what we have seen of her that the queen might not be entirely knowledgable about all of this. General Bell definately has his own agenda going on behind her back for one. I wouldn't expect evil snake man and weasel lawyer friend that claim the black tongue leader that was opposing them totally just happened to kill himself to be the pinnacle of honesty, and they are the only source of information we have on this so far.

I'm not commiting one way or another, but it does seem quite a few people seem to claim to be acting in accordance to the queens wishes as a cover story while just doing whatever they want and presenting their own version of events.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Roland Jones posted:

Hilariously (or at least moreso), judging from the conversations over the past few pages, his first name is "Darkest", on that topic. Which kind of makes me wonder if that's his given name, or if he actually changed his first name to "Darkest". (Or perhaps everyone's assuming it has to be his first name because no one would be so lame as to declare themselves "Darkest Paul".)

From Ashley's tumblr, yeah, he totally called himself that. Not a given name, not a given nickname, just thought it was cool and did it himself.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Duane lost an arm, but, I guess he wasn't all that attached to it.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Assuming the current popular theory that Roger is making a willing sacrifice, consider how big of one it is.

He's of the aldish copper caste, so from the looks of him he probably has another 200-300 years to live, that he won't be seeing.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Tollymain posted:

also those memories of his that ruck's eating? they're gone, forever, lost to the khert. its unclear how important that actually is (the khert seems to just record human memories, whatever it does probably doesnt make a difference to the dead) but every culture believes the khert is their afterlife/reincarnation checkpoint. to them, ruck is literally eating their souls

Sort of? They concept is their memories get left in the khert, but their soul moves on in reincarnation.

This is how they get memories to make pymarics and also why reincarnated people don't remember their past lives.

I suppose it is possible that Kasslynians might believe snake-man venom also messes up your soul, but I don't remember reading that.

As far as I can tell, the soul is all that would be left, the mind would be empty.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

SlothfulCobra posted:

Unsounded is just the weirdest fantasy world. Even if you don't go looking for all the extra information, it's very clearly a very unique setting.

It really is and Ashley spending years roleplaying in this world she created for herself and her friends really helps to cement the believability of the characters and setting. It leaves me with a strong sense of the author knowing what they are doing and where they are going.

Also as for extra information, the Unsounded tumblr is the only tumblr I read and the only comic I go out of my way to check out extras. I mean it's not mandatory but with how fleshed out everything seems to be in Ashley's mind, there's so many good questions that get answered and details about characters background or setting info that I can't imagine not reading it after having done so for so long.

Tollymain posted:

idk if id call anybody in this comic happy and fun

except ruffles

Matty seems happy and fun, or at least incredibly positive considering all he has been through. Or at least between his bouts of constantly being disappointed by his dad and everyone around him, but I guess that's what happens when you are optimistic to a fault. He's basically the opposite of his dad.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

I thought the same, considering how identical the questions about making art in Cresce were.

I also remember Ashley saying that doing art, or pretty much whatever that's legal is okay to spend free time there, so there wouldn't be a complete lack of armature stuff of varying quality. I'm pretty sure I also remember her saying that if you are into it enough, good enough, and most importantly know the right people, job changes occasionally happen. As long as you do your regular job though, I don't think there's anything stopping you from making a painting on the side or whatever as long as you have access to supplies.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I'm not 100% convinced but I'm not 0% convinced either.

Same, though it is the right color of pymary, and at least in the poor lighting looks roughly like her skin tone.

Hard to say with whoever it is being so bundled and wrapped up.

I think the pymary color sells it the most to me though, since that has always been a defining characteristic for the named reoccurring characters.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

It does seem like a bit too much going on all at once. It can take quite a while to get back to a storyline when you have so many subplots at the same time.

Off the top of my head, currently ongoing plots or groups (even if they are somehow intertwined), I can think of:

1. Duane and Sette
2. Quigly Matty and Jivi
3. Bastion and Timofey
4. Cutter and the silver
5. Ana and Knock
6. Toma and Elka
7. The Queen, Roger, her court, and Ruck
8. The Black Tongues and Ruck
9. Nary and Beadman
10. Bell and his revolution
11. Lady I

Also this chapter we have had

12. Bastion Deliceu and Cutter flashbacks
13. A diplomatic mission followed by an assassination
14. Some new characters at the shrine
15. Probably some stuff I forgot

Even if you cut it down to locations of character groups currently interacting you have:

1. The Shrine
2. The Silver
3. The Crescian capital
4. The Shartshane capital
5. The Black Tongue hangout

Also I think Cope said the next chapter is going to be an Alderode flashback (at least partially) so be ready to put even more on hold while we jump somewhere else.

