Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Matlock Birthmark posted:

Neat, though another reminder that magic in this setting is freaking dangerous.

If your magic isn't insane, semi-sentient and/or crazy dangerous then you suck at fantasy world building!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Hmm save my son, eat this delicious lunch. Choices, choices.

Well, I can't save anyone on an empty stomach, now can I?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

reignonyourparade posted:

Yes I agree literally everyone in Unsounded except Matty is a bad person.

Countdown until Matty flips out and murders a room full of orphans.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

Uaid just thinks he can solve every problem by eating it.

In fairness, he hasn't really been wrong on that count so far.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Dyllyn posted:

How exactly does Toma know Matty? I must have missed it somewhere

Mostly here, and here.

They were never introduced, but he heard Matty's name several times.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Oh look, a shoe is dropping.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

This is gonna go twenty different kinds of horrible. People around Duane have had a pretty miserable track record for staying alive/in one piece when he's pissed off in their general vicinity.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Well, this is all going very horrible, very quickly.

FourLeaf posted:

Part of me is afraid Sette is payment to Starfish, didn't the author say he's a pedo?

He's something anyway. Did you miss he bit where he was chewing on Matty's hair during the warehouse fight?

http://www.casualvillain.com/Unsounded/comic/ch06/ch06_65.html

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

idonotlikepeas posted:

I appreciate the intent there, Sette, but you might have waited to do that until you had a chance to warn Duane.

She thought about it, but some things are just more important.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Rime posted:

Well, at least this confirms beyond reasonable doubt that Sette is an unreliable narrator with some pretty deep seated mental blocks / delusions going on.

It's not about delusions, it's about pickin' the best world!

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Dang, two more months to wait.

I really want to see Duane get medieval on some folks. Dude could really use a bit of serious and brutal catharsis.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Comic makes my skin crawl at times, and I love it.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Grognan posted:

squishies :3:

Duane's casual eloquence really is the best thing about this comic. He's such a lovable fop.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Quigley cares very little for the fate of random goons.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Roland Jones posted:

Matty was worried that Quigley was going to, and I quote, "kill everyone again" when he was locked up. Quigley's response indicated that it was still a possibility.

I wonder if Knock-Me-Down is dead or not. Her head wasn't pulverized like everyone else's, but she definitely doesn't appear to be conscious, at the least.

She's fine, or at least not dead. You don't have an establishing shot like that, especially when everyone else in the room is minus their head, unless the character is still alive.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Grognan posted:

Edit: With memories of his daughter and Sette.

I like that his most defining character trait is the love he has for his children. It's cool to see the motherhood trope inverted so adeptly.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Murkoph is rubbish, but after the amazing job she did down building up and paying off Stockyard's breakdown I'm more than willing to let Cope have her silly White Wolf reject. I can live with one cartoonish villain when the others are so well fleshed out.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Bad Seafood posted:

For how much he was built up, Stockyard certainly didn't hang around for too long.

Must you go straight to the gallows humor? Show some respect for the poor man!

Anyhoo, looking forward to the upcoming fight. The duel between Duane and Quigley was good fun, and now Duane has something more imposing than an anemic, whiny goth to square off against.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Flavahbeast posted:

coulda been part of a radical monster tho

Monster design is radical, being part of monster is probably not so radical.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Bad Seafood posted:

Starfish was never gonna die off-screen or just by happenstance. He's the arc villain.

We're probably gearing up for the climactic confrontation right now.

^

Unsounded my be a fairly bleak world, but it doesn't stray too far from its cliches. The evil silver mound is Duane's boss battle, Starfish is Sette's. Both will be dead by the end of this chapter.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Rannos22 posted:

Its because he's a level 12 enemy , duh.

Yeah, I figured that was a deliberate pun, but whatever, like her stupid pet vampire thing Cope has done well enough that she's earned room to put in some dumb stuff for the sake of pure indulgence.

Also, Duane needs to get off his rear end. I think this is the first time in the comic that anyone's managed to out monologue him. Fuckin' slacker.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Duane has always been pompous and verbose. Quigley comments on it after their duel.

http://www.casualvillain.com/Unsounded/comic/ch05/ch05_44.html

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Oct 2, 2015

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

Duane was a martial pymary instructor back in Alderode. He is literally accredited in lecturing people while beating their asses.

Best wright in centuries! *Rainbows*

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Tollymain posted:

so uh, what's going outside of the continent then

isn't the khert basically the underlying code of reality, to use an awful overused metaphor

does the world just recede into endless sea?

If I recall, that's one of the big mysteries of the setting. Kasslyne exists as an isolated landmass, and exploration beyond it is difficult because traveling outside the Khert is deadly to hoomans.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Poor Duane, it's hard to deliver eloquent monologues when your jaw is literally coming undone.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

He got to kill those random mooks that one time. I smashed dem good!

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Looking forward to another Duane flashback. While still alive, he was an avatar of flamboyant bombast, and it's always great to watch.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Dec 21, 2018

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Tollymain posted:

hes not any different while dead hes just trying and failing to keep a low profile

Dead Duane is half bombast, half angst. I want all bombast, all the time.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

man this chapter's going to just be a continuous reminder that duane's patriotic duty consisted mainly of training and deploying child soldiers, isn't it

It's been a while since we got a good reminder about how messed up Duane patriotism makes him, so yeah, I expect every kid will die horribly.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Probably another reason the blood mines go off so slowly. It's horrible enough for the victim sure, but then you've also got the added trauma for all his friends who watch him swell up and burst over the span of several eternal seconds.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

That could've gone better.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

That's good stuff. Character building should happen in every scene. Every writer knows this, but it is hard to pull off in practice and Cope did a good job of it here.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Jun 26, 2019

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Yeah, I figured it was done to avoid abject bad taste.

But oh man, if this comic goes full-on Zombie of Monte Cristo and Lem has been raising Mikala this whole time that would be nuts.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

That is hilariously detailed, especially the "don't stick your dick in it," part.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Duane about to start. Some. poo poo.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I mean, murdering children is a pretty good way to get most anyone to go off, let alone Duane.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I took that more as her criticizing the essentialism that already exists in fiction, and its tendency to run screaming from anything traditionally coded as feminine.

That too many stories don't know how to make a woman—or a man for that matter—display strength without grabbing them in toxic masculinity.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Motherfucker posted:

Quigs knows whats up. Moderation is for people who won't die in thirty years.

Seriously, if I knew I was doomed to >30 years I'd be drunk or high drat near all the time.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

A.o.D. posted:

I guess that's one way to admit that you have a substance dependancy problem.

If I was stuck with a few decades while some of my contemporaries were settling into their second century? Hell yeah, I'd have a substance problem. A whole bunch of 'um. It's a little shocking that most of the Plats we've seen are studious and temperate. I'd expect a lot more ennui or outrage, though I guess their county's indoctrination probably has a lot to do with that.

Me? I'd be drunk as a sunk and getting in bullshit mage-duels all over the place like an anime viking-wizard. If the price for having innate access to the universe's cheat-codes is not getting enough time to enjoy it, then I would want to cram as much hedonism as I could into that tiny window.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

This setting really isn't very kind of children.