Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
I'm pretty sure she's still his girlfriend. Or, at least, he'd like her to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

I think the only questions at this point are how long we will be forced to wait for his brutal, gory murder and who gets to pull the trigger on it.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Unsounded is one of my favorites. I've even come to terms with Murkoph after watching how the author handles him. And being a serial reader isn't even that hard, really, or at least I've never had a lot of difficulty with it. The comic updates three times a week, pretty solidly; if it's fewer times, it's because we got multiple updates on one day. The only fly in the ointment is the between-chapter breaks, and we've got about a hundred pages before another one of those comes up (according to her estimate of the page count for this chapter on Tumblr). I mean, we're only in chapter ten, so there's been a maximum of nine of those breaks so far across the entire comic.

I do know that Ashley gets frustrated about it updating the way it does, but she has (very well-founded) fears that if she closed up shop for a few months and released an entire chapter all at once she'd lose most of her readers, and she kind of needs us to give her money so she can keep eating, so.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

I think it's more mixed than that. Pretty sure that everything that happened with Lemuel was straight-up memory (with a dollop of crazy, because he was actually crazy at the time). The stuff with Leysa was obviously not genuine memory but more like an exposition of his feelings (i.e. guilt).

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

The ending we all want is, really, for Duane to come back to life and hang out with his family again. We also all know that is never, ever going to happen. And honestly, if it did, we'd probably feel a bit cheated.

I think in the end Duane will accomplish some big noble things and eventually go to his rest fulfilled. That's probably the best ending we can hope for for him.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

I have faith that someday, there will be bloody vengeance.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

He has been waiting his whole life to get a vision of the khert. This is very literally him dying and going to heaven.

Imagine what he'll think when he notices Murkoph.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

I was thinking more "but rotting corpses are supposed to be about the most unholy thing ever, what the hell is he doing in heaven".

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

I've been wondering if it's Cutter.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

She likes him as a character, but is well aware he's a jerk who deserves to be beaten badly.

I suspect he'll contribute more to the comic once he eventually escapes the khert, which we know must eventually happen.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Autonomous Monster posted:

You know, Cutter could be Delicieu himself. He's a psychopath with an obsession with pain and spellcraft other wrights don't recognise. And it'd be the perfect position from which to micromanage the scheme without drawing too much attention.

I've just been assuming this was the case for a while.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

I believe we're a little over halfway through the first book (of three), so in other words more like 1/6th or maybe approaching 1/5th of the way through the story.

That said, I expect that the First Silver Plot and related stuff is really pretty much just book one.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Yeah, definitely. We know what was being carried, but WHY and for whom and what are they planning next? And will our protagonists actually be motivated to do anything about it? Are we ever going to see Duane kick Nary's rear end? Many questions.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

tentacles posted:

Just waiting for the reveal that Delicieu is Quigley's dead wife now (because Ashley)

idonotlikepeas posted:

I've been wondering if it's Cutter.

I think I'm allowed to feel a little proud of myself for guessing this back in April.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

All pymarics eventually get infested with ghosts from the khert, and that includes Boo. It just turns out that the ghost-memories he's infested with are happy and adventurous ones as opposed to the horrifying mess that Cutter has been using to power his WMD.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

These links contain spoilers about Dawn's likely fate:

http://unsoundedcomic.tumblr.com/post/129054165395/
http://unsoundedcomic.tumblr.com/post/129547616755/

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Flesh Forge posted:

WHAT THE gently caress IS HAPPENING IN THIS COMIC :confused:

A boss fight! With a monster literally made out of human misery.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

What an extraordinarily satisfying panel.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Poor Sette really loves her lovely dad.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Duane thinks it's inappropriate, so it might be a bit stronger than that.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

I actually am pretty interested. Who do we think all these people are? Some of them are strangers. And those wings are loving boss.

The fact that Ashley built the buffer up that far probably gives you an idea of how long the next chapter is; in general, it takes more than a week to draw a week of Unsounded, so she builds up the buffer to whatever level is necessary to make it through the next chapter without having any breaks or missed days. She doesn't like the breaks any more than anybody else, but it's that or go to twice a week (which would be excruciating).

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

The people in Kasslyne believe that the khert created everything. That does not necessarily mean that their beliefs are accurate.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Bad Seafood posted:

Either or.

I dunno, just feels a step removed from "Bad guy licks the blade of his knife to show he's twisted," so on some level I wanna feel like there's at least a little bit more to it than that. It's fine if there isn't though.

Based on his expression, I'd say you're right. He doesn't seem particularly gleeful about it.

Captain Bravo posted:

Huh, does that mean that magical flight would be impossible as well? If it's simply an issue of how far away from the ground you are, that would imply that any pymary you take a few hundred feet off the earth would begin to fail, right?

Yes. I believe Ashley has said that it's really about how far you are from the ground of Kasslyne, too, so even if you were to walk along the bottom of the ocean somehow the khert would still run out as you got further away from it.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

of course he's naked under the thing

It's come up on Ashley's Q&A thing. He's obligated to teleport mostly naked - he can bring along one pymaric (possibly because it's involved in the teleportation; she won't explain how he does that using pymary in the first place). He stuffs it full of visible aspects so that he can use it to create the appearance of clothes, but he ends up having to spend a lot of time naked if he wants to travel places quickly.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Actually, his introduction was saving a little girl from the plague in Fachlyne.

She ran off from where he left her, and got picked up by the Red Berry Boys afterward. (He might still have been involved in that, but we don't know.)

When Duane finds her in the cave after Cutter's done half his work on her (he was interrupted before the actual silver implantation), she thinks he's Bastion, and that's when we find out what he said to her.