Don't get me wrong, I love this comic, but I totally get why it is so much to process. The Q&A tumblr actually helps me quite a bit with keeping track of what's up.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Gally posted:

Also a few people I've shown the comic to don't want to read it because they don't like Sette which is a terribly wrong opinion but that is probably pretty common.

Tollymain posted:

my roommate checked out after like 3 pages for that reason

Cat Mattress posted:

Sette is really unbearable in the intro chapter. That can create a bad first impression if you don't have much tolerance for stories about obnoxious brats.

I've seen it recommended multiple times to just skip the first chapter and go back and re-read it. I can't argue, it works better as a flashback. After reading through the story, you get to know Sette more, and I think she becomes reasonably understandable and even likeable. If it wasn't for this advice, I would have skipped the comic entirely, which would have been a shame because it is really good.

Hitting the reader straight up head on at the beginning with "look at this obnoxious annoying brat of a main character, you wanna invest your time dealing with this? read on!" out of context seems like one of the best way to drive off readers possible.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Also, the above stated denseness of the comic is definitely a thing. While its true that the comic stands up on its own, it feels like following the tumblr is almost required reading if you want to even half know what is going on. I appreciate it being there, but it's strange to feel the need to read a steady stream of Ashley saying "Actually what I meant was..."

Having the whole Undsounded universe fleshed out in her head from years of roleplaying makes for a very unique and interesting setting with unique and interesting characters.

It also can leave a bit of unsatisfying emptiness where the reader feels a bit left in the dark, with the constant refrain on tumblr of "oh I can't explain what is going on because the comic will get to it one day" when the artist freely admits that "one day" is often years down the road. I totally understand not wanting to throw out spoilers, but with so many characters, settings, and story lines, moving at such a slow pace, it can be frustrating.

Again, don't get me wrong, the comic is really good, probably my favorite one currently online, and I have much praise. However, while wanting to understand things sooner isn't the worst criticism out there, it being slightly more transparent would be nice.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

SlothfulCobra posted:

Is this comic in any danger from the Tumblr purge? The homepage became a tumblr a while back.

It is just a re-direct, Unsounded has a separate dedicated hosting. I don't know why the re-direct is a thing. The hosting is safe (as far as I know) and worst case scenario is the "ask" stuff would either go away or be hosted elsewhere (likely if need be).

I don't know all the ins and outs, I'm just a fan, but I wouldn't worry about it going anywhere, other then the imminent upcoming chapter break.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Child soldiers to the front lines for landmine duty. This can only end well. http://www.casualvillain.com/Unsounded/comic/ch14/ch14_28.html

Also it was said on the Q&A tumblr that the pivotal moment for Duane's assassination and zombification has already been drawn, and that the buffer is about 30something pages, so while it should come up sometime this chapter, I expect it to be vague and bringing up more questions then answers as usual.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

TheFuzzyLumpkin posted:

Anyone want to take bets on the countdown to Will getting his arm blown off and at least one of those plat kids experiencing a deeply unpleasant death? Five pages? Maybe six?

Will is currently drumming for the squad in comic now, we know gets his arm blown off (probably soon), so countdown until Duane's squad renames itself to Def Leppard?

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

If I remember correctly, the "finish line" is three "books" long. Conceptual books, not physical books.

I think the comic is roughly 3/4 of the way through book one from what the author has said, but the chapters keep getting longer.

Judging by copyright dates from the bottom of the first comic, it has been running for almost a decade. That sounds like it could be right from how long I have been reading, but maybe minus a year or two? Even the first post of this thread is six and a half years old.

So if the pace is kept we are looking at a 30ish or so year project for the "finish line" maybe? I definitely remember some "if I finish this story before I die" posts from Ashley.

I expect at least the first "book" to get finished considering the authors dedication to the comic, but even that is probably a couple of years out.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Also child death count at least one :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Yeah the captain side eyeing Duane then Duane and his brother giving each other that "really? these guys think gaging someone who can cast without speaking is gonna do poo poo?" look while keeping quiet is great.