Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
So I can't help but notice the red snakes. Duane talks about them, they show up around him later while he's lost control. They're coming out of people and seemingly being controlled by Quigley in his suicide run flashback. One appears and bites past-Duane when his daughter's spell goes awry. The vial given to Sette by Winalils is the same color red.

I'm mostly wondering if Mikaila's back-firing spell hurting Duane will mean more. Given how adept the artist has been about incorporating small but important details in various scenes I can't see the snake there as being inconsequential.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Uncanny timing.

I think Mikaila's about to make something go boom which probably won't bode well for anyone...

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
I'm thinking Murkoph's being there at each end of the Duane bit will simply be for juxtaposition. Settle has a similar (albeit way more tame) naive/nihilistic view of the world as Murkoph in that the world and the people in it are there to serve her purposes, whether for fun or profit. That's just how she was supposedly raised. See how she has treated Duane for most of the comic: as a tool and punching bag.

Murkoph is the same, just turned up to eleven. He views the world as his plaything, but instead of having mostly harmless fun he disregards anything and everything that doesn't keep him entertained in some way. Duane, on the other hand, was a highly moralistic man and loving father, husband, brother, and patriot.

Sette's jarring look into Duane as a good person and a tragic character, beside her experience with a sociopath that holds a similar view of the world as she does, is probably going to help her grow up a bit and realize she needs to be more aware of how she treats people/the world.

It'd be a ham-fisted way of doing it, but going about things in a somewhat obtuse manner is hardly unheard of in this comic.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Hopefully she doesn't get burnt out creating this comic if she's really planning on making that much material for it. I really enjoy it, especially re-reading it and noticing small details and background characters that make the comic and website richer.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Stockyard is also the one moving the half-dead first silver carriers, and I doubt he's oblivious as to what he's moving. I think he'll end up being every bit as complex as every other character in this comic.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

SlothfulCobra posted:

but she could probably live a normal life since the tip of one finger isn't that important.

But for a prostitute? That seems rather important! ("Just the tip" joke goes here)

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
I am less worried about Murkoph and more worried about the sustainability of the comic. These scenes with Murkoph seem to be simply here to introduce him as a villain we'll see later. His becoming a main villain or at least a major henchman for some greater evil has already been confirmed by the author, and considering he shows up right at the ramp-up to the climax of the current storyline is pretty telling. "Hey readers, this guy will be really important later!"

Yes he's shoehorned in right now but I think it was just a way for the author to introduce him early so his appearance later isn't so jarring or or out of place. The real point of Sette's foray into the khert was to humanize Duane for her. Murkoph's introduction and loving about was just an introduction of convenience so that the story could just keep rolling along after the affair with Stockyard and the first silver ends. That just seems to be Ashley Cope's style. One long continuous story.

Which brings me back to my worrying about sustainability. Cope clearly has very, very long-term plans for the comic. She's been at it for some time now already; I'm desperately hoping she doesn't get burnt out before she finds some conclusion for the whole comic (not just the whatever the current storyline is at the time she decides to call it quits).

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
When did Sette get so badass?

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
I dig the comic a lot but sometimes it moves at such a slow pace I forget the meaning of a lot of stuff.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
I thought Duane wasn't lucid the last time he was in the khert. So how does he remember the bird? From some other instance?

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

Thanks! This thread and you guys are the only way I can keep track of things. It's a big help.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

Pyradox posted:

...Murkoph is just cartoonishly evil. We haven't been shown any of his layers...

Skippy McPants posted:

I can live with one cartoonish villain when the others are so well fleshed out.

We've seen all his layers, and he's pretty well fleshed out. He's just a very gray character.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
I'm kind of impressed by this page. She's been through a lot of physical and emotional trauma, so it's nice to see her take a moment to escape it and let that emotion out.

I feel like you don't get moments like this very often in comics, let alone webcomics. It's really humanizing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

Oxxidation posted:

The ocean is also anathema to the khert, so once it was submerged and cut off from the city it had nothing left to sustain itself with.

Bad Seafood posted:

IIRC the Khert is something specifically tied to the continent the story takes place on. By washing Cutter's silver-tongued magical construct out to sea, our heroes have effectively isolated it and cut it (and Starfish) off from the rest of the world forever.

This is why I love this thread. You people help keep things sorted for the rest of us and make the comic more enjoyable to read. Thank you!

I was pretty hyped when I saw the cover--that's clearly the queen, and this chapter is bound to be all about her role and/or complicity in the silver weapon plot.