Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet
Starfish and his crew are pretty blatantly absent any kind of redeeming qualities and are introduced as unsympathetic monsters even before you meet them, and yet most of their really heinous stuff sort of happens offscreen, it's gross as hell but I don't think it's reasonable to conclude from it that the author approves of what's going on; there's a difference between that and anime prettyboy who the author tries to depict as like a supernaturally charming magic man luring and then attempting to rapemurder a little girl right there in his introduction, metatextual Deviantart poo poo or no (although going by that he's also an unstoppable power-fantasy superhuman, woohoo). It's not like it's a shocking reveal that this chill-seeming dude's a serial killer, it's like he's obviously a loving serial killer but the framing is treating that like it's a sexy bad-boy thing.

It's entirely possible it'll get played off well and become a sort of 'what the gently caress' scene for the rest of the comic but for anyone who's been exposed to bad internet fiction that kinda character's like the "I'm not racist, but" of sex scenes involving knives, you can hardly be blamed for not wanting to go all the way down the rabbit hole just to see if this isn't the one time ever that it bodes good things.

Tubgirl Cosplay fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Feb 21, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

Crisco Kid posted:

I've been aware of Murkoph and Sette for a long time based on Ashley's other works, but in the context of Unsounded itself, he's only been in a handful of pages and his face is visible in all of two. Two pages. I get that people are extrapolating based off a ton of information from outside the comic, but we don't know how much of that is relevant in the Unsounded universe or storyline. Everything ya'll are worried about may indeed come to pass, but so far in the work itself we have very little information except a villainous character tricked Sette and is actually a bad, creepy dude. It's pretty unfair to the comic to be drawing so many conclusions and speculating on motivation beyond that.

I never read her other comics or looked at any of her other stuff before and the guy was still throwin' out all the ~super special unique OC who's dark and dangerous rawrrr :3~ red flags so whether or not it actually pans out that way in fifty pages or whatever it's certainly a reading the comic as it stands currently supports

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet
Duane is dead people, though.

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

Roland Jones posted:

I think the only one that's not confirmed to be terrible in some manner is the one that young slave kid ended up with that the father who lives in the basement or whatever is part of, and we haven't seen anything of him/them so that's not saying much.

You mean the group of crazy black magicians who do stuff like sacrifice children?

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

Cowcaster posted:

The unwitting hero being tricked into releasing an unspeakable monster from its prison and having to eventually vanquish it is a plot device that is as old as dirt if not older, it shouldn't be hard to find a place for him in the story.

Yeah but I think it's pretty clear loads of people don't want to see him as a recurring villain entire arcs are oriented around, in fact that's sort of exactly the primary concern being expressed. Dude's not horrible and hateful in the sense that he'd be a great antagonist, he's just unpleasant to the point you want to stop watching.

I mean, I'll buy that he can work and Cope knows what the character is and is good for, but there's already one gross sociopathic pedophile major character who doesn't go slithering around naked licking children and that's plenty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

We're getting near the end (of the chapter), so I doubt that the thread is much more than the "Here's reality" trail.

My guess is it leads to the creeper who gave her that control amulet/whatever it was, given the whole, y'know, leash thing. The entire comic from now on is just a succession of sadistic, disturbed anime prettyboys.