Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

GreyjoyBastard posted:

We don't officially know what the secret research project(s) are exactly, just that the military is there for them / they involve water women at least in part / there's a fancy rear end construct lab below the shrine, but the leading theory (that afaik I was the first to come up with in the Discord and here :colbert: ) is that yeah they're trying to create a renewable source of an admittedly low value First Material by keeping the waterwoman alive to generate it. And somehow keep it First Water after it leaves their bodies, via shenanigans, because normally it reverts to Normal Water.

The only other renewable First Material we know of (from tumblr only ATM), unless you're gonna chain up Shaensigin or Ruck and cut bits off of them for a very very very very slowly renewable source of First Salt (and here we CAN infer from comic only that she regens) or efhebyscale, is First Silk - the critters that make it can't reproduce, but they churn it out pretty regularly. Even a pretty garbage First Material, which Water probably is if we compare it to sand or salt, is worth looking into if you can reliably produce more of it forever. Kasslynian scientists are starting to ponder the ramifications of First Materials being in finite supply.

we know from the comic that Alderode is fine expending first sand for mine-marking, and wog is that first salt's most common use is pretty much the same as regular salt despite its rarity... otoh Timofey is made out of (the only remaining?) First Light, so if Water is useful for THAT sort of business instead, we done hit the jackpot with this whole "torture waterwomen forever for their juicy innards" plan

Oh, I had assumed the shrine was keeping the water woman like that to stir up the other sprites and use the resulting storm as a barrier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I was going to make a joke about the very suggestive placement of the jacket sleeves in the bottom left of today's comic, but I guess it might actually have meaning?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Kyte posted:

fwiw I don't think most people know about Quigley beyond "Quigley betrayed the state and stole a weapon in the process" and probably aren't even aware Matty exists.

Isn't there a famous play based on Quigley? At least the sanitized version of his story? Even if it can't be staged back home I'm sure the key notes are known.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Well there's always time for the big reveal of what kind of hosed up poo poo he did in order to get ahold of her as a baby.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Well Lem helped gather some parts for Duane's corpse and smuggled him out of the country, right? Or was that a fever dream of Duane's?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Well I mean shouldn't we? Wasn't there that whole implication that Lem's mind was a bit short circuited by being next to Fitz-Helloie(sp) when the blood curse was levied?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Has she said anything before about the next chapter wrapping up the story?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
No one ever who believes their lived one's are still alive in there ever survives a story about the undead.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
That seems like a very silly thing to agree to.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Bad Seafood posted:

Combined with the above excerpt, it makes more sense than you'd think.

Ever wonder why (historically) a lot of armies wore vivid colors? So you could tell at a glance who was on your side. It's no lean feat, getting thousands of men to cooperate and coordinate in real-time, moving as a single unified force with unified directives. Bright colors, standard bearers, etc., was a mutually-beneficial arrangement that made organizing the chaos manageable. You stick out like a sore thumb, sure, but so do they, and being under fire didn't really matter since the issue was less getting sniped by expert bowmen and more a huge bloc of soldiers all firing "Generally" in your direction, hoping to hit you. So yes, I can see necromancers raising each other's war dead en masse as a bit of an administrative problem.

It doesn't sound like zombies make particularly clever combatants either, unless they're micromanaged, at which point you might as well send in living soldiers. Honestly, their most suitable use seems to be this update: a surprise terror tactic to decimate the enemy from within. Their use here, as a surprise terror tactic, makes perfect sense, but this isn't a traditional battlefield.

I meant more along the lines of agreeing to not use a weapon your opponent is morally opposed to.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Oh I'm sure the other Blacktongues over enunciated his name all the time to make it clear they were saying Paul.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Those are antlers, not bull's horns. She's wearing them.because Esme called her Moose-a.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Depends on the pope