And then, of course, we see him again in a flashback. This is the first time we see his face, and he gives Sette a certain object:

Later, we find out how he acquired Elan's cooperation:

And then, of course, we find out that he's the source of Timofey and his poetic disposition:

Bastion's been hanging around the story for a while. Just not IN it, per se.

idonotlikepeas fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Mar 15, 2016

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Basically, being a wright is like being a computer programmer, except instead of compiler errors everyone dies horribly.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Yeah, I've wondered from time to time if she was stuck in the same situation that Duane is. I mean, she clearly got stabbed, but we don't see her after that, and Lemuel discouraged him from investigating further by saying she was already dead and burnt. Lem also kept him away from his family, so he wouldn't have seen anything that happened there. The narrative also establishes that she is both an innate and a tacit caster, so she qualifies for the same procedure Duane underwent.

Also, at this point it would be really shocking if Lemuel were NOT involved in the assassination.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Fabricated posted:

Mikaila is dead according to Ashley- her body was burned before Duane's.

Unless I missed something in the Q&A tumblr, all we know for sure is that Lemuel told Duane that. And Lem is, as we've just been discussing, an extremely untrustworthy individual.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Duane is a high-placed and well-liked Ssaelit official, who was on track for even further promotion up until he punched an rear end in a top hat politician in the face. Duane's brother probably believes in Alderode, or Ssael, or both, enough to sacrifice his brother if he believes that's what's required to save everyone else. The false flag was specifically directed at Cresce and Gefendur.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Specifically, the killing was cast as Crescian Gefendur trying to encourage their Aldish counterparts to ditch the whole "living together in peace and harmony" thing and attack their Ssaelit brethren. As is the usual procedure in false flag operations, the idea is to encourage the exact opposite thing to happen, since the people you don't like theoretically want it.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

I can't imagine not pronouncing it "Setty", although I had no idea on Duane until I listened to one of the audio files of her pronouncing it on her Q&A thing.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

If you want to hear her pronounce the names, you can get them in the video here:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/502093706/unsounded-comic-volume-1

Khert is pronounced /xert/ according to the wiki, which I believe would be a k-like sound (or more specifically the ch sound from "loch ness") followed by an e like "met" or "bed" with a terminal t sound. So more like kehrt, which I think lines up with the way I've heard her say it (although I can't dig up the audio right now).

EDIT: https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Wiktionary:IPA_pronunciation_key may be a useful resource if you see people write things like "/xert/".

idonotlikepeas fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Mar 26, 2017

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

The Kickstarter for Volume Three is up, if any of you fine people would like to support the comic and get goodies:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/502093706/unsounded-comic-volume-3

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

The Kickstarter just funded, so delivery is now guaranteed, just in case you were waiting around for that.

There's a stretch goal to reprint volume 2, too, so you may want to chip in if you don't have that one yet. And, of course, register your choice in the good pin vs evil pin battle royale going on over there.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Last day of the Unsounded Kickstarter! If you want either of those pins, you'd best get in on it now, because it appears they aren't going to be in the store.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/502093706/unsounded-comic-volume-3

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Motherfucker posted:

I wanna love whats happening but I'm honestly loving confused, its like the silver except instead of mystifying art its mystifying politics bullshit with a bunch've names I've only heard in dialogue and don't care about. Please bring back my zombie hasbando.

OK, here's the quick and dirty.

* The Terrible TItbird, Lady Ilganyag, used to pretty much run the Black Tongues by whispering weird secrets into their mind. Once Duane showed up, she stopped doing this. (Possibly because she was only hanging on until someone invented something like Duane.)
* The Black Tongues now don't know what the gently caress to do without her support. A faction of them has decided that an evil snakeman that can extract memories from your soul via its venom is an acceptable substitute.
* The guy being skeletonized in the background who was murdered totally committed suicide is the former leader of the Black Tongues, Ballanstern. Bastion speculates, almost certainly accurately, that he didn't like the idea of putting the organization in charge of an evil snakeman, and he was bumped off as a result. The skeletonization is just the usual funeral rite given to ex-Black-Tongue leaders.
* The unconscious dude that the snakeman is carrying around in his backpack is Roger Foi-Hellick, the youngest and most recent husband of the Queen of Cresce, Sonorie. He's an Aldish expat like Quigley, and pretty much everyone in Cresce is upset about her marrying him. It turns out she was only doing it to have the evil snakeman mine his soul for information on how the special Aldish khert works so that they can more effectively annihilate them. We just got introduced to all these people not long ago so we don't care much except that this is a super, super lovely thing to do to a person.
* This is all relevant to our interests because Duane is walking right into the middle of all this bullshit. He's a valuable product of Bastion's that most of the Black Tongues would love to examine, and by examine I mean dissect. He's an Aldish patriot even though they're all lovely garbage people. He's in Cresce right now. All of this terrible nonsense is going to come crashing down on his head, and we're just kind of getting a preview of it right now.
* Bastion would totally have five Linkin Park posters in his room, minimum.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

All Black Tongues actually get castrated. This requirement was apparently handed down by Lady I.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Ashley, on Patreon: "Also, whom do you reckon got opened up?"

She's not really even pretending that it's Bastion. Of course it's not Bastion. I figure it's between the lawyer and Paul. Probably the lawyer.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Roland Jones posted:

I mean, the guy's name is Darkest Paul. I certainly hope he's dead before the end of this because wow, what a dumbass. Who call themself that?

I want him to survive for precisely this reason. I need to know more about this incredible dumbass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

His line is "Here, do you see my little rape, spread-eagled, sticky on the counterpane?" Counterpane is an old-timey way of saying "bedspread". He is 100% referencing sexual rape and comparing what he's doing to Roger to that. It isn't literally sexual, but it might as well be. It's gross, and it's supposed to be